Crossbow Scottish Ale | Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by Thrasher on 03-21-2004

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
4.05/5  rDev n/a

Just had this at the Knob Hill location, it is their latest seasonal. It is listed on their happy hour menu at 6.4%. Seeing that other review is several years old, and reading how it was a bit lacking, I suspect they cranked up the malt bill a good bit for the version I had.
Poured in an imperial pint glass, the Crossbow is a ruddy, deep garnet, which at first glance appears hazy, although holding it to the light, I can see that it is in fact clear. There was only a slight, tan head that didn't leave any lace.
The aroma started out very muted, but as it warmed, opened up, revealing very sweet malt, mainly caramel and bread.
The taste was uncommonly smooth. Well, I guess maybe not for better executed examples of this style, but I suppose I don't get to drink them as often as I'd like. Hard to believe this is from a NW brewery, so subtle and understated, very nicely done. The taste of course is all about the malt, not nearly as sweet as the aroma, still bready, but more nutty then caramel. Nothing hitting you over the head, just very smooth and clean and malty. If they'd had told me the ABV as 4.4%, I wouldn't have doubted them.
The mouthfeel is fairly light and creamy. Very nice.
The drinkablity was very hight for me. Didn't have the time for more then 1 pint, but I could have drank these all day and enjoyed every sip.

2.85/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured a deep reddish brown, with smallish head disappearing after a short time. This beer initially reminded me of Pyramid's Tilted Kilt, a beer I hated, but this was not nearly as offensive. Still, I found it lacking. A big blast of sweet sugary malt with lots of caramel and hints of shortbread, brown sugar, and roasted nuts. Only a trace of hops is evident, a teeny grass crispness, but there should be more, to counteract the cloying quality and provide a finish that doesn't go on and on with its sweetness. Mouthfeel a bit thin and characteristic of Laurelwood's clean, filtered beers. I like this brewpub a lot, but this beer didn't do it for me.

Crossbow Scottish Ale from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery