Southampton Belgian Stout | Southampton Publick House

made from the second runnings of Southampton Imperial Russian Stout

Added by LilBeerDoctor on 02-16-2009

Reviews by tayner:
2.96/5  rDev -15.2%

22 oz bottle courtesy of an awesome BA, leftmindedrighty.. thanks Aaron.

The bottle says something about it being like a stout if belgian and ireland collided or something silly. Fermented with a "unique yeast strain" and flavored with a hint of coriander. That sounds a bit confusing to me.

It poured black with a HUGE chocolate head, very foamy, and very slow dissipating. Looked really nice, but there was too much foam for a beer coming out of my fridge and being poured extra cold.

After letting it warm a minute in my tulip glass the smell was like a sour belgian. Somehow I am missing any hint of roasted grains in the nose.

Are you sure this isnt a flemish sour mixed with a black bier? I am not sure what that "unique yeast strain" is, but it seems more flemish sour than irish stout. On the very tail-end of the finish I get a slight roasty guinness-like flavor for a second or two. This is an odd beer, and I cannot really say I enjoy it. I am not picking up much, if any belgian character in this beer. For me, if I had no idea of the intended style, I would say that someone poured a glass of an average-at-best flemish sour and then topped it off with a shot or two of guinness, just enough to darken the beer.

Mouthfeel was decent as there was enough carbonation to make it a tad creamy, if you can get past the funky parts.

Drinkability.. well, for a belgian stout, zero.. for what it is, I can finish the bottle I guess, but I would not seek it out again for sure. It was a disappointment for sure.

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

22oz bottle.

Poured a dark, dark brown color (almost black) with an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of yeast, roasty, chocolate, fruity, lightly earhty, and spices. Tastes of roast, chocolate, fruity, light cofee, and lighter spices. Medium sweet with a light bitter finish.

3.32/5  rDev -4.9%

22oz bottle courtesy of beerbill poured into a tulip.

Pours dark, dark brown out of the bottle and sits opaque black in the glass underneath a surprisingly bubbly tan head that recedes very quiclkly and leaves no lacing.

Dark toasted malts dominate the aroma with some espresso. There is also plenty of sweet bakers chocolate and some yeasty sweetness as well. I didn't get any kind of sour aromas at all.

The taste, on the other hand, starts out with a bizarre sour blast which just didn't match the aroma at all. The big roasted malt backbone does start to come out in the middle and the finish actually matches the aroma with the toasted malts, bakers chocolate and hints of coffee.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin and has the slightly acidic tartness that's really out of place.

This is a weird beer, with a very promising aroma and a great finish. It's the odd tartness up front in the taste that I can't get my head around. Not exactly sure if it was intended and what the goal was, but it keeps this one from being a very good stout.

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottle. Pours black with a HUGE thick chocolatey head. Aroma of sweet roasted malts, sweet dark fruits, and dark chocolate. Flavor is quite chocolatey with some sweetness in the finish. There is a definite tartness in the flavor as well. Slight light roast and a touch of smoke make their presence too. Nice and dry. The tartness was slightly off-putting, but I enjoyed this one. I'm surprised this is only 5.2%--it is quite full-bodied. A nice new beer from Southampton!
7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/5)