Tokyo* | BrewDog

BrewDog
Scotland, United Kingdom
brewdog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottles contents. This imperial stout is brewed with copious amounts of speciality malts, jasmine and cranberries. After fermentation we then dry-hop this killer stout with a bucketload of our favourite hops before carefully ageing the beer on French toasted oak chips. It is all about moderation. Everything in moderation, including moderation itself. What logically follows is that you must, from time, have excess. This beer is for those times.

Added by PartyBear on 08-29-2009

Reviews: 276 | Ratings: 763
3.43/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle split with a good friend.

Unique smell of cranberry, molasses and licorice. Boozy but expected for the ABV. Taste is very sweet cranberry and booze. Odd for a jet black color of beer. Very sweet to start but my palate adjusted as the beer warmed. Glad I got to try but nothing I would seek out again especially with the hefty price tag.

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%

A - dark cloudy with a hint of orange around the edges. Short tight tan head.

S - Heavy alcohol scent. I don't know many boozes, but I am going to go with a cgeap tiquila , like 3-Fingers. Hint of dried fruit and malt.

T - Lots of dark dried fruit; prune, raisin, apricot. Sweet cocoa, malt, honey. A lot is going on with this flavor.

M - Thick but only a very mild tingle on the tongue. Heavy alcohol burn in the throat.

O - The alcohol burn and scent make this difficult to drink too often, but the amazing deep flavor calls you back.

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%

A- Dark chocolate brown with a 1 finger tan head. Pours a bit thinner than I thought it would, given the high ABV. Maybe I was just expecting another version of TNP.

S- Rich, sweet chocolate covered cherries. Vanilla. And booze. Plenty of booze. Plus just a little oak. Not a bad aroma, but with all the ingredients and power in this beer, I'd expect a bit more.

T- Sweet, with some dark red fruit- cherry or cranberry (they did brew with it). Lots of sweet chocolate notes. Hints of burning booze. Could probably go for another few years in the bottle to settle down.

M- A bit syrup-like. Goes well with the sweetness, but a bit too thick for the taste. the balance is just a bit off.

O- Not bad. The booze is nice and warming, and the flavors are nice, but it could be a bit better for all of the ingredients. I love the super-strong beers that BrewDog makes, but this one isn't my favorite.

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%

My bottle says Tokio*, but I'm assuming it's the same beer. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Hard pour yields a on finger tan head that quickly becomes a bubbly splotchy layer of foam concentrated on the edge of the glass. Dark brown to the point of blackness. Little bits of lacing pulled down by nice legs. Pretty impressive for the abv. Agitation brings back a half finger of head that settles in a mostly uniform layer of foam concentrated towards the edge of the glass.

The smell is intensely sweet in a syrupy/dark fruit way. Picking up the jasmine and cranberry. Some licorice. Definitely some alcohol. The smell alone was somewhat overly sweet.

Intense dark fruit. Jasmine, cranberry, plumbs and figs. Licorice that is pretty intense as well. Maple syrup. A hint of oak and vanilla. Bitterness that seems to come from the cranberries. Some resin-y hops. Alcohol is pretty well hidden, but noticeable. Somewhat cloying and too sweet for me.

On the high end of medium bodied, surprisingly only semi-viscous/syrupy. Medium carbonation, tight and fairly assertive bubbles. Slightly hot in the mouth and on the way down.

Pretty drinkable for the abv (18.2, what a doozy), however the taste is kinda of cloying despite an attempt at balance with some bitterness. Reminded me of Bell's Batch 9000 in some respects. If you like Batch 9000, then maybe worth a try.

Honestly, I'm starting to lose my interest in Brewdog. Their prices are high, and most of their beers I've tried (with the exception of some of the Paradox series) don't justify the purchase price.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle into a rocks glass.

A: dark brown/black with zero head. Mild brownish layer of fizz forms on the surface. No apparent lacing.

S: boozy, malty, caramel, roasty goodness.

T: strong booze and malt up front; caramel and burnt sugar follow, ending with a strong roasted malt complexion.

M: starts off medium-bodied and rather blah in this category, but turns smooth and creamy as it warms.

D: this is an 18% beer and it shows. Actually gets easier to drink as it warms, but this is a sipper for sure.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best by January of 2021 - Wow... you can't write jokes like that.

Special thanks to Huhzubendah (Matt), for getting my Cigar City snifter back to me so that I could enjoy this beer. Or did I really enjoy it?

A: This definitely didn't pour out like the ink bomb I was expecting. Actually, there were quite a few brown notes as the liquid was pouring, and more than enough spritzy carbonation to go around. The small beige head was subtle, yet it effectively stayed around for a good bit.

S: Strong booze.... jeez! Did something die in my glass? No chocolate, oak, or anything of that nature. After I warmed up to it, I managed to get a hint of jasmine and dark fruit.

T: In this very rare instance, I actually dug the fact that this was a VERY sweet beer. No chocolate, soy sauce, or anything of that nature (or things typically attributed to extreme stouts) could be found. I got a tremendous amount of the jasmine on the back end, and lots of uber sweet fruit sugar. To be fair though, this got substantially better the longer I let it warm and got used to its taste profile. I started to grow some affection for the way it made my tonsils stick together, and the way it made every cut that every even thought about forming in my mouth miraculously heal.

M: You know how sweet fruit gets after you put it in a dehydrator for several hours? Well, multiply that times 10.... then add another 5 tablespoons of sugar. I will say this though.... the sweetness worked miracles in terms of hiding the intense alcohol that I got on the nose. The lacing on the glass was used car wash stuff, and not only was there a substantial amount of lingering, but I believe my throat and esophagus are completely clean now... not to mention my stomach, which is now devoid of its lining.

O: Stout, my ass... this is a straight up spirit. My suggestion would be to bury this in the ground until about the year 4000.

Maybe this isn't just my thing... or maybe Huhzubendah pissed into my Cigar City snifter one two many times while it was in his possession.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance - 4.5
A gentle pour into the middle of a small brandy snifter results in three fingers of frothy beige head over a body that can only be described as jet black. No light is getting through this one! The foam gradually subsides then disappears.

Smell - 3.5
Rather whiskey-like, the alcohol burns the nostrils. Aromas of oak, dark malts, a lot of sweetness, American hops and a slightly meaty character.

Taste - 4.0
Wow. Sweetness hits the palate first, sugary sweet, I would almost say sickly sweet if it weren't for what was to come. Golden syrup, chocolate and a slightly acrid, burnt bitterness are next, followed by a wave of what seems to be rather piney American hops, a hit of menthol and then the woody vanilla character of French oak. Then the alcohol takes over; peppery, warming, bordering on hot. Overall the effect is pleasant, though a bit medicinal. I know the jasmine and cranberries are there, but to me they are lost in this huge beer.

Mouthfeel - 3.5
Full bodied, oily, but not syrupy as I might have expected. Lightly carbonated with very fine bead and a lot of alcohol heat.

Drinkability - 2.0
Let's face it, Tokyo was never brewed with drinkability in mind.

OVERALL - 3.75
While still technically beer, this is an experience that fits somewhere between that of normal beer and spirits. Tokyo is a brew to be sipped and savoured of a an hour or two, or better still, shared with a beer loving friend. I like it, but I don't love it.

3.47/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good hefty sipper, a bit too obvious on the boozy profile and short on the fruitiness but with a fair range.

Presentation: 10 oz draft serving. Menu notes style, country, serving temp (48º), and Alc. by Vol. (8.2%). Served into a snifter.

A - Black pour with brown edges, minimal head and retention, no surface memory or lace.

S - Slightly perfumy, which might be the jasmine but it is not evident with a tiny fruity note, and alcohol pulling the malt.

T - Dark fruits, sweet malts with a predominant boozy structure.

M - Medium-full body with a slightly sticky finish, and a warming alcohol rhythm.

D - Nice sipper, the alcohol does not hinder so much the drinkability as a bit of a dull note in the sense that it feels like it could reach a more pronounced character.

Notes: Too similar to some hefty offerings but while decent at times it feels a bit too generic despite the rich mix of ingredients. Brewdog is riding the hype quite a bit but they can do better than this.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

I wanted to like this beer. I really did. For a variety of reasons.

The pour is almost more of a deep deep brown with a little bit of lazy carbonation remaining over the top.

Nose is sweet. Almost like a grappa sweet. Big alcohol presence, along with a dark fruit sweetness to it.

This does not taste like beer, as most people would expect it, but almost like a decent port. That would actually be the how I would describe this beer overall. A beer for port lovers. I think it's the cranberries and jasmine that really give it this deep syrupy sweetness, and it's got a high ABV.
This more I think about this, the more that is how I approach it. Don't drink this beer thinking you're drinking beer. Think of it as a malted port. With that change in thinking I like it that much more

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Ok, ok, ok. Let's give this big boy a shot. Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a goblet. It pours a dark, deep brown color, nearly black, with a small off-white head with no lacing.

The smell hits you immediately upon opening the bottle and pouring. This one is big and a little intimidating. Tart and malty aromas are present along with chocolate and a warm alcohol aroma. Smells more like a liquor than a beer.

Tart and sour fruity characteristics are present and first and it ends with a nice smokey, roasted, chocolate and oak taste. It surprised me with the taste. I was expecting a stronger alcohol presence judging from the aroma, but it was surprisingly not as warm as I figured it would be.

The mouthfeel is nice, not much carbonation but it coats the mouth nicely and lingers with you.

A tough one to judge drinkability on. Would I spend $15.00 for another 12 oz. bottle of this? No, but I would drink it again if offered. Overall, I'm glad I had this beer as I believe it to be the strongest beer I've had and it was a good drink.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Basically black in colour with a bit of brown creeping around, little tan head with a few spots of lace as well. Smell is roasty, oak, vanilla, a mild berry/fruity note and quite a bit of alcohol as well. Taste is quite sweet, vanilla, chocolate, bit of oak, berry tea flavours, roast and a fair amount of alcohol eventually creeps up as well. Big, sticky and chewy feel, lightly carbonated but seriously thick as tar. This was a giant stout, it would be tough to drink more than 4-6 oz of this beer, perhaps age would have mellowed this out, may have opened this about 3 years too soon.

3.49/5  rDev -9.6%

Apparently best before March 3rd, 2020... so got this one in just in time. Pours a dark brown with small head. I smell cranberry and mild roasted malt. Lots of fruit in the flavour, with maybe the faintest hint of roasted chocolate. A bit thin in the body, which I didn't expect with such a high abv. This was incredibly boozy.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

A-Absolute black with a tan head that leaves decent lacing.

S-I knew it was brewed with cranberries but the nose still surprised me. Lots of sweet cranberries, oak, roasted malts, burnt chocolate.

T-Cranberries, oak, chocolate with some heat on the finish.

M-Full bodied, well carbonated. I would say it has a smooth mouthfeel.

D-the small sample I had was more then enough. It was too sweet for me and I don't think the cranberries mixed well with the stout.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Served in a plastic cup. I shared half of the bottle with a friend. It was a good thing I did because this is a very strong beer. I'm not saying it was bad just that I would struggle to finish the whole bottle by myself.

Appearance- Dark brown with a soft tan head.
Smell- A nice blend of fruit with a sweet alcohol smell
Taste- A straight kick in the mouth to start. At the end I tasted the , cranberries and molasses
Mouthfeel- Syrupy. i could definitely taste the alcohol.
Overall- A warning for this beer not for the faint of heart.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Very deep brown, opaque and dense. Tan head of half a finger sticks around.

Sour cranberries, oak,bourbon,cherry, jasmine, dark chocolates, alcohol, and other nice fruity esters emanate from the goblet.

Well form reading the reviews I thought I may not like this but I guess this is why we review. I actually think it's quite pleasurable especially considering the ABV. Vanilla oak, hints of bourbon, Roasty malts, with dark burnt chocolates on the finish that leave a long tannic finish. Alcohol burns the chest but isn't overly offensive. Residual sugar levels are pretty high in this bordering on cloying. The sourness of the cranberries shine through at the mid palate onto the finish. Hints of floral notes, and bitter hop character.

Mouth is a bit thin but is expected with this high of ABV.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Very dark brown, deep brown head, good retention, a little fizzy, not much lacing.

S: Pungent fruity tones with some hop undertones. Yeasty notes as well, maybe some chocolate. Smells a bit like a barley wine.

T: Reaaallly sweet, almost cloying. Burnt toast, heavy fruit kind of overpower the hops, but they do come through. Chocolate also in there. Definitely a beer for sipping - alcohol very evident.

M: Very thick, syrupy. Carbonation is good for the style. Not much astringency.

D: A challenge to drink, but a good one. Not something I would order often.

3.51/5  rDev -9.1%

Black with brown highlights, it feels especially sweet flavors. That is to say, no chocolate or coffee but the jasmine flower, alcohol, soft acidity and a little cranberry. On the palate, it is first surprised. Indeed, for an imperial stout, you do not feel at all the roasted malt, coffee, chocolate or anything else, which is rather strange. By cons, alcohol is now faster and with overwhelming power and very warming.

What damage - except for the ABV pretty impressive that makes Tokyo* looks closer liquor than beer - that alcohol totally eclipse infusions of jasmine and cranberries. This gives a bit of a strong drink, such as sweet / flavored vodka more than an original beer.

What a shame, because the idea was good.

3.51/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is definately a nightcap for me especially at its crazy ABV,it pours a dark crude oil colour that lets no light in whatsoever with average carbonation that leaves a fast vanishing two finger head that recedes to a smog of lacing,on smell the first aroma that hits me is alcohol followed by raisins and white port,it has a rather sirupy mouthfeel which feels more like a fine port than a RIS and it exudes tastes of raisins,port,dark chocolate,expresso,oak and finishes with a nice warm alcohol finish,overall a nice brew but not my most fav RIS and couldnt really drink more than one of these in a night,interesting brew though.

3.51/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to JMBSH for including this as an awesome extra! Bottle poured into a snifter.

A - a shade under pitch black with a surprising 1-inch tan head that lasted longer than expected.

S - first thing is a strong hit of alcohol, then cranberry, raspberry and oak. There is probably more in there, but alcohol is definitely the dominating aroma.

T - the first to hit the palate is smokey oak, then a strong blast of alcohol. The cranberries are present, as is some burnt espresso and some bitter chocolate. Goes down leaving a very noticeable burn.

M - actually better than expected after smelling and tasting. The alcohol is very hot, but the carbonation, thickness and consistency are all great while in the mouth.

D - too young and hot for now, but it has promise. Give this one a good 3, 4, or 5 more years and it'll be prime.

3.52/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours black, thin head. Smells very fruity. Feels pretty thin for such a strong stout. You can really taste the cranberries. It actually tastes very similar to a barley wine. Kinda disappointing cause I wanted a stout. You can really taste the alcohol.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm generally not a high ABV guy, but I've been reading alot about BrewDog pushing the envelope, so I figured I'd give this one a try. Purchased from the relatively new Beer Pantry, located in the Graybar Passage of Grand Central Terminal. This place is great...but CRAZY expensive. $19 for this 11.5 oz bottle of goodness. This brew is over-the-top in so many ways. Smell, appearance and taste are all going to be a love it, or hate it endeavor. Lots of fruit, sweetness and of course the booziness. I enjoyed it, but be prepared. It will kick your friggin ass.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out semi transparent with very little suds which quickly dissapate. Lacing is here if you swish the glass.
Smell is alcohol and more alcohol then some sugar malts. Mabey a little raisin or date way in the back but the alcohol is the king.
Taste is raisin and grape skin with a sugar sweetness. Alcohol soaked dates come to mind here. The alcohol does however not rule the roost in the flavor dept.
Mouthfeel is sticky but for such a high ABV brew this one is par for the course.
Overall this one will get you drunk. Might be good on a cold dark night in December but why put yourself through the cough medicine when you ain't coughing?

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch ten, best before 04-04-2021! Decided to open it a bit early..:)

Poured from a bottle into a schooner.

A - deep, dark brown color rather than black. Has some chunky residue floating in it; also appears cloudy. Tan head, about a finger high largely dissipates after a couple minutes leaving some streaky lacing.

S - not a huge nose on it; has some licorice, but also some leather and even astringent odors

T - the flavor is completely dominated by the alcohol, with the strong warming effect right up front, and only some hints of dark fruit, chocolate and coffee in the background. Also has a bit of a spicy finish that endures impressively long. Doesn't really taste like a beer, but instead some sort of evil mixed drink!

M - thick and syrupy with some light carbonation. Totally coats the mouth and the alcohol seriously warms things up.

D - drinkable only over a looong session. Powerful and somewhat off-putting with its alcohol. Sipper to the max.

Very interesting beer, though in some ways in really transcends what i'd normally call a beer. A very novel experience, but not necessarily one i'd have again.

3.54/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle poured into a snifter

Pours black with dark brown edges. A finger of head dissipates to nothing. No lacing is left on the glass.

Smell is very complex, with plenty of chocolate, sweet malt, and alcohol. There is a background of dark fruit and hops.

Malt is a bit overpowered by dark fruit and alcohol. There is certainly still some chocolate, but it's not as pronounced as it is in the nose.

Mouthfeel is a bit light. The higher abv is not particularly well masked.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer more as it warmed up. I would add additional malt and make it thicker. Only for the brave.

3.55/5  rDev -8%

Had this on-tap at the Goat. I missed the brewers, but managed to score some of the goodness they brought.

Appearance- Very deep brown. A hint of chestnut. But, almost black. Only 1/4 inch of tan head. Little bit of mocha head. It caps nicely. Minimal lacing.

Smell- Boozy raisins. Seriously. Smells like a rum fruit cake. It's hot, for sure.

Taste- Sweet chocolate off the bat. It's boozy and hot. But it settles down as you get used to it. Tastes like sweet cherries and whisky. It's like a digestif. Whisky + beer = interesting.

Mouthfeel- Fairly thin. I expected more body.

Drinkability- It's a big, hot beast. It tastes every ounce of the 18%. I've had beers of this strength that really hid the fact, but this one does not.

Initially, I thought it was a poor experience. But as I got used to it, I began to appreciate that it was surprisingly smooth. And certainly interesting. I thought it was hard to finish a small pour, but when it was gone I almost wanted another. Definitely interesting, and definitely worthwhile.

Tokyo* from BrewDog