Tokyo* | BrewDog

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottles contents. This imperial stout is brewed with copious amounts of speciality malts, jasmine and cranberries. After fermentation we then dry-hop this killer stout with a bucketload of our favourite hops before carefully ageing the beer on French toasted oak chips. It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times.

Added by PartyBear on 08-29-2009

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

2.09/5  rDev -47.2%

Had on 12/31/2012 at Brewdog Camden in London. This was my 3rd beer of the night and definitely got me drunk. Half filled wine glass from tap.

Appearance: Solid head, and pitch black RIS goodness, looking good so far.

Smell: Sweet, cloying, caramel-like... Like a weaker smelling Tactical Nuclear Penguin that I had earlier in the night

Taste: Good god, imagine a truck of sugar crashing directly into your mouth and spilling all of it's cargo therein. This is the most unpleasant beer I have had in a long time. Whatever else is happening here is completely overshadowed by pure malt. It's as if I'm drinking diluted malt concentrate mixed with maple syrup. Painful, simply and utterly painful. The alcohol was there, but it was somewhat co-opted by the sheer sticky presence of the maltose.

Mouthfeel: I had to struggle it down.

Overall: I don't even want to think about this beer again. I know it's rated fairly highly on BA, but it just was so not for me.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

A: The beer pours a motor oil black body with a thin white head that quickly fades and leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass. There is also some floaties in the beer, probably from the fruit or yeast

S: I am picking up a strong amount of sweet booze, a tiny bit of chocolate. The boozy smell really dominates.

T: Dear mother of god this is a freaking sweet beer. The first sip just destroys my palate and takes a long time to recover so I can enjoy the after taste. The after taste consists of some chocolate, roasted malt and a very tiny bit of sour fruit.

M: It is very smooth and it goes down with ease. There is also a tiny bit of crispness on the back of the throat.

O: This beer is pretty crazy and for sure one of those beers you could only drink once every few months, but man is it easy to drink for an 18% beer. I cant wait to see how this beer tastes with a few years on it.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass

Appearance: Poured a typical stout dark black with about a finger of khaki head that quick disapted. Seemed a little watery and not what I expected from a imperial stout with such as high abv.

Smell: Absolutly fabulous, booze, cherries, oak, dried fruit, cocoa, vanilla. Almost like a top shelf whiskey or bourbon.

Taste: when still cold I get mostly fruit, cherries, cranberries and maybe raisins. As it warns the cocoa and wood start to show as does the alcohol. I think chocolate covered cherries would best describe the taste. Once it gets "warm" I would pretty much equate it to a burboun as the booze really takes over. Really sweet but it seems to blend well with the booze.

Mouthfell: A bit thin, dry, the alcohol really has a kick once this brew warms up.

Overall: Interesting to say the least. This is my first foray into high abv beers. I normally taste beers cool out of the fridge and sip as they reach room temp, and normally stouts peak as they warm. However this beer I liked best when it was still a little cool. Once it warmed up the booze and sweetness really took over and I found it a little hard to finish.

A decent brew, I would like to see how it ages, maybe that would tame the booze a little bit

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.44/5  rDev -13.1%

A- Dark chocolate brown with a 1 finger tan head. Pours a bit thinner than I thought it would, given the high ABV. Maybe I was just expecting another version of TNP.

S- Rich, sweet chocolate covered cherries. Vanilla. And booze. Plenty of booze. Plus just a little oak. Not a bad aroma, but with all the ingredients and power in this beer, I'd expect a bit more.

T- Sweet, with some dark red fruit- cherry or cranberry (they did brew with it). Lots of sweet chocolate notes. Hints of burning booze. Could probably go for another few years in the bottle to settle down.

M- A bit syrup-like. Goes well with the sweetness, but a bit too thick for the taste. the balance is just a bit off.

O- Not bad. The booze is nice and warming, and the flavors are nice, but it could be a bit better for all of the ingredients. I love the super-strong beers that BrewDog makes, but this one isn't my favorite.

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

From notes, at the Edinburgh BrewDog. Appearance is jet black with a coffee head, shows really good lacing and film.

Smell has some soy sauce, iodine, oak, dark malts, bitter medicinal hops.

Taste has a lot of mellow alcohol, creamy stout character, a lot of Whisky influence, layers of complexity, really dry towards the end. Finish has an overall medicinal character, interesting.

Body is very big, light carbonation, but very smooth, with coating bitterness.

Interesting stuff. Very big and quite medicinal but quite complex.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Have had this and a second bottle for a long time (over a year). I think I got them from Pino and Patrick?

Batch 10. Best before 04-04-21

Poured in to CBS snifter.

A - Black with half a finger of medium brown head.

S - Big sweetness up front - milk chocolate, molasses, cranberries, caramel and a hint of jasmine.

T - Bold flavours and a big alcohol presence that almost burns up front. Very sweet and syrupy, with milk chocolate, molasses, caramel, dark fruit, oak and some rum-like flavours. The cranberry is present as well and adds a slight tartness.

M - Medium, almost full body. Light carbonation.

O - This was interesting enough. Considering the ABV, I wasn't expecting this to be smooth but it was very sweet and syrupy and I couldn't even get through 12 oz.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

I wanted to like this beer. I really did. For a variety of reasons.

The pour is almost more of a deep deep brown with a little bit of lazy carbonation remaining over the top.

Nose is sweet. Almost like a grappa sweet. Big alcohol presence, along with a dark fruit sweetness to it.

This does not taste like beer, as most people would expect it, but almost like a decent port. That would actually be the how I would describe this beer overall. A beer for port lovers. I think it's the cranberries and jasmine that really give it this deep syrupy sweetness, and it's got a high ABV.
This more I think about this, the more that is how I approach it. Don't drink this beer thinking you're drinking beer. Think of it as a malted port. With that change in thinking I like it that much more

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%