Lectio Divina | Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

Saint Somewhere Brewing Company
Florida, United States
saintsomewherebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Lectio Divina is a cross between an abbey double and a saison. Open fermentation with a saison strain and a dose of wild yeast at bottling add to the complexity.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-29-2007

Liked:
3.85/5
Alströms:

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Looks very similar to the other saison from Saint Somewhere I had last night. Actually smells like it too. Anyway, it's a medium brown color, murky/hazy, rich looking. The head really does resemble their Saison Athene, extremely thick, retains for a crazy long time, with a dirty yellow color. This head produces a bit more lace than the other.

Very tart scent with some white pepper. This brewer loves spices. White grape and pear like other Belgian saisons. You can almost smell the funky you're likely getting ready to taste.

You never know what you're going to get with funky wild yeast and I'm not sure this is what they're going for. There's plenty of fruitiness, but it's all of the tart or sour variety. Reminds me of a kriek, with its vinegar. I don't really care for that style so this takes a hit because of that. The white pepper and the yeast give it a white wine or champagne-like taste. Again, it's not something I prefer. So, while I wouldn't consider it bad, I'll go with just okay.

The mouthfeel doesn't work for me either. High carbonation gives it an unwelcome bite. The vinegar feel does my palate no favors, as once it hits the sides of my palate, they're ruined for a while. There's a warming feeling in the swallow either from the alcohol or the white pepper, not sure which. It's exceptionally tart and sourish.

Same as their saison I had last night, I don't care for it. I do enjoy saisons and usually the funkier the better, but this has too many qualities I associate with a kriek for me to really enjoy.

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

one of the more interesting saisons I've ever had. its a copper colored beer, and once its in the glass, it has a big puffy white head light as air, huge bubbles bursting and reforming like mad, very alive look to it. the cork blew off as soon as the cage was loosened, and i almost lost an eye, it gushed right up, but i had a glass ready. tickles my nose as i sniff it, soda level carbonation, lots of funk, not bretty, but beyond the conventional saison yeasts we always see. some native florida stuff here from what i understand. brassy mineral smell, with dry red grains, maybe some rye, or at least the yeast has that white pepper spice to it. a musty wood aroma too, composty, don't know where that comes from, but its new to me and i like it. the flavor is equally dynamic, with the yeast being the prime flavor agent but the mouthfeel being impossible to overlook. it has so much carbonation, huge bubbles, that as soon as its in my mouth, it basically dissipates. theres not much to swallow because the bubbles make it disappear, its insane. the only other beer to ever do that for me was the architecture brew from tool. i love that liveliness of feel, and its so well suited to the richer malt of this beer. top tier stuff.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Good thing we read about the pressure. Once we took the cage off the cork started coming out by itself!

Is copper/amber, a little hazy, not perfectly clear.

Smells tart, more like cherry than apple or apricot. Smells a little bready too.

Bright, acidic, tart (?) cherry (?) up front. Not sweet. Rich. Full bodied.

Later sips reveal the full-bodied, round mouthfeel and the dry, champagne-y astringent finish, part cherry, part mineral.

A very good beer. Maybe more subtle than many, maybe less approachable than some, but very good, complex, interesting, delicious all around.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

2012 vintage

a - poured a two-fingers thick bubbly, tan head into a tulip glass that left thick sheeting throughout. the body was a bright and clear amber color.
s - musty apples dominate.
t - green apples, some graininess, horse blanket.
m - crisp and bubbly.
o - solid saison and prob the best i've had from st. somewhere.

1.75/5  rDev -54.5%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pour / Appearance: The cork almost took out my eye, but thankfully I know better than to uncage a beer towards me. Cork shot right off and scared the hell out of my cat, with beer getting all over my recliner. Ah well. Shame to lose the beer but bad prep on their part. Most of the glass for the first few pours is solid foam, although there is some pretty lacing as it dissipates. Hard to not have lacing with that much carb though. A very hazy brownish gold.

Aroma: The aroma is actually pretty delightful, hints of caramel and darker malts right along with saison pepper and heat. Takes really putting your nose in the glass to get it, but it's a great aroma when it presents. As it warms up, gets a bit of wort scent in there. It's impossible to believe this isn't fully fermented, but hey.

Taste: An odd combination yields a funky taste, and I do mean funky. I wonder if brett is in here to any capacity. The dubbel really takes a backseat to the yeast characteristics, presenting mostly as caramel, pale chocolate, and some bitterness. Saint Somewhere says they use noble hops, which would explain the lack of bittering and hop aromas. That's fine by my here but otherwise this feels like a saison someone threw too many dark malts into? Is that the point? If so, Saint Somewhere needs some work at recipe formulation, or to just stick to calling everything saisons with a malt addendum of sorts.

Overall: Eh. The price wasn't terrible, but I had to have it shipped. I'm a big saison fan, so it's worth it to me. Other folks may hate it, and quite a few more will just be confused.

Bottom Line: Only worth it to saison fans or you live near the brewery. It's not a bad beer; it's just more of a trial run rather than a refined recipe.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

750ml bottle. 2008 bottle. Into a Cantillon tulip.

A: Pours a woody brown color with a nice light beige head.

S: Aroma brings thick vinous notes, raisin, fig, mild oxidation.

T: Taste brings light sherry-like oxidation, raisiny, mild lactic tartness, plum, brown bread, vanilla.

M: Light-bodied with springy carbonation.

O: With a bottle aged this long I was hoping it would be a little more acidic and funky, but really all that age has done to this is brought out the dubbel elements more with some oxidation. Not bad, but not what it could have been.

Lectio Divina from Saint Somewhere Brewing Company