Lectio Divina | Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company
Florida, United States
saintsomewherebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Lectio Divina is a cross between an abbey double and a saison. Open fermentation with a saison strain and a dose of wild yeast at bottling add to the complexity.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-29-2007

View: Beers
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

3.64/5  rDev -5.5%

2010 vintage.

A: Lightly cloudy orange-tan with a fluffy off-white head that fades with little to no lace. Quickly goes nearly flat.

S: Initial whiff of acid sets my mouth awater. Light raisin, plum, brown sugar.

T: The flavor runs counter to the nose, in that it is not sour at all, but almost chocolaty. There is nearly an overtone of Turkish delight and raisins. The finish is rather dry, given the sweetness up-front.

M: Rather light, given the ABV, but the effect is quite pleasant.

O: I love the saison portion of this beer, but once again, I fear my dislike of dubbels persists. Nonetheless, I'm glad to have procured a bottle on a recent trip.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

A 2008 bottle aged in my cellar.

Poured into a tulip, produced a copious tan head that quickly dissipated to a thin ring. No lacing at all. Body is a crystal clear reddish copper.

Smells malty sweet, caramel, fruity with raisin/prune notes, and honey.

Tastes malty sweet throughout, though not cloying, with notes of caramel, raisins, and some orange. The flavor is well balanced. Finishes dry with a bit of orange zest.

Body is light as is the carbonation, producing a rather flat mouthfeel.

This does not resemble a saison at all. More like a cross between a dubbel or a quad and a barley wine. It was good for a try, and it is pleasant, though not complex, and I wouldn't go out of my way for it again.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Poured out a hazy, copper color with a two-finger, tan head of bubbly foam. It left sticky patches of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of oranges and other fruits. Slightly funky and a touch of mustiness.

T - It tasted somewhat sour and also funky. Some black cherry flavors with a touch of orange zest. It had a sweet malty backbone.

M - It was crisp and sharp without an pucker from the sourness. A medium bodied ale with a good deal of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

O - This is very unique and very tasty. I've only had two brews from Saint Somewhere and have loved both.

4.51/5  rDev +17.1%

Lucky me, a local restaurant was selling these bottles at a deep discount because they couldn't "move them". Much to my surprise the bottle was from 2009.
It had a nice orange amber look to it, not much of a head. The floral and fruity aroma could be picked up from a mile away. crisp and clean taste.
A fantastic offering, lucky me.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.95/5  rDev +28.6%

I have bottled this beer multiple times and I love it! The beer has a nice dry finish to it with appropriate levels of carbonation. What is more important is that this beer ages well. I still have bottles from 2009/2010 that are just as lively as the ones bottled last week. Hints raisin in this beer goes well with the slightly dry finish. This is a great beer for a holiday meal as it is not too heavy in flavor and alcohol.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

appearance - brown that is reminicent of a belgian Dubbel.

smell - alcohol, brandy, wood, earthy,

taste - plums, dark fruit, great bread, caramel, don't get any brett like I was expecting. It is a touch sour and tart on the back end and finishes strong with the dark fruits.

mouthfeel - mouthfeel is rather full, with very low carbonation

overall - I really liked this beer. I was hoping for a little more funk. The nose was like brandy which I'm assuming was from barrel aging or was it brett(?). I think a little better discription of the actual beer on their website or their bottle would be helpful. Can't wait to try something else from this brewery.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip
2010 on cork, in the fridge since July 2011

A: Did not even get the cage off the cork and it blew, but no gusher. Don't point the bottle at someone when you are opening this :) Dark reddish color with one of the biggest, fluffiest heads I have ever seen. The head is a light tan color and it eventually drops to one finger and surprisingly leaves no lace. My first thought was it looks like a dubbel.
S: A little dirt/earth and a hint of sourness.
T: A little tartness and a little earth, in the background is a flavor that reminds me of sour cherries. No hint of hops or alcohol. No caramel sweetness either, definitely not a Dubbel.
M: Very crisp with a lot of tingly carbonation. Very dry on the tongue which surprised me given the color, I was expecting a little more roundness, but I guess the Brett chewed through that.
O: I am not a saison expert, but I have had more then a couple and from what I can tell, this beer holds it own with the classics. This would make an excellent pairing with some good cheese, but you could easily enjoy by the pool on a hot summer day. Excellent, well worth trying.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

I had this on-tap at Max's

Appearance: Pours a reddish amber color with just under a finger of off white head that fades quickly.

Smell: Very mild. Malt and banana with a few herbal notes.

Taste: Malty banana. A bit tart with some herbs and a sweet malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was just ok. The sour hints made it more interesting, but the flavor combination just didn't do it for me.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

750ml bottle with a 2009 cork in it, picked up at Premier in Buffalo. Didn't really know much about it except that St. Somewhere does some good stuff.

Pours a ruddy brown that look a touch like a dubbel. Finger of head which has some good retention.

Nose is quite fruity, some bread, a touch of spice, honey, a dash of something mineral. Flavor reflects the wild yeast a bit more, swore there was Brett in it, though it is so balanced with the other characteristics that it doesn't demand attention. Dark fruits, fruit bread, a dash of spicy saison yeast, mineral/Brett like dryness, floral, touch of barnyard.

Really easy drinking, pleasant bone dry finish, smooth. The first half I was a little wary of this one, really unique - but it came together for me and I enjoyed it. Don't go into it expecting a saison, unique hybrid.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Got this in a BIF a while back, I'll edit this when I figure out which it was. 2008 on the cork wow!

A: Hazy brown pour with yellow edges. Brownish yellowish strange head that is extremely bubbly and doesn't stick around very long. Amazing how good the carbonation is after 3 years.

S: The smell is really interesting. Lots of booze, some sour, and malts mostly.

T: Mostly tastes like a weak amber ale with a little saison mixed in. Malts sit on the backend.

MF: The carbonation really impresses me considering the age. Crisp, light, refreshing, not a lot of booze. The smell is a bit misleading.

O: Not bad at all. Not as good as Saison Athene IMO.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

750ml C&C bottle poured into a Tulip. Cork shot off as soon as I removed the cage, luckily this isn't my first St. Somewhere beer so I was prepared!

A - Pours a dark reddish mahogany with a thick bone-colored head. Great retention, leaves some spotty lacing clinging to the glass.
S - Moderately sweet aromas of dark malt, figs, and brown sugar crossed with a funky Saison yeast strain. Nice and spicy.
T - Dubbel crossed with a Saison sums up this beer perfectly, all of the trademark flavors of both styles are here : Fig jam, brown sugar, raisins, and caramel malt with that funky Saison yeast that imparts coriander and drying lemon juice. Very unique.
M - Crisp, with a medium body and sharp, effervescent carbonation. Finish is quite dry, precisely how I like my Saisons.
O - Excellent, unique take on a favorite style. I love this brewery.

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%

On tap @ The Avenue Pub, ACBW Finale. From notes.

Pours an amber/orange color, head was light tan and didn't stick around long. Smells funky, with a slight barnyard funk about it, yeasty, bready, slightly sugary sweet with a bit of fruitiness. Definite tart taste, and it's yeasty funky. Bready notes, slightly fruit-ester-y, and with a mild acidity. Crisp body, slightly high carbonation levels, slight oily, slick texture. An interesting beer. I can't yet appreciate sours, but this was nice and doable, being on the lighter end of the spectrum and more slightly tart and funky, rather than puckering. Seems like an appropriate sort of gateway into what I would call a taboo sort of category of brews.

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As I started untwisting the cage the cork decided it was goin to blow itself out of the bottle and hit the roof of my friends kitchen. Being thankful I still had both my eyes I proceeded with pouring the beer out. The beer poured with a nice brownish amber color with a white foamy head. The smell of the beer was earthy and had a sourness on the nose. The taste of the beer was on the tart side and had some nice earthy saison flavors in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and has a big amount of carbonation to it. Overall this is a pretty tasty brew. I enjoy Saint Somewhere's techniques and what they're making. Very cool stuff all around.

Lectio Divina from Saint Somewhere Brewing Company