Double White Ale | Southampton Publick House

Added by Todd on 05-07-2003

Ratings: 1,125 |  Reviews: 633
4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Relatively hazy light golden/yellow under a finger deep white head. No lace, good retention.

S: Citrus dominated with some other fruity notes. Lemony zest, some hints of orange. Bubblegum makes an appearance, along with some peppery spice.

T: Fruity up front with, some hints of bubble gum, finishing in a crisp refreshing citrus character with some hints of hops on the back of the tongue.

M/D: Clean crisp light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. 7.00% is invisible and you would be hardpressed to pick this one out of a crowd with traditional witbiers of lower alcohol. Drinkability is excellent and this one could be downed one after another for those out there with a hankering for a good wit.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: cloudy blond, with a moderate, pure white head, with great retention.

Aroma: A mild aroma of coriander, orange, yeast and a bit of lemon.

Taste and Mouthfeel: A dry taste, with orange, coriander, clove lemon, with a pear aftertaste. A creamy and crisp mouthfeel.

Drinkability: An elegant, complex witbier, one that is distinguished from the pack by its dryness, and pear aftertaste. This is certainly one of the best American witbiers.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

I have purchased multiple six packs of this from Brawley's Beverage, but the basis for my review is the bottle I had at Flying Saucer Draught Emporium.

A - Pours a nice pale whitish-yellow color, eventually clouded by the yeasty swirl added with the last third of the bottle. A nice white, two finger head formed on top.

S - Like all good witbiers, this one has that slight doughy smell, accented by citrus.

T - Phenomenal. This beer slid across my tongue with the initial doughy flavors I expected from the nose, but the tartness from the yeast and spices was more interesting and complex then I had imagined. Oh, the citrus accents provided by orange peel and coriander are surely there, but there are hints of berries as well. Wonderfully delicious.

M - Undoubtedly, this is a very refreshing beer. Such smooth characteristics that give way to a lifting carbonation.

D - I could easily drink a few or more of these in one session. The alcohol is very well hidden and affects you just enough to let you know it's there.

Notes - To me, this is the perfect witbier. From top to bottom, it was a treat. I've had it with several meals and my highest recommendation for pairing would be with salad, preferably mixed greens with spinach leaves, maybe blueberries, strawberries, and/or grapes as a tomato substitute and a zesty dressing. Honestly though, it went well with a wide assortment from tortillas w/salsa to bbq spare ribs w/corn on the cob.

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%

The Southampton Double White caught my eye by my local package store's display of current Great American Beer Festival wining beers. I figured if it won in Denver it's got to be good. From the hype (stickers on the cooler) I expected a Double White to blow my mind, but unfortunately that would not be. From the beginning the beer was lackluster. Little to no head, crystal clear appearance, slight to little citrus aroma. The taste was crisp. An initial hint of yeast then the quick blast of citrus and coriander to follow. This was a very refreshing beer I will give it that. But I walk away with this idea that this tastes very much like a typical white or maybe even a weiss that one would find at the bar with a huge slice of lemon floating in it. I don't know... maybe I am just completely blind or uneducated on the whole double white style, and my taste buds have yet to mature to truly grasp the greatness of this beer. I'm sure a panel of judges at the Great American Beer Fest probably know a thing or two more about this style than me, but the Southampton Double White Ale simply didn't move me in the slightest.

4.64/5  rDev +17.5%

Light golden color with with average head when poured in wide circular beer glass. Strong corriander aroma complimented by citrus esters of lemon and orange. Strong corriander flavor with slight but distinguishable hop bitterness. Light body with slight upfront tartness but lingering subtle maltness, perhaps indicative of many Belgium yeasts' distinctive phenolic spice. Soft carbonation with corriander effervescence. Damn good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had so much of this over the summer, but never got to slow down & sit with one till now. $7.99 a six is a real awesome price, given the fact that even the cheapest of the locals, BK & Bluepoint are going $8.99 a pack.

Always finding myself waiting for the head to settle, there are plenty of things out there to kill time. Take a quick nap, reformat your hard drive, carpet your living room, call your mothe... err, just drinking another beer would be fine here.

Even before things settle, I notice a big whiff of sweat, mixed in with some aerosol. A clean sweat, but still noticeably funky. Trying to cover it up, is a mixture of orange juice & lemongrass. Stale church incense sanctifies the mixture. It's funky, but the fruit is trying very hard to grab your attention.

The color is a faded gold, a bland wheat. Floaters cannonball into the pile of sediment at the bottom, stirring things up with every little movement of the glass.

Taste is of sweet orange juice, spicy coriander, & some bitter lemon peel that seals everything else off, accompanied by a bit of dry mouth.

Juicy, effervescent(but not harsh), & thin for the style(which I enjoy).

When Sierra Nevada is a buck more, this is an easy decision. :)

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Another winner from Southampton.

Pours a beautiful carbonated golden yellow like the sun. Beautiful big head.

Smells of orange, citrus, belgian yeasts.

Huge Taste. More of an aftertaste than a body, oranges, tartness, fruity wheat, pepper, excellent beer!

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean and carbonated.

Excellent beer. Never had a double white, but this has to be one of the best.

3.52/5  rDev -10.9%

Compared to other witbiers I’ve had, I’m not sure this one is really "big" enough to be called a "double wit." The only other beer in recent memory that wore that title was the Real Ale Limestone Wit, which somehow seemed fresher, more citrus-y, and spicier than this example. However, it was quite a nice witbier, especially for American examples of this style, which can be over-sweet for my liking.

Appearance was a slightly hazy lemonade color with a good amount of soft white head. Aroma was rather citrus-y, and definitely spicy. Flavor was mostly clove, with some coriander and a nice amount of citrus. Flavor was pleasant, but not over-stated. Mouthfeel was pretty unremarkable, but not bad.

Recommended.

I bought this at Norm’s Beer & Wine in Vienna, VA during a visit there a few months back.

3.56/5  rDev -9.9%

Big head that fades pretty quickly but leaves lots of lacing in its wake. Cloudy as is the style, but rather pale and dingy looking compared to others I've had.

The aroma is huge! Full of yeast and sour citrus; this has all the classic characteristics of a wit except bigger and bolder. Hence the name, I suppose.

Pretty tasty, though a bit heavy on the sour note to be quaffable and far above others in the style.

Could stand a little sharper carbonation, it's a little too creamy and makes the beer feel slicker and heavier than it out to be.

I would drink this, but it's pretty pricey and there are better examples of the style sitting next to it on most shelves. However, if you want a high ABV Wit, I'd point to this one.

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Got this in Asheville on the recommendation of Adam Avery, no less, who claims to love Southampton beers. Alright Adam, here's to ya...
into my cylinder it goes! This one is a cloudy, hazy, pale watery yellow. Big foamy bright white head. Lacy. Lots of suspended particles.
Looks good.

I nose it. Yep... a big celery / coriander wallop. Spicy, yeasty, green apples and citrus. Some sweet tangerine perhaps? This is typical for a wit, but smells fruity and sweet and less vegetal than some. I dig that.

A sip. Woah... this is a lot more tart and sour than I anticipated. Yikes. I'm hit with an eye-opening sour lemon bite, followed quickly by that bizarre spicy celery and grassy, parsley flavor. A bit of orange is present, and some alcohol... I'd guess 7% due to the warmth in my throat (and was proved correct, oddly.) The flavor is just kind of a wallop... think Allagash Wit but "more". It's real lively and hits you fast, but fades to a semi-dry, spicy finish reminiscent of white wine. Can't say I'm loving it, but it's very... unique.

The mouthfeel on this one is finely carbonated, and puffs up in your mouth if you leave it there a moment. Tingles the throat as it goes down. Not bad, good for the style.

Ultimately I just couldn't get past the wild, in your face flavor on this one. I'm not a huge fan of Wit beers (although I admit to liking Hoegaarden) but I do enjoy the refreshing aspect to 'em. Southampton's offering is too big and alcoholic to refresh, and too sharp tasting to be a session beer for me. A good exercise, but if I think Bell's did this style better with their unusual Batch 8,000. Still, worth a try if you like Wits, or want something novel.

4.78/5  rDev +21%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle bought at the local 6 pack shop.

Appearance - Poured a light amber color, very cloudy. Firm 3 finger creamy head with slight coloration really sparked my interest.

Smell - Citrusy smell with slight amount of coriander, decent smell, could be slightly better, but still no complaints

Taste - Great Taste. This beer has lemon, orange, pepper, wheat taste. Very drinkable. Could easily have 7 or 8 or 10 of these, but the 7%abv would be kickin my ass, especially because you really can't taste the abv.

Mouthfeel - Crisp Clean, lots of carbonation, Could maybe have more carbonation though, good all the same.

Drinkability - What can I say, A truly spectacular beer. Had quite a few of these, and look forward to many more.

Cheers, Drink Up

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle received in trade from mjgardner - thanks man!

Pours a hazy golden color with a 1 finger fizzy white head that recedes to just a very light covering. Smells well spiced with coriander and the like. Touch of pineapple sort of smell is also there.

Taste is very pleasant. Richly flavored with a lot of spicing - coriander again. Some orange and pineapple-like flavors in the taste. Touch of wheat character too. Lovely.

Mouthfeel is well carbonated, yet keeps a bit of creaminess. Drinkability is excellent.

Highly recommended. A very tasty witbier indeed.

4.41/5  rDev +11.6%

First review so please bare with me.

Bought a 6 pack at my local liquor store in Jersey after reading reviews on this site and wow did not disappoint! Now I am not a beer advocate by any stretch but I have to say this is the best white ale I have ever hade. Nice spicy kick is well blended and not overbearing and it has lots of taste without being overpowering.
Would highly recommend.

Thanks goes out to TheManiacalOne for this brew.

22oz. Bomber
XXII Reserve

Pours a hazy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, tiny fizzy white head, some sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty/yeasty, sour/tangy, some lemon/citrus, and some spice. The taste is mostly sour/tangy, there's a good dose of spicyness. The finish is slightly dry and bitter. Medium body. Drinkable, this is quite different than a usual Witbier, very tasty.

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Had a pint of this on tap at the Lighthorse Tavern in Jersey City, NJ. I know it gets high reviews here but, to be honest, I hated it, and had trouble finishing the glass. Appearance was fine for the style, and the aroma was relatively restrained, although a lot of strong, dry spices were a bit of a turn off. but I just found the spicing and detergent-like lemon in the flavour to be waaay overpowering. The coriander practically blew my head off, and was only emphasized by the overcarbonation. I like a standard witbier now and again, but perhaps 'doubling' it is overkill?

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured into my Witte tumbler. The aroma is great. It is like an amplified version of a standard witbier. Huge mouthwatering citrus aroma with a soft, strong, and round yeast smell. The head is retentive and perfectly white. The beer is a saturated shade of pale yellow with big orange chunks of shit convecting around the glass. The taste is more bold than I had expected. Sharp citrus bite followed by a smooth and creamy, almost vanilla like malt. There is a strange tartness to this beer that I have never tasted in a witbier before. Honestly I'm not to wild about that aspect. The mouthfeel is creamy with a dry touch from the tart flavor.

This is almost like a mix of a Berliner Weissbier.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy yellow filled with tiny bubbles of carbonation, two fingers of rocky white head that stick around for a long time, leaving nice big lacing on the glass. Nose is spicy with coriander, hints of citrus fruit, solid scent of wheat, and a whiff of yeast. Taste starts out with lemon and orange cream, leads to a big doughy dose of wheat malt, and finishes with a lingering spiciness mingled with a bit of lemon tart. Very nice tasting. Mouthfeel is medium with a nice active yet smooth carbonation. Great tasting witbier, one of the best I've ever had, and wonderfully drinkable considering the above average ABV.

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle into glass. Great looking cloudy, straw color, frothy white head. Flavor is orange and coriander, some spices there, but not overpowering, just enough to enjoy. Nice finish. Easy to drink. By far my favorite Witbier, always a case on hand in my house.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

A hazy pale yellow pour with lively bubbles of carbonation and a foamy white head. Smells slightly of citrus and grains. Subdued spices as well. Taste is great. An excellent blend of many things that never falls apart. Tart citrus, mild spices, orange, lemon, pepper. A crisp mouthfeel that does well thanks to the carbonation. Very clean and a little dry to finish. Great drinkability. No way you could see this as a Double version of what it represents. I split a sixer of this with a friend a few weeks back and had to pick up another single just so I could take a few notes. Quite a wonderful beer and definitely a new one to add to my list of favorites.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Recieved this 12oz bottle as part of BIF Summer Sipper 2007.

Pours a hazy yellow color with some yeasty flecks floating about. White head settles fairly quickly. Aroma is mainly sweet citrusy notes with some faint spicyness. Taste is a pleasing blend of peppery spice and sweet/sour citrus. Mouthfeel is quite good indeed. Smooth, slightly fizzy, alot less harsh than I was expecting.My favorite wit so far. Drinkability is very high. Would be very easy to drink a couple of these 12oz bottles, and i might just pick up some more, if I can find it.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a nice hazy straw yellow with a nice frothy head that diminishes to a thin layer and leaves spotty lacing on the glass. Aroma is a nice blend of bubblegum, sweet fruits and mild citrus hops, quite fragrant. The taste is a nice blend of sweet fruits, spices and bubblegum. The beer is slightly heavy bodied with nice warming alcohol. This is without a doubt one of the best witbiers I've ever had. If I'm in the mood for the style, this will be one to seek out.

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%

I picked this one up from the shelves and cooled it to about 50 for consumption. The color is incredible for a wit of "double gravity", being just slightly darker then your average wit. This beer would have perfect clarity if not for the yeast presence. The beer forms a nice white head with just enough staying power to hang in for the whole 22oz.

The aroma is fantastic with the sweetness of Belgian yeast, malt, orange, and light corriander. The aroma is my favorite aspect of this beer.

My first sip was a complete shocking burst of citrusy tartness. Spiciness lingers, and it finishes rather clean, leaving me ready for another sip. After the first few sips, the coriander shines through more. The tartness continues to accentuate the wheat malt. After pouring the last 6 ounces into my glass, the yeast adds a light peppery flavor that for me really makes this a great beer.

Mouthfeel seems a tad thick at first, probably due to the high OG, but still finished rather dry.

I consider this beer very drinkable. Its one of those beers that seems to get better with every sip. The high alcohol is not very apparent, and 2 of these 22oz bottles might accidentally lead to drinking 2 more.

I will buy this one again as it really introduced me to what can be done with a white ale.

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into a traditional pint glass.

Beer has aged for about a year, possibly more. Hopefully this review won't be scathing towards the beer.

Appearance- Pretty amber for a white beer. A light amber, but amber all the same, with a huge white head (5+ finger) with gray highlights for some strange reason (yeast?). Head dissapates after a reasonable amount of time to a fine foam across the top.

Smell- Lemony citrus with a hint of corriander and a trace of farmhouse funk? I don't think this beer has entirely turned, but it may have started to. I'm sure they didn't intend for this white beer to be aged. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell when/if this beer is out of date.

Taste- Orange, corriander, lemon, pepper, wheat, yeast. This beer has not turned after all. I have had one that was sour. Apparently this one has come thru just fine. A drying finish.

Mouthfeel- Crisp and clean with good carbonation levels. I can see why this is a highly rated witbeer. Light bodied and enjoyable.

Drinkability- This is where this big beer shines. High alcohol levels that are nearly undetectible. Light and refreshing and begs for more to be drank. I could see buying a 6 pack of this. A fine beer for the summertime (or the end of summer in this case).

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Nice traditional wit. Pale straw color in presentation; somewhat cloudy. Poured with a nice head and continued to effervesce through the tasting. Some lacing that continued to adhere to the glass during consumption. Mild slightly yeasty smell. Very enjoyable taste. Nice spices stimulate the taste buds while in the mouth. Taste of coriander lingers at the finish. Very enjoyable and drinkable. Not as overpowering as Hoegaarden at the finish.

a: Typical golden-white color of a white, maybe a little more pale than most. Wispy, persistent white head.

s: Pretty standard wit aroma, but definitely well done. Clean wheat malts with bready yeasts and of course coriander and orange. Definitely some citrus, particularly lemon.

m: Lively carbonation and a nice body on the lighter side of medium.

t: Pretty interesting. A start of wit orange and coriander flavors on a wheat malt backbone. Flavors of citrus and light yeast. Dries very quickly after the swallow to leave a clean palate with some lingering spice. Almost tart in a way.

d: easy