Punk IPA | BrewDog

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American IPA

Welcome to a post Punk apocalyptic mother of an ale.

A beer that spent its formative years Blitzkrieg Bopping around India and the sub-continent.

This light, golden classic has been subverted with new world hops to create a devastating explosion of flavour. Steel yourself for Kalashnikov bursts of caramel, incendiary tropical fruit and an all-out riot of grapefruit, pineapple and lychee, before a spiky bitter finish.

This is quintessential Empire with an anarchic twist. Turn up the volume. Pay the man. Embrace the punked up, pimped up Maharajah of Pale Ales.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Added by bark on 11-02-2007

Ratings: 1,815 |  Reviews: 559
2.79/5  rDev -25.6%

A: Lighter than I expected it to be, with a rich, thick head. Bit cloudy.

S: No floral/hoppy smell in my nose that I would expect with a Pale Ale. Mostly malt smell.

T: Pretty balanced, initially, with a bitterness that sits on the tongue and increases with time.

M: Balanced mouthfeel. It feels light and refreshing.

Overall, just not really enjoying this. I expected big flavors from BrewDog for an IPA, and this didn't deliver. Setting aside my expectations, it is enjoyable but not an amazing beer. Just about average. It doesn't do much to stand out, which isn't a bad thing, but not a beer I would purchase again.

2.8/5  rDev -25.3%

2.8/5  rDev -25.3%

A: pours a hazy orange with a head that sticks around for the duration. No lacing.

S: awful and stale. Very minimal hop presence. The best comparison I can give is that it smells like a batch of underwhelming home brew. Something funky as well

T: balanced and tame despite what the label says. Minty hops are the prevalent note.

M: medium bodied and just the right amount of carbonation.

O: not great but freshness is in question.

2.82/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a hazy orange amber with a quickly dissipating soda like head. Aroma is sweet fruity floral notes. Taste is fruity up front with a kind of mild strange herbal hops bitterness. Palate is a medium body with a very mild carbonation. Finish improves somewhat as it warms up some, fruity floral some malt, some mild herbal medicinal hops bitterness. I am not sure what I am missing here but I did not enjoy this IPA at all. date on the bottle by 08/22/14. Would not buy this again.

2.82/5  rDev -24.8%

Bottle: Poured a ligth ditry yellow color ale with a thin bubbly head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of bitter hops are dominating but not as much as your usual American IPA. Taste is also dominated by some US bitter hops with a light dry malt backbone. Full body with low carbonation. Lacking some character and almost closer to an APA then anything else.

2.83/5  rDev -24.5%

I didn't know what I was buying at the time, I just saw an IPA that I haven't had before so I picked it up, at $10.99 a bomber, this better be good.

Well, it is cloudy and light yellow to faint copper, with barely any head or lacing. The smell wasn't what I expected out of an IPA, it smells of hops, and yeast. The taste is bitter, tasting more like an ESB than a IPA. The beer is nearly flat, barely any carbonation. Something isn't right with this beer, maybe it is passed it's prime. Not my kind of IPA.

2.85/5  rDev -24%

A straw like colour with a minimal head and small lacing. Nothing overly exciting and the colour is quite off-putting compared to actual American IPA's from America.

Lemon citrus and grassy aromas come through with little else. Again, not alot coming through with the beer.

Pale, slight malt like flavour gives way to a punch to the face of hop astringency. It's hard to really distinguish flavours in this, as its just bitterness, and thats about it.

Drinkable, to an extent. Not something I will ever buy again, as I think it fails to really be a good American style IPA compared to others I have tried. Even the DIPA's are much more drinkable then this.

2.86/5  rDev -23.7%

Fresh light crisp an fruity

2.87/5  rDev -23.5%

I tried a 22 ounce bottle of Punk IPA brewed by BrewDog Ltd. The initial thought after pouring this beer was, "Where is the head and carbonation?". The appearance of this beer was that of a Bud Light, not an IPA. The hops were present during the first sip then they slowly faded away. This beer reminded me more of a very drinkable kolsh, then an outstanding IPA. By the end of it the beer had increased all around. If you do find yourself with one of these brews please let it sit out like a porter or stout. I would say there are way better American IPA's out there!

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Bad bottle maybe? This was not fun to drink

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Whew! Smell up the kitchen with citrus when I poured this ale. Poured a very light straw color with poor clarity. Nice light white fluffy two fingered head with lots of lacing on the glass. Freshness date was 1/1/09. I'm drinking this on April 3, of 2009.

Aroma is of fresh in-your-face citrus. Lemnon and grapefruit.

Flavor is a huge disappointment! Tastes like a watered-down version of an IPA. I'm insulted that this beer is classified as an American IPA. I think true American IPA's are hugely hoppy and extremely bitter in flavor. This beer weak excuse for and IPA is neither!

Mouthfeel is thin and this beer is definately not worth the $12.99 I paid. Given the description on the label bashing common beers, I would have thought that the brewer would have made something other than what they rambled against.

2.89/5  rDev -22.9%

So an American IPA from Europe?

Poured into a pint glass hazy yellow with a huge white head, great retention and great lacing. The scent was noticable apon opening of the bottle. Very piney and citrus scents. The combination makes for an unpleasent scent to me, almost like a skunk. The taste is very european pilsner like. This beer doesn't taste like a IPA at all to me. There's lots pine and citrus notes, but just not right for the style.

I don't know what the scotts were thinking with this.

2.89/5  rDev -22.9%

This is easily the palest and least impressive IPA I have ever poured. Very clear and straw-like with a decent head. Looks like a pilsner.

Some good c-hops in the nose. Really nicely dry-hopped.

The taste is...n't that great. Piney, resinous bitterness with barely enough malt present to do much about it. It's really just about the bitterness and not in a pleasant way. The malt leans towards bready. There's a slight grape aspect to it. The citrus in the aroma which is nice enough on its own, clashes with the taste as I drink this. A soapiness lingers in the aftertaste. Overall there's just not enough malt sweetness or depth going on to make the bitterness overly palatable.

Mouthfeel is crisp, high carbonation.

According to brewdog's website this contains Marris Otter Extra Pale Malt. And that's the entire grain bill. Which explains the light color and body as well as the lack of depth or complexity.

2.91/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle as pictured. NO visible dates.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a creamy white head that leaves considerable lacing down the entire glass.

S: Mostly malty and grainy.Some of that typical European hoppy smell.

T&M: Hop bitterness. Grainy roughness. Fades to some mild citrus tastes. Medium bodied.

Nothing really spectacular, but decent.

2.91/5  rDev -22.4%

A - nice 1.5 finger head, very clear, but I found it to look a bit light in color.

S - not much of an aroma, a bit of hops and that about it.

T - now there is the hops. strong hops flavor. bitter.

M - clean, crisp.

D - quite drinkable. not the most balanced example of an ipa.

2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

2.94/5  rDev -21.6%

$3.99? ok I'll bite and give it a try. Pours orange into my Lagunitas glass. I get aromas of something sour. Is it supposed to be like that? this is an IPA and the best before date isn't until the end of May so I know it's supposed to fresh. I get sour hops that cling to your taste buds when I take a sip. Would of been nice if it was fresh tasting hops that were clinging to your taste buds instead of this sour taste that is so pungent. Other than the notes of sour I can't really get anything else out of this which is disappointing since this is my first Brewdog beer I have tried. I have the hardcore IPA in my fridge too and if that's anything like this one then these will be the last Brewdog beers I have.

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 6/27/11
*From notes

A: Slightly hazy golden with a two finger head and decent lacing.

S: For a beer called "Punk", this is quite pedestrian. Anti-bachterial handsoap and a good dose of minerality.

T: No juice, fruit or floral notes. It's simply plain-jane bitter. A large amount of malt covers for the lack of complex hops.

M: A tad watery. It just doesn't have the required weight to carry the ABV, and it collapses in short order.

O: BrewDog's Punk IPA is the worst kind of beer: utterly forgettable. It's got zero memorable qualities, and isn't something I'll be returning to.

Yet another dissapointment from BrewDog.

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with 1.5 finger white head. Stellar retention with loads of lacing from top to bottom.

S - Floral, buttery biscuits, cheesy sulphur yeast, lemon zest. Cheese dominates as it warms.

T - Floral hops with a buttery pale malt. Lemon zest starts opening up with a spicy bitterness. The buttery cracker pale malt is a strange mix with the lemon rind hops. Crisp finish with some lemon and leafy hop bitterness lingering.

M - Moderate carbonation, full side of medium body.

Great looking beer! A cracker based pale malt with lots of leafy and lemon zest hops. The light buttery flavor didn't help. It almost has a lager yeast character. Different but the perfume/lemon hops seems forced on top of the simple pale malt.

2.96/5  rDev -21.1%

A: Clear golden colour, average white head, dissipates quickly leaving patches of large bubbles

S: Obvious hit is an unpleasnt resiny hop smell, a bit like the cat has sprayed on it. Some fruity malt, orange & caramel somewhat redeems it

T: Quite bitter, lingering bitter finish. Has an unpleasant resiny hop taste that I don't like, but not as bad as the Tesco Double IPA that I poured down the sink last week! Not much else to it really. Some malt, but overwhelmed by the hops. Lacking in complexity.

M: Crisp & firm with quite high carbonation.

D: The resiny hop flavour is the thing that spoils it for me. The bittereness is OK, I just don't much like the taste. May try it again if I ever get to enjoy the flavour of the hops.I might get to like it with practice, but I think there must be similar beers with more complexity

2.97/5  rDev -20.8%

Smell: lots of hoppy citrus notes - grape, citrus, grass, elder (?), resin, pineapple, cucumber (?). Not much malt. Decent smell. Appearance is golden, but not much foam. Looks a bit "thin".

Taste: as the smell, lots of citrus, some resin. Very bitter too, didnt expect that. Again, not much malty notes.

Overall: unusual ipa, distinct bitterness, very hoppy, but not very much malt. Mouthfeel wasnt good, too little carbonation, weak and thin feel to it.

2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

2.98/5  rDev -20.5%

Looks like a blonde ale as its poured and the smell is on the weak side. Not off to a good start.

Hmmmm I think the Scotts got it wrong with this brew. Its nowhere near an American IPA. Rather this is more of a slightly spiced pale ale at best. Crispy mouthfeel with no resinous texture at all. Sharp carbonation. This is sessionable as its right down the middle without much edge.

Notes: I'll pass for the price as there are much better options without the import charge.

Punk IPA from BrewDog