BrewDog Paradox Islay (Batch 009) - Ardbeg | BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Islay (Batch 009) - ArdbegBrewDog Paradox Islay (Batch 009) - Ardbeg

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by bark on 03-19-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.56/5  rDev -34%

Thanks to my gorgeous wife for giving me this for my birthday in January, along with several other beers that I wouldn't have spent this kind of money on myself. She rocks! And no, I won't trade her, so don't ask.

This is black. The nose is shocking. I wasn't really prepared for the smoke.

Holy crap. This isn't my thing, at all. The peaty smokiness overwhelms whatever else might be lurking in this brew. I've given it a chance to warm up - nothing. There's a stout underneath this, but I can barely make it out, much less the whiskey that I was so looking forward to. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish the 11.2 oz. & I'm positive I don't need another, not tonight, probably not ever.

Disappointed. Based on this I won't be shelling out big bucks for another Paradox brew anytime soon.

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%

Had a bottle of this back in 2008, This brew was probably one of the first barrel aged beers I ever had. It was like something I had never had before. I can remember opening the bottle and pouring it out. Looked perfect because at the time I was a big Stout lover. Poured out as a deep black with a brown head that fizzled away pretty quickly. The smell was almost like sniffing a Johnny Walker bottle. The Scotch was very sharp on the nose and just beyond that was some of the stout elements like burnt malts and some dark chocolate. The taste was almost like drinking Scotch as well. I was really surprised by the power that the barrel aging had on this beer. The mouthfeel was smooth and on the lighter side. Overall I'm sure a lot of people may love this but for me I felt that it was too much for me at the time.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Looks not quite black on the pour, more of a cola color, but gives a nice solid brown-tan head of one finger and mostly smaller bubbles. In the glass, the beer is a very very deep brown. Almost, but not quite black. The head doesn't seem to have the greatest retention, and lacks texture.

S: There is an odd combination of roasted grain and alcohol here. Not a good, warming alcohol but like rubbing alcohol. I find it rather offputting, and it's not something I would think would develop with age.

T: The taste is better. A smokey whiskey flavor underlies the roasted grain, the two different flavors playing back and forth for dominance. The smell keeps getting in the way, but when I do get the taste, it's pretty enjoyable. Not great, but interesting. Sometimes I get a little coco, sometimes not. Nothing sweet though, and no dark fruits like you might from a RIS.

M: Light body mostly, smooth, though there are some times when it seems a little sharp and bitter rather than slick. I would think of this more of a strong ale than stout, but they say stout.

D: Overall, the alcohol is hidden well in the taste, but not the aroma. The body is lacking, but not to a point of failure. I'm glad to have tried it to compare it to other Paradox Series beers, but I'm also glad I paid so little for it.

3.32/5  rDev -14.4%

Dark ruby brown colored beer. Wispy, fully diminishing white foam. Nose dominated by Islay character. It's super smoky, with hints of iodine and a very light hint of malt character. Flavor is fairly complex, but a bit out of balance. Super salty, with hints of peat, peanut butter, iodine and scotch. A fairly intense, harsh beer.

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to biggreen for sharing this bottle with me.

A - Poured a black color with a thin tan head

S - Has a smokey peaty scotch nose

T - This is like drinking black scotch with some roasted malt in it

M - This beer has a watery body with light carbonation to it

D - This wasn't the easiest beer to drink that for sure but its was a decent sipping beer glad I was only given some of the bottle as I really probably couldn't drink more than a few ounces at a time anyway

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%

pours a clear brown with a small tan head, and little to no lacing.

smell is of wild yeast, a little cocoa, and dark fruit.

taste is slightly sour, dark fruit, some chocolate in the back, malt, and salmon berry, ends a little on the tart side.

overall a very different imperial stout.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer poured almost black with no light getting through it. It formed a dark tan foamy head that left latticed lace as it subsided. A heavy aroma of malt, scotch, peat and smoke. The flavor was of malt, scotch and smoke. It has a medium body and a definate smokiness to the finish. This certainly has a southern Islay Scotch aspect to it. I love Islay Scotch, but I think it overpowers the beer aspects too much in this version. Not a bad beer, but a little flawed.

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks Radek for this one. The whiskey aroma is huge for the first few minutes and then eases off. The rest of it was liquid smoke, which reminded me much of Calume Grand Chef, still with distinct whiskey taste. A burning rubber smell also there, just initially. Must try some more of these paradoxes.

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%

On cask at The Pub in Polaris.

A- Great looking. Deep black with a rich cascading head. Unfortunately the head doesnt stick around a long time.

S- Smooth scotch, roasted cocoa beans and bitter coffee.

T- Vanilla, scotch, smoke, earth, coffee and chocolate.

M- Low carbonation, most likely do to being on cask and having a higher abv and being aged in scotch barrels. Full and coating. Slightly warming and alcoholic but not overdone.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

[email protected]

A: Coalblack with beige head that seems to vanish in a slow pace.

S: Peat, Smoke, Bacon, Raisins, Alcohol and Whiskey. Very powerful smell indeed. Almost scares me a bit!

T: Smoke, Bitter chocolate, Espresso, Tar, Licorice (salmiak), Caramel, Oak wood. Very salty with a more balanced taste at the very end of the sip. Interesting and powerful.

M: Dry, smokey and salty. The alcohol warms you up quite a bit. A sipper for sure. Almost makes me thirsty!

A very, very, powerful imperial stout that certainly isn't for everyone. This one impressed me being more in your face than other oak-aged beers i've tried. Very different! Give it a try if you dare!

Batch #009 is matured on Ardbeg casks.

The colour is pitch-black; the liquid is clear. The finger thick head is dark beige. There are some amounts of lacing.

The smell is loaded with smoke, peat and Islay whiskey. Some sweet matured notes, wood, bitter hops, alcohol and a touch of raisins.

The taste is... bold. A dry woody flavour with quite a lot of alcohol starts the experience. For a very short time, the flavours seem to take a pause. Then, a hard hitting note of alcohol emerges together with smoke, peat, oak wood, sweet liquorice, bitter herbs and toffee. The aftertaste is salty and smoked in a notorious Ardbeg way; it is kind of stronger than the first flavours and very long. It is heavily smoked with a warming alcohol, but with an interesting bitterness (including some mild sour notes) that makes it more then just a whiskey-matured beer. The finish is mostly bitter with a smoked peaty woody salty background.

The carbonation is mild with some fresh small bubbles. The liquid is very smooth and moderately thick.

A daring, demanding and very different beer, much more interesting than the Innis & Gunn whiskey matured ales.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast