Double White Ale | Southampton Publick House

Style: Witbier

Added by Todd on 05-07-2003

Ratings: 1,108 |  Reviews: 630
4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

A- Yellow, orange and straw.

S- Strong aroma of Coriander followed by sweet orange peel and lemon peel. Very nice smell.

T- Belgian yeast profile, Coriander and citrus.

M- Very heavy for a wit, which was nice and unique for a style of beer. Could sense the alcohol by the end.

D- Great taste, could mess you up on a hot summer day.

A nice beer from Southampton. Pours a hazy straw with a beige head. The nose has wheat malts, crips hops and summer spices. The taste is well balanced and has a nice bready wheat component. Medium body has a light and crisp carbonation. Great session brew.

3.21/5  rDev -19.3%

The Double White Ale pours a neon golden hue that is quite unique. The head is pretty thick and rocky. It stays around throughout most of the beer.
The smell is bannana and malt, with a hint of alcohol hidden in the background.
The spices take front and center in the flavor of this beer. Especially the orange zest, the malt and hops are there...they are just overpowered by the spice. On a lighter note, this beer's saving grace for flavor is how well the alcohol is hidden.
The mouthfeel is light and crisp, quite refreshing. It finishes very dry, with a bit of an astringent note from the spices in copper.
I couldn't drink more than two of these, the spices are nice, but they really make the beer much harder to drink.

4.3/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy light orange with a decent sized head.

S: Mainly bananas and lemons.

T: Strong citrusy tartness with an undercurrent of banana sweetness. Bready aftertaste.

M: Nice balance between carbonation and syrupy texture.

D: A very nice thirst quencher, although a bit too big to be sessionable. After trying Samuel Adams Imperial White, I have to say that this is as far as I'll go for souped-up wits.

3.54/5  rDev -11.1%

Reviewed 3/25/2009 (Bottle):

Pours a pale yellow semi-cloudy body, foamy creamy white head, good lacing, lasting. Aroma is spicy orange zest. Coriander maybe. Enticing. Dusty, musty. Somewhat effervescent. Lemony citrus light carbonation taste. Tasty and refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

If I had to characterize this beer to another, I would probably have to say it is very similar to a Blue Moon from Coors Brewing Co. Its definately better than a Blue Moon, but you get my drift. Can definately taste the orange and lemon peel. One of thoose yummy beers!

2.42/5  rDev -39.2%

Cloudy orange in appearance with insufficient level of carbonation. The two bottles I drank may have been past their prime, but there's no fucking date on the bottle, so I will proceed with my review. Aroma is of phenolic/medicinal belgian type with a vinous fruit scent as well. Smells like a witbier alright. As for flavor I have to say the witbier style, to me, should be around 5% ABV. The higher alcohol content in this one is very evident, even cold out of the fridge and interacts negatively with the added coriander, orange and lemon peel. Mouthfeel is not quite crisp, and a little thin. Finishes dry. I mean, I did drink two bottles but they weren't as enjoyable as things might have been.

3.92/5  rDev -1.5%

Not bad, definately tasting the orange and lemon peel. overall a good pick and the first southampton beer I have ever had. good light tasting beer, although it is alot more interesting than most of the white beers I have had. Really wanting to try this one again and again. Not bad

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

I recently discovered Southampton Publick House in my local liquor store. I was skeptical and feeling adventurous so I picked up some IPA. I loved it, thought it was delicious. I also took the opportunity to do a little research, here on beeradvocate.com. I found that the Double White received an "A" and had to go back for more. A six pack was reasonably priced at $7.70.

I am not super familiar with the style, other than having a Blue Moon, which I am not too fond of if you read my review. My favorite styles are Russian Imperial Stouts and American Doubles but I figured if this is indeed as good as I hear, then it will be worth the effort.
Served in a chilled 14oz snifter
Appearance: Poured a cloudy, bright yellow/orange with a thin, white, one-finger head.

Smell: Nothing really impressive at first. There some sweet malts, spices, banana, and a tinge of alcohol.

Taste: Oh my...very sweet. The taste is full of citrus, spices, and sweet malts. Maybe a slight hopiness hidden in there.

Mouthfeel: It was nice and has some good carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly light and crisp and with a good amount of alcohol. Its pretty tasty and easy to enjoy, and would probably be good for a nice BBQ. I don't think buying this beer will change my mind about witbier but I think its good for what it is.

Discrepancies:

-Southampton Brewery is located in Wilkes-Barre, PA, not Southampton, NY (maybe they moved).
-The alcohol content is 6.6%, not 7.0%

(info per the bottle)

Cheers!

-Dotson

3.77/5  rDev -5.3%

A = Poured a cloudy straw color. Not much head and some light lacing.

S = Sweet citrus and malty. Wheat and some spice.

T = Fairly balanced with some citrus and malt sweet notes followed with a bitter/sour finish.

M = Nice medium carbonation and dry finish. Not too light.

D = Good drinkability. I could see putting a few back in a session. ABV is hidden.

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, first time I've seen this in Colorado. Label has changed since the picture on BA. Date code is 061509

Appearance: Pours hazy yellow orange, with a thin head that fades quickly.

Smell: Wow - tons of spice, lots of coriander, some orange peel - and definitely wheat. Exactly what I would expect from a wit, but more of it.

Taste: Lots of citrus, some lemon and orange peel flavors. The spice is here too, but not quite as strong as the aroma. Good amount of unmalted wheat flavor.

Overall impression: I recently had the Sam Adams Imperial Wit, so I can't help but compare. That one was like a wit but deeper and darker - this one is like a wit explosion - bright flavors and tons of it. I enjoyed them both, but think this is a bit more interesting of a beer.

4.48/5  rDev +12.6%

Long live the new wit. Long live the double wit!

A- Transparent with a slight haze. Light straw color and a nice head with a bit of lacing

S- I've never before smelled a "big" witbier. Loads of herbal scents, like citrus fruits, coriander, clove, and some funky Belgian yeast flavors

T- The taste is light and fruity. I'm not quite sure what fruit it reminds me of most. There's grape, orange, peach, and some other sweeter, tropical fruits.

M- I don't know how they kept a 6.6%ABV so light. Fizzy carbonation

D- As easy to drink as it looks

3.66/5  rDev -8%

Feb 23, 2009
Pours a hazy golden color, has a one finger head. smells mostly of the spices. sorta has a belgian golden ale smell about it. And the taste im picking up the most is banana, but also getting the clove taste, and a touch of orange. but doesnt taste like a belgian golden ale which i thought it smelled like. Its actually not a bad brew, i could drink a few of these no problem. has a clean finish and is more mellow then i expected from a "double white"

4.39/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A small white head covers a hazy yellow brew and quickly fades. A few bubbles continue to rise to the top. Smell is exceptional, with the expected coriander being most prominent, and being followed by some welcomed grapefruit covered with sugar and some banana mixed in. I must take another whiff for enjoyments sake before I take a drink. . . nice. Again, tastes big on the coriander, with some sharp bitterness around the edges (perhaps hops), but well balanced with some malts and light fruits. Body lies in the medium range, but stays very drinkable, with the taste being just enough to keep you interested for a long while. Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water, some one comes out with a beer like this, and you know things are going to get scary good with the future of beer.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

received this as an extra from smason. put in the fridge this morning, cracking it tonight.

pours a nice color. light gold. one finger white head falls quickly but leaves a nice amount of lacing.

smell is pretty basic. coriander. orange peel. slightly sweet.

taste is decent. typical white ale.

i would love to finish out this review but my back started spasming. so i will sum it up

it is a tasty beverage. ok as far as white ales go. not the best but i would love to drink more of it. but alas my glass is empty and there is an imperial stout trooper calling my name.

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer definitely packs several tastes to it.

Pours gold, very bubbly with an average head that dissipates quickly and a moderately strong wheat smell.

This has an intense wheat and orange taste to it, with a slight spice aftertaste, semi-bitter. Very unique and worth a try.

3.28/5  rDev -17.6%

First of all...White Ales are not my favorite style of beer. So with that said, this wasn't bad. This Double White has a little body to it. I might be able to drink this, but in the Summer only. Too many other choices to settle for this. Refreshing with the tang of lemon and orange peel. A little Belgian yeasty flavor, to me. Definately better than I expected. At 6.9%, a respectable ale. Not great, but better than most white ales I've tried.

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Had this on tap poured into a 23oz. Weizen glass.
Very white and cloudy appearance. Decent amount of head with nice lacing.

Aroma is spicey and yeasty and also smells of citrus with banana and lemon undertones.

Flavor starts out slightly sweet and citrusy. Then a spiceyness takes over.
Overall it is very drinkable and smooth.
Nice alcohol warmness as well.

A very nice witbeir.

4.63/5  rDev +16.3%

From notes 11-19-08

Eye: The first words out of my mouth once I saw the beer pouring from the bottle to the glass were "Oh my god, this really is a white ale!" I knew it was a wit but still I didn't expect it to be that white, I don't think that I've seen one that white on the pour, especially before any yeast has gone into the glass. I don't know if this beer is bottle conditioned or not, but it is whiter than most wits I've seen. Color is cloudy pale straw gold. The beer has excellent head formation and retention, lacing is also great. Really I don't think I've seen a better looking wit, yes...they don't get much better than this The head's texture is somewhere between creamy and fluffy...reminds me a bit of meringue.

Nose: Big on the aromatics, big coriander supported by orange and lemon citrus aromas. I actually can smell both the orange and the lemon, really quite interesting...a nice blend of the two, they make a very nice citrusy aroma that gives this beer some depth. Upon first smelling it I didn't get any citrus, after looking for a bit I found the orange and then the lemon supporting it. However, had the label not stated that there was lemon in here, I don't think that I'd have been able to pick it apart from the orange. Also some clove notes in here. Overall great aroma, an instant classic!

Tongue: Wow! great flavor on this brew, orange and lemon really come through in the flavor. Unlike the aroma they are much more upfront, the citrus character takes lead. Spicy notes of coriander and clove also come through to balance out the citrus notes. Clove comes through, especially in the aftertaste, with some peppery notes as well, but mainly clove. The light wheat flavor just makes this beer possible, can't really say much more besides the fact that this is one of the best wits I've had to date.
Interesting flavor profile altogether, almost like a wit and a hefeweizen mix...wit flavors of orange and coriander come through as do the phenolics from hefeweizen yeast...banana and clove. Quite thrist quenching...not a big fan of hefe but this beer does it for me, a mix of hefe and wit...nice. I can't speak more for this beer, you have to just get out there and try it, you'll see how good it is.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Light in body with perfect carbonation, seems to be a bit low for the style, but it works great with this beer. This is a real smooth drinking beer, definitely one that I'll be revisiting, though most likely in the warmer months. This would be perfect on a steaming hot and humid day. Long lasting aftertaste, easy drinker, thirst quenching, refreshing...damn, I don't see what's not to like about this beer. Go out and get it if you've not had it. This is one that I'll be recommending over Holy Moses, Bell's Winter White, Hoegaarden, Blue Moon (obviously), Wittekerke, White Rascal, and well, just about every Wit I've had to date.

3.28/5  rDev -17.6%

It pours the standard mildly cloudy bit you would expect. It even seems a little light to me considering it's a double. Great looking head with decent lacing as I consume it. The scent is of cloves and banana. The taste is clearly stronger than your average wit - as advertised. The taste is powerful - alcohol is clearly present, much more so than in your average wit. This one is just a little too overpowering - it misses out on much of the balance that makes your average wit so delicious.

3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz bottle, undated into a pint

A - Very cloudy and hazy - although I'm not sure its from yeast or from a strong protein formation. It is a pale golden color. Head formation is formidable and light white in color. Well retained.

S - Excellent nose. Has a very potent spicy, yeasty edge to it. There are some phenolic and sweet undertones backing it up. A very small hedge of wheat graininess.

T - Starts off very light, and very bitter. They did a heck of a job balancing out this beer. Some wheat astringency. Finishes off very dry. Goes to some spicy coriander edge, but then backs it up with an agressive bitter orange peel.

M - A conundrum of mouthfeel. First drink is nice and thick, but once you put a tongue to it, its somewhat thin.

D - Easy to drink - refreshing. Alcohol content, while high, melds well with the rest of the beer. Dryness is a little bit wearing however.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz. bottle tried 3 Jan 2009.

Poured in shaker pint. Small stark white head. Medium carbonation. Cloudy golden straw color. Aroma is banana, cloves, very sweet, light citrus peel. Starts with sweet bananas and some astringency. Citrus and coriander becomes stronger to the finish and aftertaste. Reminiscent of banana pudding and vanilla wafers. Medium chewy body. Ethanol moderate for 7%.

Decent but would probably not get this again.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color with a medium sized fine white head. Fades a touch faster than average, but this is one of the first times I have noticed a delicious tasting foam.

Nose is big for a wit and heavier on the coriander than most. Orange peel is there of course, as well as a cereal smell...what is it...honey bunches of oats, yea. I also get a bit of saaz-esque hop aroma.

Not sure I like the 'double' nomenclature, but whatever. The coriander is the most prominent flavor and may be approaching too much, but that is balanced somewhat by a creamier and fuller body than most of this style. I do detect some hops in here, like saaz or sterling. Overall, this is a very tasty wit and one of the best American versions of the style I've had.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Draught into tulip.

Pours cloudy pale yellow, with a foamy white head that fades quickly and leaves no real lacing.

Aroma is heavy on sweet lemon zest, with a bit of spicy yeast and coriander in there as well.

Taste is sweet and crisp up front - wheat blends with lemon citrus, with the spicy yeast coming in right before a sweet, zesty, clean finish.

Very drinkable, full flavored, with a slightly heavier body then many wits I've tried. Medium body, crisp carbonation, only a hint of dryness on the finish.

4.52/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Pours a pale yellow with a nice fluffy head. I gave it a swirl at the end of the pour, so it's nice and cloudy. Very nice sticky lacing.

S: An outstanding aroma. full of banana and citrus with a touch of bread. I can smell a little coriander there too and some other spice I don't know.

T: This has to be one of the best tasting wits I have had to date. Tastes exactly as it smells. Banana, lemon and coriander up front with a little hint of bitter orange. Taste is amazing. All the flavors seem to compliment each other rather than one dominating.

I based this review on a bottle tasting. I have had this on tap as well. The stuff I had on tap was way more aromatic and flavorful than the bottle. I think this is a great representative of the style.

Double White Ale from Southampton Publick House