Monk In The Trunk | Inlet Brewing Co.

Monk In The TrunkMonk In The Trunk

Inlet Brewing Co.
Florida, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by bluegrassbrew on 09-02-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 58 | Ratings: 202
2.85/5  rDev -13.4%

This bottle had gone off.
But the fault was mine because I left it for a year at a friend's house in Florida.
So, I can't pan it.
But, I also cannot praise it.
Lesson: don't forget about beer !

2.74/5  rDev -16.7%

Thanks to dimenhetfield for this one!

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Shoulder stamped "Monk-138 BA" or "Monk - 138 8A" (can't tell if the second to last character is a B or 8).

Appearance: Pours an amber gold with tall creamy head that falls down rather quickly with some spotting.

Nose: Big Belgian yeast nose and some spicyness. Something a little acrid or off-putting. Maybe a weird interaction between yeast and malts/hops? I've smelled this before but am not certain what it means. Smells like there might be some rye in there and some faint whispers of heavily toasted oak chips.

Palate: Crisp and fruity. Some caramel and dark candi sugar chill out underneath the fruity Belgian yeast. That weird over-toasted oak chip flavor is there and something odd I just don't care for.

Notes: Worth my trying once, but don't think I'd return for another one.

2.7/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Special thanks to Pittsky who sent me this as an extra.

A: Hmmm... For an amber, the color is not very amber... more orange in nature actually. It is crystal clear in transparency and the head was about 2-3 fingers.

S: No floral notes or hoppiness of any kind. I smelled rusted metal and a bit of yeast. A bit of Belgian funk, but no fruitiness to balance it out.

T: The taste is a bit better, but not much. Thin-bodied with a very faint fruit (pear or apple?) and hop presence that tried its damnest to poke through the yeast and malt.

M: Very thin, not creamy in the slightest, and carbonation seemed (and looked) a bit on the flat side.

D: I decided to stick it out and finish the bottle, but I won't be getting this again.

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Tried a pint of this local brew in Rooney's in Abacoa, Jupiter. To be honest I wasn't too impressed.The beer had a slightly watery funky flavour to it. Visually it looked good; clear and with a thin head. There was no offputting smell but from the first mouthful something didn't click and I switched back to Bass.

2.56/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into a glass.

A - Looks like a nut brown ale. Not much of a head, but was poured, by the waitress, from the bottle into a glass.

S - Not much to it. Smells like a pilsner with more malt.

T - Tastes like it smells. Definitely does not taste like a red ale, but I've been spoiled by Cigar City's red (Tocobaga) for quite some time. Tastes like a pilsner with more malt and a strong nutty flavor.

M - Very, very light for a 5.5%. A very drinkable beer - not what I was expecting - in fact, I was hoping for something much heavier.

O - Worth a try, but I won't be having another.

Intersting note: Outsource brewed. Made by Inlet Brewing in Jupiter, FL, but brewed in NC...

1.69/5  rDev -48.6%

There was an overpowering fishy taste to the beer. I lost the Belgian-y esters and the malty notes I was hoping for. I remember catching the off-flavors on an earlier bottle I'd picked up, but nothing as strong as this. After three sips, it was a bottle dump. And that's rare for me.

1.65/5  rDev -49.8%

I must have gotten ahold of a bad batch. This poured absolutely flat and syrupy. It had no nose whatsoever--very weird. No head. There was a slight root beer taste, but I wasn't interested enough to finish it.

prior to purchasing we noticed this from the Inlet Brewery of Jupiter ,Fla . which actually not quite true it is actually brewed/bottled in North Carolina. ....read on I thought we were were going to rewarded with another Belgian style ale this resembles a poor Amstel light at it's best
poured into a Pint glass, medium carbonation,then settles quickly.lacings well..not much really
Amber color more like orange , hops noted but minimal and appears to be almost artificially carbonated .
Very poor and was dissappointed in smell ,taste,finish and an extremely high price for a six pack. They have some learning to do if they want to stay in business and call this a Belgian ale. see my review of Palm ales corp brewer crap

ale for dead parrots and budweiser fans,it's from a trunk alright,someone's swimtrunks
rubber bizkit swill from dead parrot's water bottle
this stuff is good for weed control and small rodents

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Monk In The Trunk from Inlet Brewing Co.