Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale | Green's Gluten Free Beers

good
Read the review
Green's Quest Tripel Blonde AleGreen's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale

Green's Gluten Free Beers
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Tripel

Brewed and bottled in Lochristi, Gent, Belgium.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 70 | Ratings: 107
3.23/5  rDev +10.2%

My third Green's beer. Not holding much hope it will be good, but it does at least make a pretty pour, with a hazy gold color with a nice thick head on top. Fruity nose, with a touch of citrus tartness. Wow, much better tasting than the other two Green's I've had. It's not good, per se, but it's drinkable. There's a tart, bordering on sour, fruitiness, but there's also noticeable citrus hoppiness which does a good job offsetting the terrible off-flavors.

Probably the best gluten-free beer I've had. Which isn't saying much.

3.17/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

The last (for now, for me) of the Green's G-F beers and I feel much more conversant about them now than I did going in.

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a heavy pour until it began to foam up and threaten to spill over the sides. It produced two fingers of rocky, tawny head with only moderate retention before it began to fall back into nothingness, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose again held the slight sourness of apple vinegar and I have reached the conclusion that if buckwheat is going to be used as a principal ingredient, that scent and flavor will be a by-product. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like apple jack, that is, home-fermented apple cider. I was inadvertently exposed to this as a child at my maternal grandparent's house and I have never forgotten the flavor. It was tasty and included a slight tartness as from citrus rind. Mmmm. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart but eminently drinkable. I think that I may have found some recommendations for my former colleague!

3.14/5  rDev +7.2%

500 mL bottle

This gluten free beer poured a clear, golden color with fizzy carbonation and good, white foam that persisted, clung to the glass, and left lacing. The smell was like sour cherries (not sure if this is the way it is intended to smell?). Not an offensive smell, just surprising. The taste was tart cherries and green apples with very low hop presence and a light sweetness. Very unusual flavors. The mouthfeel was fruity and tart with medium body and strong carbonation. The flavors of grain and fruit linger. This is an odd beer, but I did not pour it out.

3.13/5  rDev +6.8%

The third in the series of Green's gluten-free beers that are now available in Lexington KY. The Trippel is better than the Amber, but not as flavorful as the Dubbel. Starts off with a crystal clear straw - golden color, with ample carbonation, and a large airy foamstand that shows good staying power. (as with most gluten-free beers, when the head is disturbed, it fades very quickly.) Aromas of pears, apples, and appricots swirl with a syrupy sweetness and an odd fermentation 'twang'. The flavors bring out the same fruits found in the scent, along with an artificial and residual sweetness that is as distracting as benificial. Typical of G.F. (gluten free) beers, the body is void of maltiness, richness, or depth; leaving the beer a bit soul-less and coats the mouth with a cola-like syrup. Finishes clean tasting, but feeling oddly sugary. For gluten-free products, this beer does quite well, it just cannot compete with grain-beer counterparts.

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

From a bottle at Whole Foods (SC).

Look: Speaking clear body with a weak head.

Unusual aroma and flavor.

Overall: Too sweet and too much like a cider.

3.1/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a goblet, best before 4/10/15. This pours a light golden color with a fizzy short lived white head. The smells are of belgian yeast esters, sweet malts, banana. The feel is medium to thin with a fizzy carbonation. The taste is okay, pretty sweet almost like an apple juice, a dirty flavor. Its okay, not something I'd get again.

3.09/5  rDev +5.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Mostly clear but slightly dulled yellow with surprisingly substantial foamy head and lots of lacing.

Smell: Sweet, grainy and adjuncty with some Belgian yeast characteristics of clove and banana.

Taste: Similar to the aroma, it is too sweet and grainy. That said, it has some nice layers of fleshy fruit, banana and clove. Ends with a titch of spicy hops (Styrian?)

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, medium body. Not as dry as a great Tripel, but many American-made Tripels that are not gluten-free are still like this.

Overall: Not bad for gluten-free, but people with gluten issues ultimately would be better served by drinking wine, hard alcohol, cider, etc.

3.08/5  rDev +5.1%

A - pale copper with a giant thick, dense, white head that has decent retention

S - alcohol, white grapes, grains

T - grains, apples, white grapes, intense boozy alcohol

M - warm, well carbonated, medium bodied

When this beer was cold it was better. As the beer warmed, however, the alcohol became intense and extremely bitey. There was little flavor content or body to stand up to the intense alcohol. I'll avoid this in the future.

3.03/5  rDev +3.4%

Reviewed 6/11/2009 (Bottle):

Pours a clear very light golden colored body. Small pure white colored head. Almost looks like apple juice. Very sweet aroma. Sour apples, and grain. Sugar aroma. Grainy taste, some pear. Light taste, hides the alcohol pretty good. Similar to lambic, and also to a Belgian triple.

Reading other reviews of cloudy pours, I wonder what is up with the brewery. Mine was quite clear (almost looked and smelled like cider) and very much on the sweet citrus smelling side.

The initial taste is a reminder of apple or pear cider, not what I expected when the label read Tripel Blonde Ale. That being said, it is still quite drinkable. One person commented about the after taste as it warmed - this is true and I would not suggest this be served ice cold as it covers any flavor this brew contains.

A bit over carbonated (maybe they could cut back on the sorghum or rice???) as all that bubbly was covering the flavor.

Drinkable yes, would I normally, no. For those who are gluten intolerant, it is something nice to have around. I have noticed that most sorghum beers seem to have a certain sweet twang that is just not expected in beers - DeProef Brouwerij is close but they need to get more of the hop flavor going and possibly a bit less on the sugars (this bottle is labled at 8.5% ABV).

Light yellow to orange with a few bubbles and a very foamy head.

The smell wasn't too strong. sweet malts and a little bit of hops.

Its tastes malty with no real bitterness a very mellow flavour with some spices and a bit of sweetness.

Feels pretty thin in the mouth with a small amount of carbonation.

If I had to drink gluten free beer I wouldn't mind drinking this although I prefer the Greens Dubbel to this.

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center of the glass, a thick collar around the edge, and a thin head in between.
S: Light to moderate aromas of apple cider are present in the nose along with some notes of buckwheat.
T: The taste has flavors of sorghum and apples; the sorghum becomes stronger as the beer warms up. A slight amount of bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The smell of this beer isn't that bad because the sorghum is overshadowed by fruity aromas of apples. The sorghum somewhat detracts from the taste and makes it somewhat unpleasant, but if you drink this cold it isn't that bad compared to other gluten-free beers.

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Light orange, fairly heady, with mild haziness. Seems fizzy with high carbonation.

S- The alcohol is very present in the smell,mixed with a pilsner or light lager scent. Actually, if you close your eyes you'd think you were sniffing a pinot grigio. There's also a hint of cider as it warms. Quite a unique and complex aroma.

T&M- The taste is a shock and a half after smelling. It is very sweet, and has a definite cidery feel to it. Gives off an almost sour apple feel to the tongue. Doesn't feel very fizzy or carbonated on the tongue. It is dry, but not very bitter.

D- This is a very complex beer, that seems kind of all over the place. It was not that terrible, but it's not something I would go out of my way to drink or drink on a regular basis.

2.96/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Clear, pale blond with a big frothy white head, very good head retention.

Smell: Sweet and sour; lemon, sugar, husky grains, herbs. A little rough, but not bad.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fairly sour initially. Flavors of lemon and green apple with a bit of astringent herbal bitterness. Sweetens up a bit before the finish, with the green apple flavor really coming forward in the aftertaste. Very light-bodied for the style.

Drinkability: I probably couldn't drink more than 7-8 oz.

Notes: Not impressive as a tripel, but good for a gluten free beer.

2.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A light golden brown brew, with a white millet-y head. A fair amount, but I'll note that the subdued head belies the amount of carbonation. Not the best retention, but I will note that the lacing - spiderweb - is better than I expected.

Grapey, not without some hints of doughy yeast. Those notes, being much like champagne, combine with an apple juice aroma. Umm... a nicely dry champagne, at least.

Made to resemble champagne by virtue of being carbonated, the taste reminds me of a very dry white wine. Light, white bread malts. Green apple. Finish is tart, dry, with hints of yeast.

Prickly, becoming a wee bit creamy. Overly carbonated - it occasionally seems to run roughshod over the taste - and I wonder if this is actually intentional, to cover what might be considered off flavors. Medium bodied.

2.83/5  rDev -3.4%

Contract-brewed in Belgium (by the very capable De Proef) for a UK company. Interesting...especially interesting considering the approach: "Green's Ales DO NOT contain any of the following: Wheat and/or Barley, Crustaceans, Eggs, Fish, Peanuts, Soya beans, Milk, Lactose, Nuts, Celery, Mustard, Sesame Seeds, Sulphur Dioxide and Sulfites". Obviously they're going for beer lovers who suffer allergies. But boy, how could they possibly make a decent beer without eggs or fish?!? Let's see...

Pours a glowing orange-tinted yellow, with legions of bubbles feeding the soapy, sea-foam head. Lace stickage already occurs with the slightest drop of the head.

Smells just like champagne. Tons of green apple and white grape in the nose, plus a little alcohol. Not much else detected. Certainly a novel aroma for any beer. But again: smells just like champagne.

Tastes like champagne too. Crisp Granny Smith apples...lightly tart white grape...bubbly texture. A little spiciness comes into play, a kiss of honey, and some alcohol warming...these are its strongest comparisons to a tripel. There's an odd aftertaste, which is probably just the unusual grain bill (millet, rice, buckwheat, sorghum). It's quite a bit different and much less complex than most tripels I've had...even the bad tripels.

Pretty heavily carbonated, though soft, not at all soda-like. Here again it draws more comparisons to champagne.

There's something interesting here, but it just feels alien. It's a beer made with some unusual stuff, and maybe that's why it doesn't feel "right". Certainly not the kind of sweet, bold, malty, spicy, boozy tripel we know and love. It is absolutely admirable in intent. If I had some allergy that prevented me from drinking beer made of traditional ingredients, there are worse alternatives out there. But unless you're allergic to some or all the above stated ingredients that this is brewed without, you could live without it.

2.83/5  rDev -3.4%

Brewed and bottled by DeProef in Belgium. I have no clue as to why it's under a brewer from the UK.

It pours a slightly hazy pale orange with a good 1 finger head of foam with some lacing.

The smell is pretty sweet...candy sugar mostly, some green apple tartness, umm..that's about it. Nothing wrong with that aroma.

Green apple tartness in the taste, some sweet candy sugar in the flavour as well. and some definite spiciness though I'm hard pressed to define it. Be forewarned, my bottle's label says best before Jan 15, 2010 so I must be drinking it not as intended by the brewer. Very much a cider like brew at this stage but not a drain pour.

Very bubbly, thin bodied, again, very cider like.

Drinkabilty is not bad. Despite it being very unbeer like, it goes down easy and the alcohol is not noticeable. Would I buy it again? Not likely. The resemblance to beer has been lost...ymmv.

2.63/5  rDev -10.2%

I have no health reason to consume gluten-free beers. However, I work in a store that carries several varieties, and I've found my advice to be helpful to many customers. So, when a local vendor handed a bottle of Greene's Quest to me for sampling, I couldn't disappoint my customers and not try it myself!

The color is very much in the vein of tripels: it's a hazy (nearly opaque,) dark amber with light, golden highlights. The snow-white head didn't disappoint. It began a half-inch thick and slowly dissolved into a lean, foamy lacing around the perimeter of the liquid. It's with the aroma that things start getting weird. A lot of unusual scents emerge, including lemon and grape, and an odd essence I can only best describe as soap. It's not an offensive smell, but certainly not what one is used to with this style.

Much of the aroma is reflected in the flavor. The same sort of fruit characteristics are present, as well as a cola-like element that reminds me of ginger ale only not as sweet. As the beer begins to warm, a pleasing aftertaste can be noticed: a mild (and I do mean mild) bit of dark, ripe fruit can be extracted, as well as a bit of honey-style sweetness. Unfortunately, the carbonation hinders the overall taste experience–at least for me.

I don't find this beer particularly offensive; in fact, I found it somewhat pleasing, especially as it warmed. Don't get me wrong, it really cannot be compared to grain beers of this style. But, if I were gluten intolerant I wouldn't mind having this around.

2.62/5  rDev -10.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: It has an orange/golden color with a hazy body and a tall head from the pour. This head slowly fades out leaving no covering or lacing.

Smell: The aroma has a light wine like character with apple skins and just a touch of citrus and yeast spice.

Taste/Palate: Up front there is a light grain and an odd apple skin like fruity sweetness with a touch of bready/spicy yeast. The finish has a dry and tart white wine like character that smacks the palate. The body has a light medium feel with balanced carbonation.

Notes: As a Belgian Tripel it’s an epic fail!!! As a gluten free beer it has more character than most. Still I don’t think I would recommend this beer to anyone.

2.62/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Kind of awful. I don't understand how this is called a Belgian triple. Starts sweet and finishes with a very harsh in your face boozy sweetness. As mentioned below its like a cider. Won't be getting this again especially for the price I paid..

2.59/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Smell: faint herbs, cloves, citrus, and pears

Taste: subtle clementines, herbs (I'm not a cook so I could only tell you this beer tastes like the 'green' ones), and hints of apple cider pervade throughout; heavy rice, bitter oats, and slightly sour gains prevail during each sip

I'm sorry if you have a gluten allergy; this beer doesn't do it for me and it probably won't for you either. Some people may like the taste of sour yeast, oats, and rice but as for yours truly, it's very overbearing and kills the potential it has with some of its other flavors. Maybe if you pair it with a veggie pizza that includes heavy Alfredo sauce it may work

Sorry greens

2.48/5  rDev -15.4%

Color is right but the head is like soap suds. Golden color & no head retention. The smell has some of the right notes, a bit of apricots up front. But then, that sulphur-molases smell hits me. I'm afraid a little. Taste starts ok, again, some fruit. But then it finishes metallic, sour, bitter, and desert (not dessert) dry. Mouthfeel is about right, with more substance than it looks. Drinkability just isn't there. Again, like the other gluten-free offering I've tried from Green's. I applaud their effort & aspirations. Now I'm going to go have a beer.

2.46/5  rDev -16%

500ml bottle, a Belgian-style (well, it should be, given that this is brewed in Belgium) Tripel, made with a who's who of alterna-grains: millet, buckwheat, rice and sorghum.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden copper colour, with two fingers of rather puffy, and yet thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves some table top cloud lace around the glass as it gently settles.

It smells of sweet white grape juice concentrate, candy sugar, gritty honey, more than a bit of green apple tartness, and a weak herbal/leafy bitterness. The taste is medicinal, and mildly gag-inducing, sweet non-wheat and/or barley graininess, boozy apple cider, edgy yeast (oh, hello Belgian Tripel characteristics!), and hops that are indeed there, but hard to discern beyond their general drying nature, as they are pretty much obfuscated by that cough syrup broadside.

On to the carbonation - it's fairly average, and generally unobtrusive in comparison, the body more akin to watered down apple juice than beer, yet the gods of smoothness appear to throw this one a bone. It finishes off-dry, the musty apple character becoming more prevalent, and begrudgingly welcome in its supplanting of that earlier medicinal astringency.

Urgh. I'm taken back to defending my position on tofu 'burgers': it may sort of look like the real deal, but if it isn't made with the same ingredients, how can you truly expect it to taste like it? Oh, right. You can't. While this is not as egregiously awful as some of its G-F compadres, my heart still goes out to the celiac beer lovers out there. C'est trop mal.

2.45/5  rDev -16.4%

It looks like a weak ginger ale, and smelled remotely tripel-like. The flavor was more like a very clean, crisp cider made in somebody's basement. To be most objective, the beer wasn't bad, but it didn't taste like beer. If I was gluten intolerant, I would just switch to cider rather than pay the high price for this one if only to say I can still drink "beer."

2.34/5  rDev -20.1%

This gluten-free Belgian tripel pours out a transluscent apricot hue, a massive amount of carbonation action at first. Tall chunky off white head that settles to a merrengue-textured cap. A thick wall of spongy, coral-like lacing coats the inside of the glass.

Tart, acidic grains on the nose, along with a mildly astringent herbal character. Some soft fruity floral notes, along with a slick soapy presence.

Honestly, it tastes like young homebrew out of the secondary carboy right before you're getting ready to bottle. The "malt" flavour is clean yet tart and acidic (from the rice I would imagine), some citrus notes like that of small young tangerines, with a rolling alcohol presence on the finish. Bitter leafy hops linger on in the aftertaste, as well as the malt tartness. Some spices show up as it warms to near room temperature. Yeah, it's taking me that long to finish...

The mouthfeel is thin and smooth, almost velvety. The carbonation is full yet rounded out.

Well then, I've had some challenging tripels, but this one has to top that list, and that includes palatability. Perhaps an alternative for the seriously gluten-intolerant, but I can't fathom much appeal for any mass-marketing beyond that demographic, except for maybe the hard-core vegan crowd as well (after reading the side of the bottle of what it *does not* contain).

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast