Dogma | BrewDog

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana.

Added by seaoflament on 03-04-2009

3.6

BrewDog Dogma
22.4 oz. bottle; "best before 125 - 10 - 04 - 12"
$6.99 @ Joe Canal's Discount Liquor, Egg Harbor, NJ

Nice label. Nice bottle as well, I like the shape. And I like the writing about the beer and the quote from John Locke. It's obviously "Stone" inspired in general, but it's much more literate and witty than most of what Greg Koch has thrown together. Onward...

Brewdog Dogma is a feisty little bitch if I can gather anything from the opening "crack" of the cap. It pours a clear deep-amber body beneath a massive head of frothy, yellowed off-white foam. (I should note at this point that I sampled it at a cellar temperature). The head holds remarkably well. Tiny bubbles can be seen making their way steadily upward and it doesn't seem to have too much carbonation. Partial sheets of lace are left behind.

OK, here we go... smells malty and hoppy. Basic. Caramelish and leafy with a little bit of yeasty fruitiness thrown in. There's something else to it but I can't place it. It seems like a pretty basic beer in general, although I know from reading the label that it's got honey, kola nut, poppy seeds and guarana thrown in. I guess I can see the honey and the poppy seeds, but I'm not even sure what kola nut is except that it's a stimulant that's got more caffeine to it than coffee. And I guess the guarana goes hand in hand with that.

In the mouth it's medium bodied and fairly smooth with just a light tickle on the palate from the median carbonation.

The flavor reveals a lot more than the aroma does, but again, I'm not sure what I'm tasting. It's peppery; and there's a bitterness to it that I'm sure is not coming from hops. The somewhat sugary malt helps to balance that, but it lingers in the aftertaste. And I guess that sugar is coming from the honey. And I do find a bit of nuttiness to it which could be from the kola nut, or might just be from the malts. I also find it much more floral than the aroma suggested. It's a bit toasty and if I had to peg this with a style other than "herbed / spiced" I'd probably go with brown ale, albeit a bit on the lighter side.

So let's break it down. Basic, yet complex. Complex in a way that we're not used to. It's not that it's got depth of flavor, or multiple flavor components going on all together and combining or not combining, it's just that those flavor components aren't exactly clear to our inexperienced palates. And yet, it falls back upon being fairly basic. So, OK, very good, but it's not exactly the kind of beer you'd look to as a basic beer to drink - it's so much more. It's not a session beer. I wouldn't order this out at the pub with the mates; or should I, is that what I'm missing? Is this a kind of response to Red Bull? Is it an "energy drink" via beer? If that's the case, I'll pass, I don't need that gimmick. But I will say it's unique. And I'll say I enjoyed it. I'm still up in the air on the "why" and "what for", but I can still call it as it stands hedonistically: average for a craft beer.

Not sure if I have the right Dogma. My bottle describes it like this (same ingredients) and it's 7.8% but it sure ain't clear orange as other reviewers describe it. It's a deep dark ruby.
appearance: Dark ruby, nearly opaque. Fairly thick light tan head.
smell: The honey is prominent as is smoky undertone. Cola is also right there. Quite a nose.
taste: Lives up to the nose. All the flavors are there.
overall: This is a very nice creation. Again, not sure if Brewdog has come up with a new recipe or what. This is quite dark and unless I'm that far off from others (which could be) reviews on this are mediocre at best. This is quite nice to me.

Rich orange color with an off-white head. Head retention, not great, but decent lacing.
Smell is sweet and fruity
Taste is spicy with a bit of pepper. Good finish with a hint of hops at the end.
mouth feel is medium, with a bit of creaminess.
A drinkable beer at any time of the year

Sampled on 7-1-10
Batch 099
Best before 12-16-10

Pours a cloudy red/orange color with almost no head, no matter how hard you try. Lacing is a thin ring around the edge.

Smell is extremely herbal, notes of honey and brown sugar. Subtle but sweet, complex quite enjoyable.

Taste is just like the smell, lots of herbal flavors followed by sharp hops. Very earthy, almost peaty, with a fruity finish and lemon hops. Very complex and original.

Mouthfeel is thick but almost completely flat, and somehow suits the herbal flavors.

Drinkability is surprisingly good, the odd flavors form a nice combination and go down smooth.

Overall, different and definitely worth trying.

1/2 pint served into tulip glass at brewdog bar in Edinburgh

A- Amber body with a haze, tan head, which is 2 fingers, tight and creamy with average retention but good lacing.

S- malt forward brew, toffee, I get a hint of a floral perfume which i would pin down as the Heather.

T- hit of sweetness, detecting Munich malt and the honey/caramel sweetness meeting a semi dry finish with a subtle hop bite. Alcohol heat is barely noticeable.

S- medium body and carbonation.

D- probably more going on in this beer than I could detect, before I read the description I thought this resembled a belgian dubbel! Interesting flavour profile!

A: Pouring the beer from a bottle into the glass creates a pretty thick, foamy and airy head that quickly shrinks and disappears. The color is a copperish/amberish color, very clean.

S: There are a lots of sweet tones going on, smells like there's a lot of alcohol going on in here as well. Just as the label states, you can pick up some honey tones here and there. You can also smell that there should be plenty of hops in here going on in the background

T: Just as the smell the taste is pretty sweet and malty. The hoppy tones comes in at last replacing those sweet tones with bitter ones which is very nice.

M: The sweet tones that you can pick up in both the smell and taste gives you a sweet almost silky smooth feel drinking this beer at first. Then hoppy tones that also can be found in both the smell and the taste comes in doing a good job replacing that smooth feel with nice hoppy bitterness.

O: A nice and interesting beer with both sweet silky smooth smell, taste and mouthfeel. The sweet tones are very well balanced and accompanied by the hops getting to work just in time giving you a long lasting experience.

Appearance: From a 22 ounce bomber is a dark copper color with a frothy and thick off white head that is a little chunky. The head rentention is very good.

Aroma: A little bit of dryness in the nose. A nice amount of floral hop. A little bit of clove, cinnamon. Mild banana chips. From the malt side releases a little bit of sweetness.

Taste: Quite a smooth mouthfeel. A little bit of carob and black licorice. A floral hop dryness which only adds to the tasty flavor. A pleasant hint of clove wtih a buttery finish with hints of hop oil.

Notes: This is my first offering from this brewery it is definately a very good start. Picking up more is something I must do. Cheers.

Dogma from BrewDog