Green's Amber Ale | Green's Gluten Free Beers

Liked:
3.32/5
Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Went to the closet and grabbed the one green hat I own, to sit and sip.
Gluten free is not really something I need, but worth a go..
Purchased in Squamish BC. in their singles rack, brought it home, chilled it overnight and poured into a snifter the next day.
Belgian so a hint of molasses and candy in the scent,, which was just a tiny bit thin.
Poured nicely, nolaceatall.
Good mouthful got a slightly tinny taste but some hints of a dubbel style, Crispy taste, not bad,
Hand warmed a touch made it mellow out, slight bitterness remained.
I really don't know if I would pursue this again unless I was faced with a row of rice beers. For those who need a gluten free lifestyle, I'll bet it provides a more complex taste than others, so there is that.I can only think the brewmaster had to fight a little to get the nuance he wanted, and I think it is a more than fair attempt.

3.2/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer pours a nice amber color. The head was white, 1 finger.
The nose has got an interesting sweetness to it. Slight boozy smell also.
The taste is interesting. There's not a lot to it, but there's some sweetness, followed by a bitter flavor. There's almost a cider flavor to this beer.
Feel is on the watery side.
Overall, I'm not too impressed. For 99 cents, it was a good purchase, but it isn't something I'll get again.

3.91/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.34/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thick reddish color with a very light brown head that's almost lumpy, I loved the fact that in no way did this beer resemble a light American lager. Very drinkable but almost to the point of being bland with the light tastes of fruits and graininess being almost lost. Kind of reminded me of a washed out Trappist's beer.

3.34/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear reddish amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface and the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of black cherries and sorghum are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the flavors of black cherries and sorghum are a bit stronger, the latter of which lingers through the finish.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Compared to many of the other gluten-free beers that I've had, this isn't overly difficult to drink because the sorghum flavors are somewhat balanced off by the fruity notes of cherries.

2.95/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

I Pop!ped the cap and commenced a fairly heavy-handed pour which created three fingers of dense, puffy, deep-tan head that slowly fell, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose had a now-familiar sour sweetness, what I have been likening to molasses, but which I now believe to have come from the buckwheat. Buckwheat pancakes are definitely an acquired taste and I can understand why an average of 53 raters have given it a score of "Poor", but I have a different mindset. Mouthfeel was medium with a lot of carbonation. Taste was sharp and cheesy and for a second, I thought of Cheddar Cheese! It is definitely an oddball, but if you like Gueuzes, then this may be of interest to you. I am not sure that I would recommend it to a G-F drinker, but it was not downright poor. The finish left a bittersweet taste in my mouth and I was back to thinking about molasses. What a strange beer! Poor? No way, but definitely not for everyone.

3.06/5  rDev -7.8%

3.01/5  rDev -9.3%

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

1.8/5  rDev -45.8%

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.44/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ML bottle
Served in an imperial nonic glass

A - It is tea colored with some amber highlights. It is capped with three inches of tan head that actually leaves some nice lacing. The head settles down to less than an inch of dense foam.

S - The first thing that comes to mind is cider. I get a definite apple smell.

T - The taste also is of apple cider. but not as defined as the smell. There is a sharp hop bitterness that cuts the apple taste off.

M - Medium leaning towards full.

O - I have not had many gluten free beers, so I am not familiar with their characteristics. That being said, I thought this was an interesting beer. I actually liked it. If I go gluten free I will revisit. Until then I'm good.

2.08/5  rDev -37.3%

Color- woody amber. Full head.

Aroma- brown sugar and hint of hops. T

aste- a lackluster brew. Starts malty and yeasty, moving to a lightly sugared middle, finishing poorly on an acidic tinny and hoppy note. I shouldn't have bought a gluten free beer.

Poured from 500 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Purchased at Whole Foods in North Austin. Tasted June 2014.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%