Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tactical Nuclear PenguinTactical Nuclear Penguin

BrewDog
United Kingdom (Scotland) | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Made by freezing Paradox to remove water.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2009

3.5

Reviews: 128 | Ratings: 327
3.92/5  rDev +12%

32% ABV - that's something...

A: Pours pitch black, slightly oily with almost no head at all.

S: Smoke from peat and alcohol. Dark dried fruits and molasses.

T: Peaty smoke, heavy whisky-vibe. Sweetness - dark dried fruits and molasses. Some faint vanilla from the oak-barrels.

M: Aftertaste lasts a really long time and holds both warmth, sweetness and nice bitterness. Body is full and syrupy. No carbonation.

D: Well, what to say... Alcohol like a whisky (almost), taste like a powerfull stout spiced with whisky. Very interesting. The lads at Brewdog obviously aren't afraid to experiment. If you get your hands on a sample of this extraordinary beer - try it!!!

4.36/5  rDev +24.6%

Thanks to Sammy for getting this bottle to Toronto. It pours pitch black with very little head. Smell is quite smokey with some peat and lots of roasted malt. This tastes just like a scotch that has roasted malt in it, which I tend to enjoy, but I can understand why the peat/smoke could be too much for some. Mouthfeel was ok, expected a bit thicker at 32% actually. It is boozy, but it doesn't taste too much boozier than many stouts that are a third of the alcohol.

2.23/5  rDev -36.3%

330 ml bottle, courtesy of Cardinal Pub & Bar, Stavanger. ABV is 32%. Sold as "spirits / hard liquor" (40 ml shots) in Norway. Very dark reddish brown colour, nearly black. No head nor carbonation. Strong aroma of fusel alcohols, oaky and roasty notes, hints of smoke. Intense flavour of smoke, tar and salt. Moderately bitter finish. To be honest, this was not very good.

2.56/5  rDev -26.9%

How exactly do you rate these super high alcohol beers? I didn't enjoy it and wouldn't ever pay their asking price, but I also don't want to pan it as it's an interesting exercise in brewing. In terms of appearance, it's dark brown with lighter highlights and no head. Pretty good legs, I guess. The smell is sorta acrid. Bitter walnut shells and booze dominate the aroma. There's some big smoke and, maybe, caramel, but it's all just kinda odd. I was expecting it to taste more like whiskey, but it's much too dirty and rough - makes me appreciate proper distillation. Anyway, the flavor is even boozier and lacks the smoothness that I think necessary for this much alcohol. It's not awful and there's a chance it could be quite good with a long, long stay in the cellar. I'm definitely not won over to the super high alcohol beers.

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter by James Watt from Brewdog, thanks James. Beer is brown and surprisingly clear, not sure what I expected but not that. Beer has no head, no real carbonation to speak of and no lacing. When I swirl the glass the beer forms a thin layer on the glass and the legs fall down the walls. Looks neat.

Aroma is smoke, lots of smoke. Peated malt and strong smoke. Not as much alcohol as you'd expect but a lot of smoke. Some sweetness and the alcohol is there too but its not the star.

Beer is relatively thin and really smokey. Finishes rather dry (wonder why) and doesn't linger. It hides the alcohol surprisingly well, apparently the highland whiskey barrels is the way to make the smoke go away. Interesting. I don't think I would drink it again or seek it out specifically. Under the right circumstances I would definitely get a little more to get a another perspective from myself. A great opportunity, thanks again James.

3.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks JMBSH. Almost no head and very dark brown. Smoke city, in the aroma, in the atste. Almost pure smoke and peat, impeding drinkability. A touch of lace. Average mouthfeel. A little Scotch.More of a Scotch or an Eisbock than competing with the imperial stouts.

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Ratebeer Winter Gathering thanks to Diego.

A: Pours a deep brownish black with no head.

S: Evil smelling. A blend of liquid smoke, soy sauce, dirt, ash, and devils breath.

T: Earthy as hell. To call it smokey is an understatement. Lots of peat and moss with dirt still attached. The booze is there and does not even try to hide itself.

M: On the fuller side of medium, earthy, very bold.

D: Not at all. take an ounce or two of this one and sip for awhile. It really is not as bad as people say it is just overthetop in every way.

4.23/5  rDev +20.9%

A: Fruity and boozy, warm, alcohol burn, warms to toffee
A: Pours dark carmel / Rum colored. No head, no lacing.
F: Umami and soy, toffee and caramel, smoky, no hop presence.
M: Slick and alcohol burn. You don't feel it in your mouth, you feel it in your gut.
O: I'm very amazed that beer could ever be like this. I wont compare apples and oranges, but in the realm of high gravity beers, I will agree that TNP has less flavor profile than a Utopias. I still believe that this is a beer. It's not a scotch or a spirit, but I will drink it as such and would treat it with as much reverence. Long live the Penguin!!

4.2/5  rDev +20%

Ohh yahhh TNP, ohh how I have waited for the day that I got the honor to try this beer. 1st of all THANK YOU to KirkDiggler for hooking it up with this amazing beer! The legs on this thing are amazing, they line the glass like a fine spirit. HOLY CRAP talk about alcohol burn, yep I feel that go all the way down..to the tummy. This is straight malt, and taste more like a spirit than a beer. The only thing that I have ever had that compares to this is Sam Adam's Utopias. I would take this over Utopia's any day. This was a treat.

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

First off, I would like to thank 'In With Bacchus' for dropping off a bottle at the store. The bottle was wrapped in paper with a hand-drawn penguin on it. The bottle reads, "batch 001, best by Nov 19"

A: bottle pops with the faintest hiss only to pour a thick syrup best described as soy sauce.

S: super Smokey bouquet is complemented by jerky and bourbon.

T: quite possibly the biggest punch I've ever experienced. The first impression is booze, salt, and beef jerky. The After-taste is actually much better than the liquid, leaving a lingering bouquet to be enjoyed upon each inhalation for several minutes.

M: thin and syrupy for a beer, full bodied for a whiskey. There is a but of sting on the pallet towards the end of each sip.

D: one of those brews that have to be tried at least once. It is unique and boundry-breaking. Is it something I'll go back to? Probably not, but it is definitely an interesting concoction.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Was fortunate enough to meet James Watt at Delilah's during Craft Brewers Conference week in Chicago. We talked for a while and before I left he pulled out a bottle of TNP that had about 1 oz left in it. He smiled, and offered it to me in a taster glass. I was in heaven! James even let me leave with the bottle, with a hand written batch 005, and best before date of 02/03/2020.

Appearance- Slightly hazy, deep caramel brown with no head and no carbonation (may have been because it was the tail end of the bottle). Could see the alcoholic strength as the sample displayed nice sticky legs along the side of my glass.

Aroma- Big boozy nose provides for a tingly, slightly stinging aroma in the nostrils. The Scottish whisky cask aging is evident as peaty and smoky notes are almost as strong as the alcoholic aromas. A breath of a beer is hidden under it all as some caramel and maybe soft roasty notes are detectible.

Flavor- Quite similar to aroma. Whisky/booze forward and quite warming from the start. Notable oakiness with a kiss of caramel under a thick blanket of peaty smoke. Heat intensifies and makes this beer feel much more like a distilled spirit! Alcoholic strength fills every corner and crevice of the mouth, and as it fades a touch of earthy caramel, sweet roasty malt, and woody vanilla reminds you that this is still considered an (Uber) Imperial Stout...though its still pretty hard to believe!

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, but definitely amplified by warming, almost hot alcohol. Low to no carbonation. No hop presence detectable, and most of the maltiness is muted by peat, smoke, and whisky. Lingering warmth, peat, and smoke give it the feel of a nip of Scottish whisky.

Overall- Worth a try if you can get your hands on a taster! Just brace yourself for more of straight up whisky experience rather than expecting an Imperial Stout. I only had about 1 oz and that was more than enough to take in this extreme beer! Like it or not, this is what happens when you push the boundaries of brewing and that in itself is worth getting excited about!

3.74/5  rDev +6.9%

Today at the Winking Lizard's 2nd annual cask conditioned ale festival, I noticed James Watt from Brewdog walking towards the bar with a bottle in his hand.

There was a brief explanation on how the beer was made, then TNP was opened and split among those lucky enough to be present. I had about 1.5-2oz.

Thanks James for the opportunity. This was an experience for sure.

Pours a dirty brown with no head.

Smells excellent. Amazing scotch whisky mixed with caramel and raisins. A wonderful ethanol sting.

Taste is like nothing I've had that was called beer. Even the 120 mins, WWS's. etc. don't begin to compare with how this beer liquor reacts in your mouth. The most awesome sipping experience I've had - the beer is peat, peat, and repeat. Great and unique take on what grain, barley, hops, water, and wood can create.

Mouthfeel is like a fifth of jack. Can't be called good, but is it appropriate for the style???

Drinkability was awful. On a curve. If I opened a 12oz in my house, it would take me a week to finish.

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

This was a very offensive "beer".

Pours out a transparent dark caramel color. It looks great actually. No carbonation in this one. Alcohol was evaporating up into my face when I smelled it. It smelled very hot. There was a stout in there somewhere. It reminded me of paradox's base beer. A thin high abv stout with slightly bitter roasted malt.

Taste was as expected from the nose. This almost drinks like scotch. The stout is way in the background of the alcohol. Excessively boozy and doesn't really let any of the flavors come through.

I was grateful to have tried this and I actually liked it but it was tough sipping through that beer for someone that doesn't regularly drink scotch or whiskey. I should've put a splash of water or an ice cube in it.

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

I was very excited to try this beer... Very interesting to say the least, certainly a mix between a marketing stunt and an exploration in extreme brewing. It poured like a typical high ABV imperial stout, very aromatic with notes of oak, smokiness, molasses?, and to sum it all up, a smoky whiskey with beer head. The taste and mouthful were like nothing i have had before, very much like a beer upfront on both fronts, but finished like a whiskey. The drinkability was just like a liquor. The highest ABV i have had before (beer) were the last two Utopias. Overall, i would admit the overall score does not represent the experience, does it justify the price? (Maybe not) I have already ordered Sinking the Bismarck, will post once i have tried.

4.09/5  rDev +16.9%

Lucky enough to find this beer! I had this poured out of a 12oz bottle. It poured a cola brown with a touch of an off white head.

It smelled like nothing I have had before: peat, incredibly smoky, oak, molasses, sweet wood almost, very much like scotch and a lot of warming alcohol. I smelled it for a while- very interesting to get all of those intense flavors out of there.

I tasted notes of leather, tobacco, maple, caramel toffee, some licorice as well, oak, mild peat and smoky scotch.

Overall, it tasted like a sipping liquor-hot and warm- smoky, peaty, sweet and scotch like. Personally, I am not a huge fan of scotch but this wasn't too overwhelmingly like scotch, just characteristics of it. Props to BrewDog for doing some interesting stuff though~

It was great to try and I am glad that I did but I do prefer the Sink the Bismarck! better, but they are two different styles.

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%

UNBELIEVABLE! Thanks go out to James from BrewDog and to Graham at Wally's Wine in Westwood, CA for hosting a tasting.

Poured out of a 12 oz stoppered bottle into a clean sampler glass with a dark cola-brown body and a half centimeter of beige head. Lush and beatiful -- I expect that with a heavier pour we'd get a bigger head -- but what I had lasted and was quite appreciable.

The smell was unlike any other beer I've ever had -- cigar-like -- rich, smoky, earthy, oakey. I can pick up on the scotch whiskey and hints of vanilla, and it's boozy, but pleasant and warm. I'm not joking when I say that after I was done with beer, I still enjoyed the aroma from the glass.

The taste is everything you'd expect from the smell, and so much more a whiskey than a beer. In terms of the style, it has enough of the burnt malty brown sugar sweetness and caramel/molasses to pass for some form of an imperial stout, but the real poignant flavors are those of a scotch: oak, vanilla, peat, tobacco, leather. It's really complex and you can pick up on everything.

Mouthfeel is first and foremost, warm. This beer was chilled but that's irrelevant. Minimal carbonation with a full body that's a touch syrupy. If you let it linger, you get a bite from the alcohol and the hops.

Drinkability, in terms of my wanting to drink this, is high. This is not something that you can sit down and casually have a bottle of -- that's for sure -- but if you treat it like a scotch, it's unbelievably tasty and smells delicious, so take it easy and drink it the way you should drink it -- in moderate amounts.

Overall, definitely one of the greatest beers I've ever had -- quite an accomplishment and a worthwhile experience for anyone who really enjoys beer.

Cheers to BrewDog!

4.07/5  rDev +16.3%

Had it over a week-long period. Used a stopper to prevent it from going bad.

Pours with no head, but a few bubbles crop up here and there. Still, looks very nice, sort of dark-brown color. By the end of it, there was not the slightest trace of gas, despite me having used a stopper.

Smells... not like a beer. Very woody, peaty smell, it's obvious from the get-go that it's been aged in whisky casks. Smells very, very alcoholic, but hints of sweetness pop up.

The taste is... definitely unique. At the worst, it's highly experimental, but I definitely enjoyed it. Nowhere near as alcoholic as you'd expect from the smell, but still has a strong kick to it. Caramel flavors are present, but they pale in comparison to the woody taste you get from the whisky tones. I can see why other people don't like it, and it tastes nothing like a beer (and specially nothing like their new beer, Sink the Bismarck), but I think it's lovely. By the end of the week, it seems to have eased off the alcohol a bit. Either that, or I'm getting used to the flavor. It's tasty nevertheless.

It feels extremely warming, but not overly so. No carbonation to be felt, especially not after the a week, but leaves a fresh, piney taste, and, surprise surprise, a lot of alcohol.

Not a session beer, no matter how much you may push up your boundaries, but very drinkable. Was easily able to finish the bottle within a week. Needs a bit of cleaning up, since the alcohol is a tad over the top at moments, but still an excellent brew. Had to dye my hair red (long story) over it and I do not regret it.

1.99/5  rDev -43.1%

Huge thanks to Richard for this surprise beer at a recent tasting. Batch 002 bottle best before Christmas Day 2019. Pours amber brown with a couple of bubbles but no real head to speak of. The strong alcohol does produce some legs to please the eye. I was surprised that this iced imperial stout was not pitch black but instead rather clear copper.

The aroma is immense and ridiculously full of peaty smoke and alcohol. Beyond the nearly offensive smoke lay floral notes and rum raisin. Taste is sherrylike, oxidized, sweet malts. Midpalate is warming, excessively, to a point of physical pain. Smokey, earthy, herbal, and bitter alcoholic finish. The body was spiritlike, feels like hard alcohol and the carbonation is imperceptible.

I was grateful and thrilled to sample this beer, but unable to finish even a tiny sample. Simply put, this tastes nothing like an imperial stout, or even really anything like a beer. It does not taste like a spirit, either, just smokey, sweet, and generally offensive. While Brewdog pushed some boundaries with this beer, this is the only reason it exists. Brewing a tasty beer should take precedence before breaking records, and in this respect, unfortunately, I believe this paragon of brewing has been failed.

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

I debated with myself for a couple days about whether or not I should review this. After all, this was just one of dozens of beers I drank that night and I didn't actually take any notes. However, it was one of the first beers I drank and I feel that I remember it well enough to give it a fair review. I also poured myself a solid 3 oz. of it, which is PLENTY enough to form an opinion.

So anyway....pours black with no head as expected. A high octane burn crept up my nostrils as I stuck them near the glass. I commented "this one doesn't smell that hot...compared to rubbing alcohol." But that wasn't necessarily a dig at the beer, as there were some nice smokey elements that added a bit of depth to the heat. And at 32% I didn't really expect anything different.

The taste, however, was faaaarrr beyond my expectations. Actually, I'm not even sure what my expectations were. But what I got was a rush of liquid smoke and good old fashion Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. I felt like I could glaze some baby back ribs simply by breathing on them afterwards. I didn't think the heat was nearly as bad on the tongue as it was in the smell, either. In fact, I would never have guessed it was such a high ABV beer based strictly on the taste. The scotch whiskey casks were unquestionably a big factor in the taste here. That charred, peaty, campfire taste engulfed my mouth and stayed in between the cracks of my teeth until the Utopias washed it away in a butterscotch bath shortly after.

The mouthfeel on this was full and relatively flat. Not as big of a body as some other high alcohol stouts, but still just about spot on as to what I hoped for.

Drinkability is another issue altogether though. From the opinions of others in the room, it seemed to me that pretty much everyone enjoyed their little 1-2 oz. samples, however they thought it was quite gimmicky and wouldn't want any more. I agree with that sentiment. Until this has time to sit in the bottle for a year or two, I am fine not having it again. Therefore, drinkability takes a bit of a hit.

Overall, this was probably the most unique beer that has ever graced my tongue. It is something everyone should try once just for the opportunity alone. But don't expect the second coming of DAVE, cause this probably isn't it.

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

Huge thanks to Richard for opening this one during our tasting yesterday. This was a "surprise" beer he brought out and I'm glad to get a chance to try it.

A: The pour is surprisingly "light" considering the fact that the base is an imperial stout. The beer is a light brown color with plenty of red highlights and not much in the way of head or carbonation.

S: Obviously, there's a large alcohol component to this beer at 32% ABV. That said, there's more to it than just the heat. There's a slight caramel sweetness, vanilla, and a definite smokiness, almost peaty.

T: The alcohol heat takes a moment to get over, but after that, there are some decent flavors in there. The smoke and peat are a bit more pronounced than in the nose. There's some vanilla, brown sugar, and caramel in the middle with a bitterness to the finish.

M: The lack of carbonation and huge amount of sweetness and alcohol make this too hot and a touch syrupy for my tastes.

D: This is one that I'm glad to say that I tried. I honestly couldn't drink more than an ounce or two at once, and I think that perhaps in a couple decades, this might change a bit and become more palatable. As for now, I might taste it again, but I wouldn't seek it out.

2.81/5  rDev -19.7%

Bottle generously shared by Nick3 on BA - thanks, Nick. *COUGH* gimmick! *COUGH* I'm glad I got to try what was briefly (before the release of Schorschbräu Schorschbock 40%) the world's *COUGH* biggest gimmick! *COUGH* strongest beer. Wow, I really seem to have a terrible cough today. In all seriousness though, this "beer" is definitely interesting, although overpriced and overhyped. I liked it more than others at the tasting, but make no mistake, it will floor you. I feel weird calling this a beer, as it was a lot more like a liquor.

Pours very dark brown with a small tan head and great legs. This is a thick one for sure.

Aroma is very hot and boozy, like a rough scotch. Booze socks you in the face as hard as that guy in the bar punched Snooki on "Jersey Shore." Sweet caramel, roast, oak, and vanilla poke through the intense alcohol.

The most prominent flavor in this beer is BOOOZE! I didn't add all those Os for the hell of it. You're going to taste every bit of that 32% ABV. Bud Select 55 this is not. Definitely too hot. Someone else at the tasting commented that they should have eised and then -bal aged this, not the other way around. I agree. 10 years or so of age might do this beer good. Once you get past the booze though, it's a nice beer. Roasted malt and caramel malt, toffee, oak, and mild peat smoke. Like a Scotch, this needs time to round out. Poor execution there on BrewDog's part in my opinion.

Hot and boozy on the palate with good carbonation, unlike most other beers this strong, and fairly full body. Crazy beer overall, just crazy.

1.6/5  rDev -54.3%

Thanks for sharing this, Nick. My curiosity has been sated.

Dark mahogany brown in the glass, not quite black; on the light side for the world's strongest stout. It pours with surprising life, an inch of light tan head topping the amber body, though it quickly dissipates entirely. Swirling reveals thick, syrupy legs not unlike a spirit or liqueur.

It smells intensely of alcohol, peat, oak, faint roast - a hell of a lot like scotch. The alcohol is punchy and plainly noticeable, but not as stinging as I was expecting. That being said, there isn't much to this beyond peat and alcohol. It's simple and unimpressive.

On the palate it's much more harsh and boozy, with flavors of smoke, peat and a touch of oak. Not terribly sweet, just brutally strong. Tarry, ashy, ridiculously alcoholic and stinging. The body is somewhat full, but not as viscous as you would expect from a beer this big. I don't get much complexity from this, and it could really use more sweetness to balance the alcohol. More anything, really - it's lacking the depth of flavor you'd get from a good Scotch. It finishes harsh and solventy, like a charcoal and nailpolish remover cocktail. Have I mentioned that this is harsh? Holy fuck, what a trainwreck.

4.02/5  rDev +14.9%

Split 3 ways with friends, over the course of an evening...

Into a whisky tumbler, this beer pours a clear medium mahogany colour, with a wisp of soapy beige head, which leaves no lace, as it doesn't touch the edge of the glass. It smells of toasted molasses, caramel, treacle, and soft, slightly peaty whisky-like booze. The taste is strong caramel toffee, roasted malt, and an enveloping booze warming. The carbonation is very low, the body heavy, thick, viscous, smooth, with a slight thinning from the alcohol towards the finish, which shows more a sweet woodiness to go with the persistent dense malt.

This is indeed a decent imperial stout, on growth hormone. Take big and beefy, and make it bigger and beefier, they sure did. Wow. It smells like a sweet whisky, tastes like a strong, but very sippable, stout. However, there's no drinking this one even remotely like any other beer, obviously.

4.2/5  rDev +20%

Split 6 ways from a bottle with friends.

Appearance - a great dark amber scotch or tawny port. Very little to no effervescence.

Smell - Super boozy. Burnt wood & smoke. Almost tannic.

Taste - A lot going on here. Tannins, leather, czech licorice, tobacco, smoke, charred wood, maple, huge whisky & salt.

Mouthfeel - Uber heavy due to lack of carbonation & hot due to the high alcohol. A long & lingering finish full of black walnut, with more salt and tannin that sits on the back of your palate and waits and waits and waits...

Drinkability - I would love to see this sampled by someone who's beer of choice is that beer that uses the word "drinkability" in their most recent marketing...HA! This was a fun beer to share with some good friends. I would need to take my time to enjoy a full glass of this, but would definitely enjoy the changes this beer would go through from start to finish.

4.32/5  rDev +23.4%

Pretty hard to rate this one since it's so unique. Much thanks to @TheArtofBeer for sharing her second bottle with me and friends, and not even trying any of it for herself! Guess she had enough from the first bottle :D.

A - Orangy dark brown slightly amber, semi-transparent cola. Looks like a bourbon whiskey, no head, no bubbles, no fizz

S - Like a lightly boozy spirit. Lighty caramel toffee and smoky tobacco aromas

T - Wow! Really packs a punch on the tounge. Again, like a spirit, reminds me of bourbon. Lots of alcohol boozyness. Not for the weak, or anyone expecting beer like qualities. The alcohol content pretty much masks the "beer." But I did reach down in my pallet and got some caramel, toffee, and hint of woodyness, oak, and a smokey tobacco.

M - No carbonation at all, moderately viscous and a touch creamy

D - This is more like a spirit then a beer as far as look, smell, flavors, and mouthfeel goes. I'm not into hard liquor that much, so it would be very interesting to see what an expert on spirits has to say about this one. It's pretty unique, and technically it's beer, and technically they used a form of distilling to get the high ABV. But if you handed this one to someone in a shot glass, and told them it was whiskey, they'd probably believe you. I'd believe you.

Again, really hard to rate. It really is drinkable for what it is. But you can't have too much of it, so it's really not that drinkable as a beer. Putting down one by yourself might be tough for most people. I normally would give VERY low score to a beer on appearance and mouthfeel if there is no carbonation, no head, no fizz (below average, 2, etc). But I think it still deserves a good score for what it is. I kind of liked it. Some people will not since it's so boozy and not much like a beer at all. It's not sweet as one might expect. It's not syrupy either. It's down right like a nice aged bourbon in my opinion.

Do yourself a favor and share this one with a couple of people if you have one. Drink in moderation.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin from BrewDog