Double White Ale | Southampton Publick House

Style: Witbier

Added by Todd on 05-07-2003

Ratings: 1,109 |  Reviews: 631
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

Intitially pours a clear golden color with moderate carbonation, when the yeast is swirled in, the beer turns into lovely hazy opaque-gold brew. Absolutley gorgeous WhitBier. Retains a slight 1 finger head.
Big on the sour aroma notes, sour apple, yeast, grassy, wheats, smells like a wild fermented thing, beautiful!
Taste is creamier than expected. Very malty, very creamy, great mouthfeel, flavors of tart apricot, yeast,on the sweeter side of orange, coriander coming through.What an amazing whit, I am floored by this American offering, great balance of flavor,abv, and mouthfeel. very fulfilling and highly drinkable.

From a beer of the month club

A - cloudy, golden, white head that dissipates somewhat quickly

S - citrus, wheat malt

T - citrus really comes through, some sweetness up front, finishes nice and sour

M - light bodied, nice carbonation

D - not knowing a thing about this beer going into it I must say that I enjoy it. It hides the alcohol quite well and is very refreshing. As someone else noted, I'd love to have one during the summer. Not my favorite style, but I'm really enjoying this right now. Would drink again.

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Hazy lemon color with moderate fluffy white head.

S: sour lemons on nose balanced with a creamy wheaty aroma .

T: Nice spicy lemons and sour oranges for flavor with a decent tartness. Leaves a nice sour coating on the tongue. Spicing was not as complex as one hopes per style.

M: Creamy mouthful with some bananas.

D: Good attempt for style but falls short in comparsion to other belgian wits

Thanks to ncvbc for this extra, I’ve really been looking forward to this one for quite some time.

Pours a light yellow color, similar to pineapple juice, with about a quarter inch of foam which quickly settles to a ring. A little stir brings some more foam back to life.

First I pick up scents of orange, wheat malt, lemony coriander, yeast, and a mix of citrus.
Some more fruits like pears, spicy apples, and a little bit of green banana.

The taste is quite good, and I wish had this one during the summer. There’s sweet malt flavor upfront with hints of orange, lemon and coriander. The finish is dry and just slightly bitter. Also, I taste a little salt and sourness.

Well carbonated and very refreshing.

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Light amber, cloudy tone to it, typical of witbier. It had a small head when poured into a pint glass.

Smell: Very citrusy blend with some bread-like overtones. Very sweet and pleasant to smell.

Taste: This witbier had an interesting taste. While there was the usual orange and lemon flavoring, there were hints of spices like coriander.

Mouthfeel: This had a nicely carbonated feeling, with the fruity nature of the beer giving it a nice bite.

The Southampton is definitely a drinkable beer, though I don't know if it's quite in the same strata as others of this ilk.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--Golden yellow color. Weak head. Leaves no lace. Kind of dark for a witbier.

S--yeasty, clove and some perfume like smell. Almost rose water.

T--Clove up front with definite alcohol taste and burn. Some hop flavor but a bubblegum taste washes it away.

M--Thick. Oily.

D--Not very tasty or refreshing. A little too many uncomplimentary flavors going on. I'll pass.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from the bottle to a hazy lemony-yellow, with a tint of orange and a thick white pillowy head that lingers thru mid-glass and leaves very good lacing. Aroma is a very strong, very pleasant mixture of clove and corriander spices, bananas and sugar cookie dough. Mouthfeel is tingly, due to the spices and the flavor is a very pleasant continuation of the nose, all leading to a long, well-rounded finish.

I had this beer on a cold night recently in DC and really enjoyed it. It would have to even be better on a hot summer day in ATL.

2.8/5  rDev -29.6%

Very clear and un-cloudy for a white, much less a "double white." A pale yellow color with a little white head. Smells of coriander and citrus. This is my first time trying this, so I'm not sure if this is a bad bottle, but it has some common Belgian white flavors, but all underpinned by a noticeable lambic-like flavor that borders on vinegar. I'm not sure because it isn't an outright vinegar flavor, but has some complexity in it, like a white sparkling wine. I'll try again later.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

Southhampton is quickly becoming a favorite of mine with their solid Belgian offerings.

This brew poured a cloudy, lemon-yellow color with a small, frothy white head. Peering through the glass, I spy the micro-sediment dancing through the visible carbonation. The somewhat smaller head is persistent and is easily revitalized with a swirl of the glass.

Sweet aromatic wheat, funky earthy yeast, black pepper, coriander, lemon zest and orange fill the nose. Woah! This just might be the most complex, aromatic witbier to ever grace my nose. No alcohol to be detected but the higher gravity certainly helps get all the nuances out.

As I press the glass to my lips, I perceive a sweetness that is quickly quelled by bready wheat. The funky, tart, almost-sour yeast takes over next followed by a subtle spice profile. Zesty lemon, black pepper, citrus peel and coriander flavors give this beer great depth without becoming too overpowering. A sweet, tart finish leaves the palate thirsty for more. Again, no sign of booze in the flavor but the flavors are certainly more poignant with the higher gravity.

The aggressive carbonation gives this beer a soda-like quality. Perhaps the only thing that I would change would be to decrease the bubbles and increase the body. I'm totally nitpicking here though!

With the well masked alcohol, light body and glorious flavors, I could easily drink several of these in a session. Southhampton has done a wonderful job with this brew and I plan to revisit again soon!

4.32/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Relatively hazy light golden/yellow under a finger deep white head. No lace, good retention.

S: Citrus dominated with some other fruity notes. Lemony zest, some hints of orange. Bubblegum makes an appearance, along with some peppery spice.

T: Fruity up front with, some hints of bubble gum, finishing in a crisp refreshing citrus character with some hints of hops on the back of the tongue.

M/D: Clean crisp light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. 7.00% is invisible and you would be hardpressed to pick this one out of a crowd with traditional witbiers of lower alcohol. Drinkability is excellent and this one could be downed one after another for those out there with a hankering for a good wit.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: cloudy blond, with a moderate, pure white head, with great retention.

Aroma: A mild aroma of coriander, orange, yeast and a bit of lemon.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A dry taste, with orange, coriander, clove lemon, with a pear aftertaste. A creamy and crisp mouthfeel.

Drinkability: An elegant, complex witbier, one that is distinguished from the pack by its dryness, and pear aftertaste. This is certainly one of the best American witbiers.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

I have purchased multiple six packs of this from Brawley's Beverage, but the basis for my review is the bottle I had at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium.

A - Pours a nice pale whitish-yellow color, eventually clouded by the yeasty swirl added with the last third of the bottle. A nice white, two finger head formed on top.

S - Like all good witbiers, this one has that slight doughy smell, accented by citrus.

T - Phenomenal. This beer slid across my tongue with the initial doughy flavors I expected from the nose, but the tartness from the yeast and spices was more interesting and complex then I had imagined. Oh, the citrus accents provided by orange peel and coriander are surely there, but there are hints of berries as well. Wonderfully delicious.

M - Undoubtedly, this is a very refreshing beer. Such smooth characteristics that give way to a lifting carbonation.

D - I could easily drink a few or more of these in one session. The alcohol is very well hidden and affects you just enough to let you know it's there.

Notes - To me, this is the perfect witbier. From top to bottom, it was a treat. I've had it with several meals and my highest recommendation for pairing would be with salad, preferably mixed greens with spinach leaves, maybe blueberries, strawberries, and/or grapes as a tomato substitute and a zesty dressing. Honestly though, it went well with a wide assortment from tortillas w/salsa to bbq spare ribs w/corn on the cob.

3.47/5  rDev -12.8%

The Southampton Double White caught my eye by my local package store's display of current Great American Beer Festival wining beers. I figured if it won in Denver it's got to be good. From the hype (stickers on the cooler) I expected a Double White to blow my mind, but unfortunately that would not be. From the beginning the beer was lackluster. Little to no head, crystal clear appearance, slight to little citrus aroma. The taste was crisp. An initial hint of yeast then the quick blast of citrus and coriander to follow. This was a very refreshing beer I will give it that. But I walk away with this idea that this tastes very much like a typical white or maybe even a weiss that one would find at the bar with a huge slice of lemon floating in it. I don't know... maybe I am just completely blind or uneducated on the whole double white style, and my taste buds have yet to mature to truly grasp the greatness of this beer. I'm sure a panel of judges at the Great American Beer Fest probably know a thing or two more about this style than me, but the Southampton Double White Ale simply didn't move me in the slightest.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

Light golden color with with average head when poured in wide circular beer glass. Strong corriander aroma complimented by citrus esters of lemon and orange. Strong corriander flavor with slight but distinguishable hop bitterness. Light body with slight upfront tartness but lingering subtle maltness, perhaps indicative of many Belgium yeasts' distinctive phenolic spice. Soft carbonation with corriander effervescence. Damn good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had so much of this over the summer, but never got to slow down & sit with one till now. $7.99 a six is a real awesome price, given the fact that even the cheapest of the locals, BK & Bluepoint are going $8.99 a pack.

Always finding myself waiting for the head to settle, there are plenty of things out there to kill time. Take a quick nap, reformat your hard drive, carpet your living room, call your mothe... err, just drinking another beer would be fine here.

Even before things settle, I notice a big whiff of sweat, mixed in with some aerosol. A clean sweat, but still noticeably funky. Trying to cover it up, is a mixture of orange juice & lemongrass. Stale church incense sanctifies the mixture. It's funky, but the fruit is trying very hard to grab your attention.

The color is a faded gold, a bland wheat. Floaters cannonball into the pile of sediment at the bottom, stirring things up with every little movement of the glass.

Taste is of sweet orange juice, spicy coriander, & some bitter lemon peel that seals everything else off, accompanied by a bit of dry mouth.

Juicy, effervescent(but not harsh), & thin for the style(which I enjoy).

When Sierra Nevada is a buck more, this is an easy decision. :)

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Another winner from Southampton.

Pours a beautiful carbonated golden yellow like the sun. Beautiful big head.

Smells of orange, citrus, belgian yeasts.

Huge Taste. More of an aftertaste than a body, oranges, tartness, fruity wheat, pepper, excellent beer!

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and carbonated.

Excellent beer. Never had a double white, but this has to be one of the best.

3.52/5  rDev -11.6%

Compared to other witbiers I’ve had, I’m not sure this one is really "big" enough to be called a "double wit." The only other beer in recent memory that wore that title was the Real Ale Limestone Wit, which somehow seemed fresher, more citrus-y, and spicier than this example. However, it was quite a nice witbier, especially for American examples of this style, which can be over-sweet for my liking.

Appearance was a slightly hazy lemonade color with a good amount of soft white head. Aroma was rather citrus-y, and definitely spicy. Flavor was mostly clove, with some coriander and a nice amount of citrus. Flavor was pleasant, but not over-stated. Mouthfeel was pretty unremarkable, but not bad.

Recommended.

I bought this at Norm’s Beer & Wine in Vienna, VA during a visit there a few months back.

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%

Big head that fades pretty quickly but leaves lots of lacing in its wake. Cloudy as is the style, but rather pale and dingy looking compared to others I've had.

The aroma is huge! Full of yeast and sour citrus; this has all the classic characteristics of a wit except bigger and bolder. Hence the name, I suppose.

Pretty tasty, though a bit heavy on the sour note to be quaffable and far above others in the style.

Could stand a little sharper carbonation, it's a little too creamy and makes the beer feel slicker and heavier than it out to be.

I would drink this, but it's pretty pricey and there are better examples of the style sitting next to it on most shelves. However, if you want a high ABV Wit, I'd point to this one.

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

Got this in Asheville on the recommendation of Adam Avery, no less, who claims to love Southampton beers. Alright Adam, here's to ya...
into my cylinder it goes! This one is a cloudy, hazy, pale watery yellow. Big foamy bright white head. Lacy. Lots of suspended particles.
Looks good.

I nose it. Yep... a big celery / coriander wallop. Spicy, yeasty, green apples and citrus. Some sweet tangerine perhaps? This is typical for a wit, but smells fruity and sweet and less vegetal than some. I dig that.

A sip. Woah... this is a lot more tart and sour than I anticipated. Yikes. I'm hit with an eye-opening sour lemon bite, followed quickly by that bizarre spicy celery and grassy, parsley flavor. A bit of orange is present, and some alcohol... I'd guess 7% due to the warmth in my throat (and was proved correct, oddly.) The flavor is just kind of a wallop... think Allagash Wit but "more". It's real lively and hits you fast, but fades to a semi-dry, spicy finish reminiscent of white wine. Can't say I'm loving it, but it's very... unique.

The mouthfeel on this one is finely carbonated, and puffs up in your mouth if you leave it there a moment. Tingles the throat as it goes down. Not bad, good for the style.

Ultimately I just couldn't get past the wild, in your face flavor on this one. I'm not a huge fan of Wit beers (although I admit to liking Hoegaarden) but I do enjoy the refreshing aspect to 'em. Southampton's offering is too big and alcoholic to refresh, and too sharp tasting to be a session beer for me. A good exercise, but if I think Bell's did this style better with their unusual Batch 8,000. Still, worth a try if you like Wits, or want something novel.

4.78/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle bought at the local 6 pack shop.

Appearance - Poured a light amber color, very cloudy. Firm 3 finger creamy head with slight coloration really sparked my interest.

Smell - Citrusy smell with slight amount of coriander, decent smell, could be slightly better, but still no complaints

Taste - Great Taste. This beer has lemon, orange, pepper, wheat taste. Very drinkable. Could easily have 7 or 8 or 10 of these, but the 7%abv would be kickin my ass, especially because you really can't taste the abv.

Mouthfeel - Crisp Clean, lots of carbonation, Could maybe have more carbonation though, good all the same.

Drinkability - What can I say, A truly spectacular beer. Had quite a few of these, and look forward to many more.

Cheers, Drink Up

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle received in trade from mjgardner - thanks man!

Pours a hazy golden color with a 1 finger fizzy white head that recedes to just a very light covering. Smells well spiced with coriander and the like. Touch of pineapple sort of smell is also there.

Taste is very pleasant. Richly flavored with a lot of spicing - coriander again. Some orange and pineapple-like flavors in the taste. Touch of wheat character too. Lovely.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated, yet keeps a bit of creaminess. Drinkability is excellent.

Highly recommended. A very tasty witbier indeed.

4.41/5  rDev +10.8%

First review so please bare with me.

Bought a 6 pack at my local liquor store in Jersey after reading reviews on this site and wow did not disappoint! Now I am not a beer advocate by any stretch but I have to say this is the best white ale I have ever hade. Nice spicy kick is well blended and not overbearing and it has lots of taste without being overpowering.
Would highly recommend.

Thanks goes out to TheManiacalOne for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
XXII Reserve

Pours a hazy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, tiny fizzy white head, some sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty/yeasty, sour/tangy, some lemon/citrus, and some spice. The taste is mostly sour/tangy, there's a good dose of spicyness. The finish is slightly dry and bitter. Medium body. Drinkable, this is quite different than a usual Witbier, very tasty.

3.13/5  rDev -21.4%

Had a pint of this on tap at the Lighthorse Tavern in Jersey City, NJ. I know it gets high reviews here but, to be honest, I hated it, and had trouble finishing the glass. Appearance was fine for the style, and the aroma was relatively restrained, although a lot of strong, dry spices were a bit of a turn off. but I just found the spicing and detergent-like lemon in the flavour to be waaay overpowering. The coriander practically blew my head off, and was only emphasized by the overcarbonation. I like a standard witbier now and again, but perhaps 'doubling' it is overkill?

3.64/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured into my Witte tumbler. The aroma is great. It is like an amplified version of a standard witbier. Huge mouthwatering citrus aroma with a soft, strong, and round yeast smell. The head is retentive and perfectly white. The beer is a saturated shade of pale yellow with big orange chunks of shit convecting around the glass. The taste is more bold than I had expected. Sharp citrus bite followed by a smooth and creamy, almost vanilla like malt. There is a strange tartness to this beer that I have never tasted in a witbier before. Honestly I'm not to wild about that aspect. The mouthfeel is creamy with a dry touch from the tart flavor.

This is almost like a mix of a Berliner Weissbier.

Double White Ale from Southampton Publick House