Brickstone APA | BrickStone Restaurant & Brewery

Brickstone APABrickstone APA

BrickStone Restaurant & Brewery
Illinois, United States
brickstonebrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Deep golden in color, made with light caramel malts, hopped with loads of Amarillo hops with a slight citrus flavor, then dry hopped for 4 days for a plentiful aroma.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-27-2009

Awesome beer. I will also say out of the gate that the 89 rating above (as of 9-22-16) is what inspired me to finally get a Beer Advocate account. I often wonder, when I see a rating like this that jars with my experience, if the recipe changed between all the B-plus reviews and my A-plus experience. I mean, 89 is not bad but this is no 89. It’s one of the best IPAs (OK, APA) I’ve ever had. I believe I must do my part to nudge this one into the 90s.

Man, the nose on this one. Just incredible—like sticking your face in a pouch of Citra pellets (a fine way to pass five minutes). You get it the second you crack open the can. The color is bright brass and perfectly translucent. It tastes real nice. At 6.25% it is guilt inducing when you try to make a session ale out of it, but you will want to.

On the personal tip, I literally tried to brew this beer two months ago, which is two months before I ever heard of it or the brewery. Total coincidence, but it’s got the same hops (Centennial, Amarillo, and Citra) that I used and the color/grain bill I was going for. Mine was decent, but nothing compared to this. My rave review may be akin to a folkie at the Gaslight in ‘61 doing a set and feeling pleased with himself—and then hearing Dylan crack off “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall.”

4.96/5  rDev +19.2%

4.91/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.86/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Apparently the gold medal winning APA at the 2012 GABF and bronze at the World Beer Cup (posted all over Restaurant/Brewery and on the pint glass). Let's just say I have not had a more pleasant aroma from an APA. Carmel Honey Floral Hop Aroma. Poured beautifully in a tall 23 oz glass. Slighlty darkened golden with an off white thick but small head with lingering lacing- depending on the day it can sometimes have a slight haze. I love the flavor of this beer, leaving me to give it a top rating. As of now, I have yet to try a more pleasing tasting APA (but I will keep trying). Perfect blend of light carmel spice flora hops sweetness and malt. I had been trying to place the slight spice flavor for awhile and a fellow beer advocate brother and I have decided on a faint spicy cinamon aftertaste. Carbonated on the lighter side, but that's perfect for me. So if you have it in a growler I can see how you may feel it is undercarbonated. Currently my favorite APA, but I sure will enjoy trying to find a better. A great beer from the Brickstone Brewers!

4.86/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Growler poured into a Brickstone pint glass.

Moderate pour produces a frothy head and ringed lacing. The brew is clear and glowing apriciot. Very appealing.

Smell has nice mango, guava, orange and grapefruit and light honey malt.

Taste has a less tropical but still full fruit flavor mixed with some pine. These are balanced against a slightly sweet malt flavor. Low bitterness in the finish. Each burst of fruity hop flavor encourages another taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and oily with flavor that coats the palate. Low/medium carbonation.

This is a top notch APA. We met owner/brewmasters George and Tommy and chef Dino who were very generous with their time and "samples". They run a great establishment that is well worth the scenic drive from Chicagoland. Congrats on your medals as this is a very worthy example of the APA style.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An amazingly hoppy APA. This beer tips towards the top end of the style at 6.25% but it's hoppy magic in a glass!

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.76/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yes....yes...yes....this is very similar to the way Z'Dust used to taste like before mass production. The beer poured a slightly hazy copper with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent is a beautiful mix of pine and orange peel. The taste is very well balanced not to malty sweet and not too bitter....with perfect blend of citrus and pine. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall.....yeah...its that good!

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Delicious and aromatic with nice floral and grassy flavors. Easy drinking yet complex. Would definitely order again!

4.71/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.69/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'll never seek Zombie Dust again after finding a new Amarillo and Citra Hopped APA that's practically half the price and not a pain to find. Awesome flavor profile on this one...juicy and crushable.

4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Brickstone APA from BrickStone Restaurant & Brewery