Duncan's Weizen | Laurelwood Public House & Brewery

laurelwoodbrewpub.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by John_M on 08-23-2010

3.18/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the NW public house today. Was told this beer was named after the owner's dog.

The beer pours a slightly hazy gold color with fairly good head retention and light lacing. Really don't get much on the nose, and considering how this beer is described (lots of banana, clove, etc.), I was a bit disappointed. There is some light "wheatiness," and a hint of clove and light lemon, and that's really about it. The beer is really not much better on the palate, though I do get a bit of the tartness the menu suggests should be evident. Otherwise, I get more wheat and a hint of hoppy bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is light and a bit watery, and it's pretty apparent that the alcohol is not very high in this beer (which normally would be a plus). While that's fine, there is so little flavor to this beer, it's hard to call it very drinkable.

This is the second or third wheat beer I've had from Laurelwood, and I've yet to be impressed by any of them. While it's clear the brewer has a knack when it comes to making IPA's and DIPA's, I really can't say the same when it comes to wheat beers. Mehhhh....

Duncan's Weizen from Laurelwood Public House & Brewery