Kick-Ass Brown | C.H. Evans Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-19-2002

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.48/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Deep ruby brown, I can barely see my hand through it without holding the glass up the the light.

Smell: Earthy hop aroma with hints of darker malts.

Taste: Amazing, this is my kind of brown ale. Nice and hoppy, with a strong malt backbone. I can taste the Amarillo hops for sure, and they accent the malts surprisingly well.

Mouthfeel: This sat in the growler for five days after my most recent trip to Albany, but the carbonation has held up perfectly.

Drinkability: I could drink this all the time, I wish I could get it local. My girlfriend bought me the first growler for my birthday and I will definatly be filling it up whenever I'm in Albany.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

first beer i get to try while visiting the albany pump station heard great things about this place decided to take a slight detour while spending time upstate

poured out deep red almost like a chestnut brown into my sample glass i asked for a small sampler glass so i could inspect the beer better

aroma was really awesome i smelt lots of burnt or roasted malts in there also some coffee smell and even almonds and cherries too

same in the taste the beer has wonderful balance but you could not get any hops in the nose but now you get the hops in force in the taste this is a really great brown ale

great creamy mouthfeel this beer is really good i think i need to get a growler of it to go for the weekend

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Sampled 06/30/06. Review from notes.

Rated best American Brown Ale at the Great American Beer Fest 2002, 2002.

A: Pours a reddish dark brown color with a half finger off white head. Decent lace.
S: Huge floral hop presence, which I was not expecting, but definitely liked. Slight maltyness behind the hops. This is one odd Brown Ale.
T/M: Huge grapefruit and pine hop notes up front. Only huge because this is a brown ale and I wasn’t expecting it. Good caramel malt backbone to compliment the hops—As I wrote that I though, shouldn’t this be the other way around? Smooth mouthfeel that bites a tad as its going down. Good bitterness. Well balanced and medium bodied. A tad more hops than malts--who am I kidding, a lot more hops than malts..
D: Highly drinkable beer, but beware if you’re looking for your ordinary brown ale. This is not your ordinary brown ale. I was very pleased that I ordered this as I don’t usually like browns, but it surpassed it’s billing as one “Kick Ass Brown.”

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A chocolate color, darker than mahogany. Small off-white head, tight lacing. Smells of floral hops, sweet candy malt, and chocolate. The flavor is a grand balance of malt and hops. Strong toasty munich malt flavor, chico-ish neutral yeast, and high alpha American hops. Lingering earthy toasty grain. Clean yet present bitterness. Very medium body = good drinkability and good feel.

Definitely one of the best brown ales that I have had. The only thing lacking in this one is some yeast character. Great beer!

4.44/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance gets average marks only because the cask was still settling. The brewer was warning us all about hop chunks, but none found their way into my glass - what did find its way was an astoundingly quaffable American brown ale just loaded with hop character. The distinct smell of fresh hops dominated the aroma. The flavor started out with a full frontal spicy, citric, bitter hop assault, with a creamy (gotta love cask!) slightly roasty malt backbone that balanced things out beautifully. The finish was bitter but not astringently so. I've had it on tap and enjoyed it, but the cask version floored me.

Cask conditioning absolutely shows off this two-time GABF winner in its best light. They usually put a cask on on Friday evenings - definitely worth a trip. Many thanks to brewer George DePiro for hauling this one out on Saturday afternoon to slake the thirst of a couple of BAs.

Edit, 5/5 - No cask for a while. Yet on tap this beer just keeps getting better.

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Sampled on-tap in a very, very dimly lit beer bar in the middle of nowhere (Krumville, NY.) Pint glass. Notes would have been better but I feel funny writing when people are lookin' at me as I do so...

A-I can barely see this beer, but it's a reddish dark amber? Excellent looking 1/2" beige head, lace is excellent...all down my pint glass.
S-This is a brown ale? Most IPA-ish scents leap into my nostrils. Maybe they brought me the wrong beer. Nope, it's correct; and it's CORRECT. Hop extravaganza for a brown ale, damn, I feel lucky to have stumbled into this beer...Hops are either tons of cascade or amarillo....maybe both.
T-MMM...lip smackingly delicious. Kick-ass brown is right. Tons of hops here, and I picked this beer by blind luck. Real nice bitterness cut through my burger with gorgonzola like a ginsu knife. I really like this beer.
Good malts flavor as well, though I keep lovin' the hops. I can't say it's balanced for most people, but for me it's perfect.
M-Perfect for the style. Light medium mouthfeel. In a beer bar with 500 choices, I had 3 of these....I couldn't help it!
D-Supreme drinkability. After one of these there is only one option: more, please! I'd love to have this beer in bottled form chilled in the DBF right now; it'd be a definate go-to beer for all occasions for me, the IPA lover!

CRUX: BEST BROWN ALE I EVER HAD. KICK-ASS INDEED! Highly recommended. Please bottle this soon! !

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

On tap at The Country Inn. A goodly brown color with a sparse off white head and steady carbonation. Aroma of caramel and some citrus is light and doesnt instantly indicate a brown ale.
Body is light to medium as it warms with a very different kind of toffee sweetness that blends excellently with sharp hop flavors.Smooth and creamy mouth feel.
Finish is also a mix of earthy hop and tasty toffee. Highly drinkable and a fine beer with Big flavor w/out being heavy or highly alcoholic. Next to other ales named for thier brown color, this one stands out.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

I used to enjoy Brown Ales quite a bit, but found they were getting much too bland lately. Well, this bier makes up for all the past bland browns. Poured a clear, deep copper/mahogany color. Great color! Head was thin, fine and had tightly-packed bubbles, with nice lacing in the glass. Upon taking a whiff I was smacked with loads of robust, floral hops (Horizon/Amarillo and Crystal, according to the bier-menu). Great nose! Mouthfeel, in general, was medium. A touch of malt sweetness is initially present but is soon overwhelmed by lots o' hops. It is a great melange of hops, providing a luscious, longlasting aftertaste. A superb bier, which DOES kick-ass! My travelling Bro, Artied2, a big-time HopHead, concurred wholely! Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.35
appearance: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Dark orangey/light brown with a small head that leaves some nice lacing patterns. Carbonation is rapid, and consists of many tiny bubbles. The aroma is that of a very hoppy pale ale, although the malt base is bigger, and may have some roast to it as well. The hops used escape me as this seems a bit muddled, although reminiscent of a maltier pump station pale ale. The taste is maltier still, but the hops come back in the middle and dry out the finish like a bat out of hell. Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Drinkability is killer. This is a very interesting beer specimin. I wish it were available closer to home.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is probably my favorite brews at the Pump Station, The brew pours to a nice dark brown color with not much of a head. The aromas from it are very hoppy with some roasted malt tones. The taste is superb; I could drink a afternoon away with this brew! Have always been surprised at the hop it has but seems to be balanced perfectly with the roasted malt flavors. One wish is that it would be a bit heavier/thicker. Can’t wait for my next experience, would love to try it on cask sometime!

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a really satisfying Brown ale. Hold on, let me start over. This is a fantastic and excellent Brown ale. Having never been to the Albany Pump Station, I happened to be there a week ago for a pre-wedding something. While the wedding stuff was happening, I was able to sit at the bar and enjoy a handful of these vessels of delicious. Goes well with an hearty meal, with its own abudance of hearty. I no little about the Brewing Company, but I have had my share of beers and this one ranks competitively with the best. Very enjoyable and I am very impressed with this American Brown.

Enjoy!

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Got it at the brewpub on 4/23/11.

A: Served in a pint glass. The body is brownish-red (or maybe reddish-brown is more accurate), with a small off-white head. Leaves behind real good lace.

S: Sweet malt - caramel, toffee - and roasted malt. Touch of citric hops.

T: Very nice - good malt foundation that follows the nose (caramel, toffee, some brown sugar). This is followed by a nice citrusy, bitter finish that leaves a clean, drying impression.

M: Just about medium in heft, carbonation is appropriate.

O: This is probably the "flagship" ale at the Pump Station, and for good reason. I could easily quaff this one for awhile and not get bored with it. . . .

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

this beer drinks like a dark pale ale with an intense hoppiness in the nose and great grain character. It's quite sweet with loads of hop bitterness to complement. The carbonation really pushes this beer into a light, drinkable brown ale. Very effing tasty beer

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

By far my favorite brown

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Pours a really deep and rich brown color. Little bit of brownish head that fades fairly quickly, but keeps good lacing.

S - Earth hops and nutty aroma. A bit of coffee smell alongside.

T - Nice and full hoppy flavor throughout. Dark brown malty and nutty flavors join alongside the hops. The flavor overall stays fairly sweet and well balanced even with many elements.

M - Medium carbonation, and really smooth and crisp. The feeling of the beer is also fairly creamy without feeling too heavy,

D - This is a really complex but well balanced beer throughout which allows for a fairly drinkable and enjoyable beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

The appearance is ruby brown with a mocha brown head. Through head shrinks, the lace is magnified. Thick and murky.

The smell is heavy resiny pine of a thick IPA. Some earthy malts but the brown is overwhelmed. Dynamite. Evolves as it warms up, with more nutty malts emerging.

The taste is a major pine and oak. As it warms, that nutty brown malts peeks its head out, sweetening the pot a bit. It's really fantastic.

The feel is thick, milky and creamy, like chocolate milk. This is a rich, deep beer. When it warms up to room temp, it is world class.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25