Beach Tale Brown Ale | Dunedin Brewery

Dunedin Brewery
Florida, United States
dunedinbrewery.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by StevieW on 08-23-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Fairly deep brown color-decent carbonation but no real head. Low aroma-touch of roasted and chocolate malts-somewhat metallic. Good malty flavor-just a hint of the roasted grains. Low hop biterness. Ok body for style. Quite the drinkable beer-not a bad try from Dunedin-not as aggressive as some US browns.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

Looks like a cola with a white head that leaves some lacing.
Quite like a porter in flavor, but more bubbly... perhaps another cola comparison. Chocolate and coffee notes. The scent makes me think of sweet, caramel wine... assuming such a thing exists.
A bit sticky and chalky, mostly in the mouthfeel. Lightly hopped which cuts down on some of the sticky and chalky.
Quite nicely done. An interesting brown ale.

3.63/5  rDev +11.7%

Roasty aroma with a not too sweet malt backbone. Brown body color with a thin tan head. I swear Dunedin’s beers are getting a lot better. Toasted malts and a bit of nuttiness with just a tinge of grape fruitiness. The smooth malt profile finishes with just a smidgeon of hops. Great sipping beer to enjoy in full pint servings. Not quite a session beer, but a very decent somewhat mellow brew.

3.11/5  rDev -4.3%

This bottle has been in a dark cupboard in my house for several years. It is the orange screen-printing variety and is from before the brewery relocated. It is my understanding that these beers are bottle-conditioned...served around 50F, bottle says serve at 42F...

beer pours large head to 75% of pint glass height.

This beer is still decent, a surprise given the low alcohol and time lapse involved (actually abv/w is not listed on the bottle nor this website but I strongly doubt it is over 5%). Chocolate malt notes with a very light touch of hop on front-end. aftertaste some light roasted chocolate taste and some watered-down sensation. From the description of the beer I suspect taste change has eroded the hop flavor.

Subsequent swallows are somewhat more bitter on the front end, while the aftertaste is stonger and more distinctly porter-ish in character.

It is my understanding that this brewery relocated after I bought this beer and there was some change in the character of their beers. An interesting experiment in seeing how a decently-stored version of this beer has survived.

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a deep dark brown color with ruby hues. A light coating of head sits over top. The nose is light brown sugar sweetness but there is a sour, lactic character in there as well. More sour than lactic. The flavor is very sour...infected like. Reminds me more of an oud bruin than an english brown. I enjoy the flavor, but I get the feeling that its not supposed to be there. The feel is a very light moderate with a moderate carbonation. Overall, the sour is not something I expected in here. Its not a bad brew, just not what I think they were going for here.

3.38/5  rDev +4%

Pours a dark brown color with a small head that falls fast and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma has some dark malts in it, but has a definate lactose/sour thing going on. The flavor is dominated by a sourness - I think it's from the lactose. The sour takes away from the other characteristics of the beer and I can't get much else from the flavor. The mouthfeel is moderate to thick, but the drinkability isn't very good.

2.68/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Syrupy brown stuff. Now I now why I did not pick these up in my recent Florida expeditions. Remember I am not a big fan of brown, particularly mediocre ones. Fizzy, acidic. Some malt, some hop. Rather thin. I would rather a root beer.Radekfest 05 #14 sample.

4.08/5  rDev +25.5%

My final brew in the Dunedin sampler from Luckysevens82.

I am pouring a pint bottle into a pint glass at room temp. The beer pours a deep cola brown and produces a fluffy beige head of 2 cm easily. Aroma is fairly light but exhibits chocolate a hint of brown sugar and a bit of floral hops.
Firs sip reveals a soft and creamy textured body with fizzy carbonation.
Flavor is malty, with dry bakers chocolate and brown sugar, and some roasted malt. The finish is slightly dry.
A smooth easy drinkin beer. QUite nice IMO.

2.11/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a dark brown with hints of auburn. A decent head which drops to a nice, lasting film and leaves behind good lace. Smell is malt and hops and nothing else. Taste is verry hoppy for the style, with an almost piney bitterness to it. No other flavors were to be found, sadly. Medium bodied with effervescence all over the mouth. As for drinkability, I will not have this again. This was much more like an IPA than a brown ale. I barely finished this one and probably shouldn't have.

3.81/5  rDev +17.2%

First beer I cracked from BIF 10. Nice color, modest head, and decent lacing are left on the glass.

Smell of nutty, roasted malts... flavor is where this beer shines.. has a good bit of hopping for a brown ale. This beer has good balance but it leans toward the hops more than the malt. I think I'm picking up some Cascade hops..

Mouthfeel... carbonation is kinda high, but it allows this beer to dance on your tounge.

All in all, a good to great brown ale.

3.25/5  rDev 0%

A super dark brown pour with a light, big bubbly head that fades quickly. A very mild nose with little standout character. The taste is failry one dimensional. Bitter throughout with hints of dry cocoa. Slightly dry finish with lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel is very flat and light on the tongue. The light body makes this beer's drinkability questionable for me. It's a fair brown ale but i'm not a fan of this particular beer.

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

The name and label confuse me a bit: what is a "beach tale", is it some sort of pun, or a Floridian tradition I'm unaware of? Label illustration appears to be a group of tentacled surfboards hanging out by a fence with a balloon and a cactus. Honest, that's what I see, don't tell me I need therapy!
Generous pint-sized bottle, pours out a fine brown color, with a full, lush, creamy head. Aroma is soft and creamy, nutty, with a hint of cocoa. Taste is huge in malt, thick and chocolately, with only a hint of hops. On the palate, chewy and substantial.
Smooth, though lacking any complexity. Still, head and shoulders above many a brownie, like that from a coal-concerned town I won't mention.
Went down nice, with a memorable flavor. Thanks, JohnnyDuvel!

2.68/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear dark brown color. Big tan bubbly head. Not alot to go on smell wise. Slight bitterness from burnt malt. Taste was dominated by a mostly burnt bittlerness, maybe roasted malt gone bad. No real sweet, chocolate and roasted malts as advertised on the bottle. Mostly thin and watery feel, a serious letdown. Could barely finish a 16 oz. bottle.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last