Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Lectio Divina | Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Lectio DivinaLectio Divina

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company
Florida, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Lectio Divina is a cross between an abbey double and a saison. Open fermentation with a saison strain and a dose of wild yeast at bottling add to the complexity.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-29-2007

Reviews: 224 | Ratings: 364
1.85/5  rDev -52.2%

Poured into an over-sized tulip

A: Body is a murky brown with an orangish/amber hue. Cloudy and clearly unfiltered. Crazy amount of fizzy, small bubbled head that quickly dissipates after 5 seconds, reminds me of cider.

S: Caramel sweet malts with undertones of funky yeast giving off aromas similar to a permanent marker. Smells like the county fair with notes of grass, butter, candy and heavy booze.

T: Heavy booze, permanent marker is coming to mind. Pretty soapy overall. Not too many kind flavors striking the pallet.

M: Tingling sensation up front turns to a burning alcohol feel.

O: I love this brewery but sadly not this bottle. Marking this up to contamination. Will try another bottle in hopes of changing my mind.

2.1/5  rDev -45.7%

Got this one at Total Wine in Tampa. Took the cage off and the cork started to move up so I watied a few mintues and that sucker creeped up until it exploded out. 2012 stamped on the cork when I finally found it.

A - Pours an interesting reddy colour. Cloudy with mild carbonation. Two finger fizzy head fades really fast like an infected beer usually does. After some research on the Saint Somewhere website, this is exactly how the beer is supposed to appear, but I don't really care all that much. No lace, no retention.

S - Lot's of bubblegum. Apples. Fruitiness. No Brett. Mostly berries.

T - Yikes. Wet cardboard? Fruitiness. Ugly flavours. Berries. Definitely not what I was expecting.

M - Strong fizzy carbonation, frothy when you move it around meaning somethings wrong. Foul finish with alcohol and

O/D - Reminds me of Sahti. Lot's of berry and wood characteristics, but not much of anything interesting. I sadly spent $10 on this. A disapointment to say the least.

2.1/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was very much looking forward to tasting this beer since it is brewed locally, but this was a disaster. I don't know if this was just a bad batch that I picked up at Whole Foods but both bottles exploded as they were opened... The appearance was nice despite the monstrous head that foamed up. It was copperish brown tan head. The smell was yeasty and malty some citrus character. The brew tasted the same as the smell but more citrusy and rather skunky. I didn't finish this brew. One day I'll try again.

2.27/5  rDev -41.3%

Cork flew out of this one and its contents spewed onto my dining room table. Gave it a while to settle out and warm before I poured.

Poured with a muddy brown with a huge head. Spicy cola aroma and strange sweetness on first taste. Yeasty, spicy, tons of carbonation. Not gonna make it through this bottle. Condition of this bottle just makes it undrinkable for me. Would love to revisit with a less active bottle.

2.36/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2009 on the cork.

Pours a dark red color with some haziness. A dark sand colored head forms very quickly, creating a foam filled glass on the first pour. Subsequent pours are fizzier and don't keep the head as well.

The aroma reminds me of a barleywine, with strong malty and fruity notes and a touch of alcohol. I'm also getting a bit of a grape like-smell attachedto some funky yeast. It seems interesting on paper, but it comes off a bit messy all together.

The flavor is a bit worse. It's very sweet, with grape and raisin flavors, as well as an edge of spice. The spice aspect clashes a bit both with the sweetness and the dry, highly carbonated mouthfeel, making it feel a bit lifeless. In the finish, there is a jam like grape-iness and a touch of caramel sweetness.

I wouldn't get this again, and I'm surprised by the high ratings. I ended up using the last pour of the beer for beer bread, since it was beginning to be undrinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Huge explosion as I take off the cage, gushes everwhere and now finished cleaning.

A-pours a murky dirty dark brown color with way too much lightly tan colored fluffy head.

S-rough, stale grain and light yeast notes. fair bit of sugary malts, caramel and candied sugar.

T-the taste is rough, light notes of belgian style yeast with hints of malt sweetness try to fight through an aweful flavor or stale grain and rust. An underlying caramel malt with notes of dry figs tries to play a role but wow is this offensive. Could it be infected?

M-syrupy medium body with low carbonation and a semi dry finish. smooth and creamy but rough in the back.

D-not sure what's wrong with this but there is some offensive notes of rusty metal and acetone in this.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Poured in tulip. A hazy copper with orange highlights. Thin soda like fizzy head. Aroma is fuzzy, nectarines, spice, and remains indistinct through the session. Taste is dominated by alcohol with a strong heat. Finish is dry. Feel is prickly.

Not something I would recommend. I was very surprised as I enjoyed Saison Athene and this brew wasn't in the same league at all...

2.86/5  rDev -26.1%

Bottle shared at tasting. Pours cloudy and a dark caramel color with a big lasting creamy beige head. Smell is mild and dusty malt. Too mild in fact. Taste is similarly tame, and slightly sweet with not much going on flavorwise. Hints of dusty sweet spice which become almost a touch cloying in the end. Not something I'd be crazy about having again.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

I had this on tap at TJ's -served chilled and allowed to gradully warm.

The color is deep amber with murky look and no head, not very appealing, but not too terrible really. The smell is odd, but interesting -cheese-like funk with a mild sweet stone fruit note and mild spice. The feel is tart with some graininess and light sweetness, the sour tinge is funky with some yeasty qualities.

The flavor is unique but not especially great. There is a slight swiss cheese-like yeast flavor I can't get past, yet there is a fruity cherry-like element in there too which seems to add to the flavor that the yeast provides. There is slight spice in there with some mild alcohol, but in general I struggled to find favorable qualities to savor. I don't recommend this based on my experience. I don't think the combination they envisioned is what I tasted - it has that odd swiss cheese tinge that is distracting to me which hinders the other flavors and overall drinkability to me.

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%

Corked and caged bottle was a gusher after the cork exploded into the ceiling after the cage was removed. A dark amber body was eventually revealed under a huge beige head after some of the massive carbonation subsided. The head quickly vanished without significant lace.

Aroma was interesting. Malty toffee, dark fruits, peppery spices, yeast,and some fusel alcohol notes are present. I'm starting to wonder if they mislabeled their Belgian dark ale as this saison.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with overcarbonation issues.

Taste is quite different from the aroma. A lot dryer to taste, still with a solid toffee malt base. Dark fruits, yeast, peppery spices, and a sour funky note. Seems muddled and confused.

I've had this brewery's Saison Athene and enjoyed it, although that bottle was also a gusher. This one just doesn't work for me as a saison.

2.97/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured this beer in anticipation of the Texas/Ohio State Fiesta Bowl. Anticipation is high as I recently really enjoyed the St. Somewhere Saison Athene.

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Nice, dark amber color, with a solid white head.

The nose of this beer is definitely the high point. Slightly sour smells, more than a hint and pleasant. Also notes of yeast, and particularly apple and maybe some pear as well.

The taste disappoints. The initial taste is very dry followed by a bitter apple flavor. The flavors just don't really go together. The flavor begins as very weak, but then becomes an unlikable apple, which, unfortunately lingers.

The body is somewhat weak and the fruit bitterness make the drinkability less than idea.

All in all, I was disappointed in this beer, though it is worth noting that I did have very high expectations. The Athene blew my away; I was equally underwhelmed by the Lectio Divine.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

I bought this on a trip to FLA and the top of the cork broke off while I was trying to open it, I didn't have a corkscrew so I had to sink the cork to open it. This beer poured a cloudy orange/brown with very little white head. Heavy on the apples in both the smell and taste. A little spiciness sneaking in the smell, pepper maybe nutmeg. The mouthfeel was medium, it was almost flat, very little carbonation, very weird for a new bottle conditioned ale. It left a bit of a film in my mouth. Overall not very good, maybe I got a bad bottle.

Poured from a bomber into my Deschutes pint glass...

A - Pours a murky, muddy brown, apple cider color, with a fizzy head that disapates very quickly.

S - Smells like a tart apple cider. Spicey notes are present as well.

T - Not as tart as the smell would lead on. I do get notes of apple, clove, orange and cherries. Finishes clean and dry. Almost leaves peppery aftertaste.

M - Has a light mouthfeel, and in my opinion, over carbonated.

O - This is my first Saint Somewhere, and my first farmhouse ale. As a basis for my first review, this beer isn't bad. I dunno if I would buy another one, but I'm glad I tried this one.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Once I removed the cage over the cork, this bottle became self opening. Poured with a mammoth, very light tan head that actually settled down pretty quick and a little lace. Color is very hazy to a bit cloudy orange brown amber. Aroma is an intriguing mix of yeast, malt, spice, caramel, and a bit of leather. Flavor isn't as good as solvents come out big, plus the characteristics of the nose. Body seems a bit thin and carbonation is decent. Finish is like flavor and of medium length. I did serve this straight out of my cold fridge, so proly some odd expressions from that. Nevertheless, not as good as I'd hoped. Only drinking a few ounces of it.

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

759 ml corked and caged bottle.

I had a very hard time getting the cork out, finally resorted to breaking the neck off of the bottle quite carefully :)

It poured an apricot color with a medium off-white head that left very little in the way of lacing.

Nose has a lactic smell, and almost a grassy/barnyard saison nose. there is a VERY slight belgian yeast/bready malt smell as well, but this is overshadowed by the funk.

Taste followed the nose pretty much. Early on the palate was a sour/lactic tart flavor that was mixed with a bready/belgian yeasty flavor.. sourdough bread maybe? this was followed midpalate by some sweetness of fruits, apricot, peach almost.. and some funkiness of a saison almost as well.

It was plenty carbonated and easy to drink, but it was sort of all over the place for me in terms of style and flavor combinations. I did not enjoy this beer at all but i can understand how others could.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

As soon as I opened the cage the cork came flying off with the cage. Very aggressive bubbly head which faded very fast and left little lacing. Color is a nice deep amber. I'm not getting too much on the nose. I'm picking up the malt and spices but its a very faint smell. The taste is nice but not too impressive. Spice, Dried fruit, malt sweetness, a hit of booze and a little bit of acidity. This beer is way to carbonated for my liking I don't know if it's the bottle I got or if this is normal. I'd like to try this one again and see if my experience is any different.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Orangish red beer with a small white-tannish head that left a few spots on the side.

S - Sweet sugar, caramel, and butter. Diacetyl really dominates in this one.

T - A little Werther's original buttery and some sweet caramel and sugar surrounded by hints of stone fruit, lactose?, and yeast. Really buttery.

M - Medium bodied, low carbonation.

O - Okay beer. Nice butter sweet combination, but quite simple. Quite drinkable as well.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

The beer I bought was definitely the Divina but the really fit the definition of he other Lectio, which is a dark belgian. The beer was dark with a dark fruit flavor and aroma. The color was about the color of root beer, carbonation was a little fizzier and much lighter than the beer.

It was on sale at Pioneer on Manhattan's upper west side and is a good buy if you're in the area.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Looks very similar to the other saison from Saint Somewhere I had last night. Actually smells like it too. Anyway, it's a medium brown color, murky/hazy, rich looking. The head really does resemble their Saison Athene, extremely thick, retains for a crazy long time, with a dirty yellow color. This head produces a bit more lace than the other.

Very tart scent with some white pepper. This brewer loves spices. White grape and pear like other Belgian saisons. You can almost smell the funky you're likely getting ready to taste.

You never know what you're going to get with funky wild yeast and I'm not sure this is what they're going for. There's plenty of fruitiness, but it's all of the tart or sour variety. Reminds me of a kriek, with its vinegar. I don't really care for that style so this takes a hit because of that. The white pepper and the yeast give it a white wine or champagne-like taste. Again, it's not something I prefer. So, while I wouldn't consider it bad, I'll go with just okay.

The mouthfeel doesn't work for me either. High carbonation gives it an unwelcome bite. The vinegar feel does my palate no favors, as once it hits the sides of my palate, they're ruined for a while. There's a warming feeling in the swallow either from the alcohol or the white pepper, not sure which. It's exceptionally tart and sourish.

Same as their saison I had last night, I don't care for it. I do enjoy saisons and usually the funkier the better, but this has too many qualities I associate with a kriek for me to really enjoy.

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

I really did love my first Saint Somewhere beer, so naturally I was looking forward to getting this one to try. I picked it up on my last trip into Florida. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 12/24/2008.

The pour was nice. A rich looking light amber color with a decent amount of haze to it. Nice looking head at first, but then wham, a full glass of foam on top that really just ruined everything. Took forever to settle down on me.

The aroma was far too light. Notes of grain, light peaches and hints of other fruit, but nothing really shocking here at all. The flavor was more of the same, not really sure what was going on here, but it was just not what I was looking for. The flavor was weak, too light, and just did not have the punch I wanted. Smooth, light carbonation, again could have been a bit more.

Overall not sure about this one, a mess really with nothign making it stick out from the crowd.

3.33/5  rDev -14%

I had this on-tap at Max's

Appearance: Pours a reddish amber color with just under a finger of off white head that fades quickly.

Smell: Very mild. Malt and banana with a few herbal notes.

Taste: Malty banana. A bit tart with some herbs and a sweet malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was just ok. The sour hints made it more interesting, but the flavor combination just didn't do it for me.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Chimay goblet... it's a cloudy red-amber color with a LOT of bubble and small white head that dissipates quickly. Still a lot of bubble coming up a few minutes later.

It smells of malt and sour notes... a little caramel hint in there and some sour fruit smells. Not bad.

The flavor is a lot more sour than the aroma... a little woody note at the end of the sip.

Okay... this is a lot more sour than the typical BSPA that I've had before, which is also typical of the other Saint Somewhere brews I've tried.

I've been wanting to get more into sours, so it's nice to try these but they're a little rough to get into. I certainly wouldn't want to go straight to another one!

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Cork shoots off this one immediately after unscrewing the cage. Big head that shrinks to a small puffy line. Amber. I've only seen one other saison this dark, and it was brewed with rye. Oh I just noticed it's a cross between a Dubbel and a saison. Cool
Sweet on the nose, candied berries.
Sticky sweet, raspberries, peaches, a light tartness.
Soft carbonation makes it full on the mouth.
A great brew, but when I want I saison, I want something less sweet. A good twist on the style nonetheless, well executed, just not my preference.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The aroma is a bit wild with a touch of tart funkiness but it's mostly sweet with malt and a touch of toast and fruit. The appearance is muddy brown with a large head that fades to nothing. The taste is like the aroma. The palate is smooth but not thick. Overall a well made beer that just doesn't seem to b my thing.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

My first Saint Somewhere...

Cage twisty broke, and just as soon as I untied it, POP! the cork rocketed off the ceiling, and scared the shit out of my 11 month old. Thanks Saint Somewhere...

Big off-white head, which fades to ring, and no lacing. Body is a deep cider (brown/orange) color.

Aromas of raisins, plum, spices, and plenty of malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel kicks off with crazy carbonation - ginger ale soda like. Unfortunately, it masks the flavors, which include the aforementioned raisins, white grapes, and maybe a little cough syrup?? Bit of a rough ending, but not terrible.

Drinkability suffers the most from the over carbonation. But overall, the flavor is pretty nice.

Lectio Divina from Saint Somewhere Brewing Company