Saison Athene | Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company
Florida, United States
saintsomewherebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Saison Athene is a bottle conditioned Saison brewed with chamomile, fresh rosemary and black pepper. A dose of wild yeast at bottling adds to the complexity.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-29-2007

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

A. Hazy and gold with a soft fluffy head with super retention.

S. Fresh fruit, lemons, oranges--spicy phenols from the yeast strain along with a cinammon-like aroma.

T. Sweet honey malt with ripe cherries. Yeast plays a role in making it complex. Hops bitter and offer up an earthy quality. Alcohol is quite warm.

M. Very smooth and medium bodied. Relatively high carbonation with complements the style.

D. I really like this beer's subtle complexities. I'd like to have more of this!

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Beautifully hazy Golden Delicious yellow with an alabaster colored head that is dangerously close to Belgianesque in both size and texture. A loud rifle shot on cork extraction was the first clue that the beer was well-carbonated. Abstract patterns of sticky lace complete the picture of a classic saison.

The label includes those enigmatic words 'brewed with spices'. I'll guess grains of paradise, along with at least one other. Coriander perhaps? The beer is also bright and lemon zesty. It's a good nose, but it isn't quite complex enough to earn a bigger score. (Edit: chamomile, rosemary and black pepper are used).

Saison Athene tastes good as well. Having said that, my favorite saisons/farmhouse ales derive their flavors from yeast, bacteria or hops (especially hops!) as opposed to added spices. When the spice in question is this dominant, it tends to turn potential complexity into actual simplicity. How one feels about the flavor, for the most part, depends on how one feels about the spices.

The malt bill is almost certainly 100% pilsner and/or pale. There's an underlying sugar cookie sweetness that is countered beautifully by both bitterness and spiciness. Saint Somewhere thinks SA has a dry finish. It ain't that dry, although the hops keep things quasi-crisp on the back end.

Complexity or no complexity, I'm enjoying the beer too much to stay stuck on a score of 4.0 for flavor. This is a beautifully constructed ale whose positives definitely outweigh its negatives. It's hard to say if the beer's lemongrassiness is due to lemongrass or to hops. The brewery says that flavors will continue to develop over several years. My thinking is that fresh (and hoppy) is best.

The mouthfeel doesn't quite match the excellence of the Belgian and French masters, but it isn't far off. It's at least medium for the style and has a sneaky viscosity that keeps beer in contact with taste buds for an impressively long time. All those bubbles do a great job of injecting a smooth-edged creaminess. What the hell, I guess it deserves to be rewarded after all.

Talk about cognitive dissonance. What are the odds that a relatively new craft brewery in Tarpon Springs, Florida could create a Belgian saison that is able to stand up to all but the world's best? This is fantastic beer that I wouldn't mind drinking again. Recommended.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Kind of a pale straw color, almost orange in the middle. A nice head that kind of fades fast, but still leaves a little lacing here and there. The smell is fantastic. There's the classic funky smell - some people describe it as cat piss I believe, but there's also a bit of a fruity/floral smell, almost like citrus, but not like hoppy citrus. There's also a smell I can't quite place, kind of like a sour beer, but with less oxidation and sourness. The taste is very good. There's a kind of dry, breadiness in some ways. And the yeast comes through strong. It finishes with just a bit of sweetness balanced with a faint tartness. Pleasant I'd say, but this one doesn't jump out at you. The mouthfeel sort of carries the funkiness to you. So many slightly tart beers get chalky, and this one may be a bit thin for a 7.5er. It drinks well. I mean, I didn't have trouble finishing it, and I would recommend it to someone who has had a few saisons and is looking for something new in the style.

2.84/5  rDev -27.7%

I think I knew a girl name Athene, or maybe not. Pours a very hazy straw colored yellow with a super foamy head. Took awhile to dissipate and actually review it but did have good retention and lacing through out.

The nose seems dominate with a perfume smell. But beyond that, there are some nice saison aromas that come through. A light grainy aroma with some bready and Belgian malt notes. A hint of honey on the back end as well. The yeast comes out nicely, minus the strong perfume, with some white pepper and citrus and fruity notes. Citrus with some lemon zest mostly. Some off notes, bandaid/medicinal and a hint of butyric.

The taste is similar. The perfume is not as noticeable versus the nose but is still very present. The malt comes out nicely with a grainy and light biscuit flavors. The fruit back off a bit but some hints of orange. This is hidden a bit by the carbonic bite which really distracts through the whole taste. Some minor yeast notes as well. A bit muddled. The band aid flavors are lighter versus the nose but still there.

The body is hard to tell with such a high carbonic bite. Way too carbonated. Definitely is a distraction and hides out some of the best features of the beer. Some off notes with the heavy perfume and baid aid notes really leave a lot to desire in this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

thanks to Jw347 for this bottle. I have had this since late 08, but I don't recall exactly how long I've had it. Since the superbowl was in Florida I figured I'd go for teh FL beer to start the game.

A - a glass full of white foam greets me. a hazy straw yellow beer emerges but the head really hangs on to the last 2 inches forever.
S - pepper, herbs, grassy hops domninate the nose.
T - a teasing spicy yeasty belgian note drives this saison forward. hints of fruit, pepper, coriander intersperse.
M - medium bodied, well carbonated but just under the prickly carbonation level. a hint of abv and a slight linkering pepper and funk note.
D - once the beer settled down it cut through the football food fest and was quite a tasty game beer.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

750 ml bottle that I picked up from Green's Beverage off Ponce in Atlanta. Served this one up in my Free the Hops tulip/snifter glassy thingy. Lets do this.

A: Opened up the bottle with a big time pop that hangs with the finest champagne I ever opened at the restaurant. Nice fog emits from the bottle as it rests a bit. The pour brings out a light orange/dark yellow color. Tons of carbonation bubbles are just constantly streaming from bottom to top, constant movement. The head that builds is a huge 2 to 3 fingers of fluffy, cloud like white head The head has really good retention and lasts for an incredibly long time. The lace is pretty sticky and heavy, as it slides slowly down the glass after each pull. Very impressive looking brew.

S: Smell is pretty interesting. Just a lot of earthy/funky aromas kicking here. Smells a lot like a hay field, very earthy. There is a lot musk in this beer. Just a sweaty, dirty horse aroma coming out here. I am confused because I have a problem with that being appetizing. I have smelled a lot of dirty, smelly socks in my day, but that is not the aroma I necessarily want coming out of beer glass. There is a really nice floral perfume emitting from this as well, which is just acting as a whores bath masking the fact that she hasn't showered for a few days. After that, there is a really nice lemon scent coming through with a bit of acid. Interesting and it does get my attention, but I am on the fence here. I was between 3.0 and 3.5 for the score, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

T: Taste is also very earthy and damned funky. The farm like aromas translate easily in the taste. Lots of grassy, dirt, leather and sweat are coming through. These flavors are controlled by a lot of really nice floral hops that really cool this one down. Lemon and apple flavors come in with some really nice sweetness. The malt is lightly sweet with a nice bready presence that sweetens just a bit.

M: Medium in body with just so much carbonation. This is what I would call a high carbonation brew. This beer is so crisp and refreshing. Just so clean on the way down with just a bit of citrus and malt lying on the palate in the aftertaste. ABV is nowhere to be found and I imagine hiding easily in the funk. This beer is very dry and quenching. I like it.

D: For my minor experience in saisons, I think it was a good one. Good, not great or anything earth shattering. I am sure there are better saisons out there but this one really intrigues me. This is a great warm weather beer that would go down easily and refresh after a long day working on the yard. I am sure that this will turn into a beer a I routinely pick up on my beer trips just to keep on hand. I just have to get over that dirty whore who has been riding horses in the country smell. Very interesting and absolutely worth the price of admission, kinda like most of my metaphors presented in this review.

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appears a bright and clear golden yellow with a one inch white head. Etching in the bottom clearly assists this one with retaining the head. Got to love the Duvel "D" etching. Doesn't leave much lace.

Aroma is sweet with a big barnyard funkiness that's hard to describe. It seems to have that usual hay-like thing going on with a fruitiness that doesn't say anything in particular. There's a layer of spice in there but it's not very intense.

Taste starts out with a heavy spicy note with lots of fruitiness. Now it's coming through more clearly and is very orange like with a strong lemon component. There's a bit of a floral taste in the back of the throat as well as some of that hay character.

Mouthfeel is medium-light with a nice effervescent carbonation that makes this one pretty creamy.

I am not that big of a Saison fan but I thought this one was quite good. Might be the best so far.

3.38/5  rDev -14%

A - Dirty golden brownish with 2 fingers of bubbly white head that fade to a thick skim.

S - Fruity with green apple and lemon, pale and wheat malts, spicy with clove, ginger and pepper and a touch of earthy funk.

T - Spciy with a lot of fruity esters, green apples and orange zest. The aroma was spicy but the taste is even spicier and builds as it warms. Pepper, cloves, big ginger taste in the middle that lingers on the tongue, chamomile and an earthy funk that reminds me of Jolly Pumpkin beers that stays on the tongue in the aftertaste along with the ginger.

M - On the light side of medium with crisp, bubbly carbonation.

D - Complex in a heavily spiced way. Interesting but the ginger is too much for me to have more than 1 in a sitting.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a hazy orange with decent snow-white foam and a fair amount of lacing.

Very distinct aroma - sour lemon, hay and biscuits with traces of hops. Not much malts on the nose, instead it has a dryness to it that reminds me of Champagne.

Mouthfeel is good, semi-dry and refreshing with a slight sour bite. There are citrus and some tropical flavors such as guava and spice to excite the palate. A very unusual beer for me, I can't say I have had anything quite like it before. Not sure how many I could drink in one sitting, let's start with one and see where I end up...

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Damn green bottles. For all the stupid rules in the world that regulate beer, can't we make one that puts the kabash on green beer bottles. Guess what I got when I opened this bottle? A big whiff of skunk, thanks guys.

I let my beer sit and after about 20 minutes, the skunk cleared and I was able to carry on with what was an otherwise tasty saison. I actually preferred it to their higher-ranked Belgian pale, as I found the slightly tart lemon and biscuit malts to be much more interesting and drinkable. I'd give this beer a try if you like saisons, and can find a bottle that's never seen the light.

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: The beer poured a hazy, golden straw color with a huge white, fluffy head. Lacing was present throughout the entire life of the beer.

Smell: Nice earthy, grainy, lemon-y and funky aroma. Interesting hint of pepper.

Taste: Wonderfully funky taste with a nice hop spice. Hints of lemon, earthy yeast and pepper are present. Nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall: Once again a fantastic job by St. Somewhere Brewing. This is another beer I'll be picking up any chance I see it!!

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

750 mL corked and caged bottle from Blue Dog in Lansdale, purchased for $9 or $10, poured into an oversized wine glass and split with a friend.

Suprising orange color with a big, off-white head, settles fairly quickly to about a finger of thick, creamy bubbles , leaves rings of lacing down the side of the glass. Fairly clear. Very nice looking but I was expecting a bit more from a Belgian style saison with brett.

Smell caught me off-gaurd. I didn't know until afterwards that this beer is actually spiced, but you can definately smell it. It smells spicy, perfumy and earthy, kind of like a health food store (it smells almost exactly like Arnold's Way in Lansdale which is a raw/vegan cafe and health food grocery). Pretty interesting and good, but lacking in any brett character which is lame.

Taste is similar, smooth enjoyable spice character dominates the flavor of the beer.

Mouthfeel is nice and light, good CO2 kick (the corked popped itself out after removing the cage).

Drinkability is good, but not great. The spices in this are definately a limiting factor. Good, but once is probably enough.

2.83/5  rDev -28%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ugh, what a disappointment. And such high hopes! Damn you, Allstrom Bros with your hearty endorsement!

So I picked up this gorgeous looking 750 @ Healthy Spirits in SF, super excited to see it available. Even moreso to read about the funk and the hops... just a little reticent at seeing the "ale brewed with spices" on the side. Why, in a heavily hopped and brett tinged beer need there be spices? Ah well... maybe it'll augment the overall experience.

Oops.

So this pours a ruddy pale straw, hazy with a bit of creamy head and moderate lacing. An orange tinge, but it's pretty pale. Nothing extraordinary, but a solid saison-like appearance.

The nose is a bit disconcerting... there's an effusive coriander and clove forward note... but it's saved by a wonderful background grapefruit tartness and musty funk. It's not strong, but it's there.

Unfortunately on the palate this is a horrendous mess. It's practically powdery on the tongue with awful over-spicing which overpowers any delicate yeast notes to be found. Hops are merely an afterthought, and even the bitterness comes through as a spice bitter. The funk does actually manage to shine through around the edges, and this is drinkable, but the spicing completely kills the experience.

It had been a while since I'd had ridiculously over-spiced American saisons (from brewers who should know better)... but now I remember why they're such a risky proposition (although to be fair, Coronado's Saison by the Sea was tied with Avery's 12 for reminding me first... but I came to those with no expectations of not being killed with spice).

The only caveat I'll give is that there's a chance for this beer and it involves a dark cellar and three years plus of aging. Unfortunately my space is limited and seeing whether or not vastly disappointing beers at horrendous prices can be redeemed after lengthy aging on my part is not an enticing proposition.

Pass.

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%

Picked up at Broudy's liquors Ponte Vedra, Florida on trip home. I had not tried Saint Somewhere, but was hoping to try as these beers have just made it out to the Bay Area (though they are much cheaper in Florida!)

Beer pours a cloudy, honey color with a thick, long lasting white head.

The first scents are of yeast, not unlike Fin du Monde. There are bready notes and very pleasant floral scents. Additionally, there are spicy notes, but I cannot put my finger on exactly what spices I am smelling (coriander?).

The beer is spicy upfront (see above, not sure what) with an herbal quality on the back of the palate. It is a typical saison, but has much more upfront flavor than some of the others I have tried. It is more 'in-your-face' and less nuanced. I love it. Unique and brimming with flavor. As the beer warms, I detect a slight hoppy flavor as well.

The Athene is highly carbonated, maybe a touch more than I would ideally like.

As for drinkability, this beer is very complex. There are a number of different flavors at work here, some more obvious and others more hidden. It is not dry, but not too sweet either.

I really loved this beer. I found it very interesting and as I mentioned above, different from a lot of the other saisons. This was a great surprise and I would highly recommend.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Bottle sample shared by alexsdad06.

Pours a hazy copper color with an average fizzy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy roasted herbs, spruce and yeasty aroma. Medium body with a slick texture and soft carbonation. Medium to heavy spicy sweet flavor with a medium to heavy bittersweet finish of moderate to long duration duration.

This is a good beer with holiday spicy apps.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Had this Christmas day pured out of the bottle into an oversized wine glass. It was a hazy orange color with a brilliant creamy 1" head that sticks around as I drink. Smells brilliant of spices and flowers. Tastes clean and spicy. Very surprising taste. I love it. It went down very very well. Was an outstanding match for my grilled tenderloin.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle
A - Pours slightly cloudy honey gold with a pretty white head that lingers.
S - Clove, spice, honey, ginger.
T - Sweet malt, ginger and some clove
M/F - Smooth yet vibrant. Medium body.
D - I enjoyed it but didn't love it.

3.31/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Pours a nice golden dark yellow with a massive white head. Lacing sticks down the entire glass. A good looking beer.

S: Belgian spice, almost like a perfume. Black pepper. Some citrusy aromas.

T/M: The floral spice is the predominant note but the pepper aroma is right there in the mouth too. I'm not huge on the contrast of the "feminine" like floralness and the intensity of pepper. Doesn't quite mesh well. Medium bodied with a good mouthfeel.

D: Decently drinkable but I really wouldn't want more than a glass.

Overall, I thought this one was average (on a grander "good" beer scale). It's a unique representation of the style, but it wasn't quite up my alley. Worth a try to try something new, but I probably won't be going out of my way to get another one.

3.26/5  rDev -17%

Reviewed on 5/11/08. Bottle. Pours a light golden color with a white head which leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma and flavor of mint gumdrops, gingersnaps, bitter hops (sort of an odd flavor that I cam't quite place, but that's the best I can come up with). Initially, this beer is quite drinkable despite the unique/odd flavor. In the finish I got some wort spoilage (vegetably flavor) and bitterness. Kinda got worse as you drank though. Hmm, I didn't really get this one and probably wouldn't buy again. 6/4/6/4/15 (3.5/5)

4.49/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Chimay glass. 11/23/08. Bottle is corked & caged, the cork flew out with a loud pop.

Pours a bright golden color with nearly one finger of whitish head. The head quickly dropped to a thin layer, no lacing. Aroma is zesty citrus and lemon with some yeast and assorted herbal spices.

Taste starts with a nice zesty lemon and citrus flavor with hints of orange peel and green apple. That is accompanied by sweet malt, and candied sugar, and a touch of honey. There's also some Belgian yeast flavor, and white pepper among other spices (ginger, lemongrass, clove). Very earthy and herbal. Nice mix between fruit and spices. Very pleasant taste.

The feel is equally pleasant. It has a light-medium body and plenty of carbonation. Makes it very bubbly and spritzy. The finish is dry and crisp. Drinkability is also very good. The alcohol is undetectable, and the lightness makes it very easy to drink.

Overall, an excellent beer. I'm very impressed with this, and really enjoyed it. Definitely give this a try.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

750ml bottle acquired in a trade.

"Saint Somewhere Brewing Company" printed on cork, no date to be found.

Great presentation, the bottle/label design is wonderful. The beer pours a pale orange color with tons of active carbonation and an enormous peachy white head that leaves lots of sticky lace. Very nice. A little bit of tartness on the nose, fresh cut wood, mellow and slightly sweet, mint leaves, big whiffs of lemon zest and citrus juiciness. Sweet malt, barnyard hay and earth tones, apple, licorice, winey grapes, cloves as well as a hint of spice i cant quite put my tongue on. This beer screams Belgian mid palate as soon as the yeast makes its way to the tongue, slightly bitter dry hops upon the finish really round things out and prepare you for a long semi-sweet balanced finish. Medium bodied, slightly coating and mild carbonation. Overall a very nice beer, definitely one of the better American saisons i've had.

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for bringing me back two bottles of this from Florida!

750 ml cage-corked bottle - "2008" on cork:

Pours hazed golden yellow with a foamy white head that doesn't quite endure the trip, but lasts long enough to appreciate it. Thin, uneven rings of lacing stick.

The smell is grainy, perfumy, with orange/lemon zest and black pepper - a bit too perfumy/medicinal. Smells fits with style, in a "different" way.

The taste is sweet and perfumy/medicinal. Spicy with hop spicing coming across as almost aspirin-like, giving a bittering dry note in the finish. A touch of alcohol comes through.

It is on the fuller side of light-bodied with a Belgian-inspired effervescence that almost hits the spot. The spiciness and herbal/medicinal notes border on almost too much, and slow it down. An "interesting" brew that is obviously "Belgian inspired". Black pepper is a bit heavy in the aftertaste. An over-spiced attempt at the style, IMO.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into a Saison Dupont tumbler.

"2008" printed on cork.

A: Pours a lovely and clear golden color featuring some very active carbonation which acts to feed the three finger thick puff of meringue-like foam. Head retention is exceptional and thick drapes are left behind. The second pour netted a perfect amount of unfiltered haze. The third (swirled) pour looked like apricot nectar!

S: Impressive nose of tangy fruit. Green apple & lemon. Yeast, subtle spices, peach, freshly pitched hay, and dry crackery malt.

T: The tart and tangy fruitiness tends to overpower the other flavors going on here. I know they're in there, but they're not strong enough to step out on their own. This isn't a bad thing, I just prefer my Saisons with more in the way of yeast, spice, and barnyard with the fruity tartness in more of a supporting role. That being said, I noticed that as it came closer to room temperature the fruitiness became a little muted...nice. Also noticed were a bit of white pepper and fresh spicy hops.

M: Smooth and quite sticky. Finish is very peppery. I don't don't mean in a prickly, harsh to the tongue kind of way. Not at all. The mouthfeel is full and slick but it leaves peppery "tingling" sensation on the tongue long after the beer is swallowed. Sort of like when you eat some spicy Thai or Indian food. The fire in your mouth has long been extinguished but you're left with that pleasant tingle...

D: All in all, I really like this Saison. It could go toe to toe with some of its' Belgian bretheren and give them a run for their money. I'm really glad that this brewery has recently become available in Chicagoland and can't wait to try their other offerings.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

I got this bottle in a trade with Nutbrown. Thanks Alan!

Whew. When I undid the cage on this puppy, the cork immediately exploded out of the bottle but the liquid stayed in the bottle.

A huge head developed while pouring...the colour is a clear yellow gold and, not surprisingly, there's plenty of lacing and head retention appears to be excellent. Each subsequent pour also produced a huge head of foam...

The smell is fruity and spicy. I get notes of apple and some citrus with pepper, clove, and a strong nose of yeast. Nice smells all around.

The taste is a big mix of fruit and spice as well. I taste the yeasty goodness along with the apple tartness and some orange peel, then there's the spice with good notes of clove and lots of pepper and spices I have trouble identifying. There's also an underlining sweetness, mostly near the finish, that tastes very honey like. The finish itself leans toward the sour side.

The mouthfeel is on the high end of light and the carbonation, though rather frisky at the start of the session, is overall on the light side.

The alcohol is not a factor here so the drinkability, seeing as the flavours and mouthfeel are very good, should be excellent but...I think it will take me a while to finish the bottle. That may be due to the spice becoming more dominant as the beer warms up leaving the delightful fruitness behind. Still, this is a solid Saison and one certainly worth seeking out.

Poured from a 750 ml bottle in a goblet.

It pours a somewhat hazy golden with a steady flow of carbonation and a one finger thick white head.

Smells like light sweet malt, peppery spice, and some leather.

Initial carbonation pop mellows into a peppery malt with a slight fruit finish.

Great carbonation mouthfeel would be great with heavy fatty food, as it would lift anything away.

smooth taste and nothing overpowering makes this the king of FL saisons.

Saison Athene from Saint Somewhere Brewing Company