Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale | Green's Gluten Free Beers

good
Read the review
Green's Quest Tripel Blonde AleGreen's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale

Green's Gluten Free Beers
England, United Kingdom
glutenfreebeers.co.uk

Style: Tripel

Brewed and bottled in Lochristi, Gent, Belgium.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007

3.03/5  rDev +2.7%

Reviewed 6/11/2009 (Bottle):

Pours a clear very light golden colored body. Small pure white colored head. Almost looks like apple juice. Very sweet aroma. Sour apples, and grain. Sugar aroma. Grainy taste, some pear. Light taste, hides the alcohol pretty good. Similar to lambic, and also to a Belgian triple.

3.08/5  rDev +4.4%

A - pale copper with a giant thick, dense, white head that has decent retention

S - alcohol, white grapes, grains

T - grains, apples, white grapes, intense boozy alcohol

M - warm, well carbonated, medium bodied

When this beer was cold it was better. As the beer warmed, however, the alcohol became intense and extremely bitey. There was little flavor content or body to stand up to the intense alcohol. I'll avoid this in the future.

3.09/5  rDev +4.7%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Mostly clear but slightly dulled yellow with surprisingly substantial foamy head and lots of lacing.

Smell: Sweet, grainy and adjuncty with some Belgian yeast characteristics of clove and banana.

Taste: Similar to the aroma, it is too sweet and grainy. That said, it has some nice layers of fleshy fruit, banana and clove. Ends with a titch of spicy hops (Styrian?)

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, medium body. Not as dry as a great Tripel, but many American-made Tripels that are not gluten-free are still like this.

Overall: Not bad for gluten-free, but people with gluten issues ultimately would be better served by drinking wine, hard alcohol, cider, etc.

3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

From a bottle at Whole Foods (SC).

Look: Speaking clear body with a weak head.

Unusual aroma and flavor.

Overall: Too sweet and too much like a cider.

3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a goblet, best before 4/10/15. This pours a light golden color with a fizzy short lived white head. The smells are of belgian yeast esters, sweet malts, banana. The feel is medium to thin with a fizzy carbonation. The taste is okay, pretty sweet almost like an apple juice, a dirty flavor. Its okay, not something I'd get again.

3.13/5  rDev +6.1%

The third in the series of Green's gluten-free beers that are now available in Lexington KY. The Trippel is better than the Amber, but not as flavorful as the Dubbel. Starts off with a crystal clear straw - golden color, with ample carbonation, and a large airy foamstand that shows good staying power. (as with most gluten-free beers, when the head is disturbed, it fades very quickly.) Aromas of pears, apples, and appricots swirl with a syrupy sweetness and an odd fermentation 'twang'. The flavors bring out the same fruits found in the scent, along with an artificial and residual sweetness that is as distracting as benificial. Typical of G.F. (gluten free) beers, the body is void of maltiness, richness, or depth; leaving the beer a bit soul-less and coats the mouth with a cola-like syrup. Finishes clean tasting, but feeling oddly sugary. For gluten-free products, this beer does quite well, it just cannot compete with grain-beer counterparts.

3.14/5  rDev +6.4%

500 mL bottle

This gluten free beer poured a clear, golden color with fizzy carbonation and good, white foam that persisted, clung to the glass, and left lacing. The smell was like sour cherries (not sure if this is the way it is intended to smell?). Not an offensive smell, just surprising. The taste was tart cherries and green apples with very low hop presence and a light sweetness. Very unusual flavors. The mouthfeel was fruity and tart with medium body and strong carbonation. The flavors of grain and fruit linger. This is an odd beer, but I did not pour it out.

3.17/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

The last (for now, for me) of the Green's G-F beers and I feel much more conversant about them now than I did going in.

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a heavy pour until it began to foam up and threaten to spill over the sides. It produced two fingers of rocky, tawny head with only moderate retention before it began to fall back into nothingness, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose again held the slight sourness of apple vinegar and I have reached the conclusion that if buckwheat is going to be used as a principal ingredient, that scent and flavor will be a by-product. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like apple jack, that is, home-fermented apple cider. I was inadvertently exposed to this as a child at my maternal grandparent's house and I have never forgotten the flavor. It was tasty and included a slight tartness as from citrus rind. Mmmm. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart but eminently drinkable. I think that I may have found some recommendations for my former colleague!

3.23/5  rDev +9.5%

My third Green's beer. Not holding much hope it will be good, but it does at least make a pretty pour, with a hazy gold color with a nice thick head on top. Fruity nose, with a touch of citrus tartness. Wow, much better tasting than the other two Green's I've had. It's not good, per se, but it's drinkable. There's a tart, bordering on sour, fruitiness, but there's also noticeable citrus hoppiness which does a good job offsetting the terrible off-flavors.

Probably the best gluten-free beer I've had. Which isn't saying much.

3.25/5  rDev +10.2%

Though I have been disappointed by other Green's offerings, I decided to give this one a try, and I am glad I did.

Color is a clear orangy-amber, nothing special but not off-putting. Aroma is crisp and fruity, more on a cider than a beer, a little sweet but not cloying. Flavor is perky, fruity and a little sour, with a nice alcohol zing; it tastes like a mixture of cider and sake - different, and not in a bad way. Texture is smooth and pleasing, a teensy bit watery but not too shabby.

3.26/5  rDev +10.5%

Tried this on a whim after reading about on the Merchant du Vin website. Why not try a gluten-free beer brewed in a classic belgian style?

App: Frothy white head. Nice deep golden color with perfect clarity, for some reason it seems darker than I expect in tripels. Solid amount of lace.

Great fruity nose. Sour apples, white grapes, and lemon that come from the zesty yeast. A touch of sweet alcohol and grain with just enough hoppiness to round the flavor out. Smells a bit more like a saison, but I'm staying open minded.

Taste and mouthefeel: Wow! Pretty darn good here. All the things I look for in my tripels. A strong fruitiness with a hint of funk. Ends dry with a moderate does of hopes that truly round out this flavor.

I've definitely learned that barley malt is what gives beer the body we love. while the flavors of this beer are great, it's definitely missing some meat, both in body and in flavor. The beer seems to be highly carbonated to make up for the body, but I cannot fault them for that.

Definitely a pretty good tripel! Better than some malt versions I have had. Good for those with gluten intolerance and the occasional change of pace. I will be trying the others, but there definitely is a lot of psychology involved in having a gluten-free beer.

3.3/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: This one has been aged 1 year in a cellar. Semi hazy, golden in appearance, some lace.

Smell: Cider, mint possibly from the hops.

Taste: Apple cider, belgian yeast. Sweet. Somewhat tart. Alcohol hidden well. For a blonde/tripel this tastes more like a dry cider.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, semi dry finish.

Drinkability: Not a typical tripel, but a good beverage. If I had a gluten allergy, this could be a staple.

3.3/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Brilliant gold, with nice clarity and a bit of carbonation. A foamy bone white head has nice staying power and leaves bits of lace.

S: Quite sweet in the nose. Apple cider, pear and white grape aromas do the bulk of the work. A light whiff of alcohol keeps the sweetness in check.

T: The sweetness from the nose carries straight to the flavor. Sweet apple cider is what really stands out. Bitterness is very mild, but does add a touch of coriander spice. Alcohol adds warmth to the finish.

M: The medium body is syrupy and has about the right dose of fizz.

D: The is the best of the gluten free beers that I've had. It doesn't have much of a beer taste to it, but does show that you can do good work with sorghum when you try.

3.35/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Hazy orange/amber with 3 fingers of white sea foam that retain well.

S - Grapes, green apples, candy sugar, hints of bubblegum alcohol, spice, slightly acidic.

T - Tart fruit, green grapes and apples, clean white wine flavors, spicy soft grain on the back of the palate. Sweet middle with some yeast esters mixed in. Dry grassy hops clean up the sweetness on the finish.

M - Smooth and clean body with a fizzy dry finish.

Sweet and clean tartness with a dry fizzy finish. This exceeded my expectation being gluten free. I applaud the brewery for this as it doesn't stack up to a BSPA or a Tripel but has the characteristics without the bready malt. I would drink this if I had an intolerance to gluten.

3.37/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle. Pours a bright, slightly hazy orangish-yellow colour. Plentiful aromas of fruit cocktail. Taste offers sweet notes of fruit candy and fruit cocktail. Light bodied, but bold flavours and a pronounced booziness. Mimics the style fairly well for a gluten-free beer.

3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

It is not a bad beer perse, but it isn't one that I see myself being excited about. For such a strong beer it has a watery finish. Taste is like a watery cider, smell is very fruity. The beer pour orangeish brown with a thick white head slow to fade away. Overall this beer is pretty strong though not very satisfying, not sure I would want to drink many of these.

3.47/5  rDev +17.6%

I thought this was a great looking beer. It is blonde orange/brass with a lot of carbonation amber. Beautiful head with great lacing with good retain ability. This beer has a fruity sweet alcohol aroma. It has more of a wine taste to it than a beer taste. It is very dry and somewhat sweet. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. I have not really cared for gluten free beers in the past.

3.48/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +18.6%