Southampton Cuvee Des Fleurs | Southampton Publick House

Southampton Publick House
New York, United States
publick.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

A Saison flavored with a blend of edible flowers including L. augustifolia, A. nobilis, C. officinalis, R. canina and H. lupulus.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-10-2004

3.92/5  rDev -3%

It didn't even wait for me to fully twist open the cage before throwing the cork and cage against my forehead. Luckily no eye injury but good pre-dinner theater none the less. It poured cloudy yellow with a volumous white head and non-stop carbonation. Smells like sweet honey with a spicy earthyness and citrus spritz. Honey is a big feature followed by the saison earthy, dirty raddish flavor and a citric upnote towards the end. Enjoyable, but I wish for less carbonation overall not a bad splitter or single person bottle.

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Spicy and mildly sweet honey-tinged floral aroma. Has a wheat beer look to it. Cloudy golden color with a huge biscuit head that compresses to cracker thickness as it settles.

Very complex flavors that cover every range from bitter, sweet, sour and tart. I have to say this is one of those beers I appreciate for the skill it takes to make it, but just don’t personally like. My wife, pragmatist that she is just plopped an orange in her share and pretended it was another wheat beer.

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%

I am sampling a chilled 750 bottle with Stopper. The beer pours hazy orangish gold color with a huge fluffy and marshmallowy bleached white head of 3 inches with gentle pour. As the head slowly recedes large craters develop. Several streams of bubbles rise to the surface recharging the head.
Aroma is yeasty biscuits and slightly funky with sweet floral notes mixed in. I also get just a bit of soft sweet spice hints.
The first sip reveals a lighter body than expected, almost describable as thin. The carbonation is very fine and tingly, the bubbles dominate the texture of the beer and are so intense that it hurts the drinkability some due to bloats and burps.
The flavor is similar to the nose with sweet fruit, general berries, white grape and oranges predominantly, sweet orange flavor no rindy hops. I also think some coriander mixes in. The beer finishes rather dry with just a bit of sweet fruitiness lingering on my palate. AN interesting beer, but I could not drink a full 750 due to too much CO2.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

This one pours an orange color with a tall head that sticks around and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of citrus and mustiness along with some hops. Smells very nice and spicy. The flavor is very spicy and citric along with some malt coming through in the background. Very solid saison right here. The spices make things flow just right. The body is moderate and the drinkability is very good.

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%

750 ml pours excessively heady, overflowing my glass even with 2 fingers of head space left. The beer is a solid peachy orange color with a massive head that is maintained by a massive cascade of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. Very good looking brew. Nose on this one has been teasing me since I opened the bottle. There are huge floral notes over a solid gingery base with hints barnyardy mustyness and a zingy lemony citrus to light tart/sour. Complexity is the name of this beer. Maybe even some chamomile in there as well. Damn the nose is great. Flavor is solid on with the nose. Very floral and spicey upfront with the mustyness hitting second. Second sip gives me a bit more of the chamomile note initially, with moderate ginger and an almost soapy floral component. The lemony zestyness comes in right after swallowing the brew, fading again to a barnyardy mustyness. Not as nice as the aroma, but still nice. Feel is moderate with a very active carbonation of fine bubbles. It dances very nicely on the tongue. Overall, this is a solid beer. Its not something to sit and put away quickly because the complexity on this so big and makes me want to savor it more. This is definately a brew I would have again, and I'm glad this is my second bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +23%

To quote my wife, "Holy fuckballs!" Sampled and shared via 750 mL bottle brought back from my last trip to Poughkeepsie and Half Time

Appearance: Pours a hazy, bright golden straw color with a froathy, white head. The head was huge and even with careful pouring, quickly and near completely spilled over the top of the Duvel Tulip we were using to sample this masterpiece. The rambunctious head is the only detractor to this beer.

Smell: Wow! An amazingly complex marriage of flower, spice, and yeast aromas. Hints of marigold, euclyptus, white pepper (maybe grains of paradise), clover, heather, belgian yeast, straw, and farm house funk. The smell begged to be sampled and screamed to be paired with food.

Taste: Spicy, funky, slightly sweet. Heaven! As amazingly complex as any Saison, with slightly more pepper spice. The flowers give a level of complexity to the flavor that is hard to describe but wonderful to enjoy. A perfect pairing with a meal. After the inital sampling we enjoyed it with our dinner of Panseared chicken in a jalapeno, lime cream sauce with sauted squash along side bulgar wheat & wild rice. A good dinner, made wonderful by this amazing beer. The spice and lime seemed to marry with the yeast and flower flavors, it also really brought out the white pepper as that enhanced the flavor of the food.

Mouthfeel: Light, bubbly, eppervecent with a slight creaminess that finishes very clean, with hints of spice lingering on your tongue and begging for more.

Drinkability: If I had this locally I would drink it 3-4 times a week and this would be my food pairing beer. My wife and I split a 750 mL and the only reason it lasted as long as it did, was because we knew there was no more and we wanted to savor every drop. Simply amazing.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

2005 vintage, enjoyed in January 2006. Like other reviewers experienced, the head was enormous--small, individual bubbles that foamed up into cotton candy. It took forever to settle, actually getting bigger for about five minutes before starting to die down, and the wait was hard because the wonderful floral/citrus/fruit smell was teasing me, but oh was it worth it.

The tastes are crisp, prominent, and well-defined, but all blend nicely together and no taste comes on too strong. What tastes, you ask? Citrus. Some sweet and tart fruits. There's even a slight bready quality that reminded me of Pilsner malt.

The mouthfeel is a little champagne-like, with a tinge of creaminess. (You'll get even more creaminess if you don't wait for the head to dissapate a little.)

(One of many wonderful beers bought from Union Jack's Inn On The Manatawny.)

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%

2005 bottle vintage, Sampled January 2006
This is an absolutely ridiculously carbonated beer. I poured three tulip glasses of beer full to the brim and I was only able to pour about a 1/3rd of the bottle. The little tiny bit of beer at the bottom of my tulip is brilliantly clear, and an orangish-copper color. The head, as expected is voluminous, and slowly recedes in a frothy, collapsed rocky surface. The aroma is quite intriguing. It is much more noticeably than I was expecting; it is immediately noticeable as I am pouring the beer. It smells quite sweet and honey-like, but definitely a floral honey. As I go in for a deeper draught of the aroma, I get a slight astringent note that one would typically associate with wild flowers, but is also quite a typical characteristic of Belgian yeast. The aroma has notes that remind me of all sorts of things; I get notes of sweet-ginger, pepper, a spicy note that is similar to the fruity spicy note in a Habanero chile. Holy mackerel, the aroma is just absolutely fantastic, I can't even describe everything that is going on, it is just awesome and needs to be experienced. I suppose I should get around to taking a sip of this heavenly aromatic brew.

The taste is quite sweet up front, in fact it is also devoid of carbonation; it was so explosively carbonated at first that almost all of the carbonation has disappeared. The description of honey is definitely an apt one for the taste as well. This sweetness is balanced by an astringent, sharp, bitter, almost weedy note that is much more appealing than I have described. The note definitely takes the place of hop-bitterness, but is quite a bit different. The astringent, bitter note lingers for quite some time in the mouth after the beer is gone. This in many ways reminds me of a Chinese dessert consisting of an unrefined-sugar sweetened, ginger infused water that is used to flavor a super soft, silken tofu; it is quite good. There is something of a green vegetal character here; almost like a red/yellow bell pepper, but better.

I am really enjoying this beer. If I had to complain I would say that this could really use some carbonation to it; the initial over-carbonation robbed this beer of any residual carbonation. Perhaps my next pour will have a bit more CO2. Ah yes, my second pour from the bottle is quite well carbonated, in fact almost a bit overly so. This high level of carbonation actually cuts the sweetness a bit, which is actually good. This beer is just getting better; the second pour is a bit more yeasty as well, which adds a grounded earthy note, as well as the typically bready-yeasty note. The carbonation also accentuates a sharp, spicy note that almost has some heat to it.

This beer is incredibly interesting, and quite tasty. I highly recommend this beer if you can get some, and if you can't try harder because it is worth it. I really like how the various floral components balance in this beer; the honey sweet character is well balanced by the harder floral notes. This beer is certainly all about the flowers though: the yeast and malt character serve to perfectly accentuate the floral flavors. The malt helps to convey the honey-sweet nectar notes and the yeast helps to accentuate the spicy floral characteristics.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

A hazey golden yellow beer. Has a big foamy white head and very good lace. A very distinct aroma of flowers dominates the aroma with a light malt hint in the background. A prickly carbonation starts the ball rolling with floral and herbal notes dancing across your tongue. There is a hint of malt in the flavor just before a nice dry finish.
Note: there are aspects of this beer that reminds me of the Belgian beer Deus.

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Dark green champagne bottle gold caged & corked quite beautifully with a rather subtle label. The top indicates "2005." Label info: Blend of edible flowers including L. augustifola, A. nobilis, C. officinalis, R. canina, and of course H. lupulus.

A quick twist of that cork and the air is filled with aromas before I can even cler the gunsmoke emanating from the bottle.

A pour of a life time into a tulip glass that grows into a gorgeous mountain of off white head cap airy yet solid in prescence flowing above the rim with a pour dent in the cap. Just pouring this is precision surgery . Finally after several minutes a some more settled cap allows for a fill that is half beer and half cap.Inside the glass, a pure golden honey hue loaded with bubble beading rising to the surface. The head cap actually performed a trick when it settled leaving a donut shaped head cap on top of more whipped meringue dollop head cap. Don't make me describe the Brussels lace.

Aromatic herbal spicey cloves initially rises. Slight yet complex aromas pervade each whiff. Hop aroma slips out with the bright wild flower-esque scents with a twinge of pepper.

First swigs: An escape into nature greets the tongue. Slightly barn yard musty, honeyish, with a blend of detactable rose petal or clover or lavender. Wild is all that suffices. Herbal and Earthy with plenty of mineral aspects to create a complex sipper. Finish is dry and dusty with a slight linger of honey and Earthiness.

Feel has a sharp sizzle, some oily resinous prescence and a delicate restained medium body. To say "champagne like" would sell this gem short. Just an airy clean frothy foamer.

Last swigs: A lucious deep super saison. I mixed this with a dill havarti. I hope Garrett Oliver is proud. What a stunning drink. Reminds me of nothing. In a class by itself. Maybe Heavyweight Juhlia. The latin flowers translate into: lavender, chrysthanthemom, marigold and rose.

4.34/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to Malto for this beer

Thank goodness for the Duvel glasses that dealt with the huge amount of head on this beer. The first thing you notice is the huge floral, spicy nose that positively wafts from the goblet. The colour is winter sunset orange with a hazy frame. Lots of saison citrus and fruit in the taste but tempered with a ginger beer like spiciness. The floral aspect was present especially in the finish which was delicate and a times temporal. I drank this in a company of winter warmers and stouts which made this beer seem like springtime in a glass; bright, warm and full of hidden delights.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Yep, split this between the two of us when we should have had one each.
Nice crisp clear golden color with high rocky head. That's the head I like to see in this style.
Very prevelant spicing of cardamom and coriander and flowery too - although suggestion may play a stronger role than true taste.
As GrassRoots pointed out a very good beer with no finish - may need time and I'd be willing to give it that. Much more enjoyable than Southampton's traditional saison. I would certainly give this another try.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Shared with NoLiberty last night. Was afraid that the cork wouldn't make it out of the bottle [appears oversized, doesn't it?]. Pours a traditional and expected rocky head - amazing retention and lacing - an enchanting golden hue. A prevalent aroma of spices, cardamom, coriander, flowery, and champagne like.
This one tastes much better to me than markowski's regular saison. a better beer, overall, but lacking a finish [no doubt from the use of the flowers]. A winey aftertaste [a little chalky?] with a bundle of subtle complexity [seems paradoxical, doesn't it?] could it use a bit more time to mellow? it has a nice finish, champagne like, with a proper white wine note. expected mouthfeel with trailing carbonation...where can i find this again???
A proper beverage, if there was one. had i had another bottle...
hell yeah.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a cognac glass at UJ's.

With a very slow pour it showed a beautiful clear tangerine/gold with a huge 3 finger head of very tight foam. Looks highly effervescent, and there was great lacing on the glass. This beer is something to behold!

Aroma is like nothing I ever smelled in a beer. Flowers for real, but not overpowering in any way. Smells a wee sour, with notes of citrus, coriander, cloves, pepper, lavender, and other flowers I can't identify. Has that "Belgiany" smell, also. Can't wait!

Flavor is this wonderful wash of flowers and spices, tart, dry, citrusy and delicious. There's some hop bitterness there, and some phenolics. Such a great complexity of flavors, it's hard to describe them. These flavors last through the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is highly effervescent prickiness, clean, dry, sharp and crisp.

A truly fantastic Saison. This guy is a Belgian genius. It has everything you would want in a saison: tart, spicy, dry, prickly, Belgiany, and complex as hell. Very highly recommended.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a light and fruity aroma that boasts of yeast esters and pale malts; very nice. It has a spicey feel along with some floral aromatics. The taste is good. It starts out with pale malts and fruitiness. There are yeast hints as well as floral tastes. It goes down easy and finishes dry with an earthy aftertaste. It has some sourness to it. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a damn good beer. These guys keep putting out exceptional beers. This is no different.

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

This beer reminded me a lot of grapefruit juice in a lot of ways. Its appearance resembled it in color, exactly. Had a little head. Smell is very citrusy, fruit juicy- a bit earthy, but mostly citrus notes.

Taste was sour, a bit of honey flavors to be found. Taste seems to go in stages... it's floraly and okay at first, and then becomes progressively worse- more and more sour, and a really icky aftertaste, like old garbage. Mouthfeel is okay- nothing special though. Drinkability? Not so much. I don't see myself searching this one out again- just too much sour garbageyness.

3.37/5  rDev -16.6%

From a 750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a goblet.
Looks a lot like grapefuit juice. Not a whole lotta head, a dense, hazy, yellow/orange color.
Smells very fruity and floral... which makes sense seeing as how this is made with edible flowers. Enjoyabley fragrant.
Unfortunately for me, this tasted too much like grapefruit juice. It struck me as a sour fruit juice with a kick. Quite a bit of citrus zest. This is pretty tangy, which I usually enjoy from a brew but I didn't enjoy it here.
Those that enjoy tripels as a beer style may like this one.
I didn't particularly enjoy this one.
I will say that this way more enjoyable when paired with some spicy chinese food. It has enough backbone to stand up to stronger flavors.
Still, I won't be going to great lengths to find this one again.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to fellow BA Malto for the bottle! We finally cracked her open. Dense cloudy goldenrod in my glass, the frothy white head has died down to just a thin film in the glass. Some small particulates lie at the bottom of my glass. Aromawise, there's some sweetness, but also some pungent spicieness. Yeasty, but maybe some mustard seed/pepper or similar in there. Tastewise, extremly smooth, what alcohol(?) ;-) this is almost a session beer. I pick up some yeastiness, maybe even some wheatiness. Some floral hop finish. Very enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Corked 750ml bottle. Appears a clear bubbly straw yellow with a tall fluffy white head. Decent lacing and head retention were observed. Aroma is fruity with both sweet and tart fruit scents. Some apples, pears and a bit of funkiness. Notes of yeast and pretty strong floral notes that were not hop related. Some fruit was upfront on the taste that was a bit tart. Doughy malt provided a nice backbone as did a slight sweetness. Earthy/floral tones in this as well. Ends with a bit of funky tartness. Very clean crisp mouthfeel with a lively carbonation. Easy drinking and refreshing I went through this bottle faster than I expected to. Very tasty stuff that was quite impressive, which I have come to expect from Southampton’s products. Thanks for another great one Steve!

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

I kept thinking this one was dark. Dark dark dark. The bottle is a brown 750 cork and caged, so maybe it was just looking at the dark bottle for what seemed like forever in the fridge. Acquired last summer at Shoreline and forgotten about in the fridge until this recent Saison binge.

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a hint of orange. Hardly any head, which is strange, because last night's vielle provision had a huge rocky head that just sat in the glass, minding its own business. The nose is fruity, with some bubblegum coming through. Taste is heaven with initial earthy spiciness, leading to oranges, slight peaches, and that bubbleyum belgian candi taste, but with the bubble YUM more pronounced. Is that coriander in there? Nevertheless, heavenly. Cleans the palate and clears it for the taste. Finishes grassy on the tongue. Bitter, but without being sharp. round and nice kind of like how food leaves a lingering aftertaste. Mouthfeel is perfect, slight carbonation on the tongue and the back of the throat until swallowed. No one is going to make this a session beer, but after one or two of these bottles, one would go to bed happy and satisfied. Another superlative offer from Phil "I wrote the book on Saison" Markowski.

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%

what's the fuss here? After having the spring dandelion from Brasserie Fantome, and several other saisons, I was disapointed in comparison. The taste was toned down, just above watered down. Purchased fresh at Beers of the World less than 3 months ago, so no aging situation. This brewery uses aggressive carbonation, again demonstrated here. And that's all it was.

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%

A breathtakingly ponderous drink, this Cuvee des Fleurs pours to a butternut orange topped with a frothy white head that swells to agrandize itself with only one or two quick swirls of the glass, eventually settling to a more temperate collar of bubbles.

Fresh flowers, orange, banana, cloves, and a smooth oaky vanilla admix themselves into a vibrant, glorious, majestic aroma. And I swear to you that a short, casual whiff reveals dill and cilantro mayo or some sort of herbal face cream. Astonishingly complex.

Lightly syrupy and not terribly lively on the tongue, there's a constant reminder of flowers with dried lavender and cinnamon-orange peel aggressively challenging the palate. Notes of sage and twigs lend a slightly raw feel. A light hop bitterness rounds it out, but the spiciness lingers.

I am humbled in its presence.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

750ml corked. Cloudy and bright golden honey color with a sizable white head that settles to a thin layer of film covering the top. Nice mouthfeel, airy and light. Really floats in your mouth with a carbonation similar to a Tripel maybe a bit softer. Spicy, floral and Belgian like aroma. Some vinous notes. Really complex. Flavor has interesting sweet floral spicy finish. Again vinous in flavor as well. Lacking the barnyard flavors of other Saisons I like but this one is a winner. Thanks Em

3.31/5  rDev -18.1%

First off, that cork was a bitch! It damn near took all my strength to open this bottle. The pour is a very elegant golden bronze color with a somewhat foamy medium sized egg white head. Sparse amounts of bubbles go to the top. Smell is yeasty and floral, about what I'd expected but they are a little weak. Taste is really hard for me to pin down. Starts out almost tarty but I'll just say bitter with hops and flowers, lots of odd estery flavors. It's really a hard hit initially to my palate. A grainy, yeasty flavor helps sweeten up the rather thick for its style beer. Underneath there seems to be white grape tannins. Finish is yeasty with some fruity complements and lingers to the point of almost being annoying. This was one different tasting saison, not bad, but not my style either.

Still, lots of thanks to FeloniusPhil for such a great all around trade!

What a long champagne cork! Finally it ends in a curl of gunsmoke and a brief whiff of berry pie and peach pie. Hazy honey gold liquid is topped by a steamed-milk field of tan. The cells vary in size from a few microns to a millimeter. It looks like a galaxy forming out of yeast. Stamina can be observed in the steady, pillar-shaped migration of gas upward. More nose, more deeply inhaled, and I sense sharply doughy, yeasty impressions. And still, the pretty floral, fruit and pastry notes are dominant: ripe banana, nectarine, peach, butter, freshly milled spring wheat, vanilla, tangerine and whole clotted cream.
On the toungue it's velvety and bitter. The finish rises from the back palate, excited by the eruption of body-heated alcohol, to release an incense of bitter almonds, cakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, other astringent spices, tobacco, chalk and preserved fruits. This is an extraordinarily creamy, integrated sequence of flavors. The acidity is entirely in the background; it drives the subtle fruit, but leaves the structural duties to bitter botanical extracts.

What a privilege to drink this. Thanks to jenn...(etc.) for her generosity.

Southampton Cuvee Des Fleurs from Southampton Publick House