Celia Saison

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Celia SaisonCelia Saison
Notes: Gluten-free Saison-style beer made with sorghum and brewed with orange peel.

Previously brewed by The Alchemist, Ipswich now owns the brand and production.
Reviews: 82 | Ratings: 249
Reviews by Moneypenny:
2.64/5  rDev -18.5%

I feel like a heel giving this "beer" such a low rating. It tries so hard to be what it's not. Plus my daughter brought it to me as a gift. There's enought alcohol to make it amusing, but where is the flavor? This is like those lo-cal crackers made of rice that taste more like air or styrofoam chips than they do food. I suppose it has an "ethereal" quality. If I could not under any circumstances drink beverages with wheat, this would be an okay consolation prize--the cheap rubber toy in a sea of giant stuffed Clifford dogs. But I would not consider spending my own money on it. Let the gluten intolerant eat cake.

3.58/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz bottle from the brewery poured into dogfish tulip glass

A-pours light copper with a bubbly white head
S- big Belgian yeast, banana, a little orange
T/M- slightly dry from start to finish, I get Belgian yeast, licorice, a little orange zest, ironically tastes a little bready, finishes little sour. After a few sips I get a little tomato flavor. Mouthfeel is as expected for the style.
O- yeah this isn't a greatest beer but it beats drinking cider all the time for those who can't drink gluten. It could use more orange flavor to balance out the bitterness. I'm glad to see a gluten free offering and I'm glad I got to try it. I don't think it's fair to compare this to HT and if I couldn't drink gluten I'd be even more excited to see this.

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Gluten free beers are something I've sought only because my GF is gluten intolerant. Once in a while it's nice to cheers beers!

Anyway, this was okay, a little thin and uninteresting. So far, nothing that's Gluten Free can match Tweason'ale. I'll keep searching, but this Saison won't be the go-to for her.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

3.21/5  rDev -0.9%

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.67/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

You know, I liked the bottle and bought a 4-pack of these, and only at the register did I notice I'd just bought gluten-free beer!!! Dun dundun...Oh well, I was too curious by then. This beer appeared to be marketed as a delicious thing and not just a beer that doesn't have gluten, so perhaps it's drinkable, quaffable, not just laughable.
I had a couple of these bottle with dinner that night (I think it was pasta) and it didn't really go and I thought, well, the Mrs. likes it and it ain't half bad to my tastes, better than Blue Moon. (Whenever I'm not crazy about a beer I think, "well, it's better than Blue Moon")
But now I'm having it with a clear palate and I must say I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
The mouthfeel is the most unique aspect of this saison, as you can definitely feel the bubbles buckle on your tongue sort of like a soda but without the syrup taste of soda, instead, it's like orange peel and then a yeasty aftereffect. It's a little sour a little bitter and a little sweet. Sunshine on the nose (that's right).
I grabbed it from the fridge because I wasn't really in the mood for any of the four IPA in there and now I'm just basking in its yeasty curves.

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Celia Saison from Ipswich Ale Brewery