Celia Saison | Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich Ale Brewery
Massachusetts, United States
ipswichalebrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Gluten-free Saison-style beer made with sorghum and brewed with orange peel.

Previously brewed by The Alchemist, Ipswich now owns the brand and production.

Added by grub on 06-14-2010

2.52/5  rDev -22.5%

Thanks to Eric for this one. 12oz. bottle into a Duvel artist tulip.

Pours a 1 finger foamy white head with moderate retention. Beer is semi-cloudy dull orange. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling. Slightly below average for the style.

Nose is coriander, citrus peel, some soapiness, mild sweetness, and a sprinkling of other spices. Decent.

Opens medicinal. Some spiciness upfront but big ethanol notes towards the middle with only a hint of citrus to smooth things out at the back. Spicy finish with a mild hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Not very good.

Light bodied with high carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth but goes down abrasive and boozy and slightly dry. Aftertaste is dry and lingering. Lacking the quenching, refreshing body I want from the style.

For a brewery that put out Heretic, Luscious, and Heady Topper, I'm sorely disappointed by this one. This is my first gluten-free beer and likely my last if this is what they taste like. A good effort, but this beer isn't a good representation of the brewery.

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

2.62/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, whartontallboy!

Hazed dark orange with a small off-white head that doesn't leave much in the way of stick down the glass. Appropriate for the style.

The aroma is easily the best aspect of this beer. It's actually quite nice, and does nothing to warn the sorry drinker who's about to put it to his lips. There's nice floral and citrus elements, along with some bread, and a hint of barnyard. Quite nice.

The flavor, however, is a different story. It's overly bitter, and none of the floral and citrus elements present in the nose appear in the flavor. There's some chemical flavor in sip, swallow, and finish, with an astringent alcohol tone as well. Not good.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. This is not where this beer falls apart.

I didn't notice it at first, but this is a gluten-free beer. I believe it is my first, and, this one did nothing to get me excited to try my second. I'm either going to continue smelling this or drainpour it--I haven't decided yet.

3.8/5  rDev +16.9%

Stumbled upon this rather randomly at the bottle shop. Bought it for two reasons: A. I love Saisons; B. It's brewed by Alchemist, who are supposed to be pretty kick-ass according to their IPA reputation. I'd also like to mention that this is right up there with HopSlam in my favorite labels contest.

Golden, glowing orange hue, decent lacing and a semi frothy white head. Eh...nothing spectacular, but nothing horrendous either.

Loads of citrus fruit, mainly that of orange. Some spiciness as well, but I don't get that funk kick that I love out of my Saisons.

Taste is rather more complex than the nose. That fruitiness hinted at is very present, a bit of candied malt, mild spiciness and a lingering hop bite at the conclusion. Mild alcohol presence. Not bad, not bad at all.

A bit off in consistency; feels a bit flat and no where near as effervescent as I like my Farmhouse brews. Still drinks rather easily though.

Overall, not bad, but I was expecting big things because of the brewery on the label. Still a interesting brew to try. I sent out a few as extras recently so I'll have to see what they think. Really need to track down some Heady...

3.25/5  rDev 0%

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.66/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy straw yellow with a thin skim of whitish bubbles. Decent retention. Strange aroma, bananas and a bit of citrus, with a pronounced sweat sock character, a bit spicy. Lemony and citrus bitterness with fruity sweetness and a spicy, salty finish. Light bodied with moderate carbonation, a bit dry. This just didn't work for me.

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

2.94/5  rDev -9.5%

Glad to see this one at a local beer store. I have only tried Heady from Alchemist and that is my favorite DIPA! Let's see how they do on a saison. 12oz bottle...

A: A clear golden color with a lot of carbonated bubble action. A small which head hangs around at the top of the brew. Decent.

M: I get some belgian candi sugar and bubble gum up front with some orange peel quickly following. Definitely smells like a saison. Good.

T: I get a strange pepper taste upfront with an almost slight meat / bacon taste. I get a thick bubble gum towards the back. The beer really fell short with this brew. Could've been so much more. Eh.

M: Very carbonated. Over-carbonated IMO. A full thick peppery bubble gum on the back. Eh.

O: This one started well but ended on a bad tone. As soon as you take a sip it's all downhill from there. Alchemist needs to work with this recipe a bit more. It started amazing on the appearance and smell, but fell short everywhere else.

4.23/5  rDev +30.2%

I have celiac disease and non-barley, non-wheat, non-rye based beers are very rare and generally taste like crap. This one, although it does exhibit the odd (unmalt-like) sorghum aftertaste, is formulated so that the Saison-style tastes dominate, rewarding the drinker with the tasty by-products of fermentation by Belgian yeast and hops and masking, to a large degree, its sorghum-ness. Of course, one needs to be a fan of the Saison style to truly appreciate this "beer", but it is certainly a remarkable brewing accomplishment. It has a beautiful, orangey, head-retentive appearance as well. My only complaints are the price tag, which can reach $66 a case, and its limited availability.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

Got this while on a trip to VT.

Poured from a 12.oz bottle into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass.

The color is a slightly hazy orange with a finger of foamy head with little lacing sticky to the glass.

The smell is fruity with orange peel and a touch of apricots. There is a nice earthy tone o the aroma that does say "farmhouse" a bit with a slightly hoppy aroma in the back.

The taste is sweet at first with the citrus hitting the tongue then there is a strange bland flavor where the malt should be. Not quite giving this beer enough of a sweetness that I expected. The orange rind flavor does come forward and saves this beer. There is a clay like aftertaste that does have a good slight sweetness with it so it does not become too much to handle.

The feel of this beer is light and goes down easy. There is a decent amount of carbonation in this beer that does wash off some of the aftertaste. Not bad for a gluten free beer.

3.25/5  rDev 0%

2.56/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

#BOTG 73! Thanks to Eric for the chance to taste this. Very interesting- a gluten free beer. I look at this pretty skeptically, almost like looking at fat free cheese. Poured from bottle into Brooklyn Tulip- pours a cloudy dark orange color. A little head retention. Decent looking beer. Smell- definitely orange peel as advertised, also a vinous aroma. Not a huge fan of what I'm getting here. Taste- hmm. bitterness, somewhat slick orangey mouthfeel. It's lacking carbonation, and the malt (sorghum) used leaves a lot to be desired. Yuck. Drainpour, will try something else now.

3.97/5  rDev +22.2%

The last of my Adam Jackson beer. Thanks Adam!

This award winning gluten free beer pours a light bodied, slightly polished copper in color with a one finger head that disappeared within a minute. The nose is light, spicy, and yeasty with a light mint character. The flavors are nice. It's light and has plenty of yeast character with moderate spicing. It certainly has more flavor than any other gluten free beer I've had to date. If this was available nationwide it would be the popular gluten free option around. I'm glad the Alchemist made this.

3.4/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Should be an interesting beer. I've been waiting to try this for some time now.

Pours a light fizzy pasty white 1/2 finger head that fades semi quickly, no lacing, over mostly clear yellow orange citrus colored beer.

Nose is interesting, lots of floral aromas, lemony, lemon zest, light floral saison spices, hint of a creamy malt like aroma, bit of a candied citrus zest, a bit fruity, light floral and lemony hop bitter like aroma.

Taste comes with a weird malty-like flavor that I'm guessing is the sorghum, slight creamy and wants to be sticky but isn't. Then bitter lemon zest, candied lemon, floral citrusy flavors and light floral saison spices, and some lemony floral hops with a touch of bitterness. It has an herbal like earthy weird flavors I can't really label that takes away from it slightly, and just a touch of bubblegum. Light husk and weird medicinal flavor. Finish is quite dry, with more floral spices, lemony flavors, and bit of the medicinal flavor.

Mouth is med to lighter bodied, decent carb.

Overall just didn't do it for me. It has some really strange flavors I couldn't put a finger on, and a light medicinal and husk flavor. Not sure if this came from the sorghum or off flavors, but just wasn't getting me off the ground.

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pleasantly surprised to find a new beer out from The Alchemist at Route 7 Liquor and Deli just outside South Burlington. Stopped in to pick up some Heady Topper of course! Poured this one into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a hazy rose gold in color with a very thin white head that quickly dissipates. Not much lacing or retention on the head whatsoever.

S - Belgian yeast, coriander, and orange peel are very prominent. Nice earthy scent on the back, but mainly sweet and spicy up front. Not much of that typical, wheaty farmhouse funk that I would expect.

T - Lots of spice up front (mainly pepper and clove), but not really that much sweetness as the nose led on. It was sweeter the first few sips, but then it became more spicy and hoppy. Really nice floral hop finish that lets on more of the earthy funkiness usually found in a farmhouse ale.

M - Light bodied and very crisp, with generous carbonation but not overly so. Since this beer uses sorghum malt instead of normal brewing grains, it comes off as a bit watery and not as rich as a normal saison. A bit dry and sticky on the lips.

O - I didn't get this for the gluten free quality, I got it because of my fond memories of The Alchemist Pub and Brewery. While it's a nice saison and I'm sure a real treat to those that are afflicted with gluten intolerance, it's not quite on par with other saisons that I've had. Glad to see The Alchemist is starting to put out more styles though, and I hope it continues. Up next, Heady Topper!

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

A 12 oz bottle served cold with a tulip glass at Crop in Stove, VT.

Celia is a slightly hazy amber color with thin white head developed during a straight-forward pour. Very good lacing left behind.

Aroma is sweet and floral with a hint of Belgian yeast.

Flavor is well balanced with elements of herb, spice, yeast, and floral. It's true to style and enjoyable. It isn't until I've enjoyed half of it that I realize it's gluten free.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body and nicely carbonated.

Overall a really nice beer and one I wouldn't mind having regularly if, god forbid, I'm ever gluten intolerant.

Celia Saison from Ipswich Ale Brewery