Ipswich Route 101 West Coast Style India Pale Ale
Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich Route 101 West Coast Style India Pale AleIpswich Route 101 West Coast Style India Pale Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: Named for the 1,550 mile U.S. Route 101 that spans the Pacific coastline, this hop forward, west coast style IPA packs a citrus-like punch with an understated malt backbone that you're sure to enjoy.
Reviews: 37 | Ratings: 228 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by hudsonvalleyslim:
4.15/5  rDev +4%

Ipswich Route 101 West Coast Style IPA, imbibed on many occasions in the past, and this afternoon on draft at the brewery. Fresh, hoppy, somewhat fruity, nice alternative to their flagship IPA, which I think is very underrated. Ipswich in general is underrated - 25 years of superb brewing. Game-changer for me.

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This brewery has been pretty good, very underrated IMO. Hopefully their take on a west coast IPA is great.

Pours a decent fizzy almost fluffy 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace then slows to a crawl, nice frothy lacing, semi hazy nectar orange color with a column of streaming bubbles.

Nose is quite nice, plenty of citrus, lots of it, orange rind, grapefruit pith, some juicy citrus fruit like fresh squeezed juice, a mild fruity generic fruit punch tropical notes, a little grapefruit and generic tropical fruit too, so much juice, with a touch of a resinous musty note in there, faint hint of malt too.

Taste brings more hops, a little resinous note with touch of sap and pine notes. Then more fruit, big fruit, little tropical fruit note and some berry fruit punch like, into some decent citrus, some orange rind, plenty of pith and some decent grapefruit notes, hint of fruity bubblegum. The grassy mild piney resinous flavor starts to surge as it goes, with a bit of a spicy hop note, as the mildly sweet malty note attempts to come through but barely balances the beer before disappearing. Finish is fairly dry, bit of a spicy hop note, little more resin and hint of pine, bit more grapefruit pith and citrus peel, long lingering fair bitterness.

Mouth is med bod, slight fluffy feel, nice carb.

Overall pretty nice IPA, again this brewery seems to deliver consistently and is very underrated. I think that they just don't get out there much and they don't make any huge beers (other than that big magnum anniversary series a few years ago), so they get kinda lost in the great breweries discussions. Either way another solid beer from Ipswich.

4.11/5  rDev +3%

A - Clear gold body, thick white head. Leaves moderate lacing
S - Hop punch, citrus, floral, pine resin. No detectable malt.
T - More balanced than the nose. Lightest of caramel malt. Then tons of hops. It's all there.
M - Medium body, high carb. Bitterness lingers long after tasting.
O - I was blown away by this beer. Many East coast breweries try to make a West coast IPA. This is the best one I've had. It helps that the pricing is very fair.

4.21/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Not sure of bottle date. 170816 = 8/17/16?

Pours a little bit cloudy, bright yellow/orange with full bright white head which hangs around for a bit.

Smells of tangerine, pineapple, very citrusy. Faint bread malt background.

Taste isn't as citrusy as the nose at first and animal cracker taste from the malts is fairly present with a light lemon juice flavor. Carries some buttery taste as well.

Lighter body with pretty lively carbonation on the tongue. Approaching a little bit of a watery feel but carbonation keeps it somewhat crisp and clean. Faint bitterness lingers some.

Pretty good IPA, not sure if I'm right on the bottling date but if this is 6months old, it's held up really well.

see through with slight haze. straight forward hops, citrusy with a solid grapefruit bitterness. tasty and drinkable. Super solid 10 dollar go to six pack; as far as meeting that criteria, ipswich is a great brewery.

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Hmm this beer is truly a West Coast IPA. For starters, it has a tad bit watery mouthfeel, but as far as taste and aroma goes it is fairy tropical (citrus wise) and oh boy is it DANK! The hops sneak up on the palate and explode mid sip. Has a bitter, dry, crisp finish. I liked it….it's definitely a beer that for the price ($9.99/6 pack and $12.99/ 12 pack) makes it hard to beat.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Love the label on this beer,my favorite part of the country,San Fran to Seattle along the coast...anyways.Pours into a standard pint a light golden with a thin sticky white head atop.Juicy citrus and tropical fruits in the nose makes it pretty inviting.Great hop complexity on the palate,juicy but with a bitter finish,a dryer crisp malt base compliments the different hop flavors well.Now this is a great IPA...better than alot of the west coast brewers...yup I said it.

4.41/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I think that I picked this up during one of my many forays up to New England. I have a number of friends up there & it usually does not take much to get me to come up, especially for a weekend.

From the CAN: "Brewed in Historic Ipswich, MA"; "A West Coast style IPA with bold hop flavor and aroma"; "Naturally Brewed"; "Unfiltered Ale".

I Crack!ed it open and suddenly, I was transported back to Oxnard, CA, where I spent five years towards the end of my U.S. Navy career! My buddy, Scotty, was behind the wheel of a 1969 Chevy Malibu & waiting for me in the parking lot of Sam's Saloon. I CANducted a gentle Glug as he peeled out and down South Saviers Road, headed for The 101 North. The beer was unfiltered & our gas was unleaded as we passed through Ventura & I gave the glass a swirl to raise a finger of dense, foamy, bone-white head with good retention. Color was the Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) of the beach bunny's hair that I was with the other night in Malibu. I think her name was Barbie. It held NE-quality clarity, but we were headed straight north, nowhere near Nebraska. "Dude, Woody, man, what is in that CAN?!? It smells like straight-up weed! Dig, we both qualify for medical m.j., but I didn't know you were into that." No worries, Scotty-Bro. It did, indeed, have a dank quality that filled the vehicle, but it also had a menthol-mintiness that had my hophead mouth watering. My first, ahem, hit revealed a medium mouthfeel. The taste was beautiful, clean, minty, cool & refreshing. I spent yesterday spinning my wheels on Session AIPAs, so this drank bigger than I expected at only 6%. It was a blast and we blasted northbound at 101 per before approaching San Francisco, where we were going to spend the night with my Uncle Steve at his pad in Noe Valley at 110 Valley Street # 2. We picked up his friend, Jack Fleiner, and the four of us went to dinner at Mai's Chinese Restaurant in the Inner Sunset before checking out the selection of used books at The Green Apple. We finished up in the Haight as I finished my beer with a flourish. It was minty, dry and totally refreshing. I need to make more trips like this! More CANs, please.

4.31/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in a nonic at the Glenville Stops in Allston.

Appearance: A minimal head was poured that reduced to a tiny layer. It is a hazy pale orange color with little vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Very characteristic of cask beer. Spotty lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Tangerine, grapefruit, citrus, grassy, herbal, toasted, and pale caramel malts.

Taste: Nice balance of hops and malt with nice tingly bitterness in the rear. Herbal, citrus, grassy, some resiny notes, and very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied, little to low carbonation, mild bitterness, and a little chewy.

Overall: Even with the lack of carbonation in this cask beer, it was very tasty and enjoyable. I'll definitely try out the bottle and draft versions in the near future.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

3.75/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.83/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

3.46/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into a tulip glass. Had 7/20/17.

Pours a somewhat hazy yellow, with a one and a half inch foamy head with good retention and foamy lacing. Not much going on with the aroma, it’s kind of resiny, light yeast, something I can’t identify. The taste is resiny, some grapefruit, light malt. It is bitter. Fairly smooth, a decent light to medium body, appropriately carbonated.

The bottle might be old, I don’t know. It’s okay, there’s just not anything to point to. Its bitterness is its most outstanding feature.

Ipswich Route 101 West Coast Style India Pale Ale from Ipswich Ale Brewery