Schwarzinger

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
SchwarzingerSchwarzinger
Notes:
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 37 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Philadelphia Brewing Company "Schwarzinger"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, inkjet coding information is smudged and illegible

Impressive! They've nailed the dark maltiness of a schwarzbier with a light bit of fudge-like chocolate and the suggestion of smoky roastiness without actually going there. Just a touch too much and a schwarzbier becomes something else but they've kept it reigned in, and remarkably well-balanced. Non-traditionally, they've used some citrusy hops which throw it off for me, but I'm sure others will love that. I could see this taking on the almost fanatical following that Philadelphia once had for Yuengling's Black & Tan, and if they can put it on tap at or near the cost of Kenzinger I have no doubt that'll happen.

Feb 16, 2016
JPowell712 from Pennsylvania

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The pour was dark black with a tan or khaki colored head. The aroma off the out gave off a bit of hops, maybe a hint of roasted coffee. The taste was very good! It had roasted malt character, smokiness, a touch of roasted coffee and dark chocolate hints. It finished a little on the dry side. I would say this was a great beer for the FALL or WINTER seasons. The roasted and smoky flavors work really nicely in this beer. Another great beer from my hometown brewery!

Jul 24, 2015
DrDemento456 from Pennsylvania

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Sweet a new beer from Philadelphia Brewing Company! Found it in the mix six section at the House of 1,000 beers.
A - Deep dark beautiful blackness with just a 1/4 inch of head that fades to a sticky ring.
S - Light smoked malts, some cocoa, and roastiness.
T - One smooth Swartz. It has mild smoked malts, smooth chocolate like malts, and a bit of sunk in the finish that leaves a bit of dryness. On par with the style love it.
M - Medium bodied not watery, slick and smooth.

Overall I would consider getting this again hell I would buy a case. It's tasty!

May 07, 2014
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.57/5  rDev +22.2%

It seems as though this may be another tone77 special! He is my frequent, local, in-person trader and I am always fascinated by what he brings by for me to review. I am pretty much to the point that I will only review beers when I am at home, but I have plenty to keep me busy.

From the bottle: "A German style black lager brewed with premium pilsner and dark roasted malts."

I started out with a heavy-handed pour until the head began to rise at an incredible rate and I backed off. I was faced with two-plus fingers of dense, deep-brown head with fantastic retention. It looked like a chocolate milk shake sitting before me and I put on some music to keep me company as I awaited for it to abate. What was I listening to? "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart", written by James F. Hanley and sung by Judy Garland. Color was a deep, dense dark-brown with ruby highlights (SRM = 44), allowing just a little light penetration at the edges. Nose had a smoky chocolatiness and I was reminded of my late Pops' affection for Hershey's Special Dark. This beer's smell was very evocative of that. Mouthfeel was full, creamy, and the chocolate taste was spot on. I was really digging the way that the smokiness of the "dark roasted malts" was coming through, but melding nicely with the chocolatiness. Finish was semi-dry, more smoky than chocolaty, but quite the beer.

Dec 03, 2013
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.61/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of roasted malts, a bit smokey. Taste is the same, lots of roasted malts and smokiness, a bit of hops are present as well. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

Nov 03, 2013
mvanaskie13 from Pennsylvania

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a tall pint glass, color is dark brown with brown on the bottom edges of the glass; head is thin and dissipates to a ring.

Smell is roasted malt, chocolate, clean hop maybe some grass, maybe a little sweet in its presence.

Taste is on the sweeter side, but clean lager taste - no fruitiness noted - roasted malts are upfront melding into a chocolate sweetness that lingers; hops are present and quite bitter, no apparent strong flavor.

Mouthfeel is pleasant, but definitely on the sweet side, lingering on the tongue and with a strong bitterness.

Overall, a sweet schwarzbier, but clean flavors and a touch bitter. Its an interesting take on the style, maybe tone down on the amount of roasted malts?

Aug 30, 2013