1. We need your support. Become a Premium member now for as little as $1.99 a month. And, if you join this month you can help us beta test our new app!
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Spruce | Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich Ale Brewery
Massachusetts, United States
ipswichalebrewery.com

Style: American IPA

We’re pleased to bring you this delicious marriage of hops and spruce tips in a tasty seasonal IPA mash up. Be not afraid ye timid imbiber! The spruce tips add a complimentary, subtle spruce note with a hint of fruity sweetness and mint that works perfectly with hop forward beers. Best enjoyed at warm holiday gatherings amongst kith and kin, and for quenching one’s thirst after the Festivus feats of strength. Cheers! From all of us at Ipswich Ale Brewery.

Reviews by Mleblanc25:

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

I wasn't quite sure what I thought about this beer when I had the first one, but by the end of the 4 pack I've come to like it quite a bit. It's more of an older school IPA hop wise, but it takes a note from newer versions in that the bitterness is more in the moderate range. If this wasn't called a spruce tip IPA I'm not sure I would wonder whether the pine must be coming from something more than just the hops. But it's a well rounded pine flavor and not as sharply resinous as you might expect given the name.

It also has a nicely prominent malt backbone with not a hint of an overly heavy or sweet caramel edge (i know some people appreciate that in an IPA but I tend not to). Another winner from Ipswich.

Spruce from Ipswich Ale Brewery