Double White Ale | Southampton Publick House

Style: Witbier

Added by Todd on 05-07-2003

Ratings: 1,116 |  Reviews: 633
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

This brewery just arrived here in VT.

Pours a whitish-yellow color with a frothy head that recedes quick, leaving some lacing.

The aroma is full of coriander with a hint of orange and lemon peel. Aroma is not overwhelming.

Taste is smooth and fluffy upfront with the hint of coriander as in the aroma. However, there's a decent amount of orange and lemon peel in the middle. Refreshing with just a hint of alcohol burn towards the back of the throat. A light amount of breadiness is present as well.

Mouthfeel is mainly coriander with the orange peel standing out more, followed by alcohol burn.

Overall impression of this is that it's similar to a regular witbier, except that they've mainly ramped up the alcohol and the standard flavors of a witbier. I like it but I feel it should be a separate classification, such as an Imperial Witbier (I know, sound ridiculous?) or something like that. A very nice beer to enjoy though. I generally enjoy witbiers every now and then.

It's definitely a good beer but the alcohol burn could be reduced.

Pours a clouded gold with a thinner white head. Nose is butterscotch and a fair portion of it at that. Flavor carries some of the same with a generous amount of spices as well. More sweet than I would expect though, overall. Still nice though. Feel has a smaller carbonation that still bites. Liquid is slick and smooth. Fairly easy to drink. A good interpretation of a hard to hit style.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

A bright, shimmering shade of banana yellow. With constant spurts of bubbles, crystal clarity and mere lining for head, this already lacks the first fundamental characteristic of the Belgian white beer: its appearance. From looks, I would guess this to be a pilsner, and a darn fine looking one at that, but to me a wit beer with no haze just isn't quite a wit beer.

Not only do I love the smell of wit beer, I love the specific smell of all its components - the yeast, the coriander, the orange peel. So it stands to reason that this "double gravity" version should have an aroma I would love "double" as much. Sadly, that isn't quite the case. It's somewhat neutral for a wit because there seems to be a bunch of malt crowding out the spices and it lacks some zest as result.

I'm very happy with the taste; there's been no compromises in the flavour department. It has the tang, dry orange peel (not juicy like the fruit itself, but the orange zest), lemon zest, and underlying (but not outright) coriander. The wheat makes for a nice texture in the mouthfeel, although the carbonation is a little low, so its not as quenching as it could be. The 7% alcohol, however absent it is, certainly doesn't help the quench/drinkability aspect either, but you'll still find yourself going quickly back to the glass for more, that's for sure.

I wasn't entirely sure what to make of Southampton's attempt at an "imperial white beer". It is a style that should be refreshing and elegant and I didn't find it necessarily that. I would question the freshness of my bottle because my impression was a little below the average score for it on this site, as well as what I've come to expect from this quality brewery. Either way, I'd be happy to revisit this one at some point to be sure.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

I had this beer on tap this evening @ the publick house. This beer pours a beautifully cloudy yellow with a wonderful white head. The smell is that smell I have yet to peg but its what I get from nice belgian ales. The taste was extrememly complex and pleasant. The malts are perfect in this brew and it is a very smoothe drinking beer. The mouthfeel is very pleasant for this beer, bvery nicely carbonated and the drinkiablility is nice. Another very nicely crafted beers

3.69/5  rDev -7.3%

On tap at Rustico in Alexandria, VA. Served in a tall, flute-like glass.

Appearance: Pale straw gold, with a solid, very fine-bubbled head, sheet like atop the body. Loads of active, bubbly effervescence. A fine looking brew.

Aroma: Mild, with some Belgian spices and a few funky yeast notes. Nothing outstanding.

Taste: Very, very tart and dry, lemon and other fruity esters, light orange zest, and a few spices - cloves, white pepper. A little too tart for me, but I won't knock it for that.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, with medium bubble size and a very even-feeling body. Pleasant.

Drinkability: Very easy-going and light, even for a "Double Wit" - what is that anyway? Good if you like tart beers. It's not puckering, just very dry.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Personally I shy from most Witbiers, I find them Thin & not very flavorful...however, this is the exception to the rule along with a few others (Allagash, Unibroue Blanche) This beer has a nice mouthfeel, somewhat sweet-tart & bready yeast flavors with some citrus & typical corriander spices. Refreashing, Flavorful & quite robust for a Wit. Pours hazy straw colored. I love this & represents the best of this style fir ME personally. Ive been very impressed with every Southampton product I've had so far.

4.04/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a yellowish white color with a white head that leaves a good amount of lacing. The aroma is some wheat with citrus and spices with some yeast as well. The taste is very good and highly drinkable despite the high ABV for a witbier. There is a good dose of citrus and spices in the taste, a little heavier and more flavor than your average wit. Overall, Southampton Double White Ale is a very good beer that is recommended.

3.28/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy, straw-colored body with a full, foamy, white head.

Smell: Aroma of coriander and dried orange peel with a vague underlying maltiness.

Taste: Delicate pale maltiness with a restrained honey-like sweetness. Strong spice component tasting of coriander, citrus peel, and white pepper. Low hop bitterness. Blip of acidity. Slightly sweet, slighty sour on the relatively crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I still feel the whole trend of doubling or imperializing witbiers is entirely lost on me, they don't get twice as refreshing, quite the opposite, in fact.

3.79/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured this one into a Unibroue tulip which yielded about a fingers worth of white head. Looked a bright lemon yellow color and could not see thru glass. The smell was faint and I got coriander and not much else. Got a good sour taste thru the entire sip and very slight tastes of coriander as well. Not the best wit I have tried but good none the less, just average for the style.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

I have had this beer many times. most recently at a fondue restaurant with dinner.

Pours out slightly hazy and light colored with lots of fizz which retains itself preety well compared to others of the style.

Taste is exceptional. It has a lightly hopped great citrus and spice flavor without the overly sour aftertaste. Be careful as unless you read the package you would never know this is a 7% beer. Goes down very smooth and very drinkable.

Easily one of my favorites for the style, and lucky for me its local so easy to find. I do not know about when it is bough out of state but usually reasonably priced around me.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear gold with a slight haze to it, clearer than I was expecting, so I dumped the yeast in too. That's more like it - straw-colored and nearly opaque. Head retention is somewhat weak for the style.

Smell: Floral and grainy, semi-sweet, spicy, yeasty - this essentially smells like what you'd expect from a double witbier.

Taste & mouthfeel: Spicy, crisp, wheaty and surprisingly mellow, it's hard to believe this is 7% ABV. Less dry and fuller in body than most witbiers, but that's to be expected from a double, and it's by no means an overly sweet beer. The finish is biscuit-like and slightly tangy but ultimately very clean.

Notes: Received from dyan in our last trade. Thanks!

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

A- Pours a cloudy yellow color with a nice, frothy, white head.

S- Smell is spicy, perfumey, citrus fruits, a bit of tartness / funk towards the end and a lemonadesque sweetness.

T- Taste is very full, a blast of citrus fruits, spices, lemon with a tangy back end.

M- Thick for the style with ample carbonation. Maybe a bit to thick and sticky.

D- I haven't had many witbiers but this is definitely the best I have consumed. Very drinkable, no off tastes. Quaffable for a summer evening.

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a nice solid yellow hue with a nice fluffy 2 finger head that slowly fades into a nice thin layer and a solid edge ring. Foams sticks slightly to the sides. Fairly lively carbonation and virtually no thickness to the liquid. Looks light.

Wow that a really nice spiciness that comes from what I imagine is the huge amounts of actual spice. Mixed with coriander and orange zest and lemon zest. Some clove and a nice hint of alcohol.

Taste or orange and lemon with a huge amount of coriander and spice that stick though the whole beer. Some definite clove and even a touch of honey.

The lively carbonation gives the illusion of a fuller beer than this is. Still it's a very flavorful beer whose intention are fulfilled in being absolutely delicious. This beer is not only great on a hot day, it's also great with any spicy food. Chinese, BBQ, Thai and even Buffalo chicken. This is an all around winner in my book!

This beer is quiet drinkable and should be enjoyed all summer long, with friends and great food. I don't know what it is about this beer but I highly recommend it!

3.49/5  rDev -12.3%

Southampton Double White Ale pours a cloudy yellow that is slightly darker on top blending into a pale yellow on the bottom. The smell is medium strong of yeast and grains with a slight citrus note. Taste is a combonation of grains, yeast, and an odd aftertaste that I really don't care for. Mouthfeel is smooth with a medium high amount of carbonation. Drinkability is a little better than ok. Overall it is well defined in its taste and is pretty smooth. I just don't care for the yeast/grain combo in this brews taste.

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy yellow. Slightly pale for the style.

Smell: Immediate citrus-sour smell, slightly reminiscent of a fruity white wine. Very slightly malty. Little evidence of any hops. Remarkably pleasant (considering my allergy to white wine)

Taste: Slightly sour, but gives way to a pleasant sweetness.

Mouthfeel: A slight tangy coating not found in most witbiers. Relatively thin bottled.

Drinkable: Not my first choice of a wheat but relatively enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Note: I've averaged two reviews to get the points
12oz bottle poured into my hefeweizen glass. 2008 release.

A: Hazy yellow with a dense, white head. Tons of carbonation. Appealing 4/5

S: Lemony sourness in a refreshing way with some spice - coriander, nutmeg and mace? Wheaty 4/5

T: Starts off with a citrus sourness that's borderline artificial that quickly fades leaving some spice and sweetness. Thin body, dry finish. 4/5

M: Wonderful carbonation, great dry finish.4.5/5

D: This is surprisingly easy to drink and is very refreshing. I wish it was a 5% beer, though 4/5

Notes: I remember last years version being better than this

2007 release, aged a year. Consumed July 6th 2008.

A: Clear yellow with a huge white head and plenty of carbonation. Great retention. 4.5/5

S: Coriander, a little citrus and some wheat. Mild black pepper too. Very well balanced. This is great stuff. 4.5/5

T: Refreshing with coriander and a mild orange peel note. Wheat. Spicy with a little pepper and a little mace. Drying finish 4.5/5

M: Not as spritzy as the 2008 i drank a month back and a little smooth on the tongue but nice feel 4/5

D: Unfortunately, my last bottle 4.5/5

3.72/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass.

A - Hazy pale yellow with creamy 2 finger head. Decent retention and great lacing for a witbier.

S - Sharp coriander backed by a subtle but firm powdery yeast aroma. Some citrus evident as well.

T - Fairly sour for a wit obviously focusing on wheat malt and citrus character. Coriander peaks early palate and gives way to the mostly sour body of the beer. Mid to late palate yeast pulls through and sourness is further accentuated by a lemon/orange peel note. Aftertaste presents a detectable alcohol burn along with an out of place bitterness. Coriander taste-smell prevails throughout the finish.

M - A little thicker and less carbonated than I prefer my wits. Could be a bit crisper; instead it takes on a medicinal quality by being thick, bitter, and sour.

D - As much as I've wanted to like this brew, it's perhaps a little to extreme for me. The strong flavor, high ABV, and thicker mouthfeel all contradict my reason for wanting a witbier in the first place. A decent beer, but a little intense to session considering the generally high drinkability of most wits.

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz picked up at Premier Gourmet.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow, big thick white head forms, drops down leaving some lace spots, settles to a decently thick layer. Smell is wheat, some vanilla, lemony citrus, light spice, some biscuit and light graininess, bit of tartness, very refreshing. Taste is similar, light flavour, bit of sourness to start, lemony acidity and tartness, some spice, wheat, vanilla, very light flavour, alcohol is nicely hidden, very drinkable. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation, tartness makes it refreshing and drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

After several meetings with this beer, I have decided it is very good -- or very bad. I've decided to review the very good version here.

Pours hazy, straw colored pale yellow with a gluttonous white head.

Smells typical of the style; sweet, coriander and some spice, almost an allspice scent.

Taste is wonderful, spot on for the style. A warm, yet crisp wheat. Some spicy coriander and lemon mixed with low doses of caramel and maybe a sweet gum flavor. It all works.

Beautiful mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation, smooth and light and wonderfull.

Excellent beer.

A side note: My wife and I have agreed, if you get a bottle that tastes like vinegar, pour it out and buy another bottle. I know, I know, but the our first blush with this beer was a great experience. We both loved it, so we bought some more, which was so rancid, we took a sip and pouted. Then, being Ohioans, we tried agian, and were rewarded. Then hit with vinegar again. Then rewarded. Then smacked. Then rewarded.

If forgiveness is in your heart, try it. If you are a snap-decision kind of person, eh, better pass. Also, better expand your experience in life, sweetheart, 'cause ain't nobody perfect.

4.01/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked this one up in a mixed sixer, and to be honest, had not had any of the Southampton stuff since it came to SC so I figured this was a good chance to try some of it out. A 12oz bottle served right out of the fridge, I chose to pour this one into an oversized wine glass to really let the aroma pop. A nice, somewhat hazy, and very bright golden yellow then came out of over me. Very nice carbonation was visible, with the chains of bubbles really just reaching up toward the top throughout the session. There was a good three finger high head of white foam that only very slowly faded away, and even once it was gone there was tons of side glass lace present. Pretty much a very good look for the style, I really thought it looked very nice indeed.

The aroma was somewhat light, but once you let it warm up it started to come out at you a little bit better. Very nice light fruits, hints of banana and apricot, lots of cinnamon and nutmeg really far in the back, with a touch of a pepper like smell as well. The flavor followed suit just the same, with a very nice, light body ale. Tons of carbonation and a really crisp, clean feeling. The first flavor to come over was the light grain, and a touch of yeast, some banana poking around in there as well, with a sparkling quality to it. Nice touch of bitter grapes toward the finish, giving that little bit of a hoppy touch to dry out the finish and get you ready for another sip. Not a hint of alcohol in here what so ever, as this was really solidly put together. I could have kept drinking this one all day long, it was just that good. Really a very nice, high quality ale.

Overall I thought this one was very good. I normally am not the biggest fan of the style, but this one hit just right. I was very nicely surprised and would definitely reach to try this one again. I would recommend picking this one up for a hot day, definitely a solid choice.

4.44/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was clear, yellow, and well carbonated, with a one finger white fizzy head that died down to a thin layer. Would've thought that a witbier from these guys would be unfiltered - I don't think I tried to decant this one.

Aroma was spicy, grassy, and floral, with wheat malt, bread dough, and a good slug of yeast thrown in. Also a bit of a fruity character - very complex and appealing.

Taste was bready and slightly sweet, with spicy notes thrown in and a little zing for good measure. Nice.

Mouthfeel was creamy smooth, full yet not overly thick for a lighter beer.

Drinkability is high for this one. It was overall an excellent example of the style - I think the only drawback was the visual. However, if it was a choice between filtering and coming up with this stuff, or not filtering and getting something slightly different, this way wins hands down.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz bottle

A- Pours a verry hazy pale yellow color. Some sediment at the bottom of the glass. A nice white head forms after the initial pour, it dissipates quickly leaving a solid white rim and patchy foam on top of the beer. Some spotty sticking.

S- Big wonderful bready yeasty nose. Other notes include bananna and a slight hint of cloves and spice. Also a slightly nutty, orange aroma.

T/M- This brew's got some body to it. I think this is the benchmark wheat beer for me. I've had this brew numerous times and once on draught and it is a consistently awesome beer. Its everything you would expect in a wheat beer, amplified. The wheat/bread profile is perfect, very soft, but with some serious texture and character. Mellow fruit notes are apparent and very pleasing. Upon the finish a blast of peppery spice cleans up and rounds out the experience. For 7% the alcohol is not very apparent to the palate...

D- ...but it is for the head. Too many of these will put you out for sure. But they're soo good, so drink up!!

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

The look is very thick and cloudy. Bright sunny yellow. No head but that may be my own fault. Looks sunny and refreshing.

Some spciy orange peel in the nose. Mild wheat base. Smell is mild overall but orange and Belgian spices dominate.

The taste has a spicy initial burst, then a more sweetish fruity flavor. As it warms, a pleasant puckery sour flavor comes out. Strong Belgian Ale spices; halfway between a Belgian ale and a witbier. Quite pleasant.

Feels fizzy but smooth. Juice-like feel on the way down. A nice spicy-sweet Belgian white ale. Easy drinking with a small bite.

4.42/5  rDev +11.1%

poured with a slight head which dissipated quickly.hazy and golden in appearance.

smell-wheat,belgian yeast,and a slight amount of citrus.very appealing.

taste-nice amount of i dunno,farmhouse funk taste,wheat,citrus,and coriander. such a nice combination of flavors make this quite a quaffable beer.

mouthfeel-moderate amount of carbonation,a little less than i was expecting but complimented the style nicely.

drinkability-this is a very nice beer,easy to drink and full of flavor.

overall,this is a great beer especially considering the value.i highly recommend this if you can pick it up.

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Got in Virgin BIF-thanks Kempleton.

A-Cloudy and yellow with almost meringue like 3 inch head. Look good
S-Hard to smell with that giant head but had a citrus smell mostly, some spicy notes.
T-Maltier than expected, good citrus tones, some pine flavor, muted spices. There was a slight muted flavor to this one compared to other Wits. A little musty yeast in there too but was good touch.
M-Big and creamy in the mouth, dcently carbonated. Not as crisp on the tongue as lower ABV styles of wit.
D-Very smooth and delicous. Could drink a few of these.

Enjoyed this beer. An a really hot Texas day, I'd choose a lighter more crisp witbier, but this is one I'd pair with food and enjoy over an evening.

Double White Ale from Southampton Publick House