Lectio Divina | Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company
Florida, United States
saintsomewherebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Lectio Divina is a cross between an abbey double and a saison. Open fermentation with a saison strain and a dose of wild yeast at bottling add to the complexity.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-29-2007

1.75/5  rDev -54.8%

1.85/5  rDev -52.2%

Poured into an over-sized tulip

A: Body is a murky brown with an orangish/amber hue. Cloudy and clearly unfiltered. Crazy amount of fizzy, small bubbled head that quickly dissipates after 5 seconds, reminds me of cider.

S: Caramel sweet malts with undertones of funky yeast giving off aromas similar to a permanent marker. Smells like the county fair with notes of grass, butter, candy and heavy booze.

T: Heavy booze, permanent marker is coming to mind. Pretty soapy overall. Not too many kind flavors striking the pallet.

M: Tingling sensation up front turns to a burning alcohol feel.

O: I love this brewery but sadly not this bottle. Marking this up to contamination. Will try another bottle in hopes of changing my mind.

2.1/5  rDev -45.7%

Got this one at Total Wine in Tampa. Took the cage off and the cork started to move up so I watied a few mintues and that sucker creeped up until it exploded out. 2012 stamped on the cork when I finally found it.

A - Pours an interesting reddy colour. Cloudy with mild carbonation. Two finger fizzy head fades really fast like an infected beer usually does. After some research on the Saint Somewhere website, this is exactly how the beer is supposed to appear, but I don't really care all that much. No lace, no retention.

S - Lot's of bubblegum. Apples. Fruitiness. No Brett. Mostly berries.

T - Yikes. Wet cardboard? Fruitiness. Ugly flavours. Berries. Definitely not what I was expecting.

M - Strong fizzy carbonation, frothy when you move it around meaning somethings wrong. Foul finish with alcohol and

O/D - Reminds me of Sahti. Lot's of berry and wood characteristics, but not much of anything interesting. I sadly spent $10 on this. A disapointment to say the least.

2.1/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was very much looking forward to tasting this beer since it is brewed locally, but this was a disaster. I don't know if this was just a bad batch that I picked up at Whole Foods but both bottles exploded as they were opened... The appearance was nice despite the monstrous head that foamed up. It was copperish brown tan head. The smell was yeasty and malty some citrus character. The brew tasted the same as the smell but more citrusy and rather skunky. I didn't finish this brew. One day I'll try again.

2.27/5  rDev -41.3%

Cork flew out of this one and its contents spewed onto my dining room table. Gave it a while to settle out and warm before I poured.

Poured with a muddy brown with a huge head. Spicy cola aroma and strange sweetness on first taste. Yeasty, spicy, tons of carbonation. Not gonna make it through this bottle. Condition of this bottle just makes it undrinkable for me. Would love to revisit with a less active bottle.

2.36/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2009 on the cork.

Pours a dark red color with some haziness. A dark sand colored head forms very quickly, creating a foam filled glass on the first pour. Subsequent pours are fizzier and don't keep the head as well.

The aroma reminds me of a barleywine, with strong malty and fruity notes and a touch of alcohol. I'm also getting a bit of a grape like-smell attachedto some funky yeast. It seems interesting on paper, but it comes off a bit messy all together.

The flavor is a bit worse. It's very sweet, with grape and raisin flavors, as well as an edge of spice. The spice aspect clashes a bit both with the sweetness and the dry, highly carbonated mouthfeel, making it feel a bit lifeless. In the finish, there is a jam like grape-iness and a touch of caramel sweetness.

I wouldn't get this again, and I'm surprised by the high ratings. I ended up using the last pour of the beer for beer bread, since it was beginning to be undrinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Huge explosion as I take off the cage, gushes everwhere and now finished cleaning.

A-pours a murky dirty dark brown color with way too much lightly tan colored fluffy head.

S-rough, stale grain and light yeast notes. fair bit of sugary malts, caramel and candied sugar.

T-the taste is rough, light notes of belgian style yeast with hints of malt sweetness try to fight through an aweful flavor or stale grain and rust. An underlying caramel malt with notes of dry figs tries to play a role but wow is this offensive. Could it be infected?

M-syrupy medium body with low carbonation and a semi dry finish. smooth and creamy but rough in the back.

D-not sure what's wrong with this but there is some offensive notes of rusty metal and acetone in this.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Poured in tulip. A hazy copper with orange highlights. Thin soda like fizzy head. Aroma is fuzzy, nectarines, spice, and remains indistinct through the session. Taste is dominated by alcohol with a strong heat. Finish is dry. Feel is prickly.

Not something I would recommend. I was very surprised as I enjoyed Saison Athene and this brew wasn't in the same league at all...

2.62/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Tried aging this one with lousy results: Appearance: amber/brown with a nice tan head that disappears quickly. its hazy and looks more like a Belgian Dubbel would than a saison. Aroma: the expected plums and raisins and brown sugars and yeasty fruityness but combined with wet cardboard, horse blanket oxidation. Palate: its has oily texture, medium body and moderate carbonation. Taste: carries from aromas. No bitterness from hops. Honey-like sweetness is to the point of harshness. Dark fruits and brown sugar. Barnyardy off-flavors are all over along with soy saucy umami thing going on. Finishes with alcohol warming and lasting harsh sweet flavors

2.86/5  rDev -26.1%

Bottle shared at tasting. Pours cloudy and a dark caramel color with a big lasting creamy beige head. Smell is mild and dusty malt. Too mild in fact. Taste is similarly tame, and slightly sweet with not much going on flavorwise. Hints of dusty sweet spice which become almost a touch cloying in the end. Not something I'd be crazy about having again.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

I had this on tap at TJ's -served chilled and allowed to gradully warm.

The color is deep amber with murky look and no head, not very appealing, but not too terrible really. The smell is odd, but interesting -cheese-like funk with a mild sweet stone fruit note and mild spice. The feel is tart with some graininess and light sweetness, the sour tinge is funky with some yeasty qualities.

The flavor is unique but not especially great. There is a slight swiss cheese-like yeast flavor I can't get past, yet there is a fruity cherry-like element in there too which seems to add to the flavor that the yeast provides. There is slight spice in there with some mild alcohol, but in general I struggled to find favorable qualities to savor. I don't recommend this based on my experience. I don't think the combination they envisioned is what I tasted - it has that odd swiss cheese tinge that is distracting to me which hinders the other flavors and overall drinkability to me.

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%

Corked and caged bottle was a gusher after the cork exploded into the ceiling after the cage was removed. A dark amber body was eventually revealed under a huge beige head after some of the massive carbonation subsided. The head quickly vanished without significant lace.

Aroma was interesting. Malty toffee, dark fruits, peppery spices, yeast,and some fusel alcohol notes are present. I'm starting to wonder if they mislabeled their Belgian dark ale as this saison.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with overcarbonation issues.

Taste is quite different from the aroma. A lot dryer to taste, still with a solid toffee malt base. Dark fruits, yeast, peppery spices, and a sour funky note. Seems muddled and confused.

I've had this brewery's Saison Athene and enjoyed it, although that bottle was also a gusher. This one just doesn't work for me as a saison.

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured this beer in anticipation of the Texas/Ohio State Fiesta Bowl. Anticipation is high as I recently really enjoyed the St. Somewhere Saison Athene.

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Nice, dark amber color, with a solid white head.

The nose of this beer is definitely the high point. Slightly sour smells, more than a hint and pleasant. Also notes of yeast, and particularly apple and maybe some pear as well.

The taste disappoints. The initial taste is very dry followed by a bitter apple flavor. The flavors just don't really go together. The flavor begins as very weak, but then becomes an unlikable apple, which, unfortunately lingers.

The body is somewhat weak and the fruit bitterness make the drinkability less than idea.

All in all, I was disappointed in this beer, though it is worth noting that I did have very high expectations. The Athene blew my away; I was equally underwhelmed by the Lectio Divine.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

I bought this on a trip to FLA and the top of the cork broke off while I was trying to open it, I didn't have a corkscrew so I had to sink the cork to open it. This beer poured a cloudy orange/brown with very little white head. Heavy on the apples in both the smell and taste. A little spiciness sneaking in the smell, pepper maybe nutmeg. The mouthfeel was medium, it was almost flat, very little carbonation, very weird for a new bottle conditioned ale. It left a bit of a film in my mouth. Overall not very good, maybe I got a bad bottle.

2.99/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Just average saison if not slightly below due to taste. Very hard to finish a full pour

Lectio Divina from Saint Somewhere Brewing Company