Southampton Abbot 12 | Southampton Publick House

New York, United States
publick.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2003

I poured from a bomber into a snifter, dark brown pour with a big white head, light lacing. The aroma is full of sweet dark fruit(dates and plums), and alcohol. The flavors are very sweet, dark fruit, and hot alcohol. It finishes hot and sweet. The body is full, good carbonation. Even though it is very sweet I liked it. The combination of flavors really worked for me.

From 06/17/15 notes. Big thanks to my buddy Dave for giving me a bottle of this as a wedding gift; thanks Dave, actually never had it. 750ml bottle poured into my Duvel tulip.

Pours a deep, murky reddish brown color with two fingers of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Dark fruits, figs, plums, raisins, breads malts, Belgian yeast, spices, cloves, brown sugar, and toasted malts. Light alcohol too. Medium body and light to moderate carbonation, light booze.

Overall pretty good, a little boozy which keeps it from being great. A lot of dark fruits and a pretty solid quad, but a strong one. Would have it again.

Clear, deep amber color that appeared almost mahogany. Off white/egg shell colored fizzy head that fades quite quickly. Splotchy lacing sticks in the glass.

Aroma is earthy, malty with some sweetness and the slightest yeast tones.

There is a bit of alcohol as the flavor burst in your mouth. Not hot, but perceptible. Nicely complex flavors. Dates, prunes, cherries and a hint of white pepper. Not much yeast character, but the layers of fruit and malt tones add nice depth.

Smooth, silky mouth feel. Almost syrup like.

Very enjoyable. I like this.

750ml bottle into my Rochefort chalice. It poured a darker, caramel brown color with a frothy, creamy head covering the beer and clinging to the edges of the glass.

The aroma has a big darker fruit presence to it with some notes of cherry, fig and plum mixing with some sweeter, malty, caramel flavors. Nice mix of flavors in the aroma for the style

The taste has some malty, caramel flavors mixing with a crisp, fruity, apple like flavor to it up front. In the finish it starts to show more of the cherry, fig and raisin flavors with a little bit of brown sugar as well.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with carbonation being on the higher side. Overall it was a very nice beer of the style. It showcased the malts really nicely and was also very drinkable for the style and abv. Very enjoyable beer overall.

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Pours a rich opaque brown with a big creamy head, only if poured very vigorously though. Smell is sweet, has bits of alcohol, and light chocolate. The taste is very rich, again sweet with caramelized sugars and a very slight toast or roast. There is perhaps a light fruitiness wayyyy in the background. Mouthfeel is a nice medium, about what I would expect in a Belgian quadrupel. This is a good beer to be drank in small quantities.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Surprised to see I've never reviewed this beer before; I remember really liking it back in the days when Southampton was new and I lived at my old house (moved out of there in 2011, so we're talking quite some time ago). Anyway, this one was in the cellar for awhile, then made it to my fridge in the garage God knows how long ago (I'm guessing at least a year). Bottle says BB 12/22/14, which - assuming 5 years from bottling to the "best by" date - I'm guessing makes this bottle about 9 years old as I pour it on March 10, 2018....

A: First: I had trouble with the cork, had to use a pair of pliars to try and get it uncorked, which served to break the cork, which led me to open it with a wine opener. . . . Poured it into a Corsendonk Christmas Ale chalice and my first impression was that it had retained its carbonation nicely. Body is reddish-amber with a half-finger of khaki-colored head which is refortified nicely with that carbonation.

S: I've got the remnants of a cold, with a stuffy nose, but even so, I can smell the fruit - mainly cherries - and sweeter malt (caramel) and sugars (brown, candied). Good nose. Doesn't seem to have oxidized over all these years.

T: First impression is the fine but active carbonation. Flavor-wise, it's following the nose, with a sweet, sugary malt foundation that's followed by stone fruit (dark cherries; think booze-soaked cherries) and then a good dose of alcohol on the finish. A little too much alcohol, I think, and so I've knocked the taste score down from 4.25 to 4.00.

M: As noted above, active but fine carbonation. Call it medium in heft. Feels nice.

O: Solid. I don't think the extra age has hurt this beer at all. A nice relatively easy-drinking Quad for a cold night in March. Glad I chose to open this one tonight.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Corked and caged 750mL, Sly Fox bottling.
Beautiful clear burnt orange colour topped by a thick, fluffy cap of beige foam. Chunky lacing that just won't go away, great head retention. Bready, yeasty nose with banana and brown sugar notes, raisin and plum. Lots of sugary sweetness, mild raisin and dried fruit, with just a bit of bready malt and banana. Toasted marshmallow, caramelized sugar. A bit peppery towards the end with a pleasant warmth in the finish. Medium to full bodied with a decent texture overall. Lots of carbonation and a bit sticky. Pretty good with some really nice character, but seems like it would benefit from slightly higher attenuation.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Pours a clear dark amber color with mahogany hues and a gynormous ice cream float-like light tan head. Visibly effervescent, leaving impressive lacing patterns in its wake. The initial uncorked smell came across a little sour to me, not sure what that was about, but that soon subsided. The aroma is primarily an earthy Belgian yeast, vanilla and dark fruits. Not sure, but I imagine that vanilla characteristic is part of the 10.5% ABV; nicely done. Those bountiful tiny bubbles really lend a creaminess to the mouth feel. Full flavored and bubbly, the sweet dark fig fruit taste is complemented by a tangy almond kick. This one is coming across like one my favorite Belgian Strong Dark Ales instead of a Quad. I'm having a REALLY HARD TIME spanking it for being 'beyond' style. The last quad that i had was in your face alcohol...i hope that when i get to Westvleteren 12 that it presents me with a happy medium or I'll really be bumbed. This is on my Favorties list...regardless of how I scored it.

Southampton Abbot 12 from Southampton Publick House