Double White Ale | Southampton Publick House

publick.com

Style: Witbier

Added by Todd on 05-07-2003

Ratings: 1,121 |  Reviews: 633

A: Cloudy soft golden body... thin white foam head... moderate lacing...

S: Lovely lemon, orange, coriander aromas... some yeast for extra character

T: Slightly bolder than most witbiers... orange and lemon rally shines... its almost as if a fresh lemon was floating in the glass...

M: Light body... crisp.. refreshing... invigorating

D: A very solid effort from Southampton will have me ready for warmer weather.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Served up in a pint, looks like a nice wheat ale. Cloudy hay with a small head. Nose is typical yeasty wheat and citrus spice, but with a slight kick of sweeter orchard fruits. Tastes true to style, and some of the alcohol comes through. Seems to compliment the beer. Nice bubbly mouth feel with a finishing zing. Quite quaffable.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured a sunny yellow cloud with decent head. The smell was as of oranges,spices and yeast. It tasted spicy with a zesty orange zing that calmed down after warming up. It had the right amount of carbonation and just enough hops. This was a good beer and one I shall buy more often,even the Mrs. liked it. It felt spicy and yeasty but also mildly fruity.

Overall this buy is worth the bang for the buck. I poured it into a Wheat beer glass and I really enjoyed it.

Note: Let it warm up a bit before serving.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Cloudy golden yellow in color, thin white head. Looks like apple cider. Some sediment at the bottom of the glass. Some lacing.

Smells musty & of light fruit, apple, white grapes, orange, cinnamon, spice. Alcohol comes through.

Taste- Mouthful of full flavor, hops, orange, nutmeg & spices. Fruit balances out the hops nicely. Tingles on my tongue. Finishes with a tangy orange that hits the sides of my tongue and lingers in my mouth.

Full mouthfeel, nicely carbonated. Very drinkable, tingling mouthfeel mellows out & becomes yeasty as I near the bottom of the glass. This is probably the best witbier I've had so far, very hearty & flavorful!

Just to add...
I went for a second one of these and had a hard time doing it...this beer packs a punch with flavor and abv!

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz, single bottle copped from Super Saver in Somerville for $2.00...
Pours a hazy, cloudy, murky, golden-white appearance, honey-colored with a minimal frothy head that left a negligent amount of lacing...
Sweet, lemon and lime aroma with obvious citrus nuances...
Strong, powerful, glowing Witbier taste - at 7%, more alcoholic and tough than your usual, run-of-the-mill Witbier, added with the crisp, clean, clear, flavor, this was a great representation of the style...
Sweet, citrus and floral taste complemented by a nice dose of sugars and candy with wheat and yeast...
Great, creamy, rich, thick mouthfeel with an equally superb level of drinkablity... well balanced, with a nice touch of flavors on all fronts...
Great stuff from Southampton...
Recommended...

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured a pale golden color from a 12oz bottle into a tulip. A shade darker than Hoegaarden. Huge rocky white head with excellent retention. Tons of foamy lace left down the side of the glass. Scattered fine yeast sediment. Lots of small bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Beautiful, I'm really loving the look of this and giving this a rare 5.0.

Smells like juicy fruit. Some nice yeasty belgian hints and grassy hops. Sweetness and alchohol not apparent. Citrusy, light flavor. Very effervescent and light. Alcohol not apparent on the palate. High alcohol content for a Witbier, but very drinkable.

I'm really surprisingly blown away by this beer as I'm not a huge fan of Witbiers. Very cool idea - a double Witbier. I see a few other breweries have high gravity Witbiers. I definitley will have to try more of this variety. Very easy to drink despite high ABV - even my wife who never likes anything over 5.0 ABV loved this.

3.3/5  rDev -16.5%

Update 5/1/08** I tried this beer again on draft and it was much better. Clearly the bottle I reviewed below had gone sour. Definitely do not keep thisbeer around in your fridge, drink it as soon as possible! I definitely think its probably obtained fresher on draft though. I still prefer Southampton's Saison to the Double Wit.
---
Opened the 22 oz. bottle I had bought my sister for Christmas, who accidently left it in my parents' fridge when she went back to Richmond! Realizing that nobody was going to drink it, I dutifully opened it tonight before it went bad.

Well it probably already went bad. It is a clear light golden straw color, very fizzy, with no head. Looks like fizzy Corona.

It smells funky and tart, sour even. I smell nothing pleasant in this beer except a hint of coriander. There's definitely no orange peel present in the nose or taste!

This beer tastes like a cheap italian white wine, very sour and unpalatable. Nothing witlike about it. No bitterness at all and all booze.

I definitely won't be buying this hyped up beer again but Southampton's Saison is excellent so I recommend that instead.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

From my homey NCVBC
L:Tiny white little bubbles that disappear quickly. A deliscious golden straw color. Insanely cloudy making it hard to see through.
S: a faint lemon right on first smell. Just a touch of honey sweetness follows up with spice and hops. A mustiness is also present(but in a good way)
T: That mustiness comes through in a farmhouse lemon taste. Like dusty lemons. Just a tiny bit of honey. On the end the spice mixes in with the lemon.
M:A sharp tiny bubble fizziness.
D:Good. I really like the summertime lemonade refreshing aspect of this beer.

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a cloudy yellow color with a pure white head, and has a spicy aroma including coriander, clove, orange peel and a hint of banana.

The spices are full in the flavor, and combine with a bit of yeastiness and muffled bitterness. It is exactly what I expect a white to be, and is quite refreshing!

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Poured a hazy golden color with a white head

S - Is of wheat, spice, and citrus scents

T - The spice flavors are the first thing that you notice backed up with some citrus notes

M - This is a fairly light beer with good carbonation

D - This is a very easy to drink beer and because of the abv you have to watch out its easy to drink this one too fast

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

Served on tap in a pint glass in Southwestern Connecticut.

Appearance is dark smokey honey with a medium sized white head.

Smell is of caramel and pine flavors, very pleasant.

Mouthfeel is extremely nice, one of the best beers out of New York, period.

Drinkability is high, excellent beer, a little spice, but still very eeasy to drink.

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz bottle poured into a SA glass

A: light straw and cloudy with a fairly thin white head and that doesn't last long.

S: spicy, coriander, oranges and wheat. I'm picking up some funkiness.

T: citrus, oranges,spices and brine

M: tart, effervescent and crisp with a medium body. also slight alcohol warming

D: very nice beer. I could drink a few

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Intitially pours a clear golden color with moderate carbonation, when the yeast is swirled in, the beer turns into lovely hazy opaque-gold brew. Absolutley gorgeous WhitBier. Retains a slight 1 finger head.
Big on the sour aroma notes, sour apple, yeast, grassy, wheats, smells like a wild fermented thing, beautiful!
Taste is creamier than expected. Very malty, very creamy, great mouthfeel, flavors of tart apricot, yeast,on the sweeter side of orange, coriander coming through.What an amazing whit, I am floored by this American offering, great balance of flavor,abv, and mouthfeel. very fulfilling and highly drinkable.

From a beer of the month club

A - cloudy, golden, white head that dissipates somewhat quickly

S - citrus, wheat malt

T - citrus really comes through, some sweetness up front, finishes nice and sour

M - light bodied, nice carbonation

D - not knowing a thing about this beer going into it I must say that I enjoy it. It hides the alcohol quite well and is very refreshing. As someone else noted, I'd love to have one during the summer. Not my favorite style, but I'm really enjoying this right now. Would drink again.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Hazy lemon color with moderate fluffy white head.

S: sour lemons on nose balanced with a creamy wheaty aroma .

T: Nice spicy lemons and sour oranges for flavor with a decent tartness. Leaves a nice sour coating on the tongue. Spicing was not as complex as one hopes per style.

M: Creamy mouthful with some bananas.

D: Good attempt for style but falls short in comparsion to other belgian wits

Thanks to ncvbc for this extra, I’ve really been looking forward to this one for quite some time.

Pours a light yellow color, similar to pineapple juice, with about a quarter inch of foam which quickly settles to a ring. A little stir brings some more foam back to life.

First I pick up scents of orange, wheat malt, lemony coriander, yeast, and a mix of citrus.
Some more fruits like pears, spicy apples, and a little bit of green banana.

The taste is quite good, and I wish had this one during the summer. There’s sweet malt flavor upfront with hints of orange, lemon and coriander. The finish is dry and just slightly bitter. Also, I taste a little salt and sourness.

Well carbonated and very refreshing.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: Light amber, cloudy tone to it, typical of witbier. It had a small head when poured into a pint glass.

Smell: Very citrusy blend with some bread-like overtones. Very sweet and pleasant to smell.

Taste: This witbier had an interesting taste. While there was the usual orange and lemon flavoring, there were hints of spices like coriander.

Mouthfeel: This had a nicely carbonated feeling, with the fruity nature of the beer giving it a nice bite.

The Southampton is definitely a drinkable beer, though I don't know if it's quite in the same strata as others of this ilk.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A--Golden yellow color. Weak head. Leaves no lace. Kind of dark for a witbier.

S--yeasty, clove and some perfume like smell. Almost rose water.

T--Clove up front with definite alcohol taste and burn. Some hop flavor but a bubblegum taste washes it away.

M--Thick. Oily.

D--Not very tasty or refreshing. A little too many uncomplimentary flavors going on. I'll pass.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from the bottle to a hazy lemony-yellow, with a tint of orange and a thick white pillowy head that lingers thru mid-glass and leaves very good lacing. Aroma is a very strong, very pleasant mixture of clove and corriander spices, bananas and sugar cookie dough. Mouthfeel is tingly, due to the spices and the flavor is a very pleasant continuation of the nose, all leading to a long, well-rounded finish.

I had this beer on a cold night recently in DC and really enjoyed it. It would have to even be better on a hot summer day in ATL.

2.8/5  rDev -29.1%

Very clear and un-cloudy for a white, much less a "double white." A pale yellow color with a little white head. Smells of coriander and citrus. This is my first time trying this, so I'm not sure if this is a bad bottle, but it has some common Belgian white flavors, but all underpinned by a noticeable lambic-like flavor that borders on vinegar. I'm not sure because it isn't an outright vinegar flavor, but has some complexity in it, like a white sparkling wine. I'll try again later.

4.64/5  rDev +17.5%

Southhampton is quickly becoming a favorite of mine with their solid Belgian offerings.

This brew poured a cloudy, lemon-yellow color with a small, frothy white head. Peering through the glass, I spy the micro-sediment dancing through the visible carbonation. The somewhat smaller head is persistent and is easily revitalized with a swirl of the glass.

Sweet aromatic wheat, funky earthy yeast, black pepper, coriander, lemon zest and orange fill the nose. Woah! This just might be the most complex, aromatic witbier to ever grace my nose. No alcohol to be detected but the higher gravity certainly helps get all the nuances out.

As I press the glass to my lips, I perceive a sweetness that is quickly quelled by bready wheat. The funky, tart, almost-sour yeast takes over next followed by a subtle spice profile. Zesty lemon, black pepper, citrus peel and coriander flavors give this beer great depth without becoming too overpowering. A sweet, tart finish leaves the palate thirsty for more. Again, no sign of booze in the flavor but the flavors are certainly more poignant with the higher gravity.

The aggressive carbonation gives this beer a soda-like quality. Perhaps the only thing that I would change would be to decrease the bubbles and increase the body. I'm totally nitpicking here though!

With the well masked alcohol, light body and glorious flavors, I could easily drink several of these in a session. Southhampton has done a wonderful job with this brew and I plan to revisit again soon!

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Relatively hazy light golden/yellow under a finger deep white head. No lace, good retention.

S: Citrus dominated with some other fruity notes. Lemony zest, some hints of orange. Bubblegum makes an appearance, along with some peppery spice.

T: Fruity up front with, some hints of bubble gum, finishing in a crisp refreshing citrus character with some hints of hops on the back of the tongue.

M/D: Clean crisp light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. 7.00% is invisible and you would be hardpressed to pick this one out of a crowd with traditional witbiers of lower alcohol. Drinkability is excellent and this one could be downed one after another for those out there with a hankering for a good wit.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: cloudy blond, with a moderate, pure white head, with great retention.

Aroma: A mild aroma of coriander, orange, yeast and a bit of lemon.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A dry taste, with orange, coriander, clove lemon, with a pear aftertaste. A creamy and crisp mouthfeel.

Drinkability: An elegant, complex witbier, one that is distinguished from the pack by its dryness, and pear aftertaste. This is certainly one of the best American witbiers.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

I have purchased multiple six packs of this from Brawley's Beverage, but the basis for my review is the bottle I had at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium.

A - Pours a nice pale whitish-yellow color, eventually clouded by the yeasty swirl added with the last third of the bottle. A nice white, two finger head formed on top.

S - Like all good witbiers, this one has that slight doughy smell, accented by citrus.

T - Phenomenal. This beer slid across my tongue with the initial doughy flavors I expected from the nose, but the tartness from the yeast and spices was more interesting and complex then I had imagined. Oh, the citrus accents provided by orange peel and coriander are surely there, but there are hints of berries as well. Wonderfully delicious.

M - Undoubtedly, this is a very refreshing beer. Such smooth characteristics that give way to a lifting carbonation.

D - I could easily drink a few or more of these in one session. The alcohol is very well hidden and affects you just enough to let you know it's there.

Notes - To me, this is the perfect witbier. From top to bottom, it was a treat. I've had it with several meals and my highest recommendation for pairing would be with salad, preferably mixed greens with spinach leaves, maybe blueberries, strawberries, and/or grapes as a tomato substitute and a zesty dressing. Honestly though, it went well with a wide assortment from tortillas w/salsa to bbq spare ribs w/corn on the cob.

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%

The Southampton Double White caught my eye by my local package store's display of current Great American Beer Festival wining beers. I figured if it won in Denver it's got to be good. From the hype (stickers on the cooler) I expected a Double White to blow my mind, but unfortunately that would not be. From the beginning the beer was lackluster. Little to no head, crystal clear appearance, slight to little citrus aroma. The taste was crisp. An initial hint of yeast then the quick blast of citrus and coriander to follow. This was a very refreshing beer I will give it that. But I walk away with this idea that this tastes very much like a typical white or maybe even a weiss that one would find at the bar with a huge slice of lemon floating in it. I don't know... maybe I am just completely blind or uneducated on the whole double white style, and my taste buds have yet to mature to truly grasp the greatness of this beer. I'm sure a panel of judges at the Great American Beer Fest probably know a thing or two more about this style than me, but the Southampton Double White Ale simply didn't move me in the slightest.

Double White Ale from Southampton Publick House