Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) | BrewDog

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA)

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 04-22-2008

3.61/5  rDev +29.4%

Pours a clear golden orange/amber color with burnt orange hues when held to a light source with a very thin fizzy white head that quickly dissipates.

Smokey malt aroma with a very prominent whiskey/peat character. Earthy oak in the with slight citrus hops but the nose is overwhelmingly dominated by whiskey. I wish that the hops were more evident but this beer still smells pretty good.

Medium bodied but on the lighter end. Very unique combination of smokey malt, earthy oak, peaty whiskey flavors and citrus/piny hops. Subtle hints of pine needle and lemon/orange peel. Decent amount of alcohol warmth but along with the peat and whiskey it adds to the flavor. Sweet yet dry finish.

3.55/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours dingy orange/yellow with a nonexistent head. Hazy, almost cloudy appearance. Smells somehow off, lots of wood from the whiskey barrel but without any of the malt or hops that would balance that. Smells much like... scotch.

Flavor is weird. Tastes woody and astringent at first, bitter and unpleasant, but after drinking for a few minutes this gains some complexity. Still lots of smokey wood, but a nice wallop of hops and smoke on the back of the tongue. Finishes very dry and somewhat astringent. No significant carbonation or hoppiness on the tongue, moderate thickness, slightly chewy.

I feel somewhat underqualified to review this beer, to be honest. I've never had an Islay Scotch, so if this is what they taste like then obviously this is within the brewer's intention for the beverage. If so, I think I'd prefer to get the real thing straight up in Scotch form than masquerading as an IPA. In any case, the casual fan of India Pale Ales looking for a hop fix should shy away from this, as it has few if any of the characteristics they're looking for. Worth a shot, though, if only to put it in the "love it or hate it" category.

3.32/5  rDev +19%

11.2 ounce bottle, best before 2/2/10 so it's a bit past it's best by date. Served in an oversized wine glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with about a 1/4 inch white head. Not much head retention, but there's a decent amount of lacing. Aroma is pretty nice, it smells like peat and smoke, just like a good smoky scotch whisky. I don't notice any other aromas, the smoke/peat is pretty overpowering, not that I'm complaining. However, the taste isn't quite as good as the aroma. I can still taste the peat and smoke, but there's also a weird plasticy taste noticable. It's not bad tasting, but it's a weird enough taste that I can't rate this beer above average on taste. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is average, but I probably rated this higher than most overall because I like smoky scotch whiskies. It's not great, but I thought it was worth a try.

4.07/5  rDev +45.9%

pours a very hazy dark yellow. Very low carbonation, no head.

Smell is amazing - peaty scotch, some smokiness, dank hops, musty wood and stick malt sugar, with some hoppy fruitiness. Mouth watering, what an amazing combination.

taste is good too - a little too sweet for me, but the hop/peat/smoke combination really works here - it's hard to explain, but the sharp pungent bitterness of the hops really pairs nicely with the peat and smoke. Slight alcohol warming

Mouthfeel is too big for my tastes, I'd personally make this a 6.0 abv beer instead of 8, and go for as thin a body as I could manage, to accentuate the hops and peat.

Drinkability is good - though you really have to be in the mood for something smoky and bold like this.

2.82/5  rDev +1.1%

So I bought this bottle when I saw it in one of my normal craft beers spots. It has so many things that I love...BrewDog brewing, strong IPA and whiskey cask aged!!! What could be better?

look:Pours a deep gold. A decent amount of head on the glass with minimal lacing.

smell:Still a little bit on the cold side, lots of citrus and smoked peat. With primarily peat! Not necessarily in a bad way... but not in a good way either. I can already tell this beer is going to be "different".

Taste: holy crap...did I just drink a fire pit? A quick flash of citrus and fruit go across the mouth being chased by a billowing smoke a peat flavor. Very interesting...again not in a bad way, but not in a good way either.

Aftertaste: the peat lingers. is followed by a slight whiskey bite to it.

overall: I am glad I tried it and got to share it with some friends. Most likely won't buy it again.

2.82/5  rDev +1.1%

A- Poured this beer fairly hard and it comes out a fairly hazy golden color. The head was quite thin, although it has big frothy bubbles, settling down to a bubbly/creamy looking film. There is quite a bit of carbonation upon looking at it....quite a few columns are sticking to the glass. Decent sticky lacing clings to the glass.

S- The first thing I notice is a heavy peaty smoky aroma that is very dominant...it almost smells like smoked meat. There is a noticeable malt aroma followed by some bitter hops on the finish. I was surprised but I don't smell much in terms of alcohol A very unique smelling brew, that's for sure.

T- This is probably one of the most interesting beers a person will come across. If I thought it almost smelled like meat....I really think it tastes like smoked beef! It's the combination of sweet malt, very smoky wood, hops and a touch of whisky that makes this a truly uniquely taste experience.

M- This beer feels like I've sucked in a mouthful of ash from a bonfire. It's medium bodied, not as heavily carbonated as I thought it would be...

D- Interesting as it is, I don't see myself getting this beer again. It's a very powerful beer and a little too smoky for my likning. It's much more likely better suited to be a meal beer, or with a 6yr old cheddar, possibly older. I wouldn't be able to have more than 1 serving of this brew before wanting something else...very unique though.

3.06/5  rDev +9.7%

Aroma is the only thing going for this beer. Pours a hazy dark golden color with virtually no head, even with a vigorous pour. Nose is reminiscent of Islay whiskies, perhaps Laphroaig comes to mind right now. Palate has an herbal, grassy, and off-flavored peatiness to it. Finish has some sourness. Challenging to drink.

Appearance:

I must say by taking a look at it, its a very pretty orange/ honey color with minimal head...so far so good.

Smell:

Holy shit, all I can get is smoke, watery scotch, and plastic / icy hot smell. Really overpowering on the peat smoked whiskey cask smell.

Taste:

All I can think of is Lebanon bologna and sweet sasuage lunch meat taste with burt plastic. I usually am very descrpitve and feel creative to write about beers I taste but this one makes my brain shut down quicky. Not very good at all...

Drinkability:

I am glad I got a chance to try it and more thankfull I got to split a bottle with a freind becuase if i wasted $9 on this I would be pissed.
It may be a hard rather unpleasent beer to most but its worth try it just to see peoples and your own reaction. Do it for the experience not the taste.

3.2/5  rDev +14.7%

first off, judging this beer along the DIPA standard seems a little wacky; so i'm going to deviate a little in my rating

a: hazy yellow orange; effectively headless which is normally super sucky but can be common in long aged beers

s: tart sour yeasts; almost a raw rubber smell; smoky peat; some sweetness underneath but the smokiness is definitely most prominent

t: ummm....intensely smokey, i mean intensely so; light tart and citrus hops; just crazy smoky, almost too much to drink; and not a lot of hop character for an ipa

d: a little watery and basically carbless

m: hmmm...t the price that i got it at and that most people seem to have it is so not worth it

3.37/5  rDev +20.8%

Pours hazy, golden, copper color with very little carbonation. Faint aroma of the sea, peat, and lemons are pleasing of the nose. No trace of hop aroma to be found, if there, they are masked by the whisky cask. Sharp, acidic up front with peaty, iodine, almost salty flavors. Once again the hops aren't there. Very weak and thin on the palate. After on of these I have no desire for more.

IPA and Islay Whisky do not come together well on this brew. Crank up the hops and you might have something.

1.38/5  rDev -50.5%

Appearance: It poured cloudy and yellow with very little carbonation.

Smell: Skunky, smoky, some lemony citrus. Has strong over tones of the smell of ink and duplication fluid.

Taste: Sadly, the flavor was even stronger than the smell. I've read others talking about smoke and peat, but I taste ink and Windex. The bitter finish got stronger over time.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and acidic.

Drinkability: I found this beer undrinkable. I paid $8.99 and poured it down the drain after my wife concurred that it was very bad. I almost never do that.

SO glad I bought two bottles... not. Anyone wanna trade? ;)

3.29/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my double bastard glass. The pop of the cap lets off very little of a pop, and the low carbonation level is reasserted as I pour into the glass and receive little to no head. I'm definitely a little worried at this point that I may have a drain pour on my hands. Smell is very light...a little smoky and a little peat. I can't really pick up an aroma from the "New Zealand" hops, but I can't really pick up anything other than smoke and peat. The taste is a little shocking at first, but I definitely warm up to the uniqueness of the smoky flavor. Again, there isn't much there but smoke and peat, but the interestingness really keeps me sipping more. Drinkability is pretty low with the smokiness overwhelming the palate. Overall, probably not worth the 7.99 I paid, but I'm definitely glad that I tried this beer. It's absolutely unlike anything else I've had.

2.99/5  rDev +7.2%

Was very curious about this beer. The appearance was similiar to any IPA-golden and a little hazy. Smell was huge on the scotch and smoke. The taste was big on the smokey, peaty, scotch. barely picked up a note of hops, but it tasted like a scotch on the rocks that had melted. Mouthfeel was dominated by the smoke and was certainly very mildly carbonated. Drinkability was a huge issue as a normal human probably can handle about 3 oz. or less of this beer. Overall, it's a weird beer, but unique enough to try once.

1.3/5  rDev -53.4%

Really wanted to like this beer - I love Islay whiskies, DIPAs, and barrel aged beers, so go figure right? Unfortunately, upon pulling this out of the cellar after two months and eagerly cracking it open with some friends, here is what we found:
Appearance: pale yellow and slightly murky, no sediment
Smell: little to no hop character or malt, just vaguely smoked whiskey,
Taste: stale, acrid taste of an old burnt barrel with residual bitterness but little malt to balance; any smooth subtlety of a well aged scotch or similar beer was completely absent,
Mouthfeel: very thin for a supposed double,
Drinkability: poor, three sips was all anyone would take before we had to throw it out.

Hopefully you're reading the reviews before buying a bottle. Save your beer money for something (anything) else.

3.72/5  rDev +33.3%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer, but what I got isn't like anything I could have imagined.

It pours a hazy golden colour like an unfiltered wheat but a shade or two darker, and with no head whatsoever. The aroma is immediately peaty and oh so redolent of an Islay malt. I like that in a whisky... not so sure about it in a beer. The peat comes through in spades (no pun intended) in the flavour, along with some malty sweetness up front and a nice bitter finish. There are definitely hops in there but the peat overpowers everything. Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

The score I give this might end up lower than it really ought to be. It's... an interesting beer. Not one that I could drink all night but worth the occasional purchase. I think a more subtle peat character would be better. More power to BrewDog's elbow for giving it go.

3.05/5  rDev +9.3%

Still having a hard time believing this is a DIPA instead of a mediocre flanders or beligan pale ale or something of that kin. Poured a clear gold body with some fizzy head on top of a sour, almost skunky smell with little hoppiness present. Taste is more of the same as it's murky and the hops are subdued. A sour citrusy flavor with hints of woodiness but it comes across a little flat and watery and the finish is rather unpleasant, hence the low drinkability.

3.49/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy, gold colour with absolutely no head.

The aroma is mostly smoky Islay scotch. Peaty with some light sweet malt notes coming through. Definately no hops. Interesting and not unappetising for a scotch lover.

Burning rubber, overdrawn, overroasted coffee. This is really smoky and over done. The smoke overpowers everything. I get just a hint of sweetness on the start and finish to make this drinkable. While I think that Islay whisky should be generally left to the stouts I can sort of get this as I drink more. If I look at this less as barrel aged IPA and more as a Strong Ale I think this sort of works as a form of Islay scotch that I can drink (almost) a pint of.

Medium body with moderate carbonation is fine and works okay.

This is a tough one to judge. I can drink it. Will I buy it again? Probably not. Is it worth the alcohol units? Arguably not. Nonetheless a drinkable beer given the time in Islay casks and if you look at it in the right light.

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%

The beer pours cloudy yellow and looks about like a hefeweizen. The aroma is like a very peaty scotch. I know it was aged in scotch casks but I expected more of an IPA aroma. The flavor is similar to the smell, as it tastes like cheap scotch. No real apparent hop or malt flavor, just peaty, smokey scotch. The beer poured almost flat with little to no carbonation. I appreciate the effort of aging an IPA in scotch casks, but the casks took over the beer instead of accenting it. This is a miss for me.

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

Appearance: A hazy, golden orange body with only the very barest hints of white head. It looks strikingly like a glass of warm... well, it doesn't look like the style standard.

Aroma: Juicy citrus, something herbal (almost medicinal), and a big alcohol component. There's sweetness beneath it all, but it's not well defined. As different as this is, it's either going to be very good or very bad.

Flavor: Unfortunately, it's the latter. At first, it tasted like a barbeque sauce soda. Lots of soggy, musty wood notes over a bizarre, beer-like base. There's a hint of something citrusy up front, but the wood almost instantly overwhelms it. The aftertaste is smoky and woody, and after a few minutes, could almost be described as pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth with low carbonation.

Drinkability: I'll be charitable and just say "poor." The majority is destined for the drain.

Verdict: Holy shit, this is bad. At first, I was tempted to blame everything on this being an old bottle, but the bottle claims it's good for months to come. Combine that with how odd the other BrewDog "IPA" I've tried was, and I have to conclude this is not a fluke. Avoid like the plague, especially at the exorbitant price.

3.07/5  rDev +10%

Nose is smoky/porky like rauchbier, fruity like a rich macerated fruit pie filling, and floral/perfumy like an old lady's house. So it kind of smells like my grandparents house on thanksgiving. Smells good.

Pours clear pale straw, mild head. Looks pretty good.

Very thin and bitter, bitter like over-extracted tea that's too old, with strong smoked character suggesting that where other brewers use charcoal filters they filtered through used charcoal... kind of ashy and cigar-butt-like, and it finishes with a kiss of floral perfume / medicinalness that reminds me of Lysol. Tastes weird. Feels okay. Doesn't have drinkability, but it is fucking interesting.

Zeitgeist in a bottle... I'll vouch for that. Seriously though, this is quite awful, but interesting. Stay weird BrewDog.

3.14/5  rDev +12.5%

Reviewed 8/15/2009 (Bottle Batch 013 BB 02/02/10):

Pours an nearly no head, white, diminishing. Cloudy orange-colored body. Hoppy aroma, somewhat citrusy, but more lime than grapefruit. Woody aroma, some earthiness and spice to it. Some fruit. Interesting aroma, not like anything I've tried, might be the Islay whiskey aging. Some dark fruit and spiciness. Spicy taste,strong smoke flavor, sweet. Sweet smoky aftertaste, somewhat ashy. Very flat tasting. Interesting combo of smoke and bitterness and fruitiness. I don't like it too much.

3.08/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle from Calgary, best before of 2011. Pours a hazy light wheat/golden, certainly lighter than your average IPA or DIPA. Finger of creamy white foam, maintains a decent lacing, good retention, a few small wisps stick to the glass.

Nose is all Islay - wet wood smolders atop a bed of Scottish moss and peat. Very woody, slight hints of a hop in there somewhere, certainly not standing out.

This is certainly a very interesting concept and I think, while this one misses the mark, there is some potential here. Strong smoldering wood, peat, smoke, earth, wood - light pale malt base with just a hint of hop brightness and bite in the finish. I feel this would work really well with a nice sharp hop bite to counter the bold peat smoke of the Islay, could be dangerously good. This one however is one-dimensional, all smoke and wood. Light body, without the Islay it would be bland. Light carb but there.

Not all that drinkable at this point, a sipper that takes time for your buds to acclimatize. Still, not as terrible as some of the reviews make it out - you just need to know what you're getting into before buying this bottle. Islay = smoke. Storm = Islay. Storm = smoke. Too bad it wasn't more balanced and more of an IPA. No hint of the ABV. Nice long dry finish.

3.31/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer is ridiculous. It taste like licking a spatula after grilling a really seasoned whiskey marinated piece of meat. So much smoke in the smell and in the taste. No carbonation at all. A tiny bit of head that laced a bit of the glass. So much whiskey smoke flavor, words can't describe. I like it one sip then I don't like it the next. Crazy crazy brew complements of Brewdog. Will never drink one again but I'm glad I got to try it.

1.43/5  rDev -48.7%

A: Pours a hazy golden color. A very minimal bubbly white head forms and sticks around as a small cap. No lace.
S: Malty, dry, moldy wood. Dry dark fruits, maybe some citrus aromas as well. Though mostly a very odd musky, moldy, wood.
T: This is not good at all. Dry moldy wood. Some smoke, more like charcoal. Bread and biscuit. It literally tastes like moldy bread.
M/D: A medium body and low on the carbonation. Sticky, oily, and soapy. This is plain awful to drink. I can not take more than a few sips without cringing. This will be a drain pour.

Just bad. That is all I have to say. Avoid at all costs.

3.54/5  rDev +26.9%

Sampled on 8-30-09
Batch 13
Best before 2-2-10

Pours a very cloudy yellow color, no head, almost no carbonation at all, and just a hint of lacing. Looks kind of like pee.

Smell is odd, a distinct band-aid quality, and a slight fruitiness. Wood and peat, that's what it is. The dirtiest, earthiest beer I've ever smelled. Very interesting, if not particularly pleasant.

Taste is extreme peat, at an almost disgusting level. Once you get past it though, the bitter hops come through and really create a fascinating beer.

Mouthfeel is almost completely flat, much like a cask beer. Somehow it suits the experience.

Drinkability is poor, the crazy flavor and mouthfeel could be a major turn-off.

Overall, one of the most unique beers I've ever had. Try it if you have the opportunity.

Storm (Islay Whisky Cask Aged IPA) from BrewDog