Tokyo* | BrewDog

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottles contents. This imperial stout is brewed with copious amounts of speciality malts, jasmine and cranberries. After fermentation we then dry-hop this killer stout with a bucketload of our favourite hops before carefully ageing the beer on French toasted oak chips. It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times.

Added by PartyBear on 08-29-2009

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Bought a bottle of this from the Tobu department store in Ikebukuro, Tokyo. Poured into a Rochefort goblet. This is "Batch 11," good through 2021... wish I had time to store it, but i'll enjoy it as is. The appearance of this is almost sci-fi and surreal... the carbonation of this works like a Belgian strong pale ale, bubbling up in the center. However, what happens with this beer is nothing short of a doper's dream in the way that it swirls and twirls inside the glass, making almost Zen-like patterns in the thin foam of the brew. It is truly mystical to watch as it unfolds. A very thin head, but interestingly two-toned between dark cream and caramel. The brew itself is near black, and when you take a sip, the powerful 18% ABV definitely shines through, accompanied by the cranberry and hop mix of the batch. The scent definitely gives off the same feel, and it becomes even more aromatic as the brews warms in room temperature. Overall, I think this is an amazing imperial stout that puts most others to shame. If I let this sit for a few more years, the punch of the alcohol might subside and provide a more drinkable brew... but, this being a "brew for punks," I enjoy the slap in the mouth every time I drink it. I understand that this is a limited-quantity brew, so if you can find it, get yourself a bottle and enjoy when you don't have any plans later that night!

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Batch 2
330 ML poured into a tulip

A-- Poured a dark, syrupy brownish black. Settled black with touches of ruby at the bottom and near the head. Nice looking head considering the ABV of this. A dark brown colored, one finger head. Fell to a layer of light brown film and collar. Big ABV legs with this. Very thick. Few bits of spotty lacing.

S-- Big. All I can say is just a big nose. Toasted oak, stewed plumbs and raisins. Big time port like quality to this and would think this was on a port barrel with this sort of nose.

T-- Quite smooth really. Lots of dark fruits, port, oak and flashes of hops and alcohol. Expected a mess and far from it.

M-- Slightly syrupy, that is OK as masked well with the oak. Get the cranberry in the mid and back palate. Little bit of alcohol burn with this but finishes clean with a long lasting spiced rum fruit cake finish. Medium bodied and just enough carbonation to make this lively and smooth out the rough spots.

O-- Nice little surprise. Have to give Brewdog some credit as not a big fan of their stuff overall. A well made beer. Great balance for this high an ABV. Not just a booze bomb. Slow sipper and something worth getting for long term cellaring

4.79/5  rDev +21%

When I heard a liquor store here in Indy had a bottle of Tokyo*, I just had to have it. This beer is VERY limited, and very strong. I called the liquor store, and they didn’t know if they had any left. I went in… and they had 6 bottles for $14.99. That i insanely cheap for this beer. They only made 3,000 bottles of this stuff. I should have bought two so I could cellar one. You can hold on to this puppy for up to a decade.

I am a big fan of BrewDog. They have a very Three Floyds brand to them, and they are always trying to push the limits with their beers to produce a bigger and better brew. I am pumped about this one. I hear it smells and tastes like a fine whisky… sign me up!

In the Glass: This beer has a very impressive tan head on it. The lace is also amazing. It just hangs on for dear life. I assumed that a beer that is this big would have a thicker appearance, but I am glad that it doesn’t. I also didn’t smell anything as I was pouring, so I am excited to stick my nose in the glass.

Nose: Now that smells like a stout. This is an imperial stout, but there are tons of cranberry notes rushing to the surface. You also get the booze, which I expected. I hate it that I keep going back to the ABV, but man… this is big. I am sure the beer, because of BrewDog, will impress. But that number is hard to ignore.

Flavor: The flavor is immediate on the tongue. As you swallow it becomes somewhat sweet, and then you are hit with the heat of the alcohol. It is not overwhelming, and deepening on the setting could be quite welcoming. I would compare this to a good barleywine. I will say I disagree with people who compare this to whiskey. Not even close.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is incredible. The bubbles are enough to appreciate it, but then the sweet smoothness sets in. It feels thicker on the tongue than it looks in the glass. I am very impressed with the overall complexity of this beer.

Aftertaste: Awesome. The aftertaste is incredible. It is sweet, and just hangs on begging for another drink. The chocolate is also present when it comes to the aftertaste. It is a deep, dark chocolate note that hangs on after the sweetness becomes slightly bitter.

BrewDog, you have done it again. I am blown away with this beer, and am SO glad I got to try it. I might see if I can find another bottle and throw in the cellar. Imagine 10 years from now… If you like a good beer that provides a mouthful of flavor and will leave you drunk after 1 or 2 pints, then grab some BrewDog. I will warn you, this is NOT a beer for someone that isn’t into craft beer. Bottoms up, people!

Tokyo* - The bottle says: “This is a beer inspired by a 1980’s space invader arcade game playing in Japan’s capital.

The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottle’s contents.

This imperial stout is brewed with copious amounts of specialty malts, jasmine and cranberries. After fermentation we then dry-hop this killer stout with a bucketload of our favorite hops before carefully aging the beer on French toasted oak chips.

Our approach has the same contempt of the mass beer market that the old-school punks had for pop-culture. BrewDog is a moodier day rebellion against soulless corporate bureaucracy and the bland, apathetic beer they industrially produce.”

3.64/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours brown-tinged black with a small, light tan head.
Very sweet smelling aroma, with port-like vinuous notes very evident. Also prominent is oak. Some roasted malt is noticeable, along with lots of caramel and prunes.
Similarly sweet flavours, again somewhat reminiscent of port. Roasted malt, brown sugar, caramel, prunes. Booze follows, seeming slightly solvent-like.
Carbonation, though low, seems too high for this sort of beer.
Could do with a little more age.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Batch 011 - Best Before 09-02-21

Pours a thin root-beer color with a fairly frothy one finger tan head. Smells of dark ripe fruits and oak dominate the nose and supported by a boozy aroma. First sip is boozy and bitter, with plenty of raisins, figs, and oak comprising the flavor. Mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy since the beer looked a tad thin on the pour. The 18.2% ABV is fairly well hidden for such a strong beer.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I don't like BrewDog. I'll say that first. Poured at cellar temp into a CBS snifter.

A - Pours a dark brown, but appears black in the glass. Has a very thick head that slowly gets to some nice lacing. Sticks very well.

S - Sweet molasses and dark malts, oak and brown sugar. With the oak comes a slightly medicinal aroma. It would be so much better without this. After some thought, it reminds me of the smell of paint.

T - Strong oak throughout, molasses, brown sugar. Much like the aroma. The oak gives way to a slight booziness in the finish. It is as if the oak chips were soaked in something, although I suspect that they are just providing a very strong oak flavor through the base. It is very smooth, particularly for 18.2%.

M - Fairly thick. Really sticks to the mouth.

O - It's hard for me to hate on this beer. The oak chips could have been done a little better (aroma/taste), but it really isn't that bad at all. Best BrewDog I've had....I can't get much of the booze. I'd bet that if this were swapped with the Bourbon DL variant in a tasting, no one would notice.

2.06/5  rDev -48%

A knowledgeable American sommelier I met at a pub here in Belgium, described BrewDog as "great marketing, lack of talent". After drinking this brew, I think I have a reasonably good idea what he's talking about.

This beer is just wrong on so many levels. The completely overpowering sweetness from plums and other dark fruits and raw alcohol you get from the nose are quite frankly sickening. The taste is equally bad, adding a stale dampness remeniscent of rain on hot concrete, potpourri and grandmum's living room with all the windows closed.

For me, this beer really doesn't have any redeeming qualities whatsoever. It doesn't even LOOK that appealing for an Imperial, having quite a light and tame head and not even being very dark, probably due to the amount of alcohol running through it, making it look quite insepid for its genre.

There are certain things I want from a stout, and I guess BrewDog Tokyo* has nothing of the sort. No beautiful roasted coffee, no bitterness, no texture, no deep dark brown head and pitch black body, ... as much as I would have liked to adore this beer as an almost unconditional stout fan, I absolutely hated this.

The only reason I didn't pour it down the sink, is because I coughed up €10 for the damn thing.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured midnight black with a small tan head with very good retention. Nice lacing on the glass.
The aroma of alcohol was very dominant at first then with some warming coffee and dark fruit was present.
Taste of sweet dark fruit, molasses, heavy on the black licorice and alcohol.
Mouth Feel was full body , light carbonation, syrupy with a strong alcohol bite.
Overall a nice sipping beer, just a little too much sweetness and drink with care it can knock you down , you feel the 18% ABV with every sip.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

This beer is an experience. I had it the other night in a pub in Estonia served in a brewdog glass with a short stem.

The appearance isn't too special at first glance. It's pretty dark and opaque. After you taste it, though the small mocha cream colored head reforms and reveals a bit of a mahogany color.

The smell is complex. It's got a sweet smell with notes of pine from the dry hopping process and the cranberries are there. It's really nice.

Taste was of course the star of this beer as it warms the mouth because of the high alcohol content. I taste the sweetness of the Jasmine and cranberries, but the hops and malt are in perfect balance in my opinion. I think this beer would have been fine without aging it on the Oak chips, but it just adds another level of complexity to explore. The slight smokiness also helps to balance the sweetness of the beer. It's a beer that's easy to drink in two stages. Sometimes I would pick up the glass and just smell the aroma and put it back down and sometimes I would take a drink. It's a heavy weight, so I took it with water as well. I'm not sure if that's a good idea, but I imagine it would clean the palate.

Like I said, this warms the mouth and goes down like thick honey. It's really nice and has no carbonation bite at all.

Standing ovation for Brewdog.

(I'm just an amateur, but I dig beer, so I'm trying to get better at analyzing and discussing. Bare with me.)

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%