Saison Deluxe | Southampton Publick House

Style: Belgian Saison

Added by BeerBeing on 09-23-2006

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Purchased @ New Beer in NYC, $ 8.95. Belgian style bomber, caged and corked, freshness indication not to be found. A healthy yeast cake rests on the bottom of the bottle. Opens with a loud and forceful POP of the cork, carbonation seems near explosive. Pours initially with a wildly growing head, loose, lacy and with alot of personality. Hazy/cloudy light, tangerine amber. Head slowly settles down to a thick white film that leaves nice, stringy lacing. Bold, complex nose with sniffs of soap, yeast, pepper, Belgian like phenols. Saison on steroids. Complex, full flavor, super all American musclebound take on the Belgian original. Big chunky flavor notes of about a pound of pepper, soft, lemon rinds, nutty yeasties. more perfumy soapyness. heady, big, bold, complex and thoroughly exciting brew. Closes with more spice and spicy hops. Not for beginners, another evolutionary link in the development of American/Belgian brew. The Houblon Chouffe of Saisons. Should have bought a few more bottles...hopefully SHMPTN will see to it that this one stays in stock in the area.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to thank Malto for telling me about this as it is just stunning for its particular style. Yes, right now. Just before the Jets/Indy game today, I made my way to Shoreline to find this one in the back of the store and picked it up with a couple of turkey and swiss heros on the way.

The Saison poured to an unusually big head with a spicy fumes coming forward to meet me as I raised my 50cl glass.

I was knocked back by the exploding taste of coriander spices, lemons, cream, and bitter hops. With all the flavors taking the front of the taste, I found the body to be heavier than most of the other Saisons I have had recently.

I noticed as the Saison warmed up, it actually became less concentrated in its spicy flavors and was easy to access in terms of its mouthfeel.

I consider this to be a great find and probably one of the best Saisons I have ever had. Fantome would be proud we made something this good.

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last