Pays Du Soleil | Saint Somewhere Brewing Company

Florida, United States
saintsomewherebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Fall

Pays du Soleil is brewed as a saison and not a dubbel, although it has a resemblance to both.

Added by corby112 on 09-09-2009

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%

I received this beer as an extra in a recent trade with Avagadro. Thanks Aaron!

When first grabbing the cork it quickly shot off and really didn't require any effort. It pours a dirty dark orange, almost a dull bronze in color with a one finger head which devoured itself within second. The beer continued to bubble from below for several minutes. The aromas consist of sweet berries, interesting almost mint like spice, and red wine notes. I definitely didn't expect that. The flavors are full of sweet, fruity malt with light alcohol. It doesn't have much complexity. It doesn't really feature much yeast or funk and isn't what I'd call "traditional". To me it is over carbonated for the style. Aside from the cork popping off and the self destructive foam, it has the mouthfeel of a Rose Brut or other carbonated wine, yet with a little more body. It's an interesting drink but not something I'd revisit.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

750 ml bottle served cold and allowed to warm up. Cork says 2010. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A. Body is a clear ruby red when held up to the light. Off-white two finger head that disapated extremely quickly. Very well carbonated.

S. Slight acidic funkiness, sour grapes,green apples,wet grass. There is an almost astringent alchohol smell.

T. I kind of wasn't expecting this, I get some fig and caramel and toffee and a slight fruitiness like you would find in a tripel. I get a touch of rye spiciness. I can really taste the booze.

M. Very light bodied and extremely carbonated. A slight tart dry finish.

Overall the aroma didn't match the taste,which wasn't bad but I felt it was kind of all over the place. I am certainly glad I got to try this, but this will probably be my last.

3.29/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Lots of love for Saint Somewhere but...ehh...this really isn't a Saison folks.

It's too dark---yes, throw a 100 watt bulb behind it and you might see some gold if you squint, but that doesn't make it so.

The nose is quite good. Put a blindfold on and you might say it's got that familiar barnyard quality.

Tastewise I get an underpinning of cherry juice. It just won't go away. Nothing wrong here but I just don't get much "farmhouse".

Overall? If you are a SS fan you must try it. The brewer has worked very hard to create a great catalog of Florida-eqse brews. If you are a stickler for details though prepare yourself for a "urban" version of Saison.

No disrespect intended here. It's a nice beer. I would drink another one.

3.33/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

3.37/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bought on recommendation of local publican. Sours are not my style but I really liked St. Somewhere's Lectio du Chene.

Other reviews of funk, diaper, and other weird smells make me suspicious of this one.

Had to take cage off with pliers because the twister broke off. Cork started coming out of its own accord. Careful! Cork says 2013, and we are tasting in April of 2014.

Smells of tart apples, tart fruit -- not rotten, and only a hint of funk. Big head subsides fairly quickly. Color is as red as brown, and fairly clear, maybe a little cloudy.

First sip is bright, quickly turning astringent, with a long earthy finish. Next sips reveal more of the belgian "dubbel" character, but the dryness is still primary. Funkier on the tongue (in the finish) than in the nose.

Even later tastes are more malty, round, complex in the mouth, but the finish always reveals the drying character of the brett, which I don't like so well.

Not as good as Lectio in my book, though I admit this isn't my favorite style.

3.43/5  rDev -11.1%

Pays du Soleil is a dark copper or amber color. It's full of haze, but light gives it nice orange highlights. A tan head covers the top and stands about one and a half fingers tall. Carbonation appears very active, but retention was still quite good. Lacing was definitely light and somewhat sparse.

The nose is definitely spicy up front. I'm getting pepper, clove, and some other ancillary varieties. I'm pleased to report that Belgian yeast is in the mix and smells nice. I wouldn't complain if it was a little stronger, but at least it's here. Light dark fruit is noted. Smells like plum to me. Apple and pear are also present to a lesser extent. Earthy and musky notes round it out. Alcohol is held in check pretty well.

The flavor's alright, but isn't great. It's nice and fruity up front. Apple and pear flavors kick it off. It has a nice malty flavor. Earthy notes and musk are prominent throughout. Belgian yeast is certainly tasty. Spices emerge and really take over the flavor. Tastes a little too spicy to me. Pepper and clove add a nice flavor, but there's something here that is out of place and hurts the overall flavor quite a bit. It really is off-putting, but I don't quite know what it is. Alcohol is more noticeable here and is perhaps a little too prominent. Finishes with a spicy blast.

Pays du Soleil has a medium body. Carbonation is active and quite buzzy. It's not smooth, but isn't bad by any stretch. Drinkability's pretty average. The spicy flavor is intense and gets old quick. Couple that with the weird spicy flavor and it's downright exhausting to get through a bottle. I don't hate it, but I didn't really enjoy it.

Saint Somewhere needs to tweak Pays du Soleil a bit. There's definitely something here to improve. The spices need to be toned down. One seems to throw the flavor, but I have no idea what it is. Less alcohol taste and bubbles would also help. It's not a total disaster, and is probably worth a try. Here's hoping Saint Somewhere tweaks this one just a little. It has potential.

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%

750 oz bottle poured into a tulip at refrigerator temperature. I had this beer before at Brewvival and loved it. Finally getting around to actually reviewing it.

L - Amber-brown color with a 1-finger bubbly white head. Average retention, no lacing. Tons of carbonation bubbles. A little darker than I expected from a Saison.

S - There is the telltale barnyard funk of Brettanomyces up front, followed by aromas of caramel, brown sugar, sour grapes and apples, orange zest, and spicy Belgian yeast. Smells great and very complex.

T - Not nearly as tasty as I thought it would be considering the aroma. Still complex but not necessarily the good, “wow this has so many delicious layers” complex; more like the “I can’t figure out what’s going on and I don’t like it” complex. The funky Brett is still definitely apparent followed by a somewhat burnt sugar sweetness, a Belgian yeast spiciness, and a subtle bitter earthy hop finish. Not nearly as fruity or sour as the nose suggested.

F - Light-to-medium bodied, tons of carbonation, and a dry and slightly bitter finish.

O - I’ve got to say I was disappointed by this one. I remember this beer being a lot better, and the aroma suggested that I was going to be in for a treat. That simply was not the case. I had another Saint Somewhere beer at Brewvival (Athene C) that I loved, so I’ll have to try some more of their beers soon before I write them off.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

bottle had a nice "pop" like a bottle of bubby might. the beer is light, somewhat fruity and sparkling wine-like with a quickly dissipating head. it has saison characteristics and develops into a semi-interesting, if not remarkable, combination of flavors. if it's really 8% ABV as the label says, it does an amazing job of hiding it.

on the downside, it's very thin (almost see through) and not especially memorable. glad i tried it but not one that i would necessarily seek out again. it's more bartles and james than i want in my beer.

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%

Hinging dangerously and delightfully towards Flanders Red flavor and feel, this Double Ale shares what's best about Beglian Double Ales and advanced Sour Reds.

The pour delives a rusty brownish red color with froathy-fizzy first head character but with a follow of fleeting and still appearance soon after. Odd how the beer shows promise early but dull late.

Aromas of acidic cherries and apple blend (red apples, granny smith, and crabapples) show up front and with a rounded amber malt character with cider and light vinegar.

Sharp green apple, lime, under ripe berries, and cherry taste rise early. Rounded flavors of malty bread crusts and scorched toffee round out the acidic fruit notes, while contributing a buffering sweetness and richness. Still, the cider/vinegar acidity proves a bit too much.

Moderate for a sour ale, but light for a Dubbel, the acidity plays a big role in the feel of the beer by preventing a creamy-smooth upstart. But the fleeting dry/acidic finish is superb.

As a Dubbel, the beer is way too acidic and tart. But as a Flander's Red, the beer is moderate, safe, and lacks gusto. At any rate, the beer is a delight to drink for any Sour Ale fan.

Pays Du Soleil from Saint Somewhere Brewing Company