Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American IPA

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother of an ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg Bopping around India and the sub-continent.

This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create a devastating explosion of flavour. Steel yourself for Kalashnikov bursts of caramel, incendiary tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, before a spiky bitter finish.

This is quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist. Turn up the volume. Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, pimped up Maharajah of Pale Ales.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Added by bark on 11-02-2007

Ratings: 1,841 |  Reviews: 566

1.15/5  rDev -70.1%

1.36/5  rDev -64.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Bought a selection of Brewdog Beers and am singularly disappointed. This like its partner Dead Pony is quite simply a pretentious beer aimed at the yuppy or hipster "this is cool" market. I will admit I am old school in so much I like my beer to taste of hops' malts' coupled with the water area over the modern fruity smell/taste offerings but this is bad. If you like your drink to taste of tinned fruit then this is the 'beer' for you.

1.51/5  rDev -60.7%

Poured from a 22.4oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright yellow color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, citrus, some hops and an odd metallic odor.

T: The taste is boozy up front with an alcohol sting followed by sweet flavors of citrus and caramel. There's a decent hops presence but it's on the weak side for the style. The malt character is thin and there's very little balance. The after-taste is mediciney and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not tasty or flavorful, does not go down easily, not too filling, decent kick, not a good representation of style, I didn't find anything appealing about this beer at all and would not recommend it.

1.75/5  rDev -54.4%

A: Pours a medium golden color with very little fizzy white head and no lace down the glass.
S: Slight amount of floral hops and thats about all.
T: Taste is rather astringent, the hops that were used did not taste pleasant to me at all. No balance at all here. Had a sour aftertaste...maybe it was the astringent taste making my tastebuds pucker up??
M: Medium bodied, a little light on the carbonation.
D: A little balance would be nice here...way to astringent. Very subpar IPA.

1.75/5  rDev -54.4%

1.77/5  rDev -53.9%

If you are a Hop head, just know I didn't buy this one and move on. It's no secret that IPAs are a style I do not enjoy, so I'll try to be as fair as possible.

Appearance: Pale yellow and cloudy, like near hefe cloudy with very little carbonation in the body. The pour produced not even half a finger of head, which did sustain but did not lace.

Smell: It's an IPA, what do you think I smell? Hops, Earthy Hops with pine and grapefruit notes. I guess I shouldn't rate it low, because it is an IPA, but you know what, I don't think a touch of malt or fruit or something else besides Hops is unreasonable. Even the hops themselves seem to lack variety.

Taste: After having a couple sips, this has made me weary. It starts with a mild hay taste and a touch of Grapefruit, then it immediately destroyed by bitter earthy hops with a kick of pine. The only thing that stops this from a 1 is that I'm trying to play lip service to the style. Just nothing here appeals to me.

Mouthfeel: Well points get deducted for the lack of head, and the carbonation only comes forth on the hops, which I suppose was the intention, even if I dislike it. The aftertaste is bitter earthy hops with pine notes and lingers for too long and leaves the mouth dry. The abrupt transitioning isn't nice either.

Drinkability: Well the carbonation isn't excessive and it's light bodied. However, like most IPAs it's dry and not very refreshing. The excessive bitterness makes drinking this seem more like a chore then a pleasurable hobby.

Final Thoughts: I suppose I am doing a disservice by reviewing a style I inherently don't like, but Corne du Diable was a lot better then this. There just isn't anything here I want to drink. It tastes more like hop oil mixed with beer, rather then a beer itself. Even though I don't like the style, I can't say I'm looking to drink another offering from Brewdog.

1.88/5  rDev -51%

If this beer was labeled a pale ale it might have received higher marks, but not much higher. However, this beer is labeled an "American IPA." As an American and someone who really likes IPA's I feel very offended.

The aroma is identical to your average pale ale. There were none of the piney or citrus hop-imparted aromas I expected. No yeast aroma as well.

The beer pours light gold (honestly, think Miller Lite) and slightly cloudy. It kind of has the appearance of something between a pale ale and a wheat beer but there is very little carbonation and consequently little or no head.

Mouth feel is similar to cold, flat beer (no exageration here). Taste is slightly sour with all "flavor" reserved for the back end.

This was easliy the worst craft beer experience I've ever had. The only good thing I can take away from this is that the bomber only cost $6... and now I know why.

1.96/5  rDev -49%

Looks OK at first decent amber colour with small frothy white head
BUT unfortunately leaves soapy lacing

Smell is very dry very bitter of earwax hops

Taste is very bitter and unpleasantly dry - not a nice hop mixture either

Mouthdfeel is OK at first but leaves an unpleasant coating

Well is this drinkable?

1.99/5  rDev -48.2%

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into an Irish pub style (real) pint glass, in low altitude Galway, Ireland, on September 19th, 2010. Pours a cloudy gold and a four finger head that retains well (doesn't even reduce for three minutes). Head is of moderate thickness and a bit creamy. Of average appeal.

Smell: A weak smell of musty esters, hard to detect with my broken nose.

Taste: A bland and off-balance body with a warm golden note of mild hops and a note of typical IPA bitterness, followed by my favourite part - the creamy-crisp finish. I'd like to see the bitterness better balanced with the finish. This IPA doesn't try to do much with the non-bitter notes and as a result it's built poorly for an IPA.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a refreshing finish. A bit too wet on the opening. Overcarbonated.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have another, especially at this price point. It's an uninspired IPA compared to what else is available.

Poured really pale straw, looking watered-down. No head despite a hard pour.

Smelled like Swedish dishsoap, some floral hops, little else.

Mouthfeel is slick, with lower than average carbonation.

Taste is watered-down, but extremely astringent--like chewing tylenol.

Despite the junky text on the side claiming that they both want to hear what I think and also don't care if I like this beer, I didn't enjoy anything beyond the label design. This is not punk, this is not IPA. This is great marketing and bad beer.

2.1/5  rDev -45.3%

Pint served in an imperial pint glass at the Bow Bar in Edinburgh

A - I was expecting something more creamy and cloudy like deuchars. This was pale golden with a thin crown of foam on top. Beading lively.

S- Some floral notes, not a lot of sweetness coming through. Grapefruits and lemons.

T- I nearly cried it was so sour and bitter. Astrigent and abrasive in its citric, grapefruity, lemony nature. I found this stuff hard to swallow!

M- Medium carbonation, couldnt say much else as i wasnt exactly savouring it.

D- If this is american IPA, you are welcome to it. Not a pleasure to drink at all, cloying, abrasive and sour. No thanks!

2.11/5  rDev -45.1%

Pours golden yellow with a thin soapy head.

Aroma is vegetal, with a mild caramel base.

Taste is pale and caramel malt. Light citrus character, notably lemon grass. Finish has a light earthy bitterness and a touch of vague spice.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

Overall, a rather unimpressive IPA. Very little hops, with a broad rather bland flavor lacking punch.

2.2/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured from a 22.4 oz bomber into a pint glass. Noticed upon pouring that the best before date is 7/7/09. Probably should've checked that before I bought it...hopefully it hasn't lost too much at this point.

A - Pours a hazy, pale orangish-yellow color with a pretty thin, white head that recedes to a minimal cap fairly quickly.

S - Has a yeast-forward aroma with a somewhat of an earthy, musty quality. Also has some citrus(mostly lemon) and slightly spicy hop aromas.

T - Fairly mellow citrus, mostly lemon hop flavors mix with yeasty breadiness. Slight sweet caramel flavors in the background. Mild bitterness in the finish and aftertaste. Really pretty unimpressed with the flavors here, especially for an "American IPA." Quite bland overall and more yeast flavor than any IPA I've ever tried.

M - Medium bodied with VERY minimal carbonation. Almost tastes flat. Very unappealing.

D - I did not really enjoy this beer at all. I hope, and assume, that it is due to the best by date being tomorrow. I really wish that I had checked the date before I bought this one, because it has not been enjoyable whatsoever. I might have to revisit a fresher bottle of this one of these days and see how it compares, because I am fairly sure this one is far from its prime.

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

2.32/5  rDev -39.6%

Personal taste but this one is not for me

2.4/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured a flat yellow with a light bubbly head.

The smell was flat.

The taste was very week and one dimensional. No malt just a long dry bitter hopiness, lacking the citrus and pine goodness found in most hoppy beers.

The mouthfeel is very watery with a bit of oilyness.

A very subpar IPA.

2.41/5  rDev -37.2%

Well, I actually kinda wanted to like this. My first brewdog review (though I've had their brews on a few other occasions). Alas, twas not to be.

Pours a gold, orange-ish yellow. Big white sudsy foam. Bottle poured out everywhere, even though it had been quietly sitting in a fridge for a day or two.

Smells like acrid, medicinal hops with ... with ... yeah.

Taste is strangely dry. Toasty, dry, almost like an ESB moreso than an IPA. But, a really, really bitter ESB. No real citrus, just pine, medicinal herbs, and a cracker-y dryness to it.

Eh. Did not care for it.

2.48/5  rDev -35.4%