Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) | BrewDog

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 04-22-2008

2.7/5  rDev -3.2%

Good Lord, are they trying to kill me? Is the combination of a lightly flavored IPA and a Scotch Whisky barrel a good idea? Whatever the answer, the exploration proves challenging and ballsy.

A serious whiff of peated whisky barrels raise from the glass in aggressive smokey, woodsy, and boozy fashion. Any reminescent of beer is suppressed but a tobacco, fruity, agave (tequilla) note rises from the glass making me quesiton which aisle of the store I bought this bottle.

A glance at the pour gives a deep straw, moderately golded color with a significant haze. A mild head formation gives loosely knit bubbles and a sparse lacing on the glass. Not exactly the most appealing looking beverage.

Flavors of smoked grains, vegital additions, and fruity esters are all over the place. Again tobacco and tequilla combine with the heavy peated barrels to give a grainy, boozy concoction that proves too difficult for my beer-oriented palate. However if complexity is what you are after, knock you socks off with this one.

Textures are medium with some barrel-tannins but the light grains (is that pilsner) provides the softest of maltiness that helps to buffer the surfaces of the mouth from the woodsy whisky textures. A bit more carbonation would further lift the beer from the mouth giving a much needed repreive from the aggression of non-beer elements of this brew.

The individual flavors are acutally quite pleasant, but combined this beer suffers greatly. I love bacon. And, I love ice cream. I'm just hoping that Baskin Robins doesn't gain any inspiration from this post.

3.21/5  rDev +15.1%

A-A hazy light orange liquid with some yellow highlights. A bubbly, splotchy white head gives it some character. Doesn't look too bad.

S- Whoa man, the scotch character really jumps out with a big hit of peat and smoke. I can get a hint of hoppiness in there as well, but overall this smells like watered down scotch whisky.

T- Loads of smoke and peat with some oak as well. That is about all I can get out of this. At least it hides the alcohol really well.

M- Rather creamy and smooth at first but seems a tad watery on the tail end.

D- Well, this beer was a great idea, but something fell apart and the scotch barrel characteristics completely overrode the beer. Drinks rather nicely for the alcohol content though.

3.65/5  rDev +30.8%

Storm pours a light amber/golden color that is almost glowing when held to the light. The head it small on this one, akin to those beers with super high alcohol content. Once everything settles down this is a very appealing pour and a beer that begs to be enjoyed (hopefully).

Wow, the nose on this one is SMOKE-Y! Lots of the smoked peaty notes coming from the barrel aging that is for sure. There is some saltiness and some ocean type smells that really set this one apart as one of the most unique beers I've ever smelled. The smokey/peaty whisky smells really dominate and I've not been able to get anything else from the nose.

The taste is...unique. Plenty of smokiness going. Plenty of peatiness going on. Sort of metallic and barbecue-esque as well. There is a sliiiight hint of some citrus and hoppiness in the finish but you need to wade throw quite a bit of smokey whisky flavor to experience it. Very interesting...I like it but I don't love it.

Why a strong IPA? That is my question...a smokey strong porter would be so great! Age a nice hoppy porter in some of these barrels, that would be amazing! The hops in this are so far gone and the smoke just dominates the delicate IPA flavors.

Worth a try just to experience this beer for what it is. This is definitely one of the more interesting beers I've ever had. It is NOT bad by any means, but its almost as if BrewDog just chose the wrong style for the barrel...next time lets do something darker!

4.05/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle purchased for $7.99 from Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio last week into my Murphy's Irish Red pint glass.

A Absolutely no head despite a moderate effort to get one with a vigorous pour. Body is a boring looking translucent orange/light brown. 2.0

S Well thank God we don't just stop at the appearance when we rate beers. What a great smell! There are smoky touches, whiskey notes and a nice malt presence. The smoke I believe predominates as it reminded me of a Rauchbier and I was even reminded of smoked bacon. Great smelling and inviting. 4.5

T Wow...the smell really carries over into the taste...in a good way. Smokiness of this beer is so prominent it is a bit too much (like when you are sitting near a campfire and you get blasted with a breeze of hot, pungeant smoke in your face. I also taste the whiskey which to me is not that far removed from the smoky taste. Interesting, big and bold.

M As stated, a huge beer but no carbonation at all. I will take points off for that. I think significant carbonation would compete too much with the taste (that was my problem with other beers that I recently tasted/reviewed) but a nice creamy carbonation would really do this beer well.

D Not all that high due to the big tastes, ABV.

Notes: Certainly an interesting beer. Try this if you love Rauchbiers or huge, bold beers (or both). The whiskey barrel aged aspect really worked.

4.09/5  rDev +46.6%

I am a big Islay fan- Laphroaig being my favorite. Heard alot of abd things about this beer- roudy, hard to drink, etc. I found it complex and smooth, albeit lacking much carbonation...

A- Cloudy copper-orange with just a few bubbles of carbonation; no head, but a thin halo around the top of the pour. Like most cask ales, this is an obviously unfiltered offering, excusably cloudy.

S- Initially the smell is dominated by earthiness, peat, wood, whiskey, and mainly near phenolic smoke. As the beer warmed more subtle complexities emerged- vanilla, white pepper, apricot. After sipping and getting into the beer, the smoke dissipated and left just the woody, vanilla, pepper and hints of fruit in the nose.

T- Again, the first several sips were dominated by smoke and wood, as is to be expected. It was not as shocking to my taste buds as I expected from other peoples' reviews. I enjoyed the biting smoke flavor. After drinking for a few minutes, the smoke fades to the background and a caramel-malt, toffee-like flavor comes forward, some vaguely fruity hops in the background and some peppery quality from the wood emerges.

M- Very light, thin mouthfeel, as can be found in most wood-aged beers (save for Imp. stouts). Carbonation is light, almost non-existent, and would be my only complaint. Most cask-ale is fairly light on carbonation, so I looked past it. The smoke lingers in the mouth the first few sips, and the bite of wood and alcohol coats the mouth.

D- Not an every day beer by any means, but definitely something worth trying, and something I will revisit often.

3.11/5  rDev +11.5%

I love the Islay whiskeys and I love beer so why wouldn't I like this, well here is why. Barely any head, what was there was white. The body was a clear gold with some orange hues. I love the smell of an Islay whiskey so this smell was up there for me, peaty smoke, a hint of biscuit malt, and some orange peel. The taste - mouthfeel was way off. Very little carbonation in this beer, I think if there was more carbonation the flavors would bite a little more. There is a woody smokey malt flavor with an ending of some piney bitterness, but the flatness kills the flavors.

2.82/5  rDev +1.1%

I picked this beer up at the Atascocita Spec's since it was a new addition. I have never tried anything from Brewdog, but they are pretty proud of their beers as they are pretty costly. Let's hope that it stands up to the price.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat burnt orange color with very little head. It is pretty cloudy, and it looks like it has no intention of clearing up.

Aroma: The aroma of the wood is all over this beer. It has a rather dry fresh wood aroma it is so strong. This beer sat for a while in the cask, no doubt. Other than this, I get some evident hops, though they are not citrusy at all and add a somewhat grassy note to the aroma. There is a peat thing in here that is becoming more evident as it is starting to warm up some.

Taste: Well, the aroma is not as assertive and woody as I would have thought from the aroma. The wood is there, and it is not really adding a vanilla or anything, but more like saw dust or something. There is some serious complexity to the flavor, and I would almost call it a blend of phenols as much as malt, hops and such. The beer comes across quite bitter in the finish, and there is some hops along with the phenolic-like wood notes that sits on the back of the throat and makes sure that you don't forget that you drank this beer for quite a few minutes. There is little contribution to the mouthfeel from any carbonation, and the alcohol is noticeable...but gets washed out by the other flavors that linger in the finish.

Opinion: Overall I didn't think that this was the best beer that I have ever tried by any means. I applaud their liberal use of wood, and the other beer I got from them was a wood aged beer as well. I have to say that I am not a big fan of IPA's in the first place, but I don't really think that the wood is helping this beer. It is making it come across to me almost like it is infected...especially with the peat coming out more and more as it warms. Unfortunately, this beer is a little rough to drink.

2.66/5  rDev -4.7%

Tasted again with very different feelings than my first few bottles.

Pours a clear amber orange with a very thin white head that rapidly fades.

Nose is all Scotch...period. Some fruit character and a lot of peat, (latikia tobacco) in the nose. You'll love it or hate it; I love it.

Mouthfeel is a disappointment. It is thin and lacking in body and lacking carbonation.

Flavors are just off-putting and the disappointment continues. Tastes like watered down Scotch mixed with a lightly hoped beer and with no integration, elegance or grace. Flavors go from watered down fruit/smokey Scotch to a grapefruit bitter finish that's not bad. Unfortunately, flavors are just not pleasant; beer is not balanced and not particularly attractive in the mouth
* * *
FIRST REVIEW; BETTER BOTTLE?
(This review was a "B.") Honey amber in color with a quick white head. Great smokey, peat nose followed by like flavors of smoke, peat and citrus.

Very nice mouthfeel, body and balance. A very full peat grapefruit hop finish. Leaves a peat/smokey finish.

This is a nice "different" brew. Not sure how it pairs with food but it's worth the taste as it has something pleasant going on for it.
* * *
Perhaps this strange beer needs yet a third serious tasting. We'll see....

3.2/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

I've been more or less avoiding the Islay cask offerings from this brewer, but today I was presented an opportunity to try it, alongside a 12-year-old Lagavulin, no less...

This beer pours a clear golden yellow hue, with a whiff of thin soapy white head, that leaves limited spotty lace around the glass. No need to lean into the glass to guess what this is going to smell like - I can discern that quite readily by holding the freshly-poured glass at a full arm's length: that acrid, eye-burning, been camping all week stench that is embedded peat smoke. No surprise, I suppose, it does say 'Islay' and 'Whisky' on the label, but wow, is it intense. Leaning closer to the actual glass, the smoke just gets denser, but in the deepest dark, there is but a light! A weird, unexpected light, but light nonetheless - the distinct calling card aroma of the DIPA - grapefruit and pine hops, blended with a caramel malt. Thus begins the Jekyll and Hyde experience that is this freak show...

The taste is much like the smell: big peat smoke right off the bat, but I'll admit, the smoke dissipates after a spell, to reveal the underlying malt and fruit, just like in its well-made Island Malt cousins. The caramel malt and citrus hops are there, but battered and singed by the remains of the sinus-clearing smoke. I can't call the taste, or the smell, 'good' - 'accurate', maybe, but not good. The carbonation is moderate, essentially there to remind you that what you're drinking is beer, the body is a wee bit thin, and it finishes as it started - peaty.

In case it isn't clear, my tastes in Scottish whisky tend toward Speyside, so peat isn't my thing. Set next to a dram of the big peaty Islay Malt, this beer holds its own. That's not my issue - it's just as advertised. However, not all good things are meant to be mixed together, and this is a prime example. Any of the intense hops and malt character of the supposed base DIPA are lost under the assault of smoke. If you like the thought of burnt tropical fruit, be my guest.

3.38/5  rDev +21.1%

From a 330 ml brown bottle. Bright, translucent honey-like amber in appearance, very brief frothy white head on the pour.

All I can really pick up in the aroma is the smell of peaty whisky, which isn't all that bad as I enjoy the stuff greatly, however it tends to leave a very one-dimensional impression.

Once again, mostly smokey, peaty whiskey in the flavour, while some herbal hops manage to break through in the finish, and struggle to stay on the radar in the aftertaste over the smokey peat. Only when it is practically room temperature does the peat and hops tend to blend amicably in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, not much carbonation.

I give Brewdog credit for the experiment, however at least with this batch the peat is too overpowering to do this IPA any justice for what it potentially may have to offer. If you enjoy smoke and peat then this is right up your alley, otherwise there isn't really anything else being offered.

3.85/5  rDev +38%

11.2 oz. bottle for $8.99. I could get a 6-pack for that price.

Hazy blonde, light and thin white head kicks around for a long time, settles down fast with good remaining coverage.

The nose is very strange and unique. wine-cork, soft vanilla, tangerine, wet cedar wood, slight cardboard, sugar coated grapefruit & heather honey. The hops give off the fruitiness and the cask aging brings out some of the crazy aroma's like vanilla and cedar wood. i've never smelled another brew like it.

this is a tangy-fruity IPA with a huge amount of cask-aging effects like, vanilla all over the place, oak wood and a decent amount of heat that is reminisant of whiskey. Then a dry, and bitter hop flavor rolls in with acorns and mellowed by the fruitiness of pineapple. sure the flavor is odd, but with it being aged in cask just like a traditional IPA would be i'm enjoing the oddity. This brew makes you think about what's happeing, bonus points for originality. An herbal, slightly bitter hop effect comes back and acidic fruits roll in, cedar, oak is back with a heck of a lot of heat. The vanilla from the barrel aging is a sweet current and a rather smooth effect. The feel is soft and relaxed as it should be after being layed down for a while. no zip, no bite here, it's pretty mellow.

The vanilla and woody aspects makes this one tough to achieve a decent balance, but hey! it's different. complexity is good but it's trade-off with the weirdness.

If you don't mind spending a 6-pack worth of $$$ on a single, i say try it out, you only live once. (on this plane)

2.29/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance - pours a slightly cloudy straw, deep and golden in color. Pretty much zero head save for a few watery bubbles around the collar. Meh.

Aroma - smoky, peaty malts, through and through. No hop presence at all. Is this really a double IPA? Doesn't smell like it. Smells pretty interesting though.

Taste - instant bitterness and smoke, everything the beer has to show, it does so immediately. The hops are raw, harsh, and unpleasant. The malts are smoky like a rauchbier, which I like. The aftertaste and finish, though, are a 2nd act for the hops. I'll get through it by focusing on the barreling, but I don't care for this beer.

Mouthfeel - a little smooth, medium-body and weight.

Drinkability - one of the most unpleasant beers I ever spent eight bucks on. Live and learn.

2.24/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours a medium-golden color with a very thin head and light carbonation into my glass.

Aroma is strong with a whiff of whiskey in the nose. Unfortunately, it seems to mask the presence of any other aromas, unless you count a faint whiff of hops.

Taste is once again full of whiskey upfront with only a tad of hop bitterness. I can barely tell that it's an IPA here. There is some bitterness but not enough.

Mouthfeel is full of whiskey and alcohol heat. Not much of the hallmark flavors of a double IPA.

I'm going to have to score this one lower than I had hoped. It doesn't TASTE like a double IPA. Perhaps with some aging, it might just improve. However, it's not drinkable at this stage.

3.36/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2oz brown glass pry-top bottle. BB 12/12/09.

Appearance: Poured roughly into my official Beer for Punks chalice (conflicted about it). No head. I mean nothing. Like middle school dance no head. Slightly hazy golden raisin color.

Nose: Holy Islay! Peat smoke, burnt rubber, sea breeze, lemon rind. Not finding much of the beer here, just smells like Laphroaig.

Palate: PEAT-HO! Wow. Um, this is supposed to be beer right? I didn't mix up my whisky bottles with beer bottles? Peat, rubber, hay, sea air, wet rocks, and way, wayyy out on the finish are some faint whispers of hops.

Notes: Well, if you like Islay single malts, this bad boy is for you. I like 'em, but am seriously taken aback. I guess really bourbon-y stouts are cool in my book, and this makes more sense than IPA in a bourbon barrel, so why not! Let's go!

3.79/5  rDev +35.8%

I have to say that I liked this brew. Hazy golden color, quite pale, with an average head. The smell is amazing, however. Lots of peat smoke. It's very reminiscent of a Laphroaig, just toned down a little. The mix of the smoke, combined with citric, grapefruity hops is very interesting. They play off of one anther in a unique and fascinating way. Herbal and malty as well. The flavor has a lot of wood, smoke, and malt in it...more than expected. Some alcohol in the aroma, and it really comes out in the finish. The brew is medium-full in body. Smoke flavors linger long into the finish. If you enjoy peat smoke, this brew is worth a try.

4.21/5  rDev +50.9%

Pours a cloudy yellow-amber with some small bubbly off white head into a snifter.

Nose is oakey and boozy with strong notes of single-malt scotch and peat. Some underlying citrus coming through from the IPA base. Alcohol warmth coming through as it warms.

Medium bodied with low carbonation. Feels a little thin.

Taste, like the nose, has a lot of that scotch barrel flavor coming through. Peat smoke and wood. Very earthy. Some caramel malty sweetness up front and bit of bitterness as it goes down. You can just make out some of the citrus hops swirling about underneath it all, which I feel compliments everything else quite well.

Drinkability is good. Relatively light body and lack of any harsh or overly strong flavors allow this to go down pretty smooth.

Overall this is a very interesting and different beer. You can definitely tell that it started out as an IPA. It has a lot of solid hoppy IPA flavor, but it's hidden beneath a layer of peat smoke and oak from the barrel aging. This has a very defining smokey Islay scotch character to it, which sets it apart from a lot of other barrel aged (American bourbon) beers. I'm not a huge Scotch drinker, but having been to Scotland I can appreciate a lot of the aromas and flavors here. It all seems very comforting and familiar. This seems to be getting a lot of relatively bad reviews, but I don't agree at all. Although it's very different and takes a few sips to get used to, I really dig what's going on here. I think the hops and the scotch (hopscotch?!) really compliment each other rather nicely, in fact, and the smokey character is delightful. Well done!

1.77/5  rDev -36.6%

Bottle opened with not pop what-so-ever. Pours a pale yellow with, despite my best attempt, no head at all and very little carbonation. I was intrigued with the idea of this beer but frankly, I'm getting nervous. Smell is of whisky up front with a large yeast/bread backing with a hint of something... Uh- chemical? Or no- i know what it is! It's cigar butt the morning after. Taste and mouthfeel are both flat. Maybe it's my bottle but there is absolutely no carbonation to speak of. The whisky comes through in the taste but the hoppiness simply isn't there. It's slightly watery up front with hints of a floral hop that gets jumped by the whisky which could be great if it weren'tso overpowering. I would also like to see a larger malt profile to support the strong whisky character and smooth out some of the edge. Great idea but needs a little work.

2.95/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle from Hyde Park.

Poured a light pale color with a moderate frothy white head that mostly diminished and produced poor lacing. Medium musty wood aroma. Medium body with a soft texture and soft carbonation. Mediocre wood flavor with a wood finish of short duration.

Below average, worthy having once.

3.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Greg, the beer manager from Bierra Paradiso brought out a bottle of this while we were discussing barrel aged beers.

I am a scotch drinker and as a result I think I appreciated this beer. However, I thought it was funny that it's considered a DPA. Not sure really how to handle this review...

As a DPA it was not really true to the style. I love DFH Burton Baton which is an Oak aged IPA... and you can tell it's an IPA. This on the other hand really drinks and tastes like a scotch.

Pours with no head and even looks more like a scotch. A muddy light golden brown color. Nice clarity and no real carbonation.

Aroma is all scotch. Earthy, peaty and of course the wood...

Flavor is more of hard liquor. Any hop presence was replaced with the Islay barrel flavors.

A bit hot. Lots of times you comment how alcohol is hidden. Well this drinks like it's a higher abv then just 8%

A sipper. Not one I would want to drink the entire bottle... One to share. And frankly, one I probably won't seek again. I am thankful to have had the chance to try it.

1.68/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours a one finger white head that fades quickly, leaving no lace. Light murky amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Iodine nose. Flavor is a hospital antiseptic. Said to be an IPA, I understand pigs fly too. Looks bad, smells bad, tastes worse, higher ABV is hidden. Waaay overpriced at $10.45 for a 330ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

3.33/5  rDev +19.4%

"Vows made in storms are forgotten in calm."

--Thomas Fuller

Sunny goldenrod with a wee splash of tangerine. This is one of the palest DIPAs that you'll ever run across. The barrel aging undoubtedly played havoc with foam formation because the cap is a small, loose collection of bubbles that is unable to muster more than a few blips and squiggles of lace.

Scotch whiskey and hops are two of my favorite things in all the world. That doesn't mean that mixing them in the same glass is a good idea. Since BrewDog's DIPA (Hardcore) is so hop-deficient, I wondered if hops would even be appreciated in the nose. They aren't.

It's easy to tell that Islay Scotch barrels were used because of the distinctive aroma that is emanating from the pint glass. It's hard to mistake that smoky, peaty, iodine-like scent as anything else. Trouble is, the potential goodness of the whiskey is diluted by the beer and the end result is dull rather than exciting. Not impressed so far.

Storm isn't horrible beer if you like Scotch. If you don't like Scotch (or have never had it), then the word 'horrible' will probably be the first thing out of your mouth once it's been emptied of beer. Hopefully, the liquid will have exited downward, not outward.

Call me an optimist, but I still think this could work if a good, raspy, hoppy DIPA was used. The problem here is that Hardcore is anything but hardcore. Even though Storm has some amount of hop bitterness, hop flavor is almost completely absent. Granted, it's hard to punch through the murky wall of peat smoke.

A 'best by' date of 02/02/10 is difficult to figure. The hops will have faded into oblivion long before then and all DIPA character will have been lost. There isn't much now. Just before the next sip, once the whisky has had time to seep away, a little grapefruit zest tickles the taste buds.

In the end, an extra half point will be awarded for uniqueness. This stuff is interesting to drink, I'll give it that. The body/mouthfeel is more APA than DIPA, and is somewhat lacking in terms of expansiveness. Maybe it's the barrel aging, but the bubbles seem to have lost their mojo.

BrewDog Storm is an experiment that was worth trying... in the brewery. The decision to bottle and sell it doesn't show the best judgment. I still love a good Islay Scotch whiskey and a good DIPA, but will take them in separate glasses please. Some good things are better left in their purest forms.

3.08/5  rDev +10.4%

Clear golden color with an orange tint. Almost no head develops, and very little lacing.

Fusel alcohols along with whiskey aromas, tons of peat and oak.

Similar problem in the flavor: the whisky character is way too up front. Tons of peat, the alcohol seems harsh, and the hops are one-dimensional and thin.

The body is pretty thin, not horrible, but could be more full. Overall this beer feels like a whiskey that has been mixed with hop tea. Weird.

3.62/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle, batch no. 150, best by date 121209: Great googaly-moogaly... this is scotch beer... I'd swear that I was having a Bruchladdich with water... pour is golden with almost no head after an aggressive spill... taste is pure Islay scotch with all of the sea salt, ocean spray and peat that comes with it, there is a slight background of fruity yeast esters and bittering on the finish... definately not an IPA, but it is extraordinarily unique blonde ale for sure.

2.78/5  rDev -0.4%

12 oz bottle thanks to Ralph.

Pours a lightly hazy yellow, kind of dull looking, very slight white ring forms, few lace spots, doesn't look so great. Smell is not good, intense fusel, peat and whiskey, smoke, plastic/bandaids, wood, kind of a big mess, whiskey is much too strong. Taste is similar, lots of bandaid, charred wood, alcohol, very smoky, scotch, very rough flavour, spirits just overpower it. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, some warmth. It did smell a bit better after letting it sit and open up, but the scotch was way too strong for this beer. Thanks Ralph!

2.07/5  rDev -25.8%

Sadly, this was brutally awful. Poured an oily gold with no head at all, not even a ring of bubbles. As I love Islay malts, this smelled wonderful; smokey, peaty, salty, with a hint of ethyl and wood. Everything you want in a single malt. The beer crashed into a mountain at the speed of sound after that. A sickening rubbing alcohol/creosote/paint thinner combination is all I can describe it as. It didn't even taste like Islay scotch, but possibly the outside of one of the barrels it was aged in. I couldn't even make it through the 12-oz bottle. I love BrewDog's other offerings, but definitely not this one.

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) from BrewDog