Isotope PU240 | Auburn Alehouse Brewery & Restaurant

Added by Beerandraiderfan on 02-06-2010

3.7

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

2.76/5  rDev -25.4%

On tap at Bobby G's. Pours a darkish golden amber with a small white head that has pretty good retention and leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma is pine and dank hops, some caramel, and a bit of cracker. Not a ton going on. The taste follows the nose with pine and dank hops, caramel, and cracker. Taste is quite bitter throughout with a strong bitter lingering aftertaste. Not very pleasant. A bit of alcohol as well. Medium carbonation. Medium to full body. Overall not that enjoyable of a beer. I probably won't have it again. The bitterness definitely needs to be taken down a notch.

2.92/5  rDev -21.1%

Bottled (?): 09AUG12 – dunno if the date is botled on or best by….

Pours cloudy amber with a solid sheet of light apricot foam. Gobs of lace. Smells of tangerines, orange, grapefruit, biscuit malts, some bits of crystal malts. Flavor is sweet with a rounded bitterness and flavors of sweet toast and good amounts of fruity hops. Overall a little more malty than I’d prefer. A little full bodied if you ask me, subdued carb and a semi dry finish. Drinkable, wouldn’t seet out, for me it’s a little too hi ABV to want to sacrifice my face to it.

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

Ive had time in the past year to revisit this beer on cask/draft/bottles. I have to say it seems either the recipe or my palate has changed since I first tasted this and gave it an A.

A- Golden/burnt orange/ slight toffee color. Some hop haze, not real cloudy, but not super clear either. Carbonation is a hit and miss, In bottles in was too low, on draft it was fine. Decent...

S- I smell simcoe. Pine/Citrus. Smells like an IPA should, but nothing special or super aromatic like other DIPA's. Still smells very enjoyable though.

T/M- Good amount of bitterness, too much caramel malt, nice hop flavor. Kinda one dimensional compared to other DIPA's. Malt gets slightly muddled between hops, but not bad or overly sweet...

D- Very drinkable for 8%. I detect no alcohol or real off flavors.

All in all, this is a decent attempt for a DIPA. I swear the recipe changed since i first tried it a few years ago. Too much damn carmel/crystal malt. Malt becomes cloying. Seems to lack some real depth that some of my favorite DIPA's can deliver. I'd hate to compare this to other DIPA's so much, but what gets me is the price tag. $7 for a bomber at the brewery and ive seen it $10 at other beer stores. Are you kidding? I could pick up 2-3 hop stoopids or 2 green flash DIPA's for that price which are much more flavorful and aromatic. The bang for the buck is just not worth it comapred to other DIPA's on the market. It could be lost in the realm of beers Ive tried and have access to. Is it a good beer? Sure. Is it something I would seek out like other DIPA's or pay a pretty penny for? No. I usually enjoy it when im at the brewery once in awhile, it is AWESOME on cask. Really aromatic and bursting with hop flavor on cask. I'd pass on purchasing a bomber again though...

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Draft, The Bistro, DIPA Festival. Well, I hate to be a wet blanket, but I didn't much like this one. There was a very odd off note, almost a playdough or rubber taste. Otherwise, it seemed like a decent DIPA. Fairly good and hoppy nose with a lasting bitter aftertaste. I hope that I didn't get a pour from a dirty pitcher or something, but everything seemed alright. I'll make sure to retry this beer if I get the chance.

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

Brought back from a recent trip to California. No bottle dating means I have no idea how old this is. However I drank it shortly after buying.

Pours a nice golden color with tan head. Smells like a nice burst of hops with a bit of boozy hotness. Taste is real clean and I can taste hops but also way too much caramel flavor. No notice of the alcohol that was in the nose. Not enough hops to call it a DIPA in my opinion - and the malt is more noticeable in the taste. It's very drinkable but not the hop bomb I was hoping for.

3.41/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance - Pours a clear, brilliant copper orange with a thick 2 finger head, great retention, and a thick, sticky lacing.

Smell - Hop forward, citrus with tropical notes and a hint of pine.

Taste - A stupid amount of hop character, but very little malt backbone to fall behind. Greatly unbalanced. Lots of orange and grapefruit oil essence, and it lingers well into the aftertaste. The term 'hop bomb' has never felt more appropriate.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Despite the promising appearance, the carbonation is a tad low.

Overall - I like to take a nibble of grapefruit skin from time to time; I don't enjoy drinking it for 20 straight minutes. This one's got potential, but the lack of balance is it's downfall. It's like I can feel the acids eating away at my tongue, with no sweetness to soften the attack. What this beer fails to do, is what Lagunitas accomplished with Hop Stoopid; an insane amount of IBU's with the malt to back it up. This has a backbone, but it's no better than a 90 year old's - very little support.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Total overload of hops. Besides the Summit and Galena hops, label claims it is dry hopped with Simcoe, Columbus, and Nugget. Nice looking with the amber, orange, and golden glow. Not so much for head or lacing, but it's enough carbonation to improve drinkability. A little malty sweetness, but not enough to balance the IBUs.

Has some nice flavors for a while but it boils down to the grapefruit pith and nothing else. However, it there are some good hops in here, so it would be totally appropriate to flavor some anemic Amber Ale or better yet, a couple quarts of Colt 45.

01/30/2013 update: The call this PU240 Imperial Ale now and list the ABV at 8.0%. Not as totally bitter as I remember, and very rich with flavors and lots of malt.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

taste- bitter, sour, hop flavors, bitter chocolate in the finish

color- straw

clarity- clear

smell- bitter, sour, hop flavors, sulfer

body- oily on the top of the mouth, lean

appearance- nice, white carbonation with good lace retention

overall impression- a little too malty and sour tasting for me

notes and comments- wouldn't seek this out again

beer spy- double ipa festival, bistro, hayward ca, 2/12/11, 6 oz. glass