Holy Grail Abbey Ale | Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

Liked:
2.32/5
Alströms:

2.32/5  rDev 0%

Laurelwood has been the recent recipient of more World Beer Cup medals than I can count. There are actually more WBC medals on display behind the bar than beers on tap. It’s great to see my local brewer earning top honors and I honestly share some pride for them. But why is it they serve such great beers to WBC judges and can’t seem to pour a good for me when I stop in for a pint?

Case in point – Holy Grail Abbey Ale, a summer seasonal in the Belgian tradition. The imperial pint I was served was distressingly flat with no lace, no head, and virtually no carbonation at all. Regardless of the technical specifications this style may or may not aspire to, my Holy Grail simply lacked vitality. The brew was a dark oaken color with a slight malt flavor woven to a thread of clove and nutmeg. But the flavor was dilute, the aroma distant and indistinct, and the mouthfeel was terse and astringent. The Holy Grail was ultimately exhausted, strained and old.

Perhaps someday this brew will be served under optimized conditions to World Beer judges who will honor it with glowing awards. Meanwhile it would behoove the Laurelwood to treat its customers with equal reverence and respect.

Holy Grail Abbey Ale from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery