Earth Thirst Double IPA | Eel River Brewing Co.

Earth Thirst Double IPAEarth Thirst Double IPA
3.55/5
Earth Thirst Double IPAEarth Thirst Double IPA

Eel River Brewing Co.
eelriverbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 02-20-2011

3.21/5  rDev -9.6%

Finally feeling a bit back to normal. Think I can actually taste this brew tonight after a horrendous last few days...

The basics: $5.99/bomber and 8.2% ABV...

I have not had good luck with anything labeled as "organic" in the adult beverage World, so let's hope these guys change my mind...Their Triple Exultation was a disappointment (IMO) and also the Raven's Eye (again, IMO)...

Oh, and I need to mention I hate the freaking Philadelphia Flyers!! but not nearly as much as I hate Brett Hull and the Dallas Stars...

Good lookin' brew. A deep orange amber, nice carbonation. A fluffly head that leaves decent lacing. Good thus far!!

Aromas are atypical for a Lefty DIPA: more malt forward than I expected. Somewhat subdued all the way around - lacking in depth and complexity...

Flavor is a touch more bitter than the nose implies. Mouthfeel is where this really falls apart. It's really thin, particularly for a DIPA. I expected a fuller, richer brew, particularly given the malt forward aromas...Carbonation is nice in here as it helps to wash away the hop-bomb up front. Lots of hops in here, and they taste nice a "fresh"...A ton of grapefruit peel and pith, some caramel malt in the back. A bit par for the course, and not bad, but more body to this ale would help a lot. As it is it's a thin and hoppy ale. The ABV is completely masked in here, btw, so that's a plus...At this price point you can go Pliny and you're better off...

What I like most: The nice pour and "fresh" hops character...

What I like least: The light-bodied to thin mouthfeel.

Verdict: Probably the best ale I've had from Eel River, but needs some refinement...worth trying if you see it, but not worth seeking out.

3.21/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev -8.7%

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -8.2%

On tap at Tonys Darts Away in Burbank.

Pours a deep orange-amber with a thin off-white head. Halfway through the head is gone but good glass lacing remains on the tulip glass.

Virtually nothing in the aroma ecxept a slight caramel / malt. Largely disappointing.

I cannot say this is great but there is some grapefruit and pine from the hops and caramel from the malts. Bonus points here for being extremely well balanced from front to back.

The good balance leads to a nice, crisp, bitter mouthfeel from front to back with a good bite at the back.

Will I have this again? Probably. Will I ever seek it out? No. It is quite enjoyable but not at all memorable

3.33/5  rDev -6.2%

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle. The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the cotton candy, citrus and bread notes. I get a lot of sweetness in the aroma. The flavor is a mix of bitter pine and grass from the hops as well as some bready malt. I also get some floral notes and a tad bit of butter. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.34/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

I had this one on tap up at Hops & Pie, early last week. Poured a nice orange color with a medium sized white head. Aromas of citrus peel, pineapple and light malt. On the palate, this one was medium bodied, with flavors of grapefruit, earth and light malt.

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz bottle poured into a large mug

Pours slightly cloudy coppery orange color with a medium tan head. Smell is mild but crisp and floral. Taste is over-the-top hoppy, not enough maltiness to back it up. Lots of grapefruit rind bitterness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and pleasant. Overall, not a bad beer.

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Light golden color. Not as dark as I thought it would be, but good amber glow.

S - Nothing that stands out, but certainly decent in hops.

T - Run of the mill IPA taste. Not too bitter, but a bit lacking in flavor.

M - Not exactly a great after taste. Lingers in the mouth for a bit.

O - Pretty decent overall. Not the greatest, but certainly not the worst.

3.42/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type: 22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass. No code date on it, not that I could find, so I am not sure how fresh the beer is.

Appearance: Pours an orange color with a nice creamy head. Lots of tiny bubbles, some lacing on the glass.

Smell: For a double IPA I was expecting more hop aroma, but again I am not sure when the beer was brewed and bottled, some piney citrusy notes, I think this is faint for a double IPA.

Taste: I was also expecting more from the taste but it is smooth, hop flavors up front, then some bitterness. The bitterness is not up to par for a double IPA. I have other double IPAs with some bitterness that is noticeable up front. Nice malt on the backend of the palate, I am getting more of piney or earthy flavor than citrus notes on the hops. I don't notice a heavy alcohol taste. Good taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation, creamy head, not a lot of oily or resiny hop feel, it's smooth.

Overall: Falls short of what I think a double IPA is but it's drinkable and I would purchase this in a six pack if it were available. I paid $6.99 for a 22 ounce bomber. It's good. I have had other double IPAs that are superior to this but this is not bad.

3.46/5  rDev -2.5%

Bomber poured into Duvel tulip

Picked this up on whim at Whole Foods yesterday. It's my first experience with an organic brew.

Great color to this beer. A deep amber glow that is slightly see through. The head is almost non existent with just an off white crown that sticks around until the end.

Smell is very floral with hints of hops with a good swirl.

Taste is very piney with a very bitter, hoppy finish. Comes off a little tart. I wish there were more complexities to this beer. Not much to it. Pine and hops.

Extremely high carbonation level. Definitely the most carbonation in any DIPA that I've had. Very light feel to it and it goes down smooth. Highly drinkable.

My overall impression is a little underwhelmed. I'm all for simple beers but I feel this needs a little more added to it. I'm not sure if I'll search this one out again. Possibly a good beer to drink during a cookout. The 8.2% ABV is practically unnoticed.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Poured a deep orange color with good carbonation and a nioe white cap

S: Some booze, citrus, caramel

T: A bready and caramel malt, some Earthiness, citrus and mild bitterness

M: Medium body, good feel.

O: Pretty good, above average and drinkable

Earth Thirst Double IPA from Eel River Brewing Co.