BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966 | BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966BrewDog Paradox Grain (Batch 013) - Port Dundas 1966

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Port Dundas 1966 barrels

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 11-10-2008

3.9

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Paradox Port Dunas Americam Double imperial Stout from BrewDog. This brew did not do well in our tasting finishing dead last in 12th with an average
rating of 3.50. Although the age of this bottle was likely the reason. It was 6 years old. The other
BrewDog we tasted (Tokyo) finished 4th with an average rating of 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +9%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Digging the Smokehead and Arran batches, I continue to search out more batches of this series. This one pours a very dark and murky black-brown (imagine pouring chocolate syrup into your favorite cola) topped by a minimal covering of dark khaki foam. The nose comprises whiskey, roasted malts, booze, old oak, and a sprinkling of vanilla here and there. The taste brings in more of the same, with the whiskey so far front and center that everything else is left in its shadow and wake. It's a bit much at times, but it somehow still works to some degree. The body is a stolid medium, with a rather light carbonation and a sorta/kinda slick and fluid feel. Overall, a nice enough entry, but it lacks the character of the other barrels. Perhaps this particular whiskey is of the more mellow variety?

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

BrewDog rocks, but I had no idea this beer was hard to find. A few weeks ago someone on Facebook said that an AJ's Fine Foods had a few bottles of it. I asked him about it, know it was on the "list,", and he said to hurry as the beer is not only limited but also hard to find. So I left work, headed to AJ's and grabbed a bottle. I haven't had this before, but I do like scotch. I am not sure what bottle we have, but I am sure they are all similar. I am not even sure the bottle says. I will look in a little bit when I open the bottle.

I was hoping to review a bomber tonight, but we only have 3 cold and nothing sounded good. I hope I made the right decision with the BrewDog. Cheers!

In the Glass: Flat. The beer is flat. There is no head at all, and no lace to speak of. Granted, the bottle says, "best before 02/02/10," but it's 10%. It should cellar well. This makes me nervous. I hope, for $10, we didn't get a bad bottle. This is not a beer I can just run to Total Wine and grab. I hope it smells good. Let's see.

Nose: Booze. Then sweet. Then back to booze. Holy cow, that smells like straight alcohol. That puts me at ease that it will taste OK. I like big beefy stouts like this, and I am on a whiskey kick lately. I hope this tastes as good as it smells.

Smelling this I want some ice cream and a spoon. If I didn't know what this was, I would think it was a spirit before I would consider it a beer. Here we go… I am still nervous, you know!

Flavor: Whoa. It's flat, but that doesn't affect the flavor. I know it's only 10%, but it smelled like booze. It's quite balanced, and while there isn't much carbonation, it still has a great flavor. I am not getting as much whiskey as I wanted, but it is a stout that will get great as it heats sup.

Oh, the label says, "Port Dundas." This is batch 013… Not sure what that means, but BeerAdvocate has them listed as separate beers. I would love to do a vertical of them all, but I fear that day has passed.

Mouthfeel: It's flat. There is nothing going on here. It drinks like water. If you move it around in your mouth, you get SO much more flavor. The whiskey flavors really come out, and it puts just enough carbonation in it to make it enjoyable. This isn't the best beer I have had, but it is a good example of an American double stout. I do want more whiskey flavor, though.

Aftertaste: The finish is sweet, but it doesn't last as long as I want it to. It almost becomes drying, but after a few swallows, it gets really mellow. For a beer that has 10% ABV it is drinkable and offers a lovely experience. I just saw on the label, "imperial stout aged in a former Port Dunas 166 cask." I guess that explains it!

It's good, but it's not worth writing home about. I am glad it wasn't bad considering what it looked like in the glass. I do like BrewDog, and we have a few more beers from them on the list. Challenge accepted! Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a goblet. Batch 13. This was bottled on 02/02/08 which is a little over 5 years ago as of this review.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown (just a shade lighter than black) and leaves no head whatsoever.

Smell: Sweet vanilla, oak and whiskey lead the way along with dark chocolate and malts.

Taste: Follows the nose, but the flavors are a bit subdued. Vanilla, oak, chocolate, malts, plums and figs. All are very balanced and surprisingly light. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouth-feel: Nearly completely flat which I'm not a huge fan of. Medium bodied and this one goes down really smooth.

Overall: This was an interesting stout. The lack of carbonation didn't help it though - the flavors were all great and so well balanced, but the lack of carbonation was very noticeable. Definitely still an enjoyable stout and the age has really mellowed this one out.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%

The aroma of this beer is far better than the taste. It smells of sweet, sugary alcohol, whiskey, chocolate and cola.
A lot of this is not present in the flavour. It is surprisingly thin (which I enjoyed, but diminishes its ability to have flavour intensity, I'm sure). It is a very sweet stout with a nice whiskey smoothness. It's not as hot as I would expect from the smell. The alcohol is not really up front. There's chocolate flavour, but its masked a lot by the whiskey and sweetness. The cola I smelled is not in the flavour profile. It's enjoyable because I like strong, sweet beers, but I wouldn't buy it again considering the high price tag. It's the oldest beer I've ever had. Over 5 years old. Damn. I wasn't old enough to buy this when it was bottled. It was a nice experience, but I can get better sweet alcohol from Blithering Idiot at a much more reasonable price.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into a snifter, bottled on 2/2/08 (I didn't realize how old this was when I bought it). This pours a pitch black color with absolutely no head, completely flat. The smells are of dark roasted malts, oak and vanilla. The feel is medium almost no carbonination. The taste is okay , milder than I expected, you get the roasted malts and vanilla, but far more subdued than I expected (this isn't bad, but not worth the $14 per bottle).

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%