Workhorse IPA | Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

Oregon, United States
laurelwoodbrewpub.com

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerZack on 03-30-2008

This is a fantastic IPA. It is exactly what I look for in a great IPA. Hoppy with some citrus yet drinkable. So good can't get much better than this!

A- Copper/orange without much foam

S-Hoppy//piney/citrus tones that quell the hop tones

T-Tastes almost exactly as it smells, upfront hop tones quickly dulled by pine and citrus tones, very drinkable, I honestly don't taste much malt in this beer, mild malty tones lost somewhere in the hops/citrus, but I do enjoy it very much.

M-Sort of dry, the right amount of bubbley, I dig it

O-I have a special place in my heart for the Laurelwood Workhorse IPA, they've just recently began bottling it into 6 packs. This beer has an amazing hop complex with a perfect piney/citrus balance... I've honestly never tasted a beer that stacks up. Perhaps it's the fact that I live really close to brewery and drink them as they've just finished brewing, but damn, this is one FINE beer. Laurelwood has outdone themselves with this amazing beer, highly recommended.

A: hazy burnt orange amber colored body; a finger's worth of head is about all and dies at a nice pace leaving a nice foamy clingy lacing

S: sweet / bitter grapefruit, pine, floral scents through the hops, malts do present themselves but it really takes a while

T: bright sweet citrus aftertaste and a dry citrus yet piney finish, sweet citrus and pine with some nice floral notes

M: light to medium, somewhat sessionable and leaves a nice bitter harshness

O: This is the beer that I prefer to drink every single day. Every time I have something different or the store is out I'm reluctant to purchase anything else because nothing compares. There are many # 2's but this is my #1.

Workhorse is a true West Coast IPA, featuring over-the-top hop flavor and aroma. Three separate dry hop additions in the fermenter make this one of our hoppiest beers to date.
7.5% ALC by Volume.

A- Bright orange with a frothy sitcky head. Heavy lacing down the whole glass.

S- Smells like it tastes! Huge hop aroma. Sweet grapefruit, orange and tangerine.

T- Citrus! Grapefruit, Tangerine dominate. It's extremely well balanced, and the alcohol is deftly concealed.

M- Sweet and dry up front with a oily hoppy bitterness in the end.

Overall- Overall: A truly masterful example of fine brewing skill. IMO, this is the holy grail for hopheads. From talking to the brewers, this beer is made with Amarillo, Simcoe, and Centennial hops. I've had just about every IPA in Portland. The Workhorse is probably the best IPA in town.

This is just an outstanding IPA. Extremely well-balanced and has a complexity that leads the pack for the IPA style. One of the best.

Best IPA I Have ever had!

4.99/5  rDev +19.4%

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

4.89/5  rDev +17%

I'm lucky enough to live very close to this brewery and get keg after keg for my personal pub.

The pour is a beautiful murky gold and the citrus overtones are amazing. You get that strong hoppy taste without it being too bitter and a nice citrus finish. This is by far my favorite IPA coming out of the Portland area at this time. I will say the head is thicker than I'd usually prefer but I think it's more a result of my poor kegging skills than the beer itself. I've messed with CO2 with no luck. In any event, Workhorse has been a staple in my house and will continue to be until something better comes along.

4.85/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.85/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of the premier IPA's out there. For less than $5 a bomber, this is a steal!

It has all of the characteristics of a great IPA: super grapefruit, spruce needles, tropical fruit, and floral notes accompany biscuit malts to make up the ideal IPA.

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Workhorse IPA from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery