Brickstone APA | BrickStone Restaurant & Brewery

Brickstone APABrickstone APA

BrickStone Restaurant & Brewery
Illinois, United States
brickstonebrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Deep golden in color, made with light caramel malts, hopped with loads of Amarillo hops with a slight citrus flavor, then dry hopped for 4 days for a plentiful aroma.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2009

Reviews by NorthSideSean:
4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks again to Joe. At least he's good for something!

This APA pours like a Pale Ale should. Right on the threshold of orange and yellow, pretty clean with some mild unfiltered presence, and a rocky almost bone white head that retains its existence on the surface as well as the glass.

This APA smells like a Pale Ale should as well. Pungent hops that are almost undescribable, yet too familiar. Grapefruit, orange, and seasoning spices tossed together then blended with pine needles, and served up fresh and chilled.

Guess what... This tastes like an APA should. I can probably reciprocate those words above to a T, but I won't. It's sappy as if little hints of caramel are coating those damp pine needles that we're marinated in orange juice for days.

Might as well continue with the theme. This feels like a Pale Ale should. Dank, bitter, smooth, bubbly, fresh, clean.

It reminds me of when people used to complain about Pale Ales being too piney and too bitter, and for that, I love it. A beer that, just like the classics of the style, would be welcomed to be consumed all day, year round. Unpretentious, unhyped, unbelievably solid.

Thanks again Joe. Cheers!

Awesome beer. I will also say out of the gate that the 89 rating above (as of 9-22-16) is what inspired me to finally get a Beer Advocate account. I often wonder, when I see a rating like this that jars with my experience, if the recipe changed between all the B-plus reviews and my A-plus experience. I mean, 89 is not bad but this is no 89. It’s one of the best IPAs (OK, APA) I’ve ever had. I believe I must do my part to nudge this one into the 90s.

Man, the nose on this one. Just incredible—like sticking your face in a pouch of Citra pellets (a fine way to pass five minutes). You get it the second you crack open the can. The color is bright brass and perfectly translucent. It tastes real nice. At 6.25% it is guilt inducing when you try to make a session ale out of it, but you will want to.

On the personal tip, I literally tried to brew this beer two months ago, which is two months before I ever heard of it or the brewery. Total coincidence, but it’s got the same hops (Centennial, Amarillo, and Citra) that I used and the color/grain bill I was going for. Mine was decent, but nothing compared to this. My rave review may be akin to a folkie at the Gaslight in ‘61 doing a set and feeling pleased with himself—and then hearing Dylan crack off “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall.”

There has been a lot of buzz about this one since winning the gold metal. Some would suggest it is on comparable footing to Zombie Dust. Gasp!

Appearance - The beer was a light coppery color with a bubbly white head.

Smell - The citrus in the aroma is very apparent. I detect fresh oranges, resiny hops, and a certain measure of Earthiness.

Taste - On the initial taste, I detect grassy grapefruit, lemon, pepper, and orange rind. It is a bright example of the style, and is mellow enough to be a pale ale. The aftertaste is resiny, with the hops growing progressively more bitter and perhaps dry.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation was modest, brushing the tastes off of the tongue nicely.

Overall - It is worth noting that I gave this beer a higher score than Zombie Dust.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'll never seek Zombie Dust again after finding a new Amarillo and Citra Hopped APA that's practically half the price and not a pain to find. Awesome flavor profile on this one...juicy and crushable.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

this is a great beer, and proof that surprises are still out there to be discovered and enjoyed! never had heard of these guys before a random pint of this on the road in southern illinois, and it really took me. interesting on both the grain and the hop fronts for an american pale. on the malt side, its slightly toasty, but not sweet in the least, and not heavy or dark, but somewhat more substantial in flavor than most, obviously not just pale two row. the hops have both the bitter crispness i look for in the style and the dry hopped sort of fruit forward hoppiness that is in vogue right now, really the best of both worlds, and put together in such a cohesive and drinkable package, drier and bubbly, just really tops it off for me. clearish, fizzy, fragrant, and very balanced. this is on the edge of expert, and something that really just caught me off guard. for all the random pales out there, its wonderful to discover one of this quality. the amarillo hops are radiant, and the beer is gorgeous. need to track down some more stuff from these guys. do not sleep on this one! what a treat!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.79/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is certainly tropical and fruity. Picking up on papayas, mangoes etc. and maybe some peach. Taste is bitter earthy hop. Some fruit walking in and out. Mouthfeel is extremely carbonated which prickles my tongue eccentuating the bitterness-not good for me. Off putting actually. Over the top zesstiness. I can't drink a lot of these and I actually wince when I look in my fridge and there still there. Would not buy again. Guest beer?!?

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Had at Brickstone. The keg had kicked, but they were nice enough to open a bottle for me.

A: Pours a clear orange/golden color with a foamy white head on top with great retention and sticky lacing forming all the way down the glass.

S: Very fruity and tropical, plenty of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and guava. Very faint grainy malt, but the fruit aromas dominate.

T: Similar to the aroma, more grapefruit, pineapple, and tropical fruits. A little bit of grassy and a touch of pine to top it off.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Extremely easy drinking with very light bitterness.

O: Very happy to have gotten to try this beer, it was great. Truly a beer I would be thrilled to drink all the time and keep stocked in my fridge.

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Brickstone APA bomber served in a pint glass. No best by or bottled on date. I'm sure it's pretty fresh as the store owner said they had just got this in.

Appearance-dark honey colored, almost no head on the pour. Settles to a wispy laciness. She is very clear. No floaties and no chill haze to speak of.

Aroma- the aroma isn't very powerful. What is there is pleasent and very fresh smelling. I think maybe a bit more carbonation would push those scents out a bit more. If you've ever crushed fresh quality hops in your hand, then you have a pretty good idea what this beer smells like.

Taste-it's delicious. No flaws or off flavors to speak of. This bottle is extremely fresh as well. The bitterness is not cloying or powerful but pleasant and it stays with you just long enough. The malts blend nicely with the hops. I definitely didn't expect this beer to be as malty as she is but it's not a bad thing. The balance is strong on both sides. Although from the hops I would say the finer qualities of the hops are strong in this beer and not harsh bitterness.

Drink- I would say anything more then 2 bombers of this would be too much as this beer has such a big body to it. Not a knock on the beer because its wonderful to drink, but she is a bit heavy.

Overall- I was surprised by this beer. I would drink a lot more if it was available in six packs. I'm not going to keep spending 8.99 a bomber though. A lot of people compare this to Zombie dust. And to tell you the truth, I would have a hard time deciding which one to buy if they were both side by side. Zombie is a bit drier. But I like the smoother bitterness of this beer.
This is a very good beer and I may get it once in a while. If Brickstone wants my money consistently though, they need to put it in 6 packs and charge a more reasonable price.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yes....yes...yes....this is very similar to the way Z'Dust used to taste like before mass production. The beer poured a slightly hazy copper with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent is a beautiful mix of pine and orange peel. The taste is very well balanced not to malty sweet and not too bitter....with perfect blend of citrus and pine. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall.....yeah...its that good!

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16oz draft pour into a pint glass has a bright clear honey colored body and floats a thin cap of white head.
Pine aroma dominates with grapefruit and citrus pith.
Flavor matches with a slight cracker malt hint.
Mouthfeel is a medium with active carbonation bubbles rising.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Brickstone APA from BrickStone Restaurant & Brewery