Tactical Nuclear Penguin | BrewDog

Tactical Nuclear PenguinTactical Nuclear Penguin

United Kingdom (Scotland)

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Made by freezing Paradox to remove water.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2009

Reviews: 128 | Ratings: 330
4.12/5  rDev +17.7%

Batch 1

A - Orangy dark brown slightly amber, semi-transparent cola. Looks like a bourbon whiskey, no head, no bubbles, no fizz

S - Like a lightly boozy spirit. Lighty caramel toffee and smoky tobacco aromas

T - Wow! Really packs a punch on the tounge. Again, like a spirit, reminds me of bourbon. Lots of alcohol boozyness. Not for the weak, or anyone expecting beer like qualities. The alcohol content pretty much masks the "beer." But I did reach down in my pallet and got some caramel, toffee, and hint of woodyness, oak, and a smokey tobacco.

M - No carbonation at all, moderately viscous and a touch creamy

D - This is more like a spirit then a beer as far as look, smell, flavors, and mouthfeel goes. I'm not into hard liquor that much, so it would be very interesting to see what an expert on spirits has to say about this one. It's pretty unique, and technically it's beer, and technically they used a form of distilling to get the high ABV. But if you handed this one to someone in a shot glass, and told them it was whiskey, they'd probably believe you. I'd believe you.

Again, really hard to rate. It really is drinkable for what it is. But you can't have too much of it, so it's really not that drinkable as a beer. Putting down one by yourself might be tough for most people. I normally would give VERY low score to a beer on appearance and mouthfeel if there is no carbonation, no head, no fizz (below average, 2, etc). But I think it still deserves a good score for what it is. I kind of liked it. Some people will not since it's so boozy and not much like a beer at all. It's not sweet as one might expect. It's not syrupy either. It's down right like a nice aged bourbon in my opinion.

Do yourself a favor and share this one with a couple of people if you have one. Drink in moderation.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer is dark brown, a chestnut small head with little lacing but good curtains.

Smelling much of roasted tones, raisins, glühwein and a bit funky.

The taste is dominated by sweet dark fruits, strong wine, some sausages and a slight booze presence.

Nearly no carbonation, oily and alcoholic, a coarse dry finish. Big body.

A hard and complex beer - or whatever it is.

2.28/5  rDev -34.9%

A: Very dark brown

S: Kinda gross, bacon, soy sauce

T: Bacon, soy sauce, ashtray

M: Like a whiskey...but surprisingly, the alcohol bite is not overwhelming

O: Wouldn't get this again. Split a bottle with some guys at work. I have to say, its impressive that they made something this strong, but it really didn't work out.

I can't say I'm very surprised...

1.54/5  rDev -56%

Thanks to Mike for sharing this bottle. Reviewed from notes from a tasting event a few weeks back.

A- Solid black, your typical mediocre looking stout. A light head which dissipates rather quickly.

S- Eeek. Smells like straight alcohol mixed with some smoked wood. I've smelled vodka that is less boozy. Hard to make out much due to the heat.

T- Blech. Tastes much like the smell. Straight booze and some smokiness. Some malt profile, but everything is overwhelmed by the booze. It was difficult to finish a 2oz pour. Some notes of port and soy, but the flavors don't work well together.

M- Again, the booziness just hits your mouth so hard. Not inviting, infact makes my mouth unhappy.

O- I had some decent expectations for this beer, but knew it was going to be interesting. There were 5 of us, and we had 12+ bottles at the tasting. We all felt that despite being the most expensive, this was the worst beer of the evening. Even if someone gifted me some, I'm not sure I'd drink it again.

1.94/5  rDev -44.6%

This beer is just an exercise in stupidity, they need to learn extreme brewing from Sam Adams Utopias and find real yeast strains instead of icing their beers like they did with this one.

The beer is dark of course and looks like a healthy stout.

It's downhill from there. The smell is ok with lots of peaty malt and burned notes dominating...

The taste is like eating a piece of charcoal thats been used, its that smoky and peaty and carbony. Yikes! Really hard to drink, it scorches your throat and mouth, totally destroys your palate with peat and not in a good scotch way, in a way over the top kind of way, gross.

Overall this beer is one to avoid if you are a serious beer drinker.

3.92/5  rDev +12%

330 ml bottle, Batch 008, best before 27-07-20. After taking it out of the fridge, I let the bottle sit out for around 30-35 minutes before opening it. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown/black, and what little head it had fizzled away pretty quickly. No lacing at all, but there are "legs" that I can see when I swirl the beer around the glass. I don't think I've noticed that in a beer before, I only usually see that when I'm drinking liquor. Aroma is very boozy. Along with the booze, I can also smell dark fruit, smoke/peat, chocolate, and some molasses. The brew tastes like booze (sherry), smoke/peat, dark fruit (raisins, cherries, figs) and molasses. It's still hot, but the other flavors aren't overpowered by the hotness. There's also a boozy smoky/sweet finish that lingers around for a long time. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a syrupy and very, very slick and coating with low carbonation. As I've noticed with other BrewDog stouts I've tried in the past, this is a thinner stout than I'm used to but since I liked the syrupy slickness I'm not going to knock down the score too much. I think this is a solid beer, it'll be interesting to see how this one ages. Definitely worth a try, it's surprisingly drinkable for a 32% ABV brew even though it took me about an hour to finish the bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

Tactical Nuclear Penguin is true to its name: it asserts the insanity of Mutually Assured Destruction, the cold war nuclear deterrence strategy. It, like MAD, is insane. It also cooled the alcohol-content wars that consumed Northern Europe recently.

Tastes of deep Sherry oak and smokey roasty malts and … alcohol. Lots of it. It smells like a musty living room after a major fire. Acetone. Drinking is not pleasant. But I appreciate the craftsmanship that made this beer possible.

It is exceptionally difficult to review this "beer." Arguably one of the most extreme beers is existence, it is not pleasant to taste. It is even difficult to compare it to anything I have tasted. But I have tried, and I am very grateful that it was available by the dram at the new BrewDog bar in Edinburgh in the Cowgait.

3.71/5  rDev +6%

Had this last night with a few friends. This beer blew my mind. Glad I got to try it.

Split 3 ways, about 2.5 oz each into Clarets.

Apppearance-Suprisingly had carbonation, and a head for a couple seconds, which went away quickly. Looks like some uncarbonated coke. Doesn't look like an Imperial stout, but does look dangerous.

Smell-Very complex. Big booze on the nose. Sweet fruits, booze, vanilla, booze, light chocolate and booze. Has plenty of beer features.

Tastes-Front of the tongue alot of dried fruits of the bat, with a alcohol burn in back. In the middle you get some smokiness and on the back end the booze mellows out a bit and you get hit with some chocolate. Interesting to say the least.

Mouthfeel-Lightly syrupy, coats the mouth. Full bodied.

Overall-This is an amazing beer, port, or whatever you want to call it. Has it's Imperial Stout features, more like a Strong Ale in my opinion. I got this for free, so the price tag wasn't an issue. But I would never pay the price for it. However it's a great novelty beer and something I'm very glad I tried. Reccommended to the Beer Connessiuer.

3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

This is an aggressive but very complex beer. It must be sipped like a fine scotch. Its cola black with minimum carbonation and very small dark fizzy head that fades fast and leaves oily lace. The smell is of oak and smoke with hints of leather, peat and roasted malts. The taste is dominated with bourbon, smoke and oak on top of roasted malt with hints of dark chocolate. Hints of peat and molasis with notes of leather and dark raisins. Earthy hops peek through a hot, malty, smokey bomb. Its full, aggressive, and complex. The mouthfeel is thick and hot. Its a definite sipper and not for the faint of heart drinker.

1.76/5  rDev -49.7%

Appearance -- Pours a translucent cola brown. Completely still.

Smell -- The predominant aroma is of solvent alcohol - incredibly harsh on the nose. Beyond that, a dab of chocolate, treacle, and smoke. Strange.

Taste -- Again, the beer leads of with harsh alcohol, akin to bargain basement grain alcohol. Beyond that, there is sweet chocolate, molasses, and smoky roast malt. Really minimal residual beer 'essence' left in this beer. I'll give them this: whatever amount of smoked malt they used lent a Scotch whiskey-esque note, which probably comprises the half point's worth of what I liked in this.

Mouthfeel -- Syrupy and still. So much burning...

Overall -- Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad to have tried it. I appreciate the experimentation, but for me, this just doesn't work. Perhaps my pour was especially sovent-y as some others at the tasting thought this was the highlight. Me, I just can't fathom it.

Your mileage may vary.

3.87/5  rDev +10.6%

Ahh, Brewdog, we meet again.

Batch 8. 350ml bottle into a tasting glass. Thanks to OrgasmicChemist for digging up my notes!

Appearance: Cola syrup. Nothing else.

Aroma: Strong peat combined with molasses & toffee. Lots of whiskey earthiness and soil, perhaps a hint of soy sauce.

Flavor: Gooey oxidized raisins and sherry. Peat is breathy in the finish with some leather. Body is warming but not hot.

Mouthfeel: Slick and creamy with a full body sans carbonation.

Overall: Quite drinkable for the 32% and surprisingly impressive for Brewdog. Restrained, yet aggressive at the same time. Glad I got to try this, but there's no way I'd shell out the exorbitant amount of money this beer costs.

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

Sampled at Dark Lord Day, thanks to a very generous soul.

A: Murky brown with zero head. Left legs on the glass like used engine oil. Not something you encounter often in the beer world.

S: Hot alcohol and leathery tobacco. If you could imagine how the rich Lebowski's study smells (before Dude adds his own scents) - it's like that. Interesting nose, but again, it isn't often you'll get that out of a beer.

T: I'm not sure how I felt about it - good or bad. It was most certainly interesting. It tasted how a fine cigar smells (not the smoke, but the actual tobacco leaf.) Extremely hot alcohols, very warming. The extreme concentration makes it very thick, and the flavors stay on your tongue longer than they're welcome. I could see a lot of people enjoying this, but I'm not sure that I did.

M: Thick and flat. Lingering silk textures line your mouth for a long time afterward.

O: I'm glad I got to try this one, and it was certainly an experience I won't soon forget. If you've ever got a shot at trying it, do. I think I'll pass next time.

4.12/5  rDev +17.7%

Beer poured from bottle (cool brown bag) into Snifter glass

A - Beer poured with a dark brown/burgundy colored body; body looked thicker than most beer, but it definitely wasn't that syrupy in appearance; no carbonation; no head formed during pour; the beer didn't form an lacing on the glass but it had LEGS, haven't seen that very often

S - Very, very smoky (from the oak barrel aging process); whiskey oak smell; heavy ABV; liquorish; roasted nuts, specifically chestnuts

T - Smoky flavor is very prevalent in this beer, watch it, you have been warned!; woody/oak; roasted chestnuts; very, very hint taste of berry in the back-end, otherwise it finishes off with a grainy, liquorish flavor

M - Tangy and spicy sensations was over the tongue; very, very unique blend of flavor profile washed over the tongue, to the extreme!; smooth body but definitely burns down the hatch

D - I can't believe I tried this; I have to thank BeerMan1965 for giving me access to the exclusive and rare brew; WOW! unique and a great brew; I feel privileged to have tried this; I encourage others looking to try something VERY different to give it a try

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Can't believe I got some of this finally. This brew is out of this world. BrewDog has gone above and beyond the limits of brewing something very extreme here. This beer is very very black, it's aroma fills a room with whiskey, rich dark malts, and a little smokiness. Upon taking the first sip it kicks you in the teeth, really hard. My eyes opened with enjoyment. I was so amazed at how freaking brutal this beer was. I wanted to savor every smokey sip of it as much as possible but the longer it took and the warmer it got it became more difficult for me to drink. The Alcohol is so strong it actually burned the sides of my tongue everything I took a sip. I enjoyed the fact that I managed to get a bottle of this, it was very exciting to try and to have others try. I have a great deal of respect for BrewDog and this beer but I can't see myself buying this again. It was surely a once in a lifetime beer.

4.22/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma:Smokey, malty, dark malts, hot alcohol. It smells a little like a whiskey.

Appearance:Dark, cola colored. It's pretty flat. It doesn't have lacing so much as a syrupy residue that sticks to the side of the glass.

Taste:The foretaste is smokey and tangy. There's a huge malty sweetness that peaks in the midtaste. There's smoke, woody flavors, and hops in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:There is hot alcohol in the foretaste and aftertaste, but it takes a break in the midtaste. There's actually not as much hot alcohol as I thought there would be. It's very thick and syrupy. No carbonation to speak of.

Drinkability:This beer is quite tasty, and a much better beer than I thought it would be. There's a ton of complex whiskey related flavors (smoke and wood) that give the beer a lot of depth.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Sampled at The Cask Republic in New Haven, CT

A: Dark brown, completely translucent. No hint of carbonation in the appearance. Coats the glass as its swished around.

S: Big aromas. Plenty of stinging alcohol in the nose, yet enough character to keep my interest. The smell is complex, sort of like charred wood laced with bourbon.

T: The initial taste is difficult to describe. Its really kind of like raw hide soaked in barbecue sauce or something, joined by dark cherry like sweetness. What follows is an absolute blast of smoke. Call it camp fire, smoked bacon, TNP smashes you with it. The smoke eventually stomps out any other flavor offered by this beer, for better or worse. Alcohol is present of course, but really takes a back seat in comparison to the nose.

M: Zero carbonation, which I expected. Body is just barely robust enough to support these flavors.

D: Drinkability isn't terrible considering how boisterous this beer is, but really my sample was enough. Worth a try if you have the opportunity.

1.19/5  rDev -66%

Thanks to dpuia for sharing a 375ml bottle of this hyped-up beer on 2/1/11. Let's see how this turns out...

A - Emerged from the bottle as a menacing reddish brown murky mess with no head or carbonation, but plenty of oozy "leggings" (aka clear lacing) all over the glass.

S - Aroma is not appetizing at all. AT ALL. Some things that come to mind? Here's a list: beef jerky, dog treats, soy sauce, wet dog food and old shoes. Wow. I am afraid to put this in my mouth!

T - Oh my God! This is literally alcoholic soy sauce, or even moreso akin to Worcestershire sauce with rancid meat. TNP exhibits perpetual alcohol burn on the palate. Awful, or as the British might say... dreadful! I wish I could give this score a "zero". This is dis-freakin'-gusting!

M - Medium bodied with an oily, slick texture. Alcohol burn is akin to rubbing alcohol.

D - This beer had me longing for a Bud Chelada chaser! We saved this for the last beer of the night, and we actually had to drink something else (AleSmith Decadence) to get the flavor off our palates. To quote Bubbles: "You can barely get 'er in ya, but my fuck it'll get you some drunk!"

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"It smells like a box of old shoes."

4.72/5  rDev +34.9%

This beer pours an opaque dark brown color; almost like melted tootsie rolls. No head. The aroma has notes of grapes and chocolate. This beer is not for the weak at heart. Don't be frightened off by the intensity of this beer's smell. The flavor of this drink epically complex. Layers and layers of chocolate and dark cherries give way to a hint of prune. For an Imperial Stout, this beer is surprisingly thin but does an excellent job of coating the whole inside of your mouth. As you swallow this drink you can most certainly feel it going down your throat and into your belly. The finish on this drink, despite the ABV, is decently smooth. This beer helps me understand why people love sipping on whiskey or scotch on the rocks.

4.67/5  rDev +33.4%

This is a beer to enjoy with a few friends during the cold winter months. The beer drinks more like a fine scotch then it does a beer. A 375ml bottle is enough for more than a few sniffers for a few friends. For a unique experience one must try this insane beer.

Had at Cask Republic in New Haven, CT.

L: Pours a deep brown/black with no head whatsoever leaving a thick wine-like lacing of all liquid down the glass.
S: Smells of alcohol - scotch and or whiskey, malts, and some sweet sugar/molasses aromas.
T: Tastes of scotch mainly with some malt and molasses mixed in with some dark fruit flavors and some coffee flavors mixed in as well.
M: HOT (but expected), warming, no carbonation.
D: Definitely one of those novelty beers you have to try if you have the chance, but not very drinkable in comparison to beer, but it would be if it were compared to a wine or a harder alcohol.

4.47/5  rDev +27.7%

So I poured this beer for myself and a few friends into small sample glasses. Poured very dark with almost no head.

Smells kind of like scotch and molasses.

Taste scotch and coffee with not-so-subtle sweet flavors. Mild bitter aftertaste, but not overwhelming.

Very sticky...coats the tongue and throat. Flavors linger in the mouth indefinitely.

This beer is very hard to drink, but worth drinking. I could barely get down the sample glass, and most of my friends felt the same way.

It's worth trying this beer, but I don't think I have the desire to drink it more than a few times in my life. It's great in small doses, but too big a beer, and too expensive to buy again.

2.21/5  rDev -36.9%

Appearance: Probably the best part here. Rich dark mahogany all the way through. Sexy viscous legs. Looks flat.

Aroma: Vanilla, charred ass, smoke, burny alcohol. Some nice barrel character lurking behind all the burnt rubber and smoke.

Taste: Charcoal, smoked meat, ferocious alcohol, peat.. Oh so much peat and phenolic gnarlyness. The lingering ghosts of imperial stouts passed. Not sweet at all.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly inoffensive. Some carbonation! Rich and oily.

Drinkability: The lowest of the low, except perhaps chelada.

Humongous novelty, that's about it.

2.74/5  rDev -21.7%

Thanks to urbancaver for the Hookup.
A-Pours a medium brown with absolutely no head
S-Very complex and extremely boozy. You can tell you are in for a ride once this hits your nose.
T-A lot better than I expected. Very complex, almost like their is an alcohol party going on in my mouth. I don't know if it is good or bad. Definitely drink it slow. To fast and the taste is really bad. Get some oak smokiness. Tastes more like a spirit than beer.
M-Loved it in my mouth, burned on the way down
D-I was thinking this would be a 0, so i guess a 2 is pretty good. Definitely would take me 2+ hours to finish whole bottle.

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance- pours reddish brown. Sort of clear.

Smell- very smokey with lots of sweetness on the nose. Sme brown sugar and maybe maple underneath

Taste- something almost antiseptic in the taste. Boozy but lots of character. Oak, smokiness, drk fruit flavors, maybe raisins. Can taste some peatiness i think

Mouthfeel- For a 32% "beer" it's got a great mouthfeel. Astringent almost.

Drinkability- i have to say im most impressed. Very drinkable for what it is

1.4/5  rDev -60%

Got this and split it with 4 friends. I pured about 3 ounces into a snifter.

We had been wanting to try this for a while, and while 2 of my friends thought it was ok, I was highly disappointed. The one thing that makes this beer overbearing is the peat/leather/smoke smell it leave in the aftertaste. And this had nothing to do with the ABV. You could smell the beer from nearly across the room. I can taste the smoke aftertaste hours later and is just too much to ever drink more than what I had. I love many of Brewdogs beers, but this beer is just way to over the top with stuff I didn't like. I would not recommend anyone waste their money on this unless you get drawn in by the shock factor like I did.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin from BrewDog