Newbold IPA | Philadelphia Brewing Company

None provided.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 129 | Ratings: 252
Reviews by drexeldan:

I just picked up a case of Newbold IPA from my local distributor in Thorndale, PA. My selection was predicated on a couple of factors. I had picked up a case or two of this brew previously, before I moved out here from Philly. At that point in time I'm pretty certain that Newbold was 6.0 abv. In any event, that was what I expected. I also remember that it was an o.k. but not great brew. I selected this case because my local spot is priced on the high side, the brew was acceptable, and I know that Phila Brewing is priced in the lower craft beer range. Having said that, I just popped one after a round of golf and I am now happy at happy hour. This is not the best IPA (I like Avery, Firestone Union Jack, and various of the long line of Victory IPAs.) but much better than I remember. The abv is now 7.0, (so, express train to the land) and the taste is a nice, sharp, hoppy one. The head was moderate from a bottle poured into a chilled 22 oz. mug, roughly two fingers. The color is a pleasant, medium amber. The slightest generic fruit overtone, not much really. This, at least in the local Philly area, is a good value.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Holly crap this stuff is over carbonated! A medium pour gave me more than two inches of head that seems to fizz out rather quickly with little head. Big clumps of sediment means either its old or just unfiltered. Either way not good so far.
S - Smell is mild not getting much hops or malts. Smell if anything is just of an average English pale ale.
T+M - Man that carbonation makes it hard to drink! My first sip gave me strong unbalanced pure hop bitterness in all it's unforgiving glory. Very little sweet or crystal malts for balanced just bitter and drain cleaner harshness.

Overall it's a real shame since I love their imperial stout but they can't seem to make anything else that impresses me. Pity.

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a light brown color with a 1/2 inch head and considerable lacing throughout. Smell is mostly of hops, lots of citrus. Taste is hops up front, lots of citrus, a touch of malts. Feels full bodied in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this is a good quality beer.

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

(12oz Bottle)

Pours a hazy golden color with a small bubbly off white head. Smell is earthy hops, pine, and some lemon. Taste is slightly bitter with earthy hops, and lemons. Medium mouthfeel, and medium carbonation. Overall this is an average IPA.

3.31/5  rDev -2.4%

At the Porter House in New Hope, PA. Poured amber/copper with two fingers of white, good retention, and great lacing. Modest visible carbonation. Smelled of bitter grassiness and hay; not much fruitiness or maltiness. The taste confirmed the lack of fruit flavor; this IPA was very dry, bitter, and woody, with a super-dry finish. Medium, modestly-carbonated, and easy to drink. Good for sessioning, if you favor the more grassy/herbal variety.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

-L- Dirty golden brown. Active carbonation

-S- Clean. pleasant hops scent jumps right out at you.

-T- Good blend of hops. Controlled spices. Very nice.

-F- This is a really well balanced IPA. The hops they chose work very well together.

-D- Overall I enjoyed this drink. Is it my favorite IPA? No. Would I have it again. You bet. Well done PBC!!

3.6/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer poured out as a clear copper color with a white head on top. The wasn't much lacing or anything here. The smell of the beer was quite impressive I thought. The aroma of big amounts of hops were on the nose. I never expected this kind of an aroma from a beer with such a plain label. I shouldn't feel that way since Pliny's label is about as boring as it gets. Anyway, the taste of the beer has a solid bitterness to it with some caramel malts in the background. The mouthfeel was pretty typical. Overall This brew wasn't bad, I was surprised by it actually.

3.11/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz bottle to pint glass.
Nice looking brew here. Pale gold, looks similar to honey in color. Big white head with good retention. Smell is malty with a little grapefruit from the hops. Taste is very malt forward for an AIPA. Sweet honey, licorice, rye and grapefruit make up the palate. Hops are there but aren't bright and get lost in the malts. Mouthfeel is fluid with mild dryness. Decent brew but isn't a great example of the style.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes. Consumed at the Moo Bar.

A: Pours a dark orange/copper color with a slight haze to it. One finger off-white head forms upon pouring, but reduces rather quickly. Spotty lace formation.

S: Lots of citrus, grapefruit and some pine upfront with caramel on the back end.

T: Very citrusy upfront on the flavor profile. There is some grapefruit, pineapple, and a little orange rind. There is some caramel and a little toffee on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Slightly dry finish, but overly bitter.

O: A solid IPA that could be consumed at any time.

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

A free sample, got it when I bought some beer I wanted (Arrogant Bastard ale). Little head, not much carbonation. Maybe my fault, put it in the freezer to cool it off quick. Some citrus flavor, makes me think more of iced tea than beer. Would not buy. OK to cool off.

Newbold IPA from Philadelphia Brewing Company