Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) | BrewDog

poor
Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)

BrewDog
United Kingdom (Scotland) | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 04-22-2008

Reviews: 96 | Ratings: 131
1.29/5  rDev -53.8%

Wow. Shoulda known better when I saw them on sale. Zero carbonation, rotten egg aroma, tasted like the barrel and looked like something scraped from a pond bottom. What a horrible beer(?). If you see this beer on the shelf, don't pick it up even if it's free. A seriously flawed product, that frankly, reeked of contamination, and the obligatory drain pour followed. Ugh, I want my money back.

1.3/5  rDev -53.4%

Really wanted to like this beer - I love Islay whiskies, DIPAs, and barrel aged beers, so go figure right? Unfortunately, upon pulling this out of the cellar after two months and eagerly cracking it open with some friends, here is what we found:
Appearance: pale yellow and slightly murky, no sediment
Smell: little to no hop character or malt, just vaguely smoked whiskey,
Taste: stale, acrid taste of an old burnt barrel with residual bitterness but little malt to balance; any smooth subtlety of a well aged scotch or similar beer was completely absent,
Mouthfeel: very thin for a supposed double,
Drinkability: poor, three sips was all anyone would take before we had to throw it out.

Hopefully you're reading the reviews before buying a bottle. Save your beer money for something (anything) else.

1.35/5  rDev -51.6%

11.2 oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Off-centered pint glass. On sale at Specs for $1.99 a bottle!

A gentle 'hiss' when the cap is popped has me worried. Yep, another under-carbonated BrewDog beer, just as I feared. Storm looks like dirty dishwater with a soapy, unconsolidated head of spittle-colored bubbles. Cloudy body the color of muddled iced tea. The aroma is equally as unimpressive, with sharp, medicinal notes of booze singeing the nostrils with each sniff. Green, unchecked Islay whiskey notes smell peaty and harsh. The hops are OK, with a hint of banana, citrus, and tropical fruits, but the malts are almost non-existent.

Ugh. This stuff is awful. Thin on the front with a bit of piny hops and toasted caramel malt, but then the whiskey, charcoal, and peat assault the palate without remorse or balance, lingering long into the finish with a boozy spice. Mouthfeel is as watery as the appearance suggested, with little-to-no carbonation and a near-putrid, slick consistency. I've always tolerated BrewDog's antics, even though their beer never really struck a chord with me. But this takes the cake. Storm is absolutely the worst beer I have ever tasted. I'm not swearing off BrewDog for good, but it's close.

Now if you'll excuse me, I hear the drain calling.

1.38/5  rDev -50.5%

Appearance: It poured cloudy and yellow with very little carbonation.

Smell: Skunky, smoky, some lemony citrus. Has strong over tones of the smell of ink and duplication fluid.

Taste: Sadly, the flavor was even stronger than the smell. I've read others talking about smoke and peat, but I taste ink and Windex. The bitter finish got stronger over time.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and acidic.

Drinkability: I found this beer undrinkable. I paid $8.99 and poured it down the drain after my wife concurred that it was very bad. I almost never do that.

SO glad I bought two bottles... not. Anyone wanna trade? ;)

1.41/5  rDev -49.5%

Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Poured a very pale yellow orange with a minimal white head. Maintains nice lacing throughout. The aroma is comprised of wood and mothballs (holy crap). The flavor is pretty much the same as the aroma. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall, HOLY SHIT! This thing is horrible. I was warned by another BA not to drink this in a LNBA thread, I should have listened. Drank around 4 ounces and the rest went down the drain. This thing is just plain nasty...

1.43/5  rDev -48.7%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A very minimal bubbly white head forms and sticks around as a small cap. No lace.
S: Malty, dry, moldy wood. Dry dark fruits, maybe some citrus aromas as well. Though mostly a very odd musky, moldy, wood.
T: This is not good at all. Dry moldy wood. Some smoke, more like charcoal. Bread and biscuit. It literally tastes like moldy bread.
M/D: A medium body and low on the carbonation. Sticky, oily, and soapy. This is plain awful to drink. I can not take more than a few sips without cringing. This will be a drain pour.

Just bad. That is all I have to say. Avoid at all costs.

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

Keep in mind we started drinking this an dthen saw that the bottle said best before 02-02-2010 and we tasted it 11-1-2010..

My wife and I opened this even though we saw the rating and wanted to see what a "C" tasted like, and it was much worse more so of an "F" rating.

No carbinaion, golden yellow in color, taste was all smoke from the whiskey, very dry. First thought when I took a wiff was beef jerky. Maybe this was because the bottle was so out of date. but we were not fans. I wish I would have looked the bottle over before buying this.

This bottle was not finished, we took maybe four sips each thinking it might get better as you go.. that was not the case..

would not recommend

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

Appearance: A hazy, golden orange body with only the very barest hints of white head. It looks strikingly like a glass of warm... well, it doesn't look like the style standard.

Aroma: Juicy citrus, something herbal (almost medicinal), and a big alcohol component. There's sweetness beneath it all, but it's not well defined. As different as this is, it's either going to be very good or very bad.

Flavor: Unfortunately, it's the latter. At first, it tasted like a barbeque sauce soda. Lots of soggy, musty wood notes over a bizarre, beer-like base. There's a hint of something citrusy up front, but the wood almost instantly overwhelms it. The aftertaste is smoky and woody, and after a few minutes, could almost be described as pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth with low carbonation.

Drinkability: I'll be charitable and just say "poor." The majority is destined for the drain.

Verdict: Holy shit, this is bad. At first, I was tempted to blame everything on this being an old bottle, but the bottle claims it's good for months to come. Combine that with how odd the other BrewDog "IPA" I've tried was, and I have to conclude this is not a fluke. Avoid like the plague, especially at the exorbitant price.

1.68/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours a one finger white head that fades quickly, leaving no lace. Light murky amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Iodine nose. Flavor is a hospital antiseptic. Said to be an IPA, I understand pigs fly too. Looks bad, smells bad, tastes worse, higher ABV is hidden. Waaay overpriced at $10.45 for a 330ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

1.69/5  rDev -39.4%

After reading reviews, I was scared to try this...but I did it anyways. Pours an ugly yellow color with almost no head. This beer looks like it's gonna be still...ughhhh...Not off to a good start. Scent is lookin a little better. Scents of whiskey and leather with a hint of smokiness. Not too bad. Taste is where it goes completely downhill. Absolutely disgusting IMO. Tastes like barrel aged sweat socks and smoked plastic. I needed to pour this one down the drain. I think this beer would have to be my second drainpour ever. Mouthfeel was flat and disappointing. Drinkability is... DRAINPOUR. I've like Brewdogs beers up until now. Just plain gross...I don't know what they were shooting for with this one.

1.72/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured into Delirium Tulip. Didn’t see the expiration date, so a couple months past prime.

No head to speak of. Some small lacing.

The smell is like straight scotch whiskey and manure. The whiskey balances the hops, and leaves a funky yet watery smell.

Taste is much the same, a lot like horse pasture.

I don’t get this beer at all lol. Probably the worst craft beer I've had.

1.74/5  rDev -37.6%

This is one of the worst beers I have ever drunk. Hot, plastic, very weird off taste. Perhaps if I would have given it a chance to warm up a bit, something more MIGHT have come out, but after two sips of this, down the drain it went.

I would not recommend this to anyone.

1.74/5  rDev -37.6%

BATCH- 013

Appearance-2- Pours a murky brownish/yellowish color. No head. No real signs of any visible carbonation, looks sort of watery.

Smell-3- Boozy. Smells way more strong than 8%. An almost sour fruit sort of smell. Some wood. Not really getting any IPA hoppyness here.

Taste-1.5- Smoke. Smoke and a hint of wood. Maybe a hint of smoked peat. Slightly bitter. Almost tastes like a very watered down scotch.

MF-1- Watery. Slight alcohol tingle.

Overall- WHAT A LETDOWN. I was really excited about this, I thought it was a really creative idea. I've also always wanted to try something by BrewDog and this was my first. Not only did this beer taste like straight up watered down scotch but it was $10 FOR A SINGLE 12oz BOTTLE!! I've been had.

1.77/5  rDev -36.6%

Bottle opened with not pop what-so-ever. Pours a pale yellow with, despite my best attempt, no head at all and very little carbonation. I was intrigued with the idea of this beer but frankly, I'm getting nervous. Smell is of whisky up front with a large yeast/bread backing with a hint of something... Uh- chemical? Or no- i know what it is! It's cigar butt the morning after. Taste and mouthfeel are both flat. Maybe it's my bottle but there is absolutely no carbonation to speak of. The whisky comes through in the taste but the hoppiness simply isn't there. It's slightly watery up front with hints of a floral hop that gets jumped by the whisky which could be great if it weren'tso overpowering. I would also like to see a larger malt profile to support the strong whisky character and smooth out some of the edge. Great idea but needs a little work.

1.83/5  rDev -34.4%

Drank 5/19/10
Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with a smell head that faded pretty quickly. Very slight lacing as I drank it.

S - Smell is almost entirely whiskey. There is some smokey smell along with slight hops and malts. To me the whiskey smell is very overpowering.

T - Taste is very strange. Off the bat I am not enjoying this beer very much. There is a very strong but off whiskey flavor. I generally enjoy a good whiskey or scotch, but this flavor is off. Doesn't taste much like either. There is some smokey flavor along with hops at the end.

M - Mouthfeel is very thin with very little carbonation. But it is smooth and feels alright in the mouth.

D - Well considering I had a lot of trouble drinking this single beer. I don't think I would drink another. Tastes and smells to much like bad whiskey and is hard to put down.

Overall I guess I am glad to try the beer. But I really did not enjoy, this to strong of whiskey, not at all balanced. Maybe it was because I got this beer a little out of date 02/21/10 was the best buy date. Its a very strange beer and not to my tastes I can see why some would like it, but not something I would ever drink again. I would like to rate this beer higher for creativeness from BrewDog but it doesn't seem like a good DIPA to me or very tasty IMO so I just can't

1.88/5  rDev -32.6%

A - Pale amber color, slightly muddy. Almost no carbonation. I have to literally dump it into the glass to get any kind of head. The head quickly subsides but leaves a thin layer of dishsoap-sized bubbles on the surface until the very end. Thin lacing.

S - PEAT! As soon as I start pouring I can smell the peaty, woody, scotch aromas. I can almost smell the ethanol. Smells like a scotch whiskey, but something's off.

T - Wow! I have to admit, after the first sip, I want to pour it out. After the second, I literally have the glass tilted over the sink, but I decide to ride it out. I take smaller sips and wait longer in between. The peat flavors and wood from the scotch barrel totally overpower the beer and sit at the front of my brain. I can think of nothing else. I give it a minute or two, and it starts to grow on me (not too much, though). Eventually I get past the initial shock of it all and I keep sipping.

M - Very thin, very little carbonation to tingle the tongue.

D - Definitely not for gulping, that's for sure. Baby sips.

I don't think I'll be trying this one again any time soon, but I'm glad I didn't end up dumping it out (especially at $8.99 for a 12oz bottle!). An interesting style, and I congratulate the creativity, but overall, I'm not impressed with this as a beer.

1.96/5  rDev -29.7%

Serving Type: Bottle
A: Amber in color

S: Big hints of wood, smoke, hops and has a boozy character to it.

T: Sweet mailty tones with an overpowering boozy and smoke quality to it.

M: Light body to the beer, with big alcohol taste to it. Beer is flat.

O: I felt like this beer was a waste of the 5 dollars I spent.

1.97/5  rDev -29.4%

Batch 012
Best by 02/02/12
I thought I had a bad bottle, but reading previous reviews, I guess this is what the beer is meant to be. Warning: Don't drink this beer.
It is a limpid yellow color with no head to speak of.
It has a bit of citrus aroma. No note of the whiskey barrel in which it is aged.
Slight grapefruit taste.
Flat.
Crappy beer.

Appearance:

I must say by taking a look at it, its a very pretty orange/ honey color with minimal head...so far so good.

Smell:

Holy shit, all I can get is smoke, watery scotch, and plastic / icy hot smell. Really overpowering on the peat smoked whiskey cask smell.

Taste:

All I can think of is Lebanon bologna and sweet sasuage lunch meat taste with burt plastic. I usually am very descrpitve and feel creative to write about beers I taste but this one makes my brain shut down quicky. Not very good at all...

Drinkability:

I am glad I got a chance to try it and more thankfull I got to split a bottle with a freind becuase if i wasted $9 on this I would be pissed.
It may be a hard rather unpleasent beer to most but its worth try it just to see peoples and your own reaction. Do it for the experience not the taste.

2.06/5  rDev -26.2%

Poured out of a twelve ounce bottle into a tasting glass. Served cool.

A-cloudy yellow body, big soapy head.

S-very scotch peat like smell. lemon.

T-tastes like carbonated scotch.

M-light carbonation, dry finish

D-very scotchy. It was a nice try but I think I will pass next time. Peat too much to appraise further.

2.07/5  rDev -25.8%

Sadly, this was brutally awful. Poured an oily gold with no head at all, not even a ring of bubbles. As I love Islay malts, this smelled wonderful; smokey, peaty, salty, with a hint of ethyl and wood. Everything you want in a single malt. The beer crashed into a mountain at the speed of sound after that. A sickening rubbing alcohol/creosote/paint thinner combination is all I can describe it as. It didn't even taste like Islay scotch, but possibly the outside of one of the barrels it was aged in. I couldn't even make it through the 12-oz bottle. I love BrewDog's other offerings, but definitely not this one.

2.1/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

i don't have enough hair on the bottom of my man parts for this one, i really gave it a chance... it did get better after 4-5 sips. very smokey, very bad initial impression after pouring with zero head, resembles urine . i'm glad i had one, but probably not going to purchase another

2.12/5  rDev -24%

Wow, wish I hadn't wasted almost $9 on this. This beer poured out with basically no head at all on it. There were just a few bubbles that came to the top from the rough pour I gave it. The color is a muddy orange gold. The smell is smokey and I personally can't get much hop aroma out of this one. The taste of the beer tastes like one of their Paradox brews. It's heavily smoked with the lack of much hop flavor doesn't really spark my interest. The mouthfeel is flat and watery. Overall I feel that the IPA stlye doesn't blend well with the Islay Casks like their Stouts do. I am bummed that I'm not enjoyin gthis more. I normally enjoy what BrewDog does but this one is not a success.

2.21/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle: Poured a hazy hay color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of Islay is quite dominant with some light traces of dry hops. Taste is totally dominated by Islay scotch which is enjoyable though dry aftertaste is a very weird mix. Body is quite full with low carbonation and no alcohol was apparent. While I really enjoyed Islay scotch I can't say that this was a really good mix. I couldn't finish the bottle and had to drain pour that one.

2.21/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a cloudy golden color.
Smells like Islay scotch. The issue with this is, it is not a scotch.
The taste is just about the same, an islay scotch.
My issue is that this is not really much like a beer, and more like its barrel.

Not very drinkable.