Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Saison Deluxe | Southampton Publick House

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by BeerBeing on 09-23-2006

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

I must confess I have a soft spot for phil's belgian offerings.. especially the saison 2005 (killer)... so I am expecting something awesome.. let's see if this delivers. this is brewed in Royersford, PA unlike last year's saison.

eyes....
huge pilllowy and soapy head, it looks as if it is gurgling in the glass, it settles down at a good pace leaving lace along the face of the glass, carbonation is screaming off the Duvel ethching like old faithfull, hazy golden hue with a wink towards orange, the head retention is excellent. A great looking brew.

nose...
spring flowers with lots of spice, pepper and coriander compliment the fruity subtle tones, slight musty funk odor melds with a metallic tone, I suppose if rust had an odor it might be like this... except covered in honey, throw ina tinge of citrus and you have this one. I prefer the odor of the 2005 Saison personally but this is good.

taste etc...
the carbonation belly dances across the tongue enticing your taste buds to attention, preparing them for the wonderfull liquid about to settle down around them. light and easy to drink, it has all the usual saison notes and like the 2005 saison really finishes nice and dry making you yearn for another sip. Spicier than most saisons but the aftertaste smooths it out. So you get a peppery attack of like say a belgian white but then it melts away into a sweet light honey dough flavor. This is a pretty aggressive saison and it works.

verdict?
great beer, a must try for saison fans, yet another fine brew from Southampton. if this beer was a woman it would be Salma Hayek, I won't get into the specifics on that...

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Purchased @ New Beer in NYC, $ 8.95. Belgian style bomber, caged and corked, freshness indication not to be found. A healthy yeast cake rests on the bottom of the bottle. Opens with a loud and forceful POP of the cork, carbonation seems near explosive. Pours initially with a wildly growing head, loose, lacy and with alot of personality. Hazy/cloudy light, tangerine amber. Head slowly settles down to a thick white film that leaves nice, stringy lacing. Bold, complex nose with sniffs of soap, yeast, pepper, Belgian like phenols. Saison on steroids. Complex, full flavor, super all American musclebound take on the Belgian original. Big chunky flavor notes of about a pound of pepper, soft, lemon rinds, nutty yeasties. more perfumy soapyness. heady, big, bold, complex and thoroughly exciting brew. Closes with more spice and spicy hops. Not for beginners, another evolutionary link in the development of American/Belgian brew. The Houblon Chouffe of Saisons. Should have bought a few more bottles...hopefully SHMPTN will see to it that this one stays in stock in the area.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to thank Malto for telling me about this as it is just stunning for its particular style. Yes, right now. Just before the Jets/Indy game today, I made my way to Shoreline to find this one in the back of the store and picked it up with a couple of turkey and swiss heros on the way.

The Saison poured to an unusually big head with a spicy fumes coming forward to meet me as I raised my 50cl glass.

I was knocked back by the exploding taste of coriander spices, lemons, cream, and bitter hops. With all the flavors taking the front of the taste, I found the body to be heavier than most of the other Saisons I have had recently.

I noticed as the Saison warmed up, it actually became less concentrated in its spicy flavors and was easy to access in terms of its mouthfeel.

I consider this to be a great find and probably one of the best Saisons I have ever had. Fantome would be proud we made something this good.

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last