Punk IPA | BrewDog

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American IPA

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother of an ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg Bopping around India and the sub-continent.

This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create a devastating explosion of flavour. Steel yourself for Kalashnikov bursts of caramel, incendiary tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, before a spiky bitter finish.

This is quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist. Turn up the volume. Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, pimped up Maharajah of Pale Ales.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Added by bark on 11-02-2007

Ratings: 1,811 |  Reviews: 559
2.25/5  rDev -40%

3.67/5  rDev -2.1%

The smell is fruity and hoppy, though a bit sweet to be really inviting. The bottle has a great design, though the beer is pretty standard in terms of colour and frothyness.

The first time I tried this I was really surprised, as it was very different to other beers I have had. Without doubt the primary flavour is peach, combined with heavy hops and apricot. Somehow it works, the sweet fruityness and bitter hops really combine to form a taste sensation that is definitely a sensation.

For me this is an outstanding, creative, unique beer. The opposite of Heineken.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

2.74/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a hazy golden color. There's a one finger white-colored head, but it has poor retention. Lacing is decent enough, though.

S: I'm not sure how fresh this is (because IPA from Scotland), but it still has a decent hop profile to it. Not an amazing one, though I can forgive that. It's loaded with pine, grapefruit, and *maybe* some apricot. The malt backbone comes through quite strongly, loaded with caramel and toffee. Not bad.

T: I pick up some Nelson Sauvin-esque fruitness, especially on the opening. It's weird, actually - it's a combination of grape-y-ness and mint. The more I sip it, the more the mint comes through. And the more I sip it, the more the mint ruins the balance of everything. I even dare suggest it's medicinal. While the general flavor isn't very good, it's not an undrinkable mess. That's great, I suppose...

M: It's pretty light on the palate, which is good. In spite of its age, it's also pretty dry - and that's also good too, I don't want this mint bomb to linger on my palate any further. Carbonation is about medium.

O: This would be a lot better if it were fresh. Seeing as I'm a 'Merican who's not in Scotland and don't have access to this AFAP (as fresh as possible), I have to grade it as is, which means I can't give it a good score. Come to think about it, is it really worth buying foreign IPAs? They're always going to be more expensive, and likely won't be fresh, either.

Punk IPA from BrewDog