Dogma | BrewDog

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Ale brewed with honey, kola nut, poppy seed and guarana.

Added by seaoflament on 03-04-2009

3.6

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance:

Again tonight I reached for another workhorse in my glassware collection my Unibroue Belgian tulip glass. As I popped the cap on this beer I did not get much of the typical hissing noise. I tilted my glass and poured slowly and soon realized that I was not getting much of a head so I leaned the glass back and poured straight on. When all and all was done I ended up with a very thin bone white head that hung around for quite some time. The color that I am getting is almost a dark gold/ light toasty brown color. (Almost like orange blossom honey) With a hazy undertone this beer still is letting some light pass through and as I give a nice swirl I am seeing a medium amount of lacing slide down the glass wall.

Smell:

Right off the start it smells like a fresh jar of honey, almost mead like. It has a very sweet aroma with some kind of raisny smell that reminds me of a Belgian dubbel. As I take a final whiff after a generous swirl I'm picking up something peppery or spicy on the back.

Taste:

OK, this is really strange. Upon my first sip it was almost sensory overload of kinda bad but kinda good. It has a really watery start with some honey that passes real quick then finishes with some lingering spice that I cant quite put my finger on, but from reading the label I'm guessing it's probably the heather or the guarana because now that I think about it, it is giving me a slight energy drink taste. So far I am not impressed by this beer, in fact I am only half way through my glass and dreading the fact that this came in a 22oz bottle. As I let it warm up a little bit more the spice and unfamiliar flavors start to come front even more. I think I can taste more of the kola nut which is rather bitter , almost like sucking on a tea bag or something in that nature. I did a little research on the kola nut and I found out that it contains a significant amount of caffeine in it and usually has a evergreen taste to it. (I can agree with that since its kind of gin tasting).

Overall, Glad I tried it but I probally will never reach for it again.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

A good look to this one. murky light brown, decent head. smell is dominated by honey but its the best honey smell in a beer i've ever experienced. the honey is even more pronounced in the taste but again this is not a bad thing and i usually dont like honey beers. there is also a nice hoppiness that doesn't necessarily complement the honey but is and interesting addition to the flavor profile. mouthfeel is great.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a burnt orange color with a large amount of creamy off white head.

On the nose I can pick up on the honey and guarana. The kola nut and poppy seed aren't something I can recognize but it has a floral smell to it.

This beer is pretty thick and slick, not too boozy given ABV either. I can pick up on the guarana and poppy on the finish. The honey is pretty absent in the flavor. There is a nuttiness that lingers on your tongue after finishing it.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Pours a hazy amber with brown hues, capped by a shortlived single finger white head.

S: Fairly subdued, albeit pleasant nose. Bready malt base accentuated by spices - honey is the dominant spice, followed by a poppy seed scent and some subtle piney aspects.

T: Malt up front with a lot of honey character and a subtle sweetness. Transitions into spices in the middle and finishes with a well-balanced bitterness with the piney aspects from the nose coming through in a stronger way.

M: Medium carbonation with a very smooth finish.

D: The smooth finish and subtle sweetness make this very quaffable.

2.69/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Hazy, golden amber pour. Half finger white head.

S: Certainly some honey sweetness, spice, yeasty fruit. The rest of the aroma is indescribable. A slightly boozy mish mash.

T: Initially peppery and bitter, probably a combination of hops and maybe the poppy seed? Mid palate is quite herbal, sort of sweet. Specific flavors are nondescript. A bit boozy.

M: High carbonation, "medium" thickness.

O: An odd and somewhat distasteful combination of flavors.

4.04/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.07/5  rDev -14.7%

A: poured from a bomber into a tasting glass. Light amber, somewhat cloudy (though not from sediment, just the opacity of the liquid). Small white foam didn't last.

S: not too different from a Latin American soft drink (where guarana is a common ingredient) - sweet, spicy, and earthy

T: disappointing. to me it tasted more like an English bitter ale than anything exotic. the sweet honey dominating the smell is mostly gone, giving way to a mostly bitter brew. it's not a /bad/ bitterness -- there's some depth to it, kind of like roasted coffee -- but it's not what I expected. the spicy ingredients are pretty much absent. on the plus side, the ABV is very well hidden.

M: average to below-average carbonation; fairly light body for a high gravity beer

D: pretty drinkable, especially for a 7.8%. But for all the wrong reasons: once sniffed a few times, there's not much going on. I'd almost prefer a beer of this type to be /less/ drinkable because it floored me with unusual one-off flavors.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured into a straight pint glass gives me a slightly hazy copper-coloured brew with a good head of foam that isn't going away and leaves plenty of lace. It's a very effervescent beer.

The aroma is honey sweet but not unpleasantly so, and is balanced with some wafts of herbal or flowery hops. Honey is prominent though.

The taste is nowhere near as sweet as I was expecting, given the honey in the nose. There is a base of sweetness for sure, but overall this is a bitter beer with plenty of complexity. I think I can taste the kola nut... but not having ever had a kola nut I'm just saying that because I'm detecting a slight Coca-Cola flavour way in the background.

The body is average. I think it could do with a little more weight. Quite prickly on the tongue from the carbonation.

It's not a beer I'd drink every day but it's an interesting brew to try once in a while.

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Glass: nonic

Hazy dark orange body, certainly unfiltered. Nice rich and thick 1 finger head, full splashy lacing.

Seems like an amber ale base on the aroma. Nice light toasted malts with very aromatic notes of rose, orange, grape, mint and alcohol.

Substantially more bitter than i expected but rightfully so, this beer is pretty darn sweet. Its got a thick and almost syrupy body that quickly becomes a bit much. The amber ale base makes it's way into the flavor profile, lightly toasted malts, some candy-like sweetness but the redeeming quality seems to be the guarana and poppy seed that gives it an interesting herbal quality.

Not exactly my go-to beer. Its too sweet and as i drank further, the bitterness was completely overtaken by a cloying sweetness. I'll pass on Dogma next year.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%

Amber and copper hued body with a straw-coloured head, 2 fingers in height, with tropical fruit and honey dominating the nose. The palette is not as assertive as I imagined, with a mead-like honey sweetness as the base, and a fairly strong piney hop bitterness balancing it. A medicinal fruit flavor emerges in the finish. Thin body with a good and pleasing carbonation.

Kinda strange in a good way, but kinda cloying with the sweetness.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%

Tried a bottle at UC's international beer tasting.

Pours a cloudy amber color with no head at all. The smell is odd. According to the bottle it is made with guarana, kola nuts, honey, poppies, and other spices. I could have been picking up any of these, the smell was just odd. The initial taste reminds me of an APA. Lots of hops up front with a huge honey aftertaste. There is almost no discernable alcohol taste which is an accomplishment at 7.8%. Too much honey for my taste and probably wouldn't get it again. Still, its my first brewdog and I'm glad to have tried it.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a healthy sized head. Color is a rich amber.

My my my, this really does come off as a sweeter beer, with a lot of honey character coming right out at you. Usually, beers that have honey added to them have so much of the original ingredient metabolized away that you'd doubt it was ever there to begin with. This, on the other hand, is quite different.

First sip is yum, not only because I'm a sucker for honey, but because it's got a nice hop bitterness to it that keeps this from turning into a mead. Spices bring it together to make a very satisfying beer. And I'm pretty sure that the guarana is giving me a little caffeine buzz.

My first beer by BrewDog, this one goes down as one of the best so far.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

660 ml bottle from batch 159, best before 29-06-11.

A creamy, thick head develops when poured, with a rush of pent-up carbonation that continues to feed the foam as the head settles to a thick carpet of mottled complexion. It leaves respectable trails of lacing stuck to the sides of the brandy snifter as the hazy red-brown brew descends from consumption.

The light smell of tart cherries mixes with citrus notes and some yeast in the aroma.

Woody bitterness is the first impression of flavor, followed by some roasted walnut or chestnut, massaged and slightly mellowed by a good dose of hops and the creamy carbonation, which helps escort the bitterness through the palate. One is left with a curious dryness, akin to sucking on an apricot pit.

An interesting experiment in high energy beer, but not an overwhelming success, at least to my palate.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

2.6/5  rDev -27.8%

A- Hazy orange amber color. decent retention, with some lacing.

S- A mess of spices and yeast characteristics.

T- Bitter and unbalanced. Too many spices jumbled together at once.

M- decent med body, kinda thin on the backend.

O- not my cup of tea

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%

appearance isn't what i'd like to see from a scottish spruce ale...too carbonated but the nice full white head

the appearance is what i like to see from this type of ale....although i don't think there is a particular color associated with spruce ales...

smell is incredible a wild herbal scent...the spruce is light yet noticeable....i think the poppys come up very well...the honey is also present

the taste is a little medicinal...but not from it being spoiled...it may be coming from the kola nut or poppys

the feel is nice a little thick but not as thick as it pours

overall this is an ok or nice take on a Scottish spruce ale

Dogma from BrewDog