Double Hefeweizen | Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

laurelwoodbrewpub.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by John_M on 11-09-2008

3.35/5  rDev 0%

Had this on tap last summer at the NE Sandy Blvd. Laurelwood in Portland, Oregon. The colour was golden straw with no head. The aroma was floral with some faint spice and butyl esters. On the palate, light hops started things off then I got a hit of Juicy Fruit, apricot, peach and medium length and slightly sweet finish.

3.36/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the PDX airport. The bartender informed me it is a seasonal "double" hefeweizen, whatever that means. However, I double checked the website, and sure enough she was right. I gather the double notation is a nod to the higher then normal alcohol in this wheat.

The beer pours a hazy golden orange with fairly good head retention and lacing. There's some tartness and spice on the nose, but not much. On the palate, the only thing unusual about this hefe is that the beer has a considerable amount of hoppy bitterness. Otherwise, it's very wheaty, tasting very much like an American wheat beer with none of the spice one normally finds in a good German hefe. The beer is pleasant, but is nothing exciting. Aside from the wheat flavor, there is hint of tartness. That's about it. The beer has a somewhat heavier then normal mouthfeel, which I gather is due to the abv. Drinkability is OK, I just wish there was more to this beer. Frankly, it reminds me very much of the Widmer hefe, but with a bit more richness and alcohol. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but it's just not what I was looking for.

Double Hefeweizen from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery