Saison Deluxe | Southampton Publick House

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerBeing on 09-23-2006

Reviews: 229 | Ratings: 353
2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

Appearance: A hazy straw color with an enormous frothy head that lasts and lasts. I can't really imagine a better-looking saison.

Smell: Sweet, fruity and yeasty. Lots of estery goodness here; banana, peach and a bit of lemon. Pretty nice but sweeter than I like for the style.

Taste & mouthfeel: Full of fruit and spice, and decidedly sweet for the style. Banana, peach, coriander and clove come to mind. The finish contains a bit of zesty citrus flavor and a moderate dryness, though the sweetness still prevails in the end. Not much funkiness here to speak of, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, though it is something I appreciate in a saison. A few ounces in this one becomes extremely cloying and difficult to drink. Not impressive.

Notes: Southampton is a brewery that consistently makes me think, "meh, this is pretty good" and this beer is no exception. They seem to brew most styles uncharacteristically sweet, which is something I'm not too crazy about.

2.81/5  rDev -32.5%

Appearance: Hazy / cloudy yellowish base color with hazy orange and gold with a white head.

Smell: Straw/Hay with a peppery alcoholic over notes.

Taste: Straw and B

Mouthfeel: To me I would consider thus light bodied beer with low carbonation after pour. Drinks easy, sort of an off the wall taste that caught me well off guard.

Overall: Definitely complex and for a farmhouse saison. Did not expect it to taste anything like it did. Of all the saisons I've had this would be something I would not really care to try again.

3.12/5  rDev -25%

Bottle. Pours a golden straw color with a bigger head than I would have expected. Very fluff white head. Strong aroma of belgian yeast and floral notes. Slight alcohol notes in the nose. Lots of lace with a lot of carbonation. Pretty smooth well balanced taste of belgian yeast flavors with some floral type tastes. Not bad but the abundance of carbonation really kills it for me.

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Meh. If this were labeled a strong "Belgian Pale Ale," it might have made it to A territory with me. If that's what it was supposed to be, it would be an excellent example.

But it claims to be a saison, and it misses that mark by a wide margin. Saisons should be earthy and a bit funky. Farmhouse ales, people. Crazy ingredient and uncontrolled fermentation conditions in farmhouses along the Belgian/French countryside.

This is clean (by Belgian standards) and straightforward. Not at all what I want from a saison.

Also, crazy overcarbonated, which really dings mouthfeel and drinkability. Yes, the style should have high carbonation. But if you can't gently pour an inch of beer down a tilted glass without getting five inches of head, something's amiss. Makes it a pain in the ass to deal with.

I'd rather have a Duvel.

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Considering the reviews, I was expecting this to be a great beer, but I was disappointed. Pours a nice hazed blonde color, with an impressive pillowy white head, long lasting. The nose is sharp, spicy, yeasty. The flavor is the real let-down. This beer has a sugary sweetness, an alcohol heat and way too much spice, coriander and clove. Basically, this beer has none of the elegance that I would hope for in a saison. The body is on the full side for this to be as refreshing as the label promised, despite very strong carbonation. Overall, an overly flamboyant beer, and given the spicing of this, I'm not too interested in trying their other two offerings available in my local store: Double White Ale and Grand Cru "spiced ale."

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

A - Opaque golden color with a big, white head that left behind a little bit of lace.

S - Smells sweet, with some lemon and a little bit of apple in there. Grass and earth tones are present as well.

T - The beer tastes a bit oxidized, and it is too tart for my liking for this style. It's not as sour as I was expecting, but still sour. A little bit of spice, with yeast rounding out the taste.

M - Overly carbonated, lighter side of medium.

O - Some interesting things going on, but not my favorite. Worth trying, may appeal to some.

3.36/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Smells and looks like a saison. Barnyard aroma is there, as if by custom. Significant head on lighter colour body. The surprise is the hoppiness moderated by fainter spice. Tasted closer to an ESB. And so not so true to style. A bit acidic in finish needed food as an antitode.
An entirely different saison than the regular saison, according to my notes.

3.36/5  rDev -19.2%

Looks playful elegant resting in an oversized wine glass. The head makes a brief appearance then disappears. Smells like paper plate and a hint of bitter peel. The carbonation is sharp, and I feel as if a wall of resistance comes with every sip, as if the ale was purposefully avoiding sliding into my deep, dark belly. Stale orange peel floats within a boozey, hard to ignore prison wine. High pitch bitter notes clash around noisily. Not an enjoyable experience. Not a Saison experience.

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

A-golden with a nice white head

S-smells earthy and muddy. Lemon grass, fairly aged. Slightly sour. Medium to good strength.

T-comes in with a weak but slightly bitter taste of raw pale Belgians malts. It's an odd mix. Not of high quality and it's not well balanced.

M-low carbonation with a wet finish

O-This is a pretty a poor Saison. It tastes almost yucky. I think they attempted to make it a good tart Saison, but it just fell apart.

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%

A - huge soapy head covering a nice golden hazy pour

S - very sweet floral with some citrus popping in. Maybe a hint of funk in the background but nearly what I would expect from this style.

T - the sweetness in the smell does not translate into the taste. this is a rather bitter beer with sour fruits.

M - nice carbonation and the taste quickly spreads over my palette. this is a good refreshing brew

D - while the mouthfeel is very refreshing, perhaps because I'm new to this style, I would call this a sipper.

I can only compare this to the Victory Helios being that's the only other farmhouse I've had before but I would definitely give my nod to the helios. I felt it was funkier and a bit more citrusy in taste

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer had a head that was huge and rocky and took forever to die down. Smell is very yeasty and estery. The taste is sweet, then drying and medicinal with some citrus and pepper. Hmm, not bad and the aspirin flavor is less detectable as it warms up. I'm not sure why this is a top 100 beer however.

3.62/5  rDev -13%

Poured from a 750ml caged bottle, immediately hit with the citrus-y, yeast aroma expected from a saison. As others have mentioned, pours with a good amount of thin head (dissipates quickly with some minimal lacing), and a cloudy, golden color.

Immediate taste is lemony and refreshing, very similar to the aroma. Lingering taste is sweet, with a pronounced alcoholic bite. Especially for a saison, it finishes pretty harsh. Impacts drinkabilty a fair amount. Maybe that's the "Deluxe" part...

Overall, a good beer. I was influenced by liking other offerings from the brewery, specifically the Double White and the Biere de Mars (which I think are better efforts on the whole). Would like to try this again after storing in a closet for at least 6 months to see if it improved over time.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Huge thanks to t8000shx for this extra. Bottle split into tulips.

A: Cloudy golden yellow hue. Huge two fingers of white head nearly escape the glass. Thick sticky lace is left behind.

S: Full on Belgian yeast. Loads of Belgian influenced spices. Coriander, clove and anise. A good amount of citrus fruit, wet hop cones and some modest barn yard funk. This is a potent saison for sure.

T: The flavors are bit more on the bitter side than I'm used to in my saisons. The Belgian yeast is strong as is the spice profile. However this is over shadowed by a full on hoppy bitterness. It sort of takes away from the flavor profile. The hops settle down as it warms bit is still has a rather acrid finish.

M: Medium body with a strong carbonation level. Super dry finish.

O: Well it was interesting for sure. Not sure if they were going for a bitter hop profile or not. Might have to revisit this one someday to compare.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours an orange-tinged yellow colour with voluminous beige head, sinking slowly but steadily, forming fairly sparse bubbling around the glass, and not leaving a lot of lace. Specks here and there but little more. Nice haze in the body with some floaties. Looks alright.

Nose is fairly pungent. A fair sour character with some fresh fruit and some notes of soil, lemon zest, some egg character even, like notes of cake batter. Kind of savoury, with sourness around the edge. Doesn't really wow me, but it does intrigue me. It's simple but enigmatic, and smells fairly refreshing.

Taste is really very sweet for the most part. Lots of cakey malt on there, plus some spicy notes of nutmeg and white pepper. A fair amount of fruit, I'd say orange juice and zest primary amongst them, with a nice tang peak on the mid-palate leading into a finish which has a nice hint of alcohol and some woody hints, pine resin and some herbs, like parsley and rosemary, and God, I don't know, the flavours here are quite unusual. There's a lot of complexity but no flavours really leap out. I guess orange is predominant, with some spice and maybe Benedictine liqueur. Probably the most liqueury beer I've had, quite heavy on the finish. Basically it's an interesting one but doesn't have a classic saison profile, it's too heavy, a little too sweet and not nearly enough funk. Maybe more accessible but I don't really care that much for it.

Fairly thick feel, with a nice foamy texture, a distinct alcohol warmth throughout, well-suited to the flavour but again not what I'd really expect from a saison.

The more I drink, the more I like this, but the alcohol is quite prominent for just 7.4%. I hate to repeat myself, but it just doesn't wow me as a saison. I hate to repeat myself, but it just doesn't wow me as a saison.

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Picked this up in Boston and split the bottle with my Dad. I will get him into better beer.

Poured a hazy mandarin orange in color.Incredible carbonation overflowed the glass. Head eventually receded but never dissapeared. Wet lacy that ever-so-slowly sid down the inside of the glass. Nose is malty and full of various spices.

spices came out at first. Cinnamon, nutmeg and something a bit more exotic. Reminds me of these traditional Italian spices my Mom gave me and my wife for our wedding so we would have a happy home. I think they are called anise. Shaped like stars. Malts are very sweet and even have a slight wehat flavor and even wheat texture to the feel. Some hints of citrus too from the yeast. Mouthfeel is odd. It is as if it has been strained. Kind of a metallic tang too. Very easy drinking saison. I think this would be a great example of the style to try and convert someone to saisons.

3.66/5  rDev -12%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into an oversized wine glass. No date on the bottle but I have cellared this over one year. After I popped the cork, this one started to develop a head inside the bottle. The white fizzy, sizzling head persisted. There was a very effervescent bead. The body was a rich, golden bright color.

Smell was earthy and citric. The Bordeaux glass really helped the aroma blossom. There was a dusty character to the smell. Alcohol became slightly present as it warmed.

Taste was of Belgian yeast and candied fruit. Minerally, like sucking on a rock. Characteristics like a Tripel. Tangy finish with grassy bitterness. Interesting and multifaceted.

Mouthfeel was very tingly. Medium/light in body.

3.67/5  rDev -11.8%

A 750 mL C&C bottle.

A: The ale is a hazy dark yellow color, closer to goldenrod. The head is a cm or so thick and leaves a thin blanket on top of the glass.

S: The aroma is a heavy, ramped up coriander, honey and subtle tartness.

T: The most significant change in this beer from the regular saison is an increased tartness. The flavor is a concentrated lemony flavor that seems to turn peppery as it fades away. There is a light honey flavor that hits up front on the tongue but it is soon overtaken by the tartness.

M: The mouthfeel takes a decent saison and pushes it far, almost too far. The increased peppery finish is a change of pace that I do like.

D: The drinkability is, like most saisons I've encountered, good. The mixture of spices, sweetness and tartness makes for an appealing beverage. The ale is way too hot right now and needs several years to age out.

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

It literally took me about 5 minutes to get the cork out of this bottle. Maybe I was being too tentative in opening it, but I didn't want to lose a drop should it explode everywhere. After that five minutes, it poured a cloudy amber with a very large white and soapy head.

It smells very sweet, almost candied with the malts. There's a bit of lemon and earthy spice in there as well.

The taste is comparable in sweetness with the smell. It's got caramel notes, and is certainly much more malty than I was expecting. It's fruity as well, and the Belgian yeast adds a nice flavor.

It's medium-bodied and a bit sticky, though the carbonation is bright and prickly. Easy to drink, just short of refreshing.

3.71/5  rDev -10.8%

What am I missing here? This doesn't seem like an outstanding saison to me. I don't want to disparage it too much, it's a fine, fine saison. But the level of competition for saisons is high and this is just not that special.

The funk and flavor profile was a bit low, and seemed to draw more similarities with a strong Belgian pale ale like Duvel than the great saisons of Dupont or Fantome. The malt is a bit sweet, like candi sugar was used (though it may not have been), then there's a mellow Saaz-like hop bite tagged with a slight barnyard taste. Thoroughly smooth and drinkable, but there are better saisons for your money.

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

I had a small tasting with a friend of four saisons: Southampton Saison Deluxe, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere, The Bruery Saison De Lente, and Saison Dupont.

A: Slightly darker orange than most saisons, but had an AMAZING head. It was nearly impossible to pour the beer without creating a massive head on it, but it slowly receded to 2 fingers in size. It left superb lacing.

S: Lemon, clove, sweet & bready malts, and some booze.

T: Surprisinly malty taste with some yeasty spice to it.

M: Pretty thick for a saison.

D: Drinkability suffers a little bit because of the fact that I like my saisons to be light, crisp and refreshing. Saison Deluxe's mouthfeel was just a little too thick and the ABV was a little too high.

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber with a golden hue. There is a half finger of fluffy off white head that fades to a small layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Light, sweet, and a bit fruity. I'm getting some grape notes, maybe even some white wine. A bit sweeter than I would have hoped.

Taste: A lot sweeter than I would have wanted. The malt and yeast profiles remind me of a tripel. I am getting lots of fruit notes, mainly grape. There is a hint of tartness along with a mild herbal note. The finish is sweet and light.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Not nearly delicate enough if you ask me. I enjoyed the beer, but I wouldn't call it a great saison.

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a cloudy dark orange golden colour, with a maassively crackly and frothy head of white foam. It's like great chunky clouds rising in sculpted pinnacles in the glass. Lacing is really excellent, and sits on the edges of the glass in clumps of beautiful webbing. Some sediment in the body but otherwise looks really nice. Really wild, hearty and boisterous.

Huge funky notes on the nose - lilts of green apple, blue-veined cheese, and odd herbal notes of basil and capsicum. Some musty cellar characters as well. It's really nice - a suitable funk like some of the best Belgian examples - minimal acidity, but good barnyard. In fact, it's a rather different sort of aroma to what you usually get in a Saison, but I like the uniqueness.

Taste is clear, but a little too phenolic. Sharp notes of acetone come through the centre of the palate, which is otherwise quite round and smooth. Again, little acidity, and the funkiness besides the musty phenols in quite absent. Marzipan. Finish is quite round - a little acidity would have finessed the whole into something greater. Mouthfeel is very crisp and enjoyable.

I'm afraid I didn't like this as much as I feel I should have. I fear the slightly higher ABV may have harmed it - a saison feels like it should be a lighter style, not something that needs to be upped. Not bad, but I've had far, far better Saisons.

3.74/5  rDev -10.1%

Hazey, deep sunshine color with a hint of copper tinting.Thin head after a generous pour. No residual head or foam.

Delicate interplay of sweet aromas from teh malt and yeast. Light Summer fruit and toasted carckers with a hint of grass and a little lemon zest.

Yeasty, a little zesty, with a delicate syrupy mouthfeel. Lemon peel sprinkled on toasted crackers and light, white bread crust, with some strawberries and green apples. A good Spring and Summer sipper to be enjoyed while admiring your garden.

3.77/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I must've gotten a bad bottle because mine had basically zero carbonation. Everyone else says theirs was highly carbonated. Not sure if it is the age, but it shouldn't lose carbonation after only a year in the bottle.

3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Tasted from 750ml bottle at Lush Roscoe. Pours cloudy pale yellow with a monster rocky white head. Nose of candy malt, light hops, yeast, and white flowers. The nose on this beer is super intense. The flavors are all hops and yeast (in a good way) with some candy and good bitterness. This is by far the most intense saison I have ever had. The body is fairly full with very lively carbonation and a long bitter hops finish.

Saison Deluxe from Southampton Publick House